Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF AT-6 Kit Bash

Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Shihtzutan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TF AT-6 Kit Bash

Hi JP, not sure who you are addressing, but I do not build for people. Time permitting, I may consider a tandom build, all expenses paid; that's where I build two of the same kit at the same time, but one would be mine.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:31 PM
The Mouth

hey Shihtzutan

do you still have the video of me flying my mustang at warbirds over woodstock? if so do you think you could email me the video?
thanks
The Mouth
Old 03-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Shihtzutan

Hi Mouth,
No, I deleted it, as you recall it was really windy that day and the microphone picked up a lot wind noise, I figured it wasn't worth keeping.
That said, did someting happen to Hollywood?

To those who are wondering what happened to this build, . . . brrrrrrr it's cold in the basement!! I'll probably get more done this weekend and come back with another update soon. I still can't find a 1/7 scale full body pilot. I want it to look good but I really don't want to spend the time making one.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:43 PM
JP8650
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: Shihtzutan

Hi JP, not sure who you are addressing, but I do not build for people. Time permitting, I may consider a tandom build, all expenses paid; that's where I build two of the same kit at the same time, but one would be mine.

Yeah I was askin if you might wanna build me one of those......should you change your mind please let me know.

any updates on the T6?
Old 03-06-2010, 10:05 AM
The Mouth

thats ok it was really windy. nothing happened to it i just dont have a video of me flying it and just recently remembered you taking some footage.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Shihtzutan

Hi JP, I may be willing to sell this one with the radio (Spectrum DX7). Not sure on the price yet, . . . and I've only been thinking about it, so this is not a sure thing; just so you know, don’t get your hopes up. One of the nice things about a .60-size airplane is that I can carry it whole in the back of my SUV for those quick after work sorties, but I've been eyeing the new JR9503 radio and want to cover the costs by maybe selling something like this as a package deal. I found it’s always easier to sell a radio if a plane goes with it.

Yes, more pics are coming, but adding rivets take time, I’ve been at it on and off for almost a week! I'm currently painting the dummy radial. Tonight I plan on installing the Satio .100, and running the flex cable to the throttle servo. If it's not too late, airbrushing the stars and bars onto the U.S. insignia, so I'm very close to being finished. I finally found a 1/7-scale full body pilot from Century Jet to grace the front seat; I ordered it last week. I’ll be weathering it next.

At the end of this thread I’ll list everything I used for this build. I almost always discard the stuff the kit comes with and use my preferred accoutrements.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Shihtzutan

I used a 14 oz Hayes fuel tank, it approximates what came with the kit in size and doesn’t use a stopper nor require bending aluminum tubes. I capped off the opening in the firewall with a slice of wooden dowel and drilled fuel tubing size holes in it. Two pieces of 3/32 inch ply makeup the fuel tank mounting rails. I glued two strips of Du-Bro R/C Foam Rubber to cushion the tank. The tank is held in place with Velcro wire ties. The tank is mounted off center to allow clearance for the throttle cable and permit a clean shot to the servo. I prefer cable to wire for throttle set ups.

The pilot is hideous. I didn’t expect such a piece of crap, but considering how long I’ve been looking for one, I’m going to have to make do. I could easily see finger-prints in the plastic in various places on the pilots body in line workers vain attempt to rectify the outcome of a screwed up molding process. The pilot’s pose is wrong, both hands will be in the pilots lap if I don’t do something about it. I elected to saw off the pilots left arm and rig a balsa appendage. Put a heat gun to the hand so he will hold a stick and wrapped his fingers around it. Salvaging the plastic shoulder, I glued it to the balsa. Because his body is opened up, I used scrap foam from my fuel tank installation and sat in his body so it puffed out a little and looked about right. Using CA and strips of paper towel, I covered the foam and put him back together. To hold him in the seat, I carved out the backside of his butt and glued in a balsa block. I sealed his pants with Gorilla Glue so it expands and reshapes his butt. To mount him I will drive a screw up through the seat and into his waszzoo. I will smooth the imperfections in this guy with a Dremel tool before painting him. Note to self, Century Jet makes crappy full body pilots.

I prep the seats for paint by rubbing some watered down lightweight spackle to seal the grain. When dry it's sanded and painted.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36893.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1400767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95278.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1400768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24160.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1400769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29067.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1400770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59592.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1400771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yk66703.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1400772  
Old 03-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Shihtzutan

Some more pilot work. . . filled in and ready for paint. This poor guys right eye was carved out! The used 20-minute epoxy and microballoons, made into a paste as filler. When it sets a little it can be smoothed with a finger of denatured alcohol (it beats sanding). I also used a thin layer of microballoons to smooth the rough sculpted surface of his face and jacket. Attached are a few pics of the cockpit. My research says the cockpit is zinc chromate green, for everything, so here it is. The switch and charge jack are mounted on a 3/32 plywood plate. It’s held with one screw and is located in the front cockpit. Granted it’s not scale, but it’s convincing, functional, and neatly done. I really didn’t want to mount my switch on the side of the fuselage. The pull pull servo is behind the rear seat, it just too cool to hide! Again not scale, but clean, neat and functional.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48713.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1403150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75508.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1403151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84632.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.5 KB