Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:43 PM
sundogz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Unofficial

Jetsprintsmasher, pmdevlin was talking about another, larger, boat. But I'm glad you're here because you might oughta just run one of those batteries (if you're talking about the Tear Into) because that is considerable weight and could be the cause of your esc's going out (too high amp draw). A single 2200ms 3s lipo should run a 20mm brushless in that boat for 15-20 minutes wide open. If you're not getting that for runtime, you might have something binding. And it could be the crappy coupler they supply that has the shaft cocked slightly. Or lack of lubricant and/or crud from dirty water in the rear bushing can seize the shaft to the bushing, causing friction/binding as it spins in the stator housing.

Pmdevlin, you just had some bad luck there! Turnigy is their flagship battery and is underrated. I'd put them up against batteries three times their cost (don't let them know that!). But I've never needed their 'help', and so haven't been bitten (yet - knock on wood). I"m not sure why you came to that conclusion on cause of meltdown, it sounds to me like the Castle crapped out, taking out a battery (it must have been quite a load). Don't let it get you down. If you had gotten that walkera motor back a spell, you'd be tweaking for speed or spending money on something else to go just a little faaaaaster... [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 03-05-2010, 06:24 PM
jetsprintbasher976
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off f that stock coupling to many problems and cheap cheap cheap! have like 5 of them and tried everything i could thinkof on them with no luck, just throw them away! people! and i cut the mount off the jet and made my own mount much more stabel and quieter . plus i used the graupner u joint in the nqd while the graupner sits and waits for a 28mm kmb! anywho
have you seen my vid on the graupner ? thats the one i run the 2 3s 2280mahs lipos in and have no issues with weight. one at a time and the sit on either side of the jet to put all the wait in the back , and if you look in my videos thats how i get the bow to launch out of the water like the real ones. i only run one lipo in the nqd.

also all my blown esc's are doo to water. they were my first ones with sprayon ducktape worked for 3 months or so know i have crossion x (my new best friend)waterproofs anything in seconds.and i put custom cooling on all of them(check out my graupner build thread you'll c)never had heat issues. and i made new bushings and put a bearing in the jet to fit the graupner impeller and shaft.

btw sudogz sent friend invite on youtube and subscribed

Old 03-05-2010, 06:44 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

i cut the mount off of mine made it alot easier to mount the motor . and all i use is the grumpner ujoint on the mini jets works great . held up to 38k and still going
Old 03-05-2010, 06:52 PM
pmdevlin

ah yes Sundgz, its me all over, ALWAYS crappin around, and regretting it afterwards!!! It was after someone who is far more knowledgeable than me in electronics did some serious tests, the fets on the castle actually disintegrated (yep it was on another boat, not the nqd), ther is a technical explanation that resulted in voltage gouing wrong way into the esc via the motor spinning a few times, it was a few months ago and was a real pain in the ass (pic attached)
Anybody got a good solutuion for getting lube into the driveline?, what are people using? I was thinking about an oiler tube (pic) and feed oil in from a syringe, anybody got any ideas??

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88656.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1391698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92823.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1391699  
Old 03-06-2010, 11:35 AM
sundogz

ORIGINAL: jetsprintbasher976

btw sudogz sent friend invite on youtube and subscribed

Thx Jetsprint I'll check that out. It all sounds good. Sdg

Pmdevlin, I can't tell you the last time I bought something - anything - and left it alone. [X(] For some reason I have this nagging need to take things apart to see how (well or shabby) it is made. And you know what happens next - remove the 'unnecessary' parts, beef up the other stuff, etc, etc. Usually for the better, but sometimes notsomuch Argh, it's a curse!
Old 03-08-2010, 03:30 AM
similar

I'm having some power issues.

I've done a fair amount of trawling through the internet and haven't managed to find much info to solve my problem.  (Typical, I think, of most nubs)

I recently bought a 3000Kv brushless motor and matched esc, plus a servo as a 'combo'.  I 'borrowed' the tx and rx from an RC car and installed it all.  Perhaps 'installed' isn't quite correct, as the rx and esc are just taped into place for testing it out at this stage.  I tried a 1500mAh NiMH and when I hit the power I get about 1 second of running  'rrr-rAHP' and that's about it.  I then tried a 1250mAh 3s LiPO from a crashed plane and get 'rrrrr-RRRR-RRRAAAAHP' and again stopping.  Although I can maintain the motor at the 'RRRRR' stage for some time with the LiPO, if I go over 3/4 throttle it cuts out.  (You may have to say parts of the last sentences out loud...)

Ok - enough background; here's some reasoning...

From what I've been able to find online, NiMH batteries don't go much over 2C-3C discharge, so from a 1500mAh I'll get around 3A to 4.5A output, and the LiPO is 1250mAh and 10C, so I should get 12.5A.  The motor/esc combo has a full load current of around 30A, and as the esc has voltage protection for LiPOs, I'm thinking that when the motor comes onto (or near) full load the NiMH and LiPO I've tried so far can't match the required current and the esc detects the voltage drop across the batteries and cuts the power.

I'm I on the right track? 
 I don't really want to cough up the cash for a 2000+mAh 15C LiPO only to find I have the same problem.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:36 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

is this in the water testing or dry testing . if its doing it in the water try running it out of the water to see if it is a load factor . if it will run out of the water im thanking your on the right track . but if it doesnt you could have some binding in the drive line . try removeing the motor and fire it up
Old 03-08-2010, 06:43 AM
similar

In the water.  

Revs hard dry, I tried a couple of tests holding the unit out of the water and lowering it down until it grabbed.  
Old 03-08-2010, 06:56 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

one other thing have you checked to see if the esc is set on a diffrent battery for the lipo cut out . i know some are auto . but there are some you have to set . just an idea . i have had something like this happen . it was b/c the esc wasnt matched to the motor . that was a mystery 70a esc on a ammo motor .
Old 03-08-2010, 07:00 AM
SS132OFT

I'm wondering if it's reving too hard and when in the water it's pulling the blades out of alignment and rubbing on something?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 AM
sundogz

Similar: what esc/motor combo do you have? Pics? Are we talking about the Tear Into jet boat here? Maybe your shaft came out of the bushing when installing the motor/coupling and when under load the impeller is rubbing the sides of the intake channel.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:15 PM
illz302

OK guys I have read this entire thread I have purchased one of these NQD Tear Into Jet Boats and I have a etti 50A esc and a 3200kv 380 sized brushless motor I want to put in this boat when it gets here can someone tell me what else i will need to make this happen? Will the motor bolt right up to the current mounting plate? Do i need a new coupler?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:49 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

the mounting holes are at 16mm apart and youll probly need a new cupler one from what ever your motor is to a 2.3mm shaft . and youll need a servo for steering i use a hitc hb55 . and a radio system .

im user you motor screw holes are 3mm so youll have to do some shaving to the holes and the troth that goes between th shaft seal and mounting plate for the screw heads b/c the stock motor uses 2.5mm
Old 03-08-2010, 02:51 PM
illz302

thats what i thought ok so can someone link me to a coupler that will work for a normal 380 sized shaft and then work for the 2.3mm shaft on the other end?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:54 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

380 motors can very in shaft size from 2mm-3mm or even 1/8"
Old 03-09-2010, 06:36 PM
similar

I definitely got the shaft into the bush, I recall it being a bit tricky (fat fingers) getting the stator screws and the bush/shaft lined up.  Shining a torch in the intake and peeking up the nozzle shows heaps of clearance the whole way around.

The esc has portection options at 2.8, 2.9, and 3.0v but no option to disable.  It wasn't particularly expensive, and I think it was built for use with LiPOs only.

The reason I'm leaning towards the battery being the issue, is because of the significant difference in output from the LiPO before the protection cuts in.  I can only get about 1/4 throttle from the NiMH, but  3/4 from the LiPO, and if I don't go over 3/4 it will continue to run.  

On a side note - There's a part of me that just wants to glue a small piece of rubber between the trigger and the handle at about the 3/4 mark, and call it sorted...  

Old 03-09-2010, 07:03 PM
pmdevlin

have you set up the esc with the tx and rx?
I might be stating the obvious, but here goes, on first hook up, you have to set the throttle range with a brushless esc. Typically, here is the deal!
Turn on tx, push throttle stick to top (leave the sub trim at bottom), hook up battery whilst its at full throttle(with your 3rd hand!), esc will emit some sort of tone, realease throttle stick to neutral, dont wait too long otherwise esc will start beeping as its going into other set up perameters.
Unhook battery, reconnect with stick at neutral (assuming there is no reverse on the esc), esc will go through set up, dont touch stick or you are tellling it to change a set up, when armed, try the throttle and it should rev at max throttle. Its not advisable to rev these things out of water, as the water is helping the brass bushing in the stator to be lubricated and stay cool, revving out of water could heat it up and cause binding or seizure
If you still have problems, you have disregarded the batteries, as both have the problem, if its close to you its not rx,(range issues) I reckon its the esc, have you got any pics or the esc make and spec?

On the battery thing, as I understand it (if wrong please correct me!)
Last sunday I ran with a nimh 2/3 sub c 1500mah pack, fresh off the charger, 12v. 6 mins it ran great, then fell away to boring very quickly, then I used a 3 cell 11.1v 2800mah 30c lipo from a heli. The speed was the same initially, as both battery packs are delivering the same volts (well almost) bit like having the same size car engine. The difference now is between the 1500mah and 2800mah, which is like the fuel in the tank, and determins how far the battery willl run under same load, bigger fueel tank, further run at same speed befiore it starts to run out. Then we have the "c" rating, which with the nimh was very low, probably 2c? compared to the lipo 30c. This is how fast the battery discharges, or allows the fuel to flow, like a little carburetor and twin webbers!, latter is faster!

Ignoring the weight difference, and battery chemistry, the lipo will deliver for me best results, as my boats are for racing, I want straight line speed, and want 15 mins runtime, the guys running on streams dont need the out and out straight line speed, so could run nimh, which will stand far more abuse, getting wet, and running to flat.

Also, your motor may be a real amp hungry thing and at full throttle putting the esc into shut down, if you just run at 1/3 throttle, does it cut out then?

Keep the questions coming, I am sure you will get the answers here, there are some real good guys here!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 PM
sundogz

ORIGINAL: similar
The reason I'm leaning towards the battery being the issue, is because of the significant difference in output from the LiPO before the protection cuts in. I can only get about 1/4 throttle from the NiMH, but 3/4 from the LiPO, and if I don't go over 3/4 it will continue to run.
Deja Vu. What esc/motor combo do you have? Pics? We could make a better prognosis of this much sooner with better information. I also suspect the battery is getting run down to X volts and the esc is shutting things down. Some esc's allow you to set this to ignore (off) and/or to cut down the power. Give us more info!!.[sm=drowning.gif] (I just like that smiley)
Old 03-10-2010, 08:47 PM
illz302

I know I saw some pictures in here of someone running a traxxas 12t brushed motor in this boat can anyone tell me or preferrably link me to the coupler and mount to use to do that? Also I am looking for stock couplers for this boat if anyone has any stock motor couplers for this boat let me know I want to buy it from you.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:47 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

im thanking it was a grumpner drive . b/c the come with aq 550-600 mount and a 1/8 to 3mm coupler in the kit
Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 AM
damfurst

ORIGINAL: illz302

I know I saw some pictures in here of someone running a traxxas 12t brushed motor in this boat can anyone tell me or preferrably link me to the coupler and mount to use to do that? Also I am looking for stock couplers for this boat if anyone has any stock motor couplers for this boat let me know I want to buy it from you.
Dragon is right about it being a Graupner mini jet drive because it was mine back on page 2. While you could use this motor by making a motor mount from alum angle (which is what I did later after breaking the mini drive mount) this set up would be quite slow. I also tried a graupner 600 motor, but it wasn't much faster. A Brushless motor 380 size is the better way to go overall.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 AM
illz302

ORIGINAL: damfurst

Dragon is right about it being a Graupner mini jet drive because it was mine back on page 2. While you could use this motor by making a motor mount from alum angle (which is what I did later after breaking the mini drive mount) this set up would be quite slow. I also tried a graupner 600 motor, but it wasn't much faster. A Brushless motor 380 size is the better way to go overall.

Interesting thanks guys so now I am off to give hobbyking more of my money!
Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

ORIGINAL: damfurst

yep i did the same thing with mine when the nqd impeller was tacken out by a rock .
Old 03-15-2010, 08:33 PM
livin4thehunt

Hey I have been looking at these awesome little boats, so i bought one. Im just getting started in this kinda stuff and was wondering if anyone could help me out.  Can anyone give me a list of parts i would need to fully modd a nqd tear into jet boat and maybe where to purchase the parts. Thanks
Old 03-15-2010, 08:35 PM
livin4thehunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.