Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS FL 70's, junk or otherwise????

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS FL 70's, junk or otherwise????

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

Well, it did not last very long in the OS line up.
It lasted six years! Some of the car and heli engines are out for only two years or so.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:58 AM
gchdavid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any suggestions regarding my last post above?

Thanks.

Chris
Old 03-10-2010, 11:05 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jaka

When it comes to glow plugs the manufacturers makes it very simple for us modelers as there are only one plug to use in most four strokes and that is the OS F plug.
The Saito SS plug is also a good one, and is a bit better priced.

Make sure you change glow plug after the initial 6 flights or so, as the plug's filament gets contaminated from the metal particles resultant of the initial run-in wear. I have 4 plugs that I use exclusively for running-in on the bench.
Good advice. I keep several that are marked as break-in plugs. The new plugs that come with engines are removed until I think the initial break in is finished. Then, I put those back in for flying and the break-in plug goes back in the tool box.

Also, that was good advice about seals. No need to worry over them.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:20 AM
gchdavid

So I shouldn't remove the bearing seals? How does the timing system get lubrication then?

Just want to make sure so I don't hurt it by not doing anything when i had the chance.

Thanks.

Chris
Old 03-10-2010, 11:30 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The rear bearing does not have seals. It has only shields.

The part # is 6001Z which is merely a shielded bearing. Oil will flow through it.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 AM
gchdavid

Shouldn't I be able to blow air through from the rear of the crankcase if I remove the rocker cover or are the pushrod tubes sealed to the pushrods? I ask because last night I was not able to get any air to flow if I blew through the rear of the crankcase with the rocker cover removed (without the rear cover of course). If oil is going to flow through so should air, right?

Thanks.

Chris
Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 AM
w8ye

To truely measure the crankcase ventilation would require a leak down test.

That is to apply a pressure to the rear of the crank case and watch the pressure slowly beed down through the valve cover area.

Oil on the lifters will likely prevent your observance of air passing them. But oil under pressure while the lifeters are moving up and down will pass the lifters.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:55 AM
gchdavid

Ok then. I will not touch it. Less work for me.

What I will do is open that valve cover after every day of flying and lube it with oil just in case.

I will do the same with the camshaft area...

After reading lots, being that this engine has minimal "blow by" due to the ring less piston design, it seems as though the main source of lubrication for the crankcase area is the line that goes to the muffler. Why are people saying this line should be disconnected because it will cause early failure?

Chris
Old 03-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Patxipt

Why are people saying this line should be disconnected because it will cause early failure?
Ignorance, plain and simple. Folks that say that don't know how the lubrication system works for the FL-70.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:59 PM
gchdavid

Ok, so I will just make sure and lube everything in between sessions just in case and hook everything up like it should be.

What fuel should I use? Castor makes a mess but its probably a good idea....however, synthetic lubricants have improved greatly in past years and they don't make a mess.

Any input on this? I am planning on going to the LHS today to pick some fuel up so I can get that engine up and running again. I plan on going with 10-15% but I would like suggestions on:

- Brand/Name
- Lube type (castor, syn or mix)
- Lube %

I'm excited about getting this going again...its been a while.

Chris
Old 03-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Patxipt

During initial run-in on my FL-70, I used a 50/50 oil mix of castor oil and Graupner Pro-synth. I prefer full castor for running-in, all parts get lapped more rapidily with great lubrication, though I skipped it with pro-synth as I didn't have enough oil at home for full castor mix. Modern synthetic oils are too slippery, in fact, Graupner don't recomend pro-synth for running-in engines!
Old 03-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bax

It lasted six years! Some of the car and heli engines are out for only two years or so.

It does not excuse the fact that it was a piece of junk in pretty much every modelers eyes! Oh by the way, I have some pictures of the false advertised Monokote, and what it looks like after after a few years, where the colored pigment is cracking and ckecking under the clear layer of the covering. I will be starting another thread on that issue soon.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:31 PM
gchdavid

The engine has already been broken in. Its been sitting for 2 years so I want to go through the steps again to get it running nice.

What fuel for flying?

Chris
Old 03-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Patxipt

It does not excuse the fact that it was a piece of junk in pretty much every modelers eyes! Oh by the way, I have some pictures of the false advertised Monokote, and what it looks like after after a few years, where the colored pigment is cracking and ckecking under the clear layer of the covering. I will be starting another thread on that issue soon.
It would be nice that modelers that have had this engine would leave their comment, better having real world experience with them for decent bashing.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Patxipt

It was an over priced engine, that had far to many cost cutting measures done to it.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Patxipt

Mine cost a little over the regular price for a OS FS-30, new.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:53 PM
gchdavid

So...what fuel for flying after break-in since its already broken in?

Play nice guys, I already have the engine, so if I can use it I will, the discussion about it being a POS or not is irrelevant to me, if it is I am already screwed!!!

Chris
Old 03-10-2010, 02:57 PM
w8ye

The FL-70 was a pretty fair sport engine for general flying around. It didn't take so kindly to being mounted inverted.

For the people that this is all they wanted, the engine did very well.

It had more power than the OS 52 but not as much power as the OS FS70 Surpass I or the II.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:50 PM
TheRealFrosty

ORIGINAL: gchdavid

Omega 15% works fine for me in my FL-70.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Patxipt

Play nice guys, I already have the engine, so if I can use it I will, the discussion about it being a POS or not is irrelevant to me, if it is I am already screwed!!!

Chris
i don't knwo what fuel you guys have in the states, but something along 10% nitro would be good enough. Being an ABC ringless engine commercial 2-stroke fuel will do. Some castor in the fuel is always a nice thing to have.

The FL-70 was a pretty fair sport engine for general flying around. It didn't take so kindly to being mounted inverted.

It had more power than the OS 52 but not as much power as the OS FS70 Surpass I or the II.
Mine runs on the bench close to my Saito FA-72. Mind you I use FAI fuel, so the Saito will lack the grunt, close to a 65 four stroke, maybe. It's like an LA series four stroke, at least i like the design of the engine, all curvy, kinda reminds me soviet design.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:03 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris
i don't knwo what fuel you guys have in the states, but something along 10% nitro would be good enough. Being an ABC ringless engine commercial 2-stroke fuel will do. Some castor in the fuel is always a nice thing to have.

Mine runs on the bench close to my Saito FA-72. Mind you I use FAI fuel, so the Saito will lack the grunt, close to a 65 four stroke, maybe. It's like an LA series four stroke, at least i like the design of the engine, all curvy, kinda reminds me soviet design.

Either Soviet or Villiers two-stroke appearance from the Fifties or Sixties.

I had one, but never got around to running it (OS FL-70). Someone made me an offer that I couldn't refuse. I didn't have as much enthusiasm for it once I saw the air bleed carb. Weird. I had enough models that could have used an upright or sidemounted engine, so the air bleed wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-10-2010, 04:05 PM
gchdavid

Mine is mounted on its side...will this affect it as bad? it if does it would be as simple as making a bracket so that the carb can be rotated 90deg to point down....hmmmm

Chris
Old 03-10-2010, 04:15 PM
w8ye

They seem to run fine on the side
Old 03-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be nice that modelers that have had this engine would leave their comment, better having real world experience with them for decent bashing.

It was an over priced engine, that had far to many cost cutting measures done to it.
Since you brought it up (cutting) How's your arm doing?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79627.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1395438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22284.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1395439  
Old 03-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Patxipt

Dang, I just had dinner![&:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.