Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

took the aftershock to the track.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Mickstix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: took the aftershock to the track.

Devil, you should change your name to Mcguyver! Cool vid on some good fixes for the Backdraft!!

It's too bad the casual reader doesnt know this is only a problem on the Backdraft and Aftershock (Ultralight series) of chassis.. When they initially introduced the cars they obviously were using differnt plastic, and the cars tested and reviewed fine.. Somewhere along the line they either deliberatly, or accidently, changed plastic on these and the results were terrible and as has been mentioned, unacceptable.. But they also put out some other models that are great, inexpensive cars and trucks that take a beating and can hang with the "expensive" brands on the racetrack! My Monsoon and Tornado (1/8 Truggy & 1/10 Buggy) have both survived plenty of high speed cartwheels and jumps and I've never broken a part on either model! Spit a dogbone or two, but no broken parts! And if your read the "support threads" for their other models, you'll read about countless other success stories, just like mine!! 

Jbean, you should start a new thread about broken screws and see if it's an epidimic or just you and your buddy who broke all the screws in the kit.. I've personally not read a single thread about breaking screws, so maybe your way over tightening them?? But if alot of people have a similar story, perhaps they'll add those to the "replacement program" and you can get some new ones for free! But remember, these are "scale" models, and have to be treated as such. Ya cant torque stuff down like on a 1:1 chevy or ford..  
Old 02-23-2010, 11:11 PM
tylerjackson
My Feedback: (1)

I actually also have the monsoon and use to have a tornado bb and both of these platforms are GREAT. The 1/8th platform even survived more than my old t-mxx 3.3 did. What you are not getting is that i dont have a problem with redcat only the 8e platform. Which apparently ALOT of you dont even realise isnt even a orignal design, simply a clone of another company. There are problems with the 8e so i tell people about this so they dont go though all of the stress and fraustration that comes with them so that they arent turned off in RC ingeneral.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 PM
jbeane316

ORIGINAL: Mickstix

Devil, you should change your name to Mcguyver! Cool vid on some good fixes for the Backdraft!!

It's too bad the casual reader doesnt know this is only a problem on the Backdraft and Aftershock (Ultralightseries) of chassis.. When they initially introduced the cars they obviously were using differnt plastic, and the cars tested and reviewed fine.. Somewhere along the line they either deliberatly, or accidently, changed plastic on these and the results were terrible and as has been mentioned, unacceptable.. But they also put out some other models that aregreat, inexpensive cars and trucks that take a beating and can hang with the "expensive" brands on the racetrack!My Monsoon and Tornado (1/8 Truggy & 1/10 Buggy) have bothsurvived plenty ofhigh speed cartwheels and jumps and I've never broken a part on either model! Spit a dogbone or two, but no broken parts! And if your read the "support threads" fortheir othermodels, you'll read about countless othersuccess stories, just like mine!!

Jbean, you should start a newthread about broken screws and see if it's an epidimic or just you and your buddy who broke all the screws in the kit.. I've personally not read a single thread about breaking screws, so maybe your way overtightening them?? But ifalot of people have a similar story, perhaps they'll add those to the "replacement program" and you can get some new ones for free! But remember, these are "scale" models, and have to be treated as such. Ya cant torque stuffdown like on a 1:1 chevy or ford..

been into rc's for lil over 17 years. im pretty sure im not over tighting screws into plastic. the heads snap off by simply screwing them back in to plastic, with 2 fingers on the screwdriver. and seems like every time he runs his with all the upgrades on it, another screw breaks.

if rufaster.com will ever answer me, and get the rest of my parts to me, im just gona put it up for sale.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:24 AM
buggyboy2010

ORIGINAL: jbeane316

It's too bad the casual reader doesnt know this is only a problem on the Backdraft and Aftershock (Ultralightseries) of chassis.. When they initially introduced the cars they obviously were using differnt plastic, and the cars tested and reviewed fine.. Somewhere along the line they either deliberatly, or accidently, changed plastic on these and the results were terrible and as has been mentioned, unacceptable.. But they also put out some other models that aregreat, inexpensive cars and trucks that take a beating and can hang with the "expensive" brands on the racetrack!My Monsoon and Tornado (1/8 Truggy & 1/10 Buggy) have bothsurvived plenty ofhigh speed cartwheels and jumps and I've never broken a part on either model! Spit a dogbone or two, but no broken parts! And if your read the "support threads" fortheir othermodels, you'll read about countless othersuccess stories, just like mine!!

Jbean, you should start a newthread about broken screws and see if it's an epidimic or just you and your buddy who broke all the screws in the kit.. I've personally not read a single thread about breaking screws, so maybe your way overtightening them?? But ifalot of people have a similar story, perhaps they'll add those to the "replacement program" and you can get some new ones for free! But remember, these are "scale" models, and have to be treated as such. Ya cant torque stuffdown like on a 1:1 chevy or ford..

been into rc's for lil over 17 years. im pretty sure im not over tighting screws into plastic. the heads snap off by simply screwing them back in to plastic, with 2 fingers on the screwdriver. and seems like every time he runs his with all the upgrades on it, another screw breaks.

if rufaster.com will ever answer me, and get the rest of my parts to me, im just gona put it up for sale.
Wel that`s just to bad to hear, And the first I`ve heard about such a consistant problem with screws, Hope You enjoyed what time You got out of Your Redcats and hope You get Your moneys worth if You do decide to sell.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Chizzler

I've had my BD8e for 3 weeks and have run it quite a bit. No broken screws yet. The only thing broken so far was the servo saver. So far, this has been a great buggy.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Devils-Reject
My Feedback: (8)

hahaha i know, im always looking for new ways to do things, to fix things, etc.
if there is a way to save a buck ill find it.

if my car is down ill find a way to get it going untill i can get to the LHS or get parts ordered and delivered.
once i took 2 broken front wheel hubs from my back backdraft and made 1 working hub to hold me over till the new ones came in the mail.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:50 PM
jbeane316

jeremy beane
st. albans wv
[email protected]

up for sale is my redcat backdraft 8E

its not been run much, just around the parking lot infront of my shop.

comes with the stock brushless esc and motor, stock tires, and body.

extras are

front and rear sway bars,
alum front c hubs,
brand new set of bowties on wheels, but not glued.
extra set of new wheels.
new clear aftershock sc truck body
new in packages body mounts and bumpers for truck body.

no batterys. radio can be included for extra.

reason im selling is im tired of going back and forth trying to run it with the 4x4 short corse trucks. thats why it has the body and stuff with it. i dont woan go through changing everything over just to not be allowed in sc class.

as it sets, the alum hubs arent on it yet. rufaster.com should have them to me anytime. everything else is here.

asking $300 shipped to your door, with everything.

not pictured. truck body, sway bars, extra wheels, alum hubs.

will ofcourse update with pics of the other parts,

Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Chizzler

jeremy beane
st. albans wv
[email protected]

reason im selling is im tired of going back and forth trying to run it with the 4x4 short corse trucks. thats why it has the body and stuff with it. i dont woan go through changing everything over just to not be allowed in sc class.

That's hilarious right there. The reason you're selling it is because you've had bad luck with it and you think it's a POS. You're entitled to your opinion, but, come on man. At least be honest about how you feel about the BD8E...
Old 02-25-2010, 09:07 PM
jbeane316

ORIGINAL: Chizzler

jeremy beane
st. albans wv
[email protected]

That's hilarious right there. The reason you're selling it is because you've had bad luck with it and you think it's a POS. You're entitled to your opinion, but, come on man. At least be honest about how you feel about the BD8E...

i think ive been more than honest on this site. i am tired of replacing parts, so im hoping one of the redcat nut riders will take of the parts program.

the main reaso is that above though.

to be able to run the 8e's in 4x4 sc class, it has to be on one 2s batt, and the 2250kv motor is a turd on 2s so you have to upgrade/change the motor. so instead of dumping MORE money in to this thing, just for it to break again, i'll let some one else take the chances.

rufaster just sent a tracking number, for the c hubs and stuff, so the rest of it will be here in a day or 2, and it will be ready to ship out.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:14 AM
jeztur2003
My Feedback: (1)

Jbean, check into the parts replacement program.. They already acknowledged they had some bad parts make it to market and will replace the stuff that's broken.. There's a link on here somewhere with a bunch of part #'s that qualify for the replacement..

I see Mr. Jackson is back again, to bash Ali and his vids.. lol.. You don't suppose he could of gotten one of the good trucks do ya? There's been about 10 people on here who got bad ones.. I'm pretty sure they sold more than 10.. And a bunch of em' didnt have any problems! I get that you probably paid too much for your name brand RC, but tryin to rip up Redcat because they made one stinker is silly! They also make a bunch of good, tough, vehicles! And apparently they fix the stuff that's not up to par.. So rip away on Ali and his fake manufactured video's (and the one bad batch of plastic parts they produced) if it'll make ya feel better!

i plan on using the replacement program as well as my buddy. but in the end it will just be some new parts to sell with the kit. we have upgraded my buddys with every after market part, and its still fragile, and wont make a entire run even on the smoothest of surfaces.

not taking up for tyler because i dont know him, but i call bull***** on the ali viddeos as well. talking to people from my local hobby shop, there has been one aftershock that hasent had issues. there are many, MANY that have broken strait out of the box. the shop owner, pulled one out of the box for display, and simply dropped it on the counter to put the other stuff back in the box, and it broke the c hub!!!!

theres way to much editing in alis videos. im gona record ours this week. im still waiting on parts for mine, and hes gona put his back togather AGAIN, and show some real videos. they freaking break on a flat lot. and his lasted literally 3mins on a indoor 1/10th scale off road track. and his has alum everything, and every upgrade redcat offers.

the more in depth readng i do on other sites that arent sponsered by redcat, the more of the same horror stories i keep seeing.
I suppose those videos traxxas make are non edited also. What the hell if all r/c videos were unedited you would see alot of **** breaking that's part of r/c! Good luck with Traxxas or HPI or some other over priced R/C company admitting to their faults and send ing you modified replacement parts for FREE!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:26 PM
jbeane316

ORIGINAL: jeztur2003

I suppose those videos traxxas make are non edited also. What the hell if all r/c videos were unedited you would see alot of **** breaking that's part of r/c! Good luck with Traxxas or HPI or some other over priced R/C company admitting to their faults and send ing you modified replacement parts for FREE!

by all means, every video out there is edited. butthe diffrence is,,, ive been running 2 1/10th scale slashes, 1 mini slash, and a hotbodies nitro truggy, for the past year and a half.

ive broken nothing on any of thoses kits.

the red cat has broken on the parking lot.

its all good though. after buying a ton of the aftermarket parts, andreplacing most of the screws with traxxas one, thebackdraft actually stayed together today for a entire15 minswhile thehopefull new owner drove it around the parking lot.

im proudof it. after 10+ tries, it was finally able to run a battery dead.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Mickstix

When this first went down, I contacted Ali and asked him specifically about editingthe "Break Redcat" videos, and he gave me his word that he never edited out any breaks.. If they broke, he showed it.. Editing was done for "time" restraints only.. I dont know about the other videos, cause there are tons, but the ones specific to "breaking redcats" showed every break and non break... So, believe it if ya want, or dont, that's what the man told me..

On a side note, what's the purpose of using dual batteries on the lipo (electric) cars, like the Backdraft 8e? (From a preformance standpoint)Is it mainly for balance purposes, or can you not get as much voltage in a single battery, as you can with duals? Just wondering cause Im considering doing a brushless conversion on my Monsoon, and I've seen one done with dual trays, with motor on the front, but most of the mainstream "truggy" conversions only use one battery tray, with the motor on the other side at the back.. Thanks for any info!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 PM
jbeane316

id say redcat did it cause 2 china 2s batts was prolly cheaper than one 4s batt. but thats just a BS guess.

2-2s batts is the same as 1 4s batt, so another guess, its just a choice of design.

if your gona convert and race, go with a single 3s or 4 s battery. most of the 1/8th scales around here are running 4s, and some are running 5s
Old 03-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Mickstix

That's what I was thinking.. I dont know much about electric, but from what I've read it looks like you can get some serious volts in a single lipo pack, if ya want to.. I was thinkin 4s would be good to start with. Prolly more than I could control.. But Im still in the research phase.. Not sure if I'll even do it yet.. But thanks for the info! The Buggy is lookin good! Hope ya get her sold!