Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Covering claimed to be Monokote on Great Planes RV-4 after 2-1/2 years

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.
View Poll Results: A poll
GP will never come out and tell the truth
47.44%
I will never purchase a GP ARF again
20.51%
I feel ripped off by there advertising
32.05%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Covering claimed to be Monokote on Great Planes RV-4 after 2-1/2 years

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:28 PM
davidgeorge212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Covering claimed to be Monokote on Great Planes RV-4 after 2-1/2 years

All I know is that I have tried a lot of film coverings and I am sticking with monokote. I havent bought any arfs lately that say they are covered with monokote so i dont know if that really is "true" monokote. If everyone who doesnt like monokote bases their opinion off the covering on todays arfs, then no wonder you say you hate it, I would too. All I know is if they changed the formula for monokote it didnt affect anything about it. When I compare the rolls my dad bought 30 some odd years ago with all the rolls I bought within the last 3 years, I couldnt tell you which roll was created when. It may be that a lot of people dont have the right technique to apply monokote, or maybe I am just gifted[8D]. Either way, I am sticking with monokote till the end and that is my opinion even if no one else agrees!

David
Old 03-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Whistling Death

Default RE: Covering claimed to be Monokote on Great Planes RV-4 after 2-1/2 years

Motorman you forgot to add one option to the poll.
#4 should have read:
"I was sick of this two years ago and I can't believe you are still *****ing about it."
What the heck do you want them to do? It's a Chinese made ARF for God's sake. I thought they told you to quit cry9ing about this long ago.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

Motorman you forgot to add one option to the poll.
#4 should have read:
''I was sick of this two years ago and I can't believe you are still *****ing about it.''
What the heck do you want them to do? It's a Chinese made ARF for God's sake. I thought they told you to quit cry9ing about this long ago.
They are all made over seas, but you do not see Aeroworks, H9, or any of the others advertise a type of covering, and then give you something else.

No one is forcing you to read the thread.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: Howard

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

Can you not build your own from plans or a kit?

Are you trying to insult me or what? I purchased it because the RV-4 is one of my favorite planes, and between the cost, and said covering, I along with another club member decided to build a pair of them. I have expereince with two of them that are both doing the same damb thing. But what the heck does that have to do with not supplying what they advertise. I am only complaining about the fact that it was advertised as Genuine Monokote at the time, and some other crap was used. What makes false advertising any different in the Hobby Industry than any other business[sm=idea.gif] If people woke up, and refused to buy products because of dishonest advertising, maybe companies would change there tune. I would have been fine with it, if I would have known before I hinged it, since I would just have recovered it.
Motorman:
I take issue with your statement that implies that Tower is guilty of dishonest advertising - or dishonest anything for that matter. I have been a Tower customer since 1980. In the intervening years they have earned my utmost respect as a fair and honest vendor and with customer service second to none. Before the advent of the internet their catalogs and advertising were the source of dreams for future airplanes and a great tool for planning and detailing building projects. The annual catalog was the defining resource of available RC hobby products and provided daily exposure to vendors that became household names for those of us in this very special hobby. On a relative basis I have spent a good bit of money with Tower and never, not once, have they failed to deliver the goods or correct a problem and I mean never. I purchased and built two RV-4 ARF kits with one of them now belonging to a flying buddy and the other I fly routinely. Is it possible that the monokote on your plane does not meet monokote specs and therefore does not meet your expectations of course it is possible and I do not question your complaint or take issue with you being upset about deteriorating covering. However, I do take issue with you implying that Tower did something dishonest. I think you should rethink what you said and retract it.

Now, back to my next dream come true a GP Super Stearman, purchased from Tower, delivered to my door in perfect condition. The real challenge is for me to take a perfectly good ARF kit and not screw it up on the way to the maiden flight. Motorman, hope to see you at the flying field.

Howard

I take issue with your defence of a Company that continues to advertise one thing while admitting it is incorrect. What flying field do you want to meet me at? Is that kinda like meeting me at the Bike rack at over a dispute in elementry school.

Responce from GP,
The checkered covering on the bottom of the Skybolt wings is not MonoKote, but a different material specified because such a pattern is not available in MonoKote. The rest of the airplane is most certainly MonoKote.

At this time, we need your patience while we determine what is happening with the factory, and to resolve any issues that may exist. We apologize for any inconvenience to modelers and will stand behind our products, just as we always do. If anyone has a concern or is displeased with the covering on their model, they should contact Product Support- (217) 398-8970 - 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Central Time M-F. You can also return to us an item you believe to be defective in parts and workmanship of the original manufacture. Here's how:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1154095/tm.htm

Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
Service Phone: 217 398-0007
Email: [email protected]

CURRENT ADVERTISEMENT

With the Super Skybolt ARF, the only things standing between the pilot and a first performance at the airfield are a few hours of fast, easy assembly. There's no need to build: The airframe is built light, strong and straight. The covering is genuine Top Flite® MonoKote® film. The hardware is generous and Great Planes' best. And the performance is everything an aerobat could want: crisp and precise in execution, silky smooth in transition and adept at making a pilot's best look better than ever. The Super Skybolt offers the elegance of yesteryear's air show greats with the ease that comes with Great Planes' best ARF engineering. Ready to take center stage in as little as 12-15 hours!
Almost a full pound lighter than the kit, for stronger climbs and quicker response overall.
Simplified strut design strengthens structures, speeds assembly — and eliminates unsightly screw-down brackets.
Fast, smooth and predictable in flight, with a long tail moment to ensure true tracking.
Performs classic air show maneuvers with ease and grace — just right for straight, level flight and impressive, low-level fly-bys!

Kit quality — ARF ease! The Super Skybolt is built like the best kits, with a lightweight wood airframe, a four-color MonoKote film trim scheme, painted fiberglass parts and Great Planes-brand hardware.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37690.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	1396823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74225.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	1396824  
Old 03-12-2010, 10:59 PM
carrellh

Just wondering...
Exactly what do you want from Great Planes?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: carrellh

Just wondering...

Admission that they took advantage of us modelers. The excuses that have been given so far are real lame.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:44 AM
ceecrb1

Some may have seen my recent post about monokote.. I work in the TV and events industry doing sound and video and lighting..
I do NOT understand how I can take a lighting filter from over 20 years ago.. but another roll today and they are IDENTICAL.. SO the process IS possbible..

On my GP Extra 300SP, I needed to do a slight repair.. I bought a roll of monokote and it is COMPLETELY different. I then compaired the roll, my plane and a fellow club members identical plane.. we have a total of 5 differente "metalic blue's"!!!!

I'm pretty pi$$sed off because this plane is MENT to be from the "performance" range.. Ie costs a bit more and the cost should be shown in quality, and really the monokote totaly lets the plane down.. I'm having to iron it out once very 3-4 weeks, where other ARTFS that cost less than 90€'s I've done once on the day of purchase and never thought about agian!

Gp,do yourself a favour! ditch Monokote!! Try solarfilm!!!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:36 AM
carrellh

Just wondering...
Admission that they took advantage of us modelers. The excuses that have been given so far are real lame.
In today's society of "File a lawsuit over everything," do you honestly believe ANY company is going to issue a statement like that? Everyone that bought one of the planes would be asking for a check.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Iflyglow

Just wondering...
In today's society of ''File a lawsuit over everything,'' do you honestly believe ANY company is going to issue a statement like that? Everyone that bought one of the planes would be asking for a check.
What would happen if companies like Extreme Flite, Aeroworks, or any of the Big Arf copanies supplied a plane that was advertised to be covered with Ultracote (Oracover), but instead was covered with some Chinese covering.
People would be hysterical, and would have the right to be.

This is no different! These planes were advertised as covered in GENUINE MONOKOTE. It is fairly clear that they are not. I would have settled for 4 rolls of real Monokote, and redone it myself, since the covering is a nightmare to keep up. You cannot stop it from falling apart.

Name:	Lj23498.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1397044  
Attached Images   
Old 03-13-2010, 11:30 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must be lucky, so far no bad luck with the covering. Now with Nitro Models, that is the worst god awful stuff I've seen!!

GP Stik purchased in 2006. Tail was cracked all the way around, had to recover, and had a hole on the horizontal stab.

Name:	Bz79164.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1397056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38120.jpg
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1397057  
Old 03-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

I must be lucky, so far no bad luck with the covering. Now with Nitro Models, that is the worst god awful stuff I've seen!!

GP Stik purchased in 2006. Tail was cracked all the way around, had to recover, and had a hole on the horizontal stab.

The type of covering used on the Arf's from Nitro Planes acts just like the JUNK on the RV-4. If I wanted a plane covered in China coat, I would buy a plane were they mention nothing about the covering. I instead purchased a plane from GP, the supposibly repliable company following there advertising of Real Monokote, and inturn recieved the same low quality Chinese knock off covering that started deteriating straight out of the box. The clear was seperating from the Black stripes just by taking the supplied masking tape off the controll surfaces. This is also very common, and is reported over and over again in the RV-4 thread. I just like any other Good modeler grabbed the Iron and ironed it back down, not realizing the trouble I was headed for.
I now realize I should have boxed it back up, sent it back demanding a full refund. It is to bad that this model is covered with this junk, since it is one heck of nice flying airplane.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

The last GP ARF I covered in genuine "Wrinklecoat" bought came with the usual wrinkles. I had to practically burn the stuff to get it to shrink. A couple of weeks later, the wrinkles were back. I've had several models covered with Ultracoat and they all held up well and still look good today. Tower doesn't want to seem to stand up and fix the problem.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Iflyglow

They probably never will either.

PEOPLE NEED TO STAND UP AND BOYCOTT THERE ARFS, SINCE THERE ARE MUCH HIGHER QUALITY ARF'S ON THE MARKET THAT ARE ADVERTISED MORE HONESTLY. COVERED IN MONOKOTE MEANS MONOKOTE, NOT THE CHEAPEST CRAP THAT THEY CAN PASS OFF AS MONOKOTE. I REALIZE SOME ARE INDEED MONOKOTE, BUT SOME OTHERS WERE AND ARE STILL ADVERTISED WHEN THEY ARE NOT!!

Bax
Certified
Score: 123
Last Login: 3/11/2010
Status: offline As I have stated before, and will state again here:

We are aware of the feedback given to us regarding Top Flite MonoKote covering on some Great Planes ARF kits, and we are investigating the situation. The product manager concerned is overseas visiting our ARF factory to see what the problem happens to be. When he gets back, he'll be getting ready for the iHobby Show. Even so, we hope to get out soon an answer and a proposed solution.

Please realize that until I have any information, I can only repeat that this is most certainly being checked, and people at the highest levels of Great Planes are involved with this. Sending PM after PM asking the same question won't get things moving faster. More than once, I've said that things are being looked into, and I'd post what information I'm given.

We are also aware that there have been complaints about the color match of the Skybolt cowling and complaints about the checkerboard covering on the bottom of the wings. The cowlings are being checked to see what the difficulty happens to be, and what solution we can present. The product manager responsible is currently overseas talking to our airplane maker and will present this to them.

The checkered covering on the bottom of the Skybolt wings is not MonoKote, but a different material specified because such a pattern is not available in MonoKote. The rest of the airplane is most certainly MonoKote.

At this time, we need your patience while we determine what is happening with the factory, and to resolve any issues that may exist. We apologize for any inconvenience to modelers and will stand behind our products, just as we always do. If anyone has a concern or is displeased with the covering on their model, they should contact Product Support- (217) 398-8970 - 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Central Time M-F. You can also return to us an item you believe to be defective in parts and workmanship of the original manufacture. Here's how:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1154095/tm.htm

Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
Service Phone: 217 398-0007
Email: [email protected]

CURRENTLY ONLINE FOR THE SKYBOLT THAT BAX FROM GP STATED OVER TWO YEARS AGO HAS CHECKER BOARD COVERING THAT IS NOT MONOKOTE

With the Super Skybolt ARF, the only things standing between the pilot and a first performance at the airfield are a few hours of fast, easy assembly. There's no need to build: The airframe is built light, strong and straight. The covering is genuine Top Flite® MonoKote® film. The hardware is generous and Great Planes' best. And the performance is everything an aerobat could want: crisp and precise in execution, silky smooth in transition and adept at making a pilot's best look better than ever. The Super Skybolt offers the elegance of yesteryear's air show greats with the ease that comes with Great Planes' best ARF engineering. Ready to take center stage in as little as 12-15 hours!
Almost a full pound lighter than the kit, for stronger climbs and quicker response overall.
Simplified strut design strengthens structures, speeds assembly — and eliminates unsightly screw-down brackets.
Fast, smooth and predictable in flight, with a long tail moment to ensure true tracking.
Performs classic air show maneuvers with ease and grace — just right for straight, level flight and impressive, low-level fly-bys!

Kit quality — ARF ease! The Super Skybolt is built like the best kits, with a lightweight wood airframe, a four-color MonoKote film trim scheme, painted fiberglass parts and Great Planes-brand hardware.

CURRENT ONLINE MANUAL FOR RV-4

• The RV-4 ARF is factory-covered with Top Flite®
MonoKote® film.
Should repairs ever be required, MonoKote
can be patched with additional MonoKote purchased
separately. MonoKote is packaged in six-foot rolls, but some
hobby shops also sell it by the foot. If only a small piece of
MonoKote is needed for a minor patch, perhaps a fellow
modeler would give you some. MonoKote is applied with a
model airplane covering iron, but in an emergency a regular
iron could be used. A roll of MonoKote includes full
instructions for application. Following are the colors used on
this model and order numbers for six foot rolls.
White – TOPQ0204
Aluminum – TOPQ0205
Black – TOPQ0208
Metallic Red – TOPQ0405

OVER TWO YEARS LATER, AND THEY HAVE NOT CHANGED THE ADVERTISING YET!!

Name:	Ca81286.jpg
ID:	1397171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16867.jpg
Views:	18
ID:	1397172  
Attached Images    
Old 03-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: ceecrb1

Tower can't ditch Monokote or Futaba or any of their house brands. They own the stuff!
Old 03-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: Eplane65

ORIGINAL: ceecrb1

Tower can't ditch Monokote or Futaba or any of their house brands. They own the stuff!

They don't have to ditch it, but instead just actually use it on the RV-4. That is what I and many others had payed for!!
Old 03-13-2010, 03:35 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

I feel motorman is right to complain, If it said Monokote then it should have Monokote on it! I like others have had great luck with Tower and great planes have always been a favorit. To bad they are not dealing with the problem well! Who knows whats going on in China anymore with the toys having lead paint and the dog food and snacks poisioned. I had freinds that lost a dog over it! Maybe using the cheap stuff they are making more money when Great planes wanted them to use the Monokote, who knows with China any more? But that said MonoKote is not what it use to be, over tweenty years ago when I built my first plane and covered it with Monokote it came out beautiful and was super easy to work with, Now its a battle from start to finish! And so now I have started to buy ultracote!
Old 03-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Iflyglow

It's fine with me is they never come forward and tell the truth, because I will never buy anything I know comes from them again. I will also try my hardest to inform fellow modelers of there type of advertising.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:11 PM
mvallyman
My Feedback: (32)

Maybe this stuff "is" Monocote, just not the same stuff they made 10 years ago.

I too bought a Great Planes ARF that the wrinkles would not shrink out. I strpped it and recovered with Ultracote.

I've also noticed on kit builds where the modeler used Monocote, the covering became brittle after a couple years and its easy to put your finger through it.

I had a lawnchair fold up on my wing covered with Ultracote, it made a dent about 1/2 inch deep. Didnt puncture and came out like new with some heat. Try that with Monocoat!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Mike06659

There is worse things. Shut-Up and Fly is my outlook.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Oberst
Banned

I think it's China, that is not telling the truth to Great Planes. That is possibe isn't it?

Pete
Old 03-13-2010, 09:20 PM
ramboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The formula for Monokote was changed several years ago due to environmetal regulations.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: mvallyman

Maybe this stuff ''is'' Monocote, just not the same stuff they made 10 years ago.

I too bought a Great Planes ARF that the wrinkles would not shrink out. I strpped it and recovered with Ultracote.

I've also noticed on kit builds where the modeler used Monocote, the covering became brittle after a couple years and its easy to put your finger through it.

I had a lawnchair fold up on my wing covered with Ultracote, it made a dent about 1/2 inch deep. Didnt puncture and came out like new with some heat. Try that with Monocoat!

Wrinkles are not the problem. THE COVERING DELAMINATES (Coverings are composed of a Clear layer & Color/glue layer). The coverg litterly seperates. When the clear lifts up only the Colored Glue stays on the airplane. If you look at the Black, you can see the spots, and on the white look at the hinge gap, where you will see crumbles of white under the clear layer. I seriously wonder about the structural integrity of the covering, since the chemical bond attaching the covering itself is about like cling wrap. Just picture being able to grab the clear and pull it up leaving nothing but colored glue behind.[X(]
Attached Images   
Old 03-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: Oberst

I think it's China, that is not telling the truth to Great Planes. That is possibe isn't it?

Pete

Nope, since GP said 2-1/2 years ago that they would not be able tell there covering from someone elses. You can cut a piece of Real White Monokote, and tell the diiference completely, since the Monokote is much much more opaque. The white on the RV is damb near translucent in color, and much thinner. It barely covers the wood grain color.

I have brand new rolls of Monokote, and this is not the samestuff. GP just pulled the wool over the modelers eyes, and got away with it kinda.

Bax from GP admitted the outsourcing of the the checkerd material on the Skybolt, and still say that it is covered in Genuine Monokote. It appears as if the covering was outsourced the same way, since it does the same delaminating as the Checker Board on the Skybolt wings. Read the Skybolt thread, and see it for yourself.

"We are also aware that there have been complaints about the color match of the Skybolt cowling and complaints about the checkerboard covering on the bottom of the wings. The cowlings are being checked to see what the difficulty happens to be, and what solution we can present. The product manager responsible is currently overseas talking to our airplane maker and will present this to them. The checkered covering on the bottom of the Skybolt wings is not MonoKote, but a different material specified because such a pattern is not available in MonoKote. The rest of the airplane is most certainly MonoKote."

Why is it allmost three years later and they still call the Skybolt Genuine Monokote covered after there own admission that the Checkerboard covering is not? The checkerboard covering makes up a huge percentage of the covering. Here is a current picture, and advertisement for it from GP's website.

CURRENT ADVERTISEMENT

They simply don't care, since they know people will still buy it, since many are rnot aware of what the covering actually does except for the people who have owned one of these models with the cheap ass covering.

Name:	Sq45886.jpg
Views:	16
ID:	1397486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68268.jpg
ID:	1397487  
Old 03-13-2010, 09:59 PM
masonman

Is there an chance, that the newer RV-4's would have the advertised covering on it. Like one ordered just a week ago?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: masonman

Is there an chance, that the newer RV-4's would have the advertised covering on it. Like one ordered just a week ago?

Good luck, since I doubt that they have changed anything. Infact they nolonger list it as Monokote Covered. At least it is advertised fairly now, so I would not expect it. But they forgot to change the online Manual, which still states Genuine Monokote.

Here is clip from the Current Manual online.

CURRENT ONLINE MANUAL FOR RV-4

• The RV-4 ARF is factory-covered with Top Flite®
MonoKote® film.
Should repairs ever be required, MonoKote
can be patched with additional MonoKote purchased
separately. MonoKote is packaged in six-foot rolls, but some
hobby shops also sell it by the foot. If only a small piece of
MonoKote is needed for a minor patch, perhaps a fellow
modeler would give you some. MonoKote is applied with a
model airplane covering iron, but in an emergency a regular
iron could be used. A roll of MonoKote includes full
instructions for application. Following are the colors used on
this model and order numbers for six foot rolls.
White – TOPQ0204
Aluminum – TOPQ0205
Black – TOPQ0208
Metallic Red – TOPQ0405

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.