Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Covering claimed to be Monokote on Great Planes RV-4 after 2-1/2 years

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.
View Poll Results: A poll
GP will never come out and tell the truth
47.44%
I will never purchase a GP ARF again
20.51%
I feel ripped off by there advertising
32.05%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Covering claimed to be Monokote on Great Planes RV-4 after 2-1/2 years

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:07 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Covering claimed to be Monokote on Great Planes RV-4 after 2-1/2 years

ORIGINAL: ramboy

The formula for Monokote was changed several years ago due to environmetal regulations.

This White and Black are not reformulated Monokote on my RV-4.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:13 PM
masonman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Covering claimed to be Monokote on Great Planes RV-4 after 2-1/2 years

Thats sucks..............does it come off when glow fuel gets on it? Cause I am going with gas. Maybe it will last that way
Old 03-13-2010, 10:45 PM
fly24-7

Motorman:
I take issue with your statement that implies that Tower is guilty of dishonest advertising - or dishonest anything for that matter.

Actually, they are just that! The GP Hobby Services Manager said himself that the underside of the Skybolt wings is not Monokote. By advertising the the plane is covered in Monokote, legally, this is a violation of truth in advertising laws. Only part of the plane is covered in the stuff and that's exactly what the promotional materials and the carton for the plane should say.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:54 PM
fly24-7

ORIGINAL: carrellh

Just wondering...
Exactly what do you want from Great Planes?
The truth would be a good start. If they want to cover their planes, or part of their planes in junk covering, they shouldn't pass it off as something else. Relatively speaking, GP products are more expensive then stuff from Phoenix, Seagull, Nitro Planes, etc... If you want to build your stuff like these guys, then price it like these guys....
Old 03-14-2010, 01:34 AM
scott page

Wow, do we really have nothing else more important to do than this? It's like conspiracy theater here.

It looks like Motorman37 got the shaft. It's happened to me from another company but I just don;t give them my business any more.
If you don't like GP go elsewhere. I'm sure I can find 10 people who have had (or think they have had) similiar problems from absolutely every manufacturer out there. Get over it already.
I happen to find the 8 GP ARFs I've gotten to be affordable and exceptional quality for the money.

If the horse is dead, dismount.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:49 AM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

This is of paramount importance! Because of this thread, I will never, ever, ever, ever purchase anything from Great Planes again. Nothing, nada, zip, zero. I am grateful RCU is here so that we can be informed about matters this serious and egregious. Sound the alarm! All Great Planes stuff is poopy!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:14 AM
reincarnate

I also found the new monokote to be lower quality than the old formula. Know what I did? I quit using it!!

You said your self "...it's one heck of a nice flying airplane...". Go fly it then! You can't see the defects in the air. If you can, strip the covering and put on something you like! It's doubtful you'll enter your ARF in Top Gun.

Yes, it is. All monokote is a new formula due to environmental regulations. Who introduced the regulations or what they are, I've never heard. My theory is the profit margin from the new, cheaper mono is the reason, and environment is the excuse.

One man parades take time to build up steam. I do wish you luck in your attempt. Maybe consider your method, though. I doubt Bax will read this thread, smack his forehead, and call a meeting with R&D demanding answers. In the meantime, buy an RV-4 kit, build it and cover it the way you like. You'll forget all about your problems.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:20 AM
reincarnate

ORIGINAL: scott page

Edit..Sorry, couldn't resist. Scotts comment made me smile.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80771.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1397739  
Old 03-14-2010, 08:24 AM
IAMKAOS

sometime ago i talked to a guy who works in the hobby industry. he told me that the chinese arf manufactuer's do not like using monokote because monokote is harder to work with . back in the 1980's and 90's i used monokote many times and it is a high temp. covering and harder to apply and had a lower shrink rate than other coverings but was the strongest. years later i started using oracover because it was just as strong and a better shrink rate. according to him monokote requires more work, is more expensive, and it slowed down their assembly lines so they looked for something else and came up with their formula for a covering. years later this was verified when a person i know had a chinese arf manufactuer build a design of his and they did not want to use monokote or any quality covering because it would increase the price of each unit. they want to use a low temp thinner covering because its easier to apply
Old 03-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: masonman

Thats sucks..............does it come off when glow fuel gets on it? Cause I am going with gas. Maybe it will last that way
Both mine and my Buddies were peeling straight out of the box. They start peeling when you remove the masking tape strips that hold the control surfaces to the wing straight out of the Box. I just unknowingly Ironed it down like a Modeler would and continued building. That was a wrong move on my part, as it should have went straight back for a refund. I had even called GP, and they stated they had never heard of that complaint before, so I kept going.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: reincarnate

I also found the new monokote to be lower quality than the old formula. Know what I did? I quit using it!!

You said your self ''...it's one heck of a nice flying airplane...''. Go fly it then! You can't see the defects in the air. If you can, strip the covering and put on something you like! It's doubtful you'll enter your ARF in Top Gun.

Yes, it is. All monokote is a new formula due to environmental regulations. Who introduced the regulations or what they are, I've never heard. My theory is the profit margin from the new, cheaper mono is the reason, and environment is the excuse.

One man parades take time to build up steam. I do wish you luck in your attempt. Maybe consider your method, though. I doubt Bax will read this thread, smack his forehead, and call a meeting with R&D demanding answers. In the meantime, buy an RV-4 kit, build it and cover it the way you like. You'll forget all about your problems.

How many times do I have to tell you. THE WHITE AND BLACK ARE NOT NEW FORMULATED MONOKOTE. GP'S Missrepresented the covering, and it was covered with something else, hence they nolonger market it as Monokote covered.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: scott page

Wow, do we really have nothing else more important to do than this? It's like conspiracy theater here.

It looks like Motorman37 got the shaft. It's happened to me from another company but I just don;t give them my business any more.
If you don't like GP go elsewhere. I'm sure I can find 10 people who have had (or think they have had) similiar problems from absolutely every manufacturer out there. Get over it already.
I happen to find the 8 GP ARFs I've gotten to be affordable and exceptional quality for the money.

I along with several modelers who have complained atleast got GP to stop advertiseing the RV-4 as Genuine Monokote, which they have now, but they forgot to change the online manual.

As long as modelers are willing to let the company bend you over, GP's will never be honest.

READ THIS STATEMENT IS FROM BAX HIMSELF @ HOBBY SERVICES CLOSE TO THREE YEARS AGO. !!!!

Responce from GP,
The checkered covering on the bottom of the Skybolt wings is not MonoKote, but a different material specified because such a pattern is not available in MonoKote. The rest of the airplane is most certainly MonoKote."

CURRENT SKYBOLT ARF ADD

With the Super Skybolt ARF, the only things standing between the pilot and a first performance at the airfield are a few hours of fast, easy assembly. There's no need to build: The airframe is built light, strong and straight. The covering is genuine Top Flite® MonoKote® film. The hardware is generous and Great Planes' best. And the performance is everything an aerobat could want: crisp and precise in execution, silky smooth in transition and adept at making a pilot's best look better than ever. The Super Skybolt offers the elegance of yesteryear's air show greats with the ease that comes with Great Planes' best ARF engineering. Ready to take center stage in as little as 12-15 hours!
Almost a full pound lighter than the kit, for stronger climbs and quicker response overall.
Simplified strut design strengthens structures, speeds assembly — and eliminates unsightly screw-down brackets.
Fast, smooth and predictable in flight, with a long tail moment to ensure true tracking.
Performs classic air show maneuvers with ease and grace — just right for straight, level flight and impressive, low-level fly-bys!

Kit quality — ARF ease! The Super Skybolt is built like the best kits, with a lightweight wood airframe, a four-color MonoKote film trim scheme, painted fiberglass parts and Great Planes-brand hardware.

NOW DO YOU SEE MY POINT!!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:36 AM
reincarnate

Again...
Maybe get a bigger stick though.

Name:	Ki19178.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1397772  
Old 03-14-2010, 09:46 AM
reincarnate

How many times do I have to tell you. THE WHITE AND BLACK ARE NOT NEW FORMULATED MONOKOTE. GP'S Missrepresented the covering, and it was covered with something else, hence they nolonger market it as Monokote covered.

Directly from Tower page...

FEATURES: Construction: Balsa and ply
Wings: Prebuilt halves slide onto aluminum joiner and bolt to
fuselage
Covering: Covered in Top Flite MonoKote, see COMMENTS for colors

COMMENTS: Pilot figure not included.
Following are the colors of Top Flite MonoKote used to cover this
model and order numbers for six foot rolls;
White TOPQ0204 Black TOPQ0208
Aluminum TOPQ0205 Metallic Red TOPQ0405

Somebody hacked the top off your soapbox!!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Iflyglow

fuselage

THE WHITE AND BLACK FOR SURE ARE NOT MONOKOTE, AND NEVER HAVE BEEN. The picture on GP's website nolonger has the Monokote logo on the picture, Similar to this missrepresented one.

Name:	Zx71216.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	1397785  
Old 03-14-2010, 09:54 AM
reincarnate

Oh. OK. Your right. I'm wrong.

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Old 03-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Iflyglow

fuselage

Tower Means nothing, check out GP's website!!!!!!

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1357.html
Old 03-14-2010, 12:04 PM
karl hibbs
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it is the same junk they use on the wild hare products!!!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 12:11 PM
DeferredDefect

Ah, Here we go again with the "Monokote Sucks" debate.
I find the colour matching of Monokote is poor - I recently recovered a model, and my two rolls of "Missle Red" were completely different. Neither shrank either, even with the iron set on max temperature. Now I have an ugly Kadet. At least I have the piece of mind knowing I can always recover it later. Why bother sue a company for using "ChinaCote" when everything, the model, covering, etc is made in China? If the company is trying to save money, let them, and buy another brand of aeroplane instead!  Nothing is forcing you to buy a Great Planes model.

I suggest we all go out and buy Skycote - I have only seen it once, and it works great!

Graeme
Old 03-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: GraemeEllis

Ah, Here we go again with the ''Monokote Sucks'' debate.
I find the colour matching of Monokote is poor - I recently recovered a model, and my two rolls of ''Missle Red'' were completely different. Neither shrank either, even with the iron set on max temperature. Now I have an ugly Kadet. At least I have the piece of mind knowing I can always recover it later. Why bother sue a company for using ''ChinaCote'' when everything, the model, covering, etc is made in China? If the company is trying to save money, let them, and buy another brand of aeroplane instead! Nothing is forcing you to buy a Great Planes model.

I suggest we all go out and buy Skycote - I have only seen it once, and it works great!

Graeme

This is not a debate over Monokote itself, but instead is pointing out that GP is Advertising Genuine Monokote covered when they are not in some cases.!!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 03:34 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Is this the same issue with the GP Reactor?
Old 03-14-2010, 03:49 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Ahhh. If we all just built models from kits like the "good ol' days". The smell of dope whaffling through the house; not being able to sleep because of inhaling the fumes. Those were the days..... Now that our hobby is no longer a hobby, but rather just another consumable, we have very little control over how our models are built or what they are covered with. So why complain? The only agenda the big distributors have is to get your money in their corporate account because they know you will be back no matter what crappy covering they put on your arf. And you will be back..... their marketing demographics prove it.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:03 PM
DeferredDefect

If it's not actually Monokote, and it is advertised falsely, isn't it illegal?
Old 03-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: ro347

Is this the same issue with the GP Reactor?

I am pretty sure it is.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:32 PM
ramboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You said your self ''...it's one heck of a nice flying airplane...''. Go fly it then! You can't see the defects in the air. If you can, strip the covering and put on something you like! It's doubtful you'll enter your ARF in Top Gun.

Did Ultracote also change formulas due to the environmental regulations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.