Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

rich model keecat.60 size kingcat with retracts

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

rich model keecat.60 size kingcat with retracts

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Capjun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rich model keecat.60 size kingcat with retracts

Hey gooseF22,
Thanks for the info. You're right ! Just finished the setup with the engine mounted, and looks like an 11" prop will be the limit.
Also, with CG set at 9.75" from the trailing edge, it's going to need a bit of nose weight. I'll let you know what happens !
Old 01-11-2009, 11:32 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep, needs to be over 10 in... I used a heavy battery pack and that was all that was required. It was 9 ounces.

if you use a wood prop, bring along some extra red covering or tape, cause if you ding a wood prop, it will likely hit the covering. I have done several field repairs on the booms after splintering props. no one makes a decent pusher prop. the graupner composite 11x8 is good all around, but its not as crisp and fast as the wood zinger. Im afraid to run the apc 11x7 on the ST. 90 for fear of over revving it. what I would really like is a 10x10p. Its a draggy plane though. I know of a couple guys that converted it to electric pusher and got it going pretty good too but it will take 2+ kw..which requires a big motor like a 36mm medusa or neu..

I am thinking of selling it at a swap meet.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:41 AM
mcdonald77

I have a keecat that the covering has been stripped off of. I am not flying fuel plans anymore and have no need for it. If anyone is going to the Northwest Hobby Expo in Monroe WA. next month, I will sell it for $40.00 or Best offer. its new including all hardware except that it doesnt have covering on the plane.

I know this is somewhat off topic, but I dont want to post in the classified's when I am only willing to take it to the hobby expo.

If your game, shoot me an email [email protected]

Jason
Old 01-18-2009, 02:04 PM
learjet45xp

Hey Goose, before you go and sell the plane at a swap meet...I would try a couple things out. First off, this plane is capable of some amazing things that no other plane can hardly do...trick is to not worry about crashing it (probably the reason this is my third). First thing is to buy a master airscrew 14x7 pusher and cut an inch off of each blade. Making it a 12x7...with that ST90 it will really pull hard, not the speed but I was gettin almost unlimted vertical with my .91FX and that prop. Secondly...set the throws to their MAX. Of course keep them about half for low rates. Go do a low pass...pull up and at about 200ft push both sticks to the upper left of right and hold them there.....you'll be amazined. Another cool thing is get it nice and high..run about 25% power and get it into a nose high stall...hold full back elevator and watch it get into a dutch roll. The plane refuses to stall if its balanced right..but the wings will rock back and forth probably 30-40 degrees side to side..neat to watch. And if you are really good....you can actually get it to hover with the cut down 14x7 prop. I'll have to take some video when it warms up here in Ohio again. Oh...yeah....check out the roll rate when its set at MAX throws...I would say a full roll takes maybe 2/3 of a second.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:12 PM
chriso032

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully you or one of the other proud Kee-Kat owners can help me. I was recently given a Keekat that had ditched in a pond. I replaced all the warped balsa, equipped it with new electronics, installed a smoke system, and re-covered it to resemble the F-14 Tomcat. I'll post pics whan I'm finished with it, but my question is this: where can I find a set of wheel wells for the retracts and a new canopy? I've looked and looked and I just can't seem to find them anywhere! I dont want to take a crash course on vaccuum- forming, so if you guys could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:15 PM
easton24
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone used a os 120 ax on this plane. I understand you can only fit a 12'' prop. I was thinking of cutting down a zinger to a 12-14. Or a Master Airscrew 3 blade to a 12-10. A club member at our field started flying one with a os 108. It flys great and I dont think a 120ax is any bigger. I found this plane shipped for a $139 from AK models. That was the cheapest I have seen this plane yet. So thought I would give it a try.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:24 PM
mcfast

The OS 120 AX is not a good motor for this plane, it as a lot of power but at a very low RPM,
it needs a big prop, unless you could find a 3 bladed 11" pusher prop with some good pitch,
it mite work.

Good Luck
Old 02-11-2009, 08:15 PM
chriso032

Well, this is an update from earlier today-still know nothing about the wheel wells, but I DO know that the Tower Hobbies .75 I have on tha plane SMOKES LIKE CRAZY!! I fitted the plane with a TME super smoker on 6 volts, and it smokes like the big boys! I have a Pitts style muffler that I cut the pipes on (for looks, mostly, but it turns out that it may help with the overpressure issue as well), and even though I thought that the propwash would dissipate the smoke too much, it looks beautiful! I'm taking it on its maiden flight at my home field (S.H.A.R.K.S. in Shreveport, LA) Friday, and I'll tell y'all how it goes and post some pics. BTW I'm gonna listen to the advice on the CG, because it seemed like when my buddy took it swimming it would not nose down in the stall. And the spoiler idea makes sense, too- you would think flaps but with the swept-wing config spoilers would almost be like a second elevator. Well, wish me luck and I'll tell you how it goes, good or bad. I am new to this forum, but you guys have already been a great help. Thanks, guys!
Old 02-15-2009, 11:05 AM
learjet45xp

As for finding gear and a canopy, I have a set of both for sale. You can also TRY and get them from the guy that sells the kee-cats on ebay. Just shoot him an E-mail. I really don't want to part with mine, but if that doesn't work I will hook ya up. Send him an E-mail and if you don't get a response in a few days let me know.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:02 PM
chriso032

Well, it doesnt matter now- I had a battery failure and lost the plane. But it sure smoked good! I swear I'm gonna post some pics soon! I was comin in over the runway at full throttle with smoke on, maybe 90 mph, when the plane Dutch rolled into the ground from about 25 feet. A friend of mine that's been flying for over 30 years said that it was the most spectacular crash he's ever seen! The biggest piece of wreckage I could find was about the size of a playing card! Well, if you're gonna do it, do it big, I guess. I think if my TME smoke pump's okay, I'll put it in my Midget Mustang. Anyway, I'm gonna try to get another Keekat- I love that plane! Btw, the thing could land hands-free with the spoilers- nice!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 PM
chriso032

Well, its me again- I only have one good pic of my keekat before it destroyed itself hope u like

[img][/img]
Old 04-09-2009, 06:53 PM
snappa

Im going to get one of these very soon, I have a replacement lightining dart on the way from A-K Models and that is also one cool plane, you just have to be aware the quality of Rich Models is not up there with the likes of World Models... I are still deciding between the Keecat and the nitroplanes Bobcat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55414.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1176809  
Old 04-12-2009, 06:03 PM
snappa

I see someone back a bit mention a falcon 120? would this be a better model than the Keecat? twice the price though and out of stock....
Old 04-18-2009, 04:36 AM
snappa

I see there is a Keecat II out much better design http://www.avia-richmodel.com/Product/KEECAT-II(In-Stock).html ????
Old 04-21-2009, 08:35 PM
learjet45xp

I would go with the original Keecat hands down over the bobcat or the falcon. Its an amazing plane once you get used to it. The bobcat would be faster, but you would need need to put retracts into it. The Falcon is just too big, it is really designed for a jet engine. I am on my 3rd keecat and if I crash this one, I will probably get another.

Personally I think the Keecat II is dog ugly. You still have the same pusher prop and prop clearence issues as before, and the tail booms are what really makes the originally keecat look so cool. I wouldn't mind having the wings from the Keecat II with those winglets though.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:19 AM
snappa

I actually like the Keecat II perhaps it will help cure some of the original faults, I was wondering if its now set up as a Alevon instead of separate elevator and ailerons
Old 07-26-2009, 10:16 PM
snappa

Well I brought a Keecat II
Old 01-10-2010, 06:38 PM
blkstne
My Feedback: (1)

Here is a picture of my Keecat with a asp 91 with 11X10 prop. Cant wait to fly her this spring

Name:	Ki20525.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1353615  
Old 02-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone electrify one of these? Here's my Scorpion powered Neocat on 6S. Going electric solves the balance issues and eliminates the need for pusher props.

Name:	Eb87018.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1372752  
Old 03-13-2010, 08:03 PM
yosephwhite
My Feedback: (34)

Picked up one of these for Christmas couldn't bring myself to build it with the servos sticking out the tail feathers like that so I'm moding it with pushrods and putting the servos in the inner wing where it meets the tail upright will post pics soon.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:45 PM
yosephwhite
My Feedback: (34)

Here are some pics I hope.

Name:	Tr50680.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1397445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40729.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1397446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16802.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1397447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74843.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1397448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jv14915.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1397449  
Old 03-14-2010, 10:18 AM
keithtsr
My Feedback: (3)

Hi,
I am wanting to go electric on my keecat. I have kick around the idea of edf, but would rather go with electric pusher. One little problem, I don't have a clue what to use. Can any one tell me a good set up in electric for high speed. I would like to run 8s lipos. I have the need for speed.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:31 PM
bigdave155
My Feedback: (2)

looking for some help.
i have been following this thread throughout the duration of my SECOND keecat build. i guess i had balance and throw issues with the first and a year later, i have just completed my second.
balancing is obviously wrong in the "korenglish" manual, so i went with the suggested 9.25 and stuffed my two battery packs in the nose..little nose heavy but should work ok.
being a rookie, should i have balanced right side up?? upside down, retracts up, retracts down??...
any help would be appreciated....
if anyone cares, i have some videos posted on youtube of the first keecat....."bigdave700"
thanks..
p.s. i am running a super tigre S75 with an 11x8 zinger for starters. i also have a 12x8 three blade i wanna try... any suggestions on those???
Old 04-13-2010, 09:17 PM
bigdave155
My Feedback: (2)

hey there,
not sure if you've found the answer to your prop question,. today i learned on my own... when a prop is on backwards, it has no power.
full throttle to taxi, i couldn't understand it. used the whole 200 yds and still couldn't get moving fast enough to lift off...good thing it didn't, it would have ended horribly!!
the way i remembered it, just be sure the fat side of the blade is cutting the air first in it's rotation...
Old 04-14-2010, 08:00 AM
keithtsr
My Feedback: (3)

I have always balanced my airplanes upside down, from BVM Bandits to my Habu. I check mine with the gear down, but check it both ways. It will make a little dif. because the nose gear is moving back, buttttt it will make very little dif., not much weight swing. I have decided to go with EDF on mine, should have it ready to go by the end of the week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.