Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

ParkZone Radian RTF

Old 03-06-2010, 10:20 AM
glowfuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ParkZone Radian RTF

Has anyone experimented with the CG on the Radian?

I think it's supposed to be 62 mm (approx 2.5") behind the leading edge, but that seems a bit nose heavy for thermaling?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Frede2

Default RE: ParkZone Radian RTF

It is a little nose-heavy, but I recommend you starting there and slowly move it back until you find the right spot for YOU.
Phil
Old 03-13-2010, 04:41 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree.  Better to start a bit nose heavy than starting too tail heavy.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:39 PM
glowfuel

Do either of you guys have a radian?
If so, where did you wind up having the CG?
Old 03-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Frede2

Yes, I ALWAYS have a radian flying and generally one for a backup.
After the modifications that are recommended in the forums and with the battery pushed all the way into the pocket, I often add one or two pennies taped to the the tail. But that is just me. I prefer my sailplanes just a tad tailheavy.
Happy thermals, Phil
Old 03-14-2010, 04:37 PM
aeajr

I have never measured the CG.  I have the RTF. With the stock battery fully inserted the plane flies well.  For an esperienced glider pilot, moving the CG back a bit is likely to be desirable.  I put a penny on the tail, just in front of the fin.  

I have no idea where the CG measures, I just like the way it flies there. 
Old 03-15-2010, 05:29 PM
glowfuel

Thanks Fred and Aeajr.

I modified my Radian during the winter, but haven't flown it yet. It's new....

Used different control horns and clevises. Also swapped out the servos for HS -82 's.

Needed to ad about an ounce to the nose for the CG around 65 mm. Will try it there. Should be close to where it should be for good thermaling.

Am experienced in flying, but was wondering if anyone really measured the CG on their Radian.

Hope to have it out soon. The weather is finally breaking here in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Stay tuned.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:13 AM
dhcody

I fly mine at about 5mm back from the recommended. On another note I noticed the plane needed right trim so i weighed the wings on a gram scale and found the left one heaver then the right so I sunk a small piece of led on the cg mark in the right wing. Put the wing halves together checked the left right ballance. Flys great now. When the wind is up 10-15mph the guys in our club put a steel rod inside the wing joiner tube they purchaced from home depot for ballast. I have not tried it yet but they beat me out in a limited motor run contest when the wind went above 10 last Sat. that extra weight allowed penetration into the wind.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:40 PM
glowfuel

dhcody,

That's where I have mine right now. Will test fly it hopefully soon. Depending on weather and work.
Should be a nice, relaxing sailplane.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:05 PM
aeajr

Mine is completely stock in every respect, except for the Penny I taped near the tail to move the CG back.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Porjy

Made my first extended thermal flight today (45 minutes / 5min power) in windy Michigan conditions! I had my CG in the stock position, and the Radian was maintaining altitude flying a large 150 yd X 350 yard rectange pattern over the field, lift was everywhere. Seemed to fly and land great. Only had to circle a little. I'll try the CG farther back "if" and when it ever gets to be a calm or low wind day.
Porjy

Old 03-19-2010, 06:39 AM
phillipmorris

Wow weather is finally breaking and thermals are certainly here, friend and I both over 40 minute flights with Radians...been a few months since flying mine, believe mine is usually abit nose heavy battery about 3/4 or more inserted, as usually winds here and behaves better for me, still even with this setting it thermals amazingly well, had it up with 7 hawks few days ago, but other day found some nice lift and was greeted by a single hawk as we both circled together enjoying the ride, reached amazing heights...Spring is nearly here..hooooray...BEST ....

Note also had a low lift experience well below tree level, kept circling middle of the field with lightest lift for near 4 to 5 minutes before I finally lost the lift zone, be alert for these, always a treat.....
Old 03-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Porjy

Phillipmorris
That low alt. lift sounds great, I wish I ran into it myself more often.
Porjy