Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS .108 VS ST 90 pow diff?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:00 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OS .108 VS ST 90 pow diff?

Considering the fact that the majority of gasoline burning model engines are simply utility engines that have been modified (lightened somewhat) for model use, the industry still has quite a bit of weight savings to obtain by purposefully designing engines from the start for gas burning model usage. OS just did this very thing with their 55cc gas burner engine.

Ed, NM2K
Old 03-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Considering the fact that the majority of gasoline burning model engines are simply utility engines that have been modified (lightened somewhat) for model use, the industry still has quite a bit of weight savings to obtain by purposefully designing engines from the start for gas burning model usage. OS just did this very thing with their 55cc gas burner engine.

Ed, NM2K

But look at the price.[X(] Do you actually think people will pick that engine over a DA or such, when you can dang near buy two DL 50 for the same price.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:31 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Ed, NM2K

But look at the price.[X(] Do you actually think people will pick that engine over a DA or such, when you can dang near buy two DL 50 for the same price.

No, of course not.

OS is the leader in sport engine technology, more or less. Their prices are always ridiculously high. Just price their .56 four-stroke engine. But, eventually, others will join in. The others being companies not even established yet (Chinese, Thai and Indian) and some existing Asia companies, such as Sanye and the folks that make GMS engines. No, I don't have inside information, but it seems inevitable as the current economic depression spreads world wide and the lack of working capital makes itself felt.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-12-2010, 05:12 AM
Harry Lagman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

Yes, they will.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Flyer95
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

OS108 was one of the best running and most reliable twostroke glow engines i had much because of the 7D carb. And you can thrust mounting this engine on a airplane you like. The OS120AX which replaced the 108 is also a very good solid engine but carb. design is more simple like any other modern OS twostroke engine. ST90 is not as powerfull, reliable or pleasureable to operate. Both engines wake up and give 1000rpm more on a tuned quiet pipe incase you need the extra power.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:43 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: shaggy48

Only problem with gas engines is they are so heavy
Thats interesting, I just converrted my GB sukhoi over to a gas I had a ST-2300 & bisson muff in it and while it flew the plane ok I replaced it with a DLE- 30 and guess what The 30 is lighter even including the ign.& muff. Now If I add the battery It will be over the weight of the 2300 but with the smaller tank I will save that weight back in fuel alone. But if I choose to go with a single battery set up I will actually save a little in the weight dept, plus have way more power output with the 30 than the 2300 will ever have.
So not all of the small gas engines are that heavy and put out some very serious power.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Flyer95

ST are a little on the heavy side but i am a little surprised that the G2300 "23cc" is heavier than a DLE30cc? Maybe ST needs to redesign the engine line and shave of some dead weight? However the problem with twostrokes gas engines and DLE30 is that one need another aftermarket quiet muffler to keep the noise down to an acceptable level for everyday use. It will weight atleast 5 times more than the original muffler, which is only an exhaust deflector, and that will add up to the total weight.
Compare the DLE30 to the Saito 180 which has a lower total up weight and give about the same performance and trust by turning a smaller prop. faster. The 180 is also much smaller in size, have the carb. in the right place and sounds nicer
Old 03-14-2010, 04:10 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

ORIGINAL: shaggy48

Only problem with gas engines is they are so heavy
Thats interesting, I just converrted my GB sukhoi over to a gas I had a ST-2300 & bisson muff in it and while it flew the plane ok I replaced it with a DLE- 30 and guess what The 30 is lighter even including the ign.& muff. Now If I add the battery It will be over the weight of the 2300 but with the smaller tank I will save that weight back in fuel alone. But if I choose to go with a single battery set up I will actually save a little in the weight dept, plus have way more power output with the 30 than the 2300 will ever have.
So not all of the small gas engines are that heavy and put out some very serious power.

The 30cc engine is a 1.8 CID engine, while the 23cc G2300 is a 1.4 CID engine. Still, I can't see anyway that the DLE 30 will equal the G2300 in HP, even with the slight advantage in displacement. Please post your results in this thread so we can read your impression of the DLE-30 once it is up and running. TIA

Ed Cregger
Old 03-18-2010, 06:58 PM
scott17

Do you guys think a 1.08 would power this plane nicely? http://www.nitroplanes.com/aezlzen12070.html
I have both and was going to use another engine on the Zlin 50 a long time age but ended up using it on another plane. If it has enough power, I could throw it together without buying a 120.....
Old 03-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Flyer95

For normal aerobatic flying with big loops and rolls this engine will power that plane nice but if you are into hovering or 3D i would recommend a fourstroke, Saito180.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:45 AM
scott17

I got this plane a long time ago and was going to put my OS 160 twin in it, but used it on an Ultra stick lite 120 instead. I have the 108 and the plane and I figured if they will work I'll try it! The plane should come out about 9 lbs.