Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

MT 35 Looks Like a Winner

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:11 PM
tele1974

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MT 35 Looks Like a Winner

Nice to see some activity in this post... I imagine it will get busier as more get this motor in their hands. In looking at the carb... it has a different carb throttle set up than I have used before...they again I am still a newbie and everything is new to me. It also has a locking mechanism of some sort. What is that?

How are you guys setting up your throttle linkage. The arm is not at a good angle for mounting the throttle servo posterior to the carb unless a we use a throttle arm like the DLE has. I am going to start looking for one.

I found them they are called tiller arms or throttle arm stand offs. Venom, PSP makes them... the Venom can be ordered from horizon.
Anyone know of other options. Also a metal servo arm drilled and tapped could be used.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97573.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	1397120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83368.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	1397121  
Old 03-13-2010, 01:55 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

If the carb has the detent hole, a ball and spring can be installed for about $3.00 to make it the standard choke style. I bought the parts to convert my EVO 26 years ago and have the #'s written down somewhere.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:26 PM
tele1974

What's in the box...ala' Finless... maybe not...

I don't need any reviews on this video... it is just a look at the engine. Thanks...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjb2pLVsBXw[/youtube]
Old 03-13-2010, 08:49 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tele1974

Nice to see some activity in this post... I imagine it will get busier as more get this motor in their hands. In looking at the carb... it has a different carb throttle set up than I have used before...they again I am still a newbie and everything is new to me. It also has a locking mechanism of some sort. What is that?

How are you guys setting up your throttle linkage. The arm is not at a good angle for mounting the throttle servo posterior to the carb unless a we use a throttle arm like the DLE has. I am going to start looking for one.

I found them they are called tiller arms or throttle arm stand offs. Venom, PSP makes them... the Venom can be ordered from horizon.
Anyone know of other options. Also a metal servo arm drilled and tapped could be used.

The choke arm can be removed and replaced with a "conventional" style one that is locked into the "open" position via a steel ball and a small spring lodged beneath the tip section of the arm.

The throttle tiller arm can be removed and replaced with whatever arm you prefer. I built one from a piece of 1/16" alum strip. With a Dremel tool, the mounting hole can be shaped to oval to match that of the throttle arm. The orientation of the oval cutout can be made such that you have a perfectly symmetric move for the throttle servo.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:05 PM
seagull extra
My Feedback: (12)

If you take the choke apart to convert it to the detent style be careful to threadlock the tiny screw that holds the buterfly to the shaft as it is a special locking type screw that does not hold the same after it has been removed. I have heard of engines that were destroyed by ingesting these screws after they come loose. I think the newer batch of MT35's is going to come with a standard type choke but I'm not for sure on that yet.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:19 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

If the choke screw is tightened well, there should be no problem. High strength threadlock can add extra security.

In all the carbs I worked on, only one has the locking screw (on the choke plate) that can not be unscrewed. That is the WT 285 with the tiller arms. At the end, I used the Dremel tool to cut the arm off (from the middle).

Here is the picture on the replaced throttle arm and choke shaft/plate (detent style) for WT285 installed on ZDZ40.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	db85724.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	1397472  
Old 03-13-2010, 11:49 PM
PlaneKrazee

ORIGINAL: seagull extra

If you take the choke apart to convert it to the detent style be careful to threadlock the tiny screw that holds the buterfly to the shaft as it is a special locking type screw that does not hold the same after it has been removed. I have heard of engines that were destroyed by ingesting these screws after they come loose. I think the newer batch of MT35's is going to come with a standard type choke but I'm not for sure on that yet.
Maybe Tomy will supply a new choke shaft, screw, spring and detent ball to us early buyers down the road.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:27 AM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The MT35s we sell will all have a larger better performing carb installed and will have a spring and ball detent choke. The current version MT35 carb is a WT759, it has a high idle cam choke, the valve is attached to the shaft with a swedged screw that cannot be reused. If you want to change the the choke on that carb to a detent ball type you will have to replace the shaft, screw, and add the spring and ball. The shaft has to be replaced because it's not grooved and detented for the ball to index into and would just wobble side to side and wear out the valve and carb body.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:57 AM
tele1974

Timing video for those that need help with it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0fvY210-Fo[/youtube]
Old 03-14-2010, 04:07 AM
tele1974

A long winded rant removed

Old 03-14-2010, 05:28 AM
brewski

ORIGINAL: tele1974

''The MT35s we sell will all have a larger better performing carb installed''

Are you kidding!!! I am sure you are not. That really torques me in a number of ways.

Supply a new choke shaft... whatever.... they are getting a entirely different carb for it???

It literally takes me months to save up for a motor...and to hear that... Wow!
Proud to have the motor, I thought I would post some video of it and come to find out...
Well that carb you have. Its already going to be replaced. Great! What a kick in the nards.

Oh wait... so I recieved a motor and it was known that the carb was going to be upgraded? Double Wow!

Happens all the time with new offerings. Actually it is a good thing because it means that the manufacturer is listening to the end user. It does not mean that there is anything wrong with your engine. I bought one of the early RCGF 26 engines and the next week the hub had a significant improvement that I missed out on so I know how you feel. Maybe you will get the upgrade offered but I am sure it will come with a cost. Enjoy your new prize.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:44 AM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry tele1974, the carb change is a recent development, it was not previously known. Many new products undergo running changes in their manufacture to implement improvements, I can't think of a single model RC engine this hasn't happened with. The WT759 is a good carburetor and the engine performs very well with it, with the exception of the choke mechanism, many may not notice a difference. We sell a lot of engines and have certain requirements for them and we've found it better to inform people of changes upfront whenever possible rather than letting them be surprised about it on their own. Tomy and the MT factory have been great and have a genuine desire to make the MT35 an outstanding performer in it's class.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:29 AM
PlaneKrazee

No worries. Run the engine and see how it performs, That's what I'm going to do. The interlocking choke may prove easier for starting. Set the choke, flip til it pops, if it stays running blip the throttle to release the choke and it stays running. Or it quits and you have to blip the throttle and flip until it starts. Can always order a DLE 30 carb

Nice videos. I might stick a cheap plastic velocity stack on the engine right off the bat. Horizon was selling them for $1.99 each.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:59 AM
figure9
My Feedback: (17)

My carb seems to be installed 180 deg from what the video shows. The throttle arm and mixture screws are on the cyclinder end which is the way I need it for my installation, but which way is right, or does it even matter?
Old 03-14-2010, 08:32 AM
tele1974

Nope doesn't matter... or it depends on the air frame.

Off to the hobby shop to see if I can find those blue anodized servo arms. I would like to use the DLE tiller if I can find it. That will off set the height enough they don't interfer with each other. I think I will install a push pull hand linkage to the choke with the spring disconnected. I may run a screw through the both arms on the choke so it doesn't move around and cause an issue.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:38 AM
gzkpez

759 is a good carb, auto chokes are ok but they are different, and require a little different set-up for linkages and can work very well.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:42 AM
tele1974

Good to here!!  I installed the throttle horn tonight.   I used a metal servo arm a socket head screw and two bolts to raise it above  the choke arm. I just threaded the nuts onto the end of the screw just to the other side and then ran the screw through the nuts and into the throttle shaft at the same time.  It won't work to thread the nuts first.   I then tightened one of the nuts against the bottom of the servo arm and the other to the top of the throttle shaft.  Red locktite and its not going anywhere.  

Old 03-15-2010, 02:43 PM
PlaneKrazee

Received my engine minutes ago..... NO carburetor. [sm=tired.gif]Called MTENGINESUSA.COM sending one out tomorrow.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:14 PM
jss
My Feedback: (8)

Any way you can post a pic of how you did the throttle link with the servo arm?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:24 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazee

Received my engine minutes ago..... NO carburetor. [sm=tired.gif]Called MTENGINESUSA.COM sending one out tomorrow.

No box, no serial number, no Tach lead on ignition and turning the engine over it feels like the ring was getting caught on the edge of a port on the down stroke. What the....

that's just WOW

waiting for ValleyView to receive their stock
Old 03-15-2010, 05:58 PM
tele1974

Don't watch this... it will ruin your engine. And it is complete waste of 3 minutes that you will never get back!

Just kidding...its a video how I installed my throttle arm and another way to check timing. The Caliper Method.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrTp0x1sXcs[/youtube]
Old 03-15-2010, 09:32 PM
tele1974

Sorry to hear about your engine...Krazee. Something is certainly weird about that because the ignition comes as a kit. Sounds like yours happen to be a bad one so it was going to be used for parts and it didn't get separated from the rest. Sounds like your taken care of anyway. Ever pull something off the shelf at a retail store see that it had been opened then put it back and grab an unopened one. I certainly do that...for fear that some of the parts are missing.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 PM
PlaneKrazee

Thank you Tomy and Jack.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:02 AM
tele1974

Nope the DLE came the same way.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Rocketman_

The MT-35 has the displacement, physical size, weight, carb location, beam mounts and propeller mounting options that I was looking for. Since it will fit well in a model that currently has an MVVS 26cc w/pipe, I decided to take a chance on it even though there is so little flight info available.

I ordered an MT-35 from the mtenginesusa.com website on Monday 3/15/10 at 3:54PM and it arrived today (Thursday) 3/18/10 at 3:30PM. It came in one of those US Postal Service flat rate priority mail boxes and there was another box inside. The inner box had dark gray foam padding top and bottom and cut sections of foam for the ignition and muffler. Strangely, the engine was wrapped in bubble wrap and placed inside a bubble wrap lined FedEx shipping bag.

The carb is Walbro and the ignition is Rcexl. The engine rotates smoothly by hand with the spark plug removed.
So far so good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.