Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

A Mini Cooper, A Drifter, And a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Gdolboy3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Mini Cooper, A Drifter, And a Porsche

So I'm looking to get into R/C again, and mostly for the fun of it for the most part. Been looking at kits and trying to come up with the right stuff for what I'd like to do. If I could get some experience from you guys on what would work for me, I'd be incredibly thankful. It's mainly about the bodies for right now. When I mentioned to my wife about dropping the coin to get back into this, she became interested in having a kit for herself to assemble and paint and enjoy the hobby with me! (it's almost likea license to........uh, nevermind) We're going to start out with some off-road buggies in the mean time, but in the near future we want to build and have some on-road cars to show off once we learn the basics of building, painting, setting-up and driving the more forgiving buggies. So here's what I'm looking for...

We've found the Tamiya Mini Cooper S '06 Model. Ithink it's an M-03L Chassis. I know it's front wheel drive... Will it drift? Or will only the Four Wheel Drive Touring Sedans do that? The Cooper is her choice for herself, and she's interested in learning how to make an R/CCar drift. However, it's mainly about the Cooper body and anything that motors around with that shell I'm sure will be sufice.

For me, I'm partial to the Tamiya Porsche on the TT-01E Chassis, mainly for the Porsche Body. Would the Tamiya Porsche Body fit the M-03L Chassis without too much hassle? Will the Mini Cooper Body fit the TT-01E Chassis? This is my main question here.

HPI also makes a Miata body that we like... will if fit either M-03L Chassis or TT-01E Chassis?

If it's possible I'd like to get two of the same chassis, and just buy bodies to suit our tastes in order to havetwo comparable vehicles for speeding around together. I'm currently military stationed overseas, and don't really have all that great access to a hobby shop to touch and smell out these answers so I'm very appreciative of any info I can get from all! Thanks!

Old 03-16-2010, 06:32 AM
Bok

Default RE: A Mini Cooper, A Drifter, And a Porsche

The M03 is FWD and will not drift. I already tried it The Mini Cooper body will not fit the TT01, it's too short. You might be able to fit the Porsche body on the M03L by converting it to a FF02, or you could just buy a FF02 and get a Porsche shell for it. The FF02 is basically an M03 with a longer wheelbase extension and longer arms. The only problem is that the steering servo is on top, so you might not be able to fit low-nose bodies properly. M03 and FF02 should pretty much be equal when bombing around the parking lot, although the FF02 will be more stable due to the longer wheelbase and wider track. And yes the HPI Miata body will fit the M03L, but you will have to configure it to Medium wheelbase by using the shorter chassis extension which is included in the kit.

Another option is to get two M05s. You can fit the Mini Cooper S body on one, and install a 3Racing 257mm wheelbase extension kit on the other, so you can mount standard touring car bodies like the Porsche. However you will still need to install longer arms otherwise it'll look weird

Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Gdolboy3

Default RE: A Mini Cooper, A Drifter, And a Porsche

Awesome...  Thanks for the good Information.  Getting 2 M-03L's and putting a Miata Body on one will work for me!