Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Palmer 132" AC-130 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Palmer 132" AC-130 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:34 PM
greeter896

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Palmer 132

ORIGINAL: oltimer

Now for the pictures. I forgot to say O.K.
Page 22, Post 535.

Hello,

Is this the basic design of the flaps with modifications? Would you recommend just having the short kit sent to you and buying the stringers and sheeting at the local hobby store or would it be better to but the long kit? Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Gary
Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 PM
oltimer

Gary;

This project is VERY complex given the parts we have to work with. There are MANY ERRORS in the plans and I suggest you read through the whole set of threads as time permits. Many of the items discussed will save you a lot of grief in the long run.

If it were mine to do again I would order the short kit and buy the planking wood from a good source. You need 6 to 8 pound wood to make some of the bends required in this kit. Different people building this aircraft have purchased their kits from various sources. I bought mine through All American Kit Cutters. Parts were fine but the planking material was miserable quality that's why I suggest you buy your own sheeting to suit youself.

Page 22 is into the Fowler Flap area but several sheets earlier (maybe 19 or so) is where we really started the issue of Fowler Flaps. I have lots of pictures and the text in this thread is pretty much what was discussed. Several people have implemented the scheme with good success. Mike and I discussed it at length and I sent him my mockup of the system. From the test you will find that this method was borrowed and modified from a system that was in a P-38. Somewhere I mention the name of the article that was published in Model Airplane News in the ninety's. There were two systems, the original one was an air operated system, but subsequently they designed a servo driven system which is what I and others have used. Check the pages for the article description and if you can't find it look into the Model Airplane News plans service. It is in there listing.

Regarding the tailplane incidence; I highly recommend that you NOT use the minus 2 degrees stipulated on the plans. Go for zero degrees or at least plus one or two degrees POSITIVE! If you use the plan incidence you will have to carry DOWN ELVEVATOR to make it fly straight. See Myron Popesceu's comments contained within this thread.

I hope this helps you as the result of your efforts will be VERY rewarding. If you need more pictures than you see regardng the Fowler Flaps I will be happy to send them to you or post them herein.

Regards, Frank
Old 03-18-2010, 03:05 PM
greeter896

Gary;

This project is VERY complex given the parts we have to work with. There are MANY ERRORS in the plans and I suggest you read through the whole set of threads as time permits. Many of the items discussed will save you a lot of grief in the long run.

If it were mine to do again I would order the short kit and buy the planking wood from a good source. You need 6 to 8 pound wood to make some of the bends required in this kit. Different people building this aircraft have purchased their kits from various sources. I bought mine through All American Kit Cutters. Parts were fine but the planking material was miserable quality that's why I suggest you buy your own sheeting to suit youself.

Page 22 is into the Fowler Flap area but several sheets earlier (maybe 19 or so) is where we really started the issue of Fowler Flaps. I have lots of pictures and the text in this thread is pretty much what was discussed. Several people have implemented the scheme with good success. Mike and I discussed it at length and I sent him my mockup of the system. From the test you will find that this method was borrowed and modified from a system that was in a P-38. Somewhere I mention the name of the article that was published in Model Airplane News in the ninety's. There were two systems, the original one was an air operated system, but subsequently they designed a servo driven system which is what I and others have used. Check the pages for the article description and if you can't find it look into the Model Airplane News plans service. It is in there listing.

Regarding the tailplane incidence; I highly recommend that you NOT use the minus 2 degrees stipulated on the plans. Go for zero degrees or at least plus one or two degrees POSITIVE! If you use the plan incidence you will have to carry DOWN ELVEVATOR to make it fly straight. See Myron Popesceu's comments contained within this thread.

I hope this helps you as the result of your efforts will be VERY rewarding. If you need more pictures than you see regardng the Fowler Flaps I will be happy to send them to you or post them herein.

Regards, Frank
Hello Frank,

Thank you so much for the information! It's people like you that keeps me going, I really appreciate the time you took to respond to all my questions.

I have never taken on a project of this size but I'am looking forward to it now that I know I can come here and get answers and get opinions on new ideas. This thread has a lot of good information and I plan on reading every post as you have suggested, maybe even twice! I will also be ordering the short kit as recommended.

I have another question which may have been answered already in this thread. If so, perhaps additional recommendations can be made.
Here is the question;

Has anyone converted the 132" version of the C-130 to electric? If so, what motor would you recommend to turn a four blade prop?

Best Regards,

Gary

p.s. Frank, I would really love to see pictures of your C-130.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:42 PM
oltimer

Gary;

There have been several people building this model who have considered going the electric route. I cannot address this issue as I am as advertised an "oltimer" and not inclined to such expensive ventures. Perhaps someone else can be of more assistance.

Send me your Email address and I would be pleased to send you photos.

Frank
Old 03-18-2010, 06:05 PM
greeter896

Gary;

There have been several people building this model who have considered going the electric route. I cannot address this issue as I am as advertised an ''oltimer'' and not inclined to such expensive ventures. Perhaps someone else can be of more assistance.

Send me your Email address and I would be pleased to send you photos.

Frank
Hi Frank,

I sent you an email.

Regards,

Gary
Old 03-19-2010, 10:33 AM
dmcconneyherc

greeter896,

I am doing my version as a stretch and with full electrics. I will also be doing my prop assy as a variation of Richard Malinowskis' variable pitch prop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJDdpaHEZMs. Richards' assy is fullly variable and uses the trainer switch to switch to reverse. It is quite simple in its design and should be very effective. I am looking into designing and building my own scale props. I have a several ideas for this and will be testing over the coming months. My plan at present is to use 90 size electrics at 29.6v. MotoCalc tells me this birdy should be great for 3D lol.

Dave
Old 03-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dmcconneyherc

greeter896,

I am doing my version as a stretch and with full electrics. I will also be doing my prop assy as a variation of Richard Malinowskis' variable pitch prop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJDdpaHEZMs. Richards' assy is fullly variable and uses the trainer switch to switch to reverse. It is quite simple in its design and should be very effective. I am looking into designing and building my own scale props. I have a several ideas for this and will be testing over the coming months. My plan at present is to use 90 size electrics at 29.6v. MotoCalc tells me this birdy should be great for 3D lol.

Dave

Hey Dave,

I will be following your leads also for my C130 as an electric powered model, i haven't decided
what type of motors, ESCs and battries i will be using but will do in coming weeks. As far as variable pitch prop assembly is considered i will wait for George at Highland Propellers to come up with his e-version and will also look at your route also.

Btw your utube link is not taking us to specific video!, it opens into bunch of them all unrelated to RC....

I'm home now, it feels great to be back home with proper diagnosis to my back and legs problems, i will be going to day hospital and also to back pain's management clinic for proper
treatment.

Sam
Old 03-19-2010, 12:23 PM
dmcconneyherc

Hi Sam,

Glad to hear you are back home and progressing. Let's try this again. Here is the page that got me started with this idea. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...200180&page=16 (post #229). I am thinking if I am going to try the custom prop route I will also try fabricating the R391 (6 blade version) blade. This should be fun.

Dave
Old 03-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Props4ever

Very Interesting setup Dave, I'm sure if Dag can use that system on his 240"ws C130, we could on our 132"ws models also. Like i said ur the leader in this and i will follow you. Can you tell me what types of motors, Esc's and batteries you have selected for you models, it's been a while when you mentioned them to me n i was way more inclined to go glow route back then.

Sam
Old 03-19-2010, 01:02 PM
dmcconneyherc

Sam,

Right now I am looking at E-flite Power BL90 and the Castle Creations HV85. Our club President will help me with the machining. I haven't decided on the fabrication method for the props yet. lots of options. The hub assy will be very easy to reproduce. A six blade version will be the fun part but would be really cool.

Dave
Old 03-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Props4ever

Dave,

Ok on E-propulsion system, Hmmm 6 blade version more sounds like ur going after CC-130J model!, well that would be great to see, i wish there was non-stretched version with 6 bladed props in production, i would have replicated my C130 after that one!. Keep me n us updated with your developments as i will restarting on my model in next few weeks.

Thanks for wishing me back home, it sure feels great to be back on my feet with walker for now but still 1000 times better then wheeling around on wheelchair!...i'll call ya later in the evening today.

Sam
Old 03-19-2010, 01:36 PM
dmcconneyherc

Sam,

If I can get the blades to work the yes it will be converted to a C-130J Super Hercules - CF scheme with all the bells, whistles and trimmings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87180.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1401095  
Old 03-19-2010, 03:46 PM
dmcconneyherc

Sam,

The standard C-130J is the same length as the C-130H (Palmer Plans). The C-130J-30 Super Hercules is the stretch version.

Dave
Old 03-19-2010, 08:37 PM
greeter896

Hello,

Where did you guys get your kits from?

Regards,

Gary
Old 03-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: greeter896

Hello,

Where did you guys get your kits from?

Regards,

Gary
Gary,

Look up post 1298 on the link im posting, thats how i got my C130, from there to where it ended, is where she is a presently.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_48...52/key_/tm.htm

Sam

Old 03-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: dmcconneyherc

Sam,

The standard C-130J is the same length as the C-130H (Palmer Plans). The C-130J-30 Super Hercules is the stretch version.

Dave
Hmmm ok Dave, maybe hospital did something to my memory!, for some reason i was thinking C130J were only offered as -30 Stretched Super Hercules only...will do my search now on standard "J" variant.

Sam
Old 03-19-2010, 11:42 PM
dmcconneyherc

Hi Gary,

Several of us in this forum got our kits from Precision Cut Kits. These kits are Dan Palmer Plans and have quite a few errors in them which PCK seems content not to correct. If you read through the whole forum (cover to cover) you should be forewarned enough to take a stab at the PCK kit. There are not that many kits out there to choose from. If you do not mind the additional engineering and tinkering it is not a bad kit. I have found it an easy kit to modify. The kit comes as an empty shell H model and I am stuffing it with all the goodies (flight deck, cargo floor, cargo rails, fully working para doors, the list goes on and on) and turning it into a J-30 Super Herc (stretched).

Dave
Old 03-31-2010, 07:35 AM
jan brilman

Hi UkerDuker / Mike,

Very glad to have found this thread!

Great job, I know the plans and the model, there really is a LOT of work involved.

Beautiful, hang in there!

Some years ago I also started a Palmer C-130, and increased the 87" plans to 100" wing span.

I build the fuselage, but then got stuck in attemps to scale recreate the front wheel doors actuation mechanisms (or is that one word???)

(See http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/...mer-plans.html

Then son #3 was born, other projects came along, etc.etc.

But recently I feel like taking her up again!

In the mean time, I read something here on the stab; what is proven technology for this model as far as
- wing incidence,
- stab incidence,
- wing wash out and
- engine thrust lines
are concerned?

Thanks!

jan brilman
netherlands.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:44 PM
ivves

Hello Jan.

Welcome to the Herc. gang.

Nice to here that you plan to start a build of the Hercules.

I started my projekt i november last year. I can tell you that it`s not the most easyest model to build, there are lots of errors in the plans so you have to scratch your head a lot.

My goal is to have all the options there is, like real fowler flaps, working tailgate, landing and navigation lights and even reverse gear on the boogie wheels.

Here is a link to my webalbum... http://picasaweb.google.se/ivvesrc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIlS5yRmgJ4
Old 03-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Olsen

Hello

Some photos of my cockpit it is not true scale but it looks a little like the office in a C-130. I have made some not scale airscoops on the cowls it looks better than if you could see the top of the engines (OS 91 Fourstroke).
Mine is completely finished on the outside now so I am going to put the landing gear in again and mount all the radio and engines, most of the work is prepared for, and I just received the flextubes for the exhausts so I hope I will finish it in May.
Ivves I have sent you a PM on the Danish site.

Name:	Gd93600.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1408484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58542.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1408485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48505.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1408486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85729.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1408487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ht97921.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1408488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp92454.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1408489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl93244.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1408490   Click image for larger version

Name:	On46721.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1408491  

Old 03-31-2010, 05:45 PM
oltimer

Olson;

VERY nice job on the cockpit area!! It looks almost real. The model looks good too! Good luck on your first flight. Keep us posted as to your success.

Frank
Old 04-07-2010, 04:02 AM
Stretch-87

Hi Gary,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you with information reguarding the landing and taxi lights. I was put onto station guard as soon as i got back to work so havnt really had chance to get any pics for you. Anyway, back on shift now so have been able to get some pictures for you. Below are pictures of the landing light retracted and extended and the taxi light on the MLG door. Any other pictures you need just let me know.

Chris.

Name:	Ig11048.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1413603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48141.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1413604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94083.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1413605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75384.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1413606  
Old 04-07-2010, 12:35 PM
greeter896

Hey Chris,

The pictures are GREAT!!! Just the pictures I needed, thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Gary
Old 04-07-2010, 10:35 PM
greeter896

Hi Frank, Sam, Chris & Olsen,

How many radio channels would you recommend for this C-130? Please give me your opinion on what brand of radio your would choose.

Best Regards,

Gary
Old 04-08-2010, 05:08 PM
oltimer

Gary;

I can't recommend any particular radio system as they are ALL very reliable on 2.4 Ghz. Don't buy anything on 72 as you may run into some type of interference depending on your area and you are in a very high probability area in San Bernadino.

What I recommend you do is determine what it is you want to control and how you will accomplish it. There are six main controls that this model demands and they are throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder, gear, and flaps. Anything beyond that is extra. It also depends on whether or not you will use two channels for aileron and elevator. Throttles are an additional situation. You will have four engines to control, etc.

When you have planned out your requirements THEN look at which radio best meets your requirements. Futaba has a 14 channel radio if you go wild on options or JR has a 12 channel if you need less options. I have a friend who has one of these things flying and he uses a Futaba 14 channel with one engine on each of four channels. Overkill as far as I am concerned but that was his solution. He flies his plane often with no problems. Incidently this is his second model as the first one had a happening with a barb wire fence on the second or third flight! He did change the stab incidence on the second model and he said it flew like a dream!!

Your choice my friend, Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.