Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Which buggy should i get??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:41 PM
pheanix11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which buggy should i get??

i've been looking at some brushless buggys, 1/8th scale RTR and somewhere between 200$-400$. i've been thinking about the kyosho inferno VE, but its a bit out of my budget, what do you guys think about please help me choose, (NO INCOME) check out the website http ://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_1258/products_id/149502/n/Kyosho-Inferno-VE-4WD-Brushless-Electric-1-8-Off-Road-Buggy-RTR
Old 03-13-2010, 06:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Which buggy should i get??

that kyosho's way outta your budget once you tack on the stuff to make it move.

batteries and a charger will blow your budget away
plan on spending between $120-160 for 2-3 batteries and a charger. (I'm basing it on pricing of turnigy batteries, and charger from Hobbycity other places are more)
and I dunno of any 1/8th RTRs that cost $240 that are decent
on average for 1/8th scale electric your loking at $700 minimum entry.

If you plan on electric I'd drop down to 1/10th scale or 1/12th scale as those are a tad more friendly on the wallet, and not go brushless (even 1/10th scale BL RTRs are $350 without batteries)
Old 03-13-2010, 08:22 PM
pheanix11

hmmmmm, do you know any websites that sell li-po batterys?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:28 PM
ginnz
My Feedback: (2)

try hobbycity..... look for the "zippy" line of li-po's. they are AWESOME li-po's!!!! ive bought a dozen 3S 2200mAh 20C packs in the past for my 450 class heli's, and they are just as good, IF NOT better than the expensive brand name packs.... and their 6S packs are the best! 3s packs can be had for under 20.00, and 4s packs are around 25-30 bucks as well..... they cant be beat!

as a matter of fact, i bought two Outrage 6s, 3000 mAh packs last summer, and at the same time, a couple zippy 6S, 3000 mAh packs for my Trex 500's..... the zippy packs outperfromed the Outrage packs, and one of the Outrage packs puffed up after 5-6 cycles! and im STILL using the zippy packs to this day! the outrage packs cost me 140.00 each, i believe, and the zippy packs were around 45.00 each..... its a "No-Brainer!" ;-)
Old 03-13-2010, 11:21 PM
sbrond

As far as batterys go you can also check hobbypartz.com and look at the blue lipo's i have 10 of there 20c 3300's and have yet to have a problem with them and they all have about 50 to 60 runs on them.. they stay in balance even after 5 to 6 charges. and the cost $17.They also offer $ flat rate shipping.

Now i will prob get flamed for this but hey what ever. I have a hot bodies d8 for gaswhich in the end costme a tade over a grand.Then for electric i have an exceed madfire RE that i paid $287 ready to run. even has 2 25c 3300 lipos that come with it. (no charger) Now i race both buggys every monday. The d8 is a better buggie by all means but for the money the madfire is a hell of a car. On avereage i will brake my d8 about ever 6th heat. my madfire about every 4th to 5th heat. Now here is where thedifference comes inmy local hobby shop does not offer parts for either so i order for both cars. But when i brake the madfire it cost me on aver about $6 to fix it and the d8 on aver cost me about $50 to $60. you do the math.

For a starter elec 1/8 you cantgo wrong i place in the top 3 if not higher every week with this car. It has its down points but its price make up more than enough for it.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:32 PM
ScottStaypuff

ORIGINAL: sbrond

As far as batterys go you can also check hobbypartz.com and look at the blue lipo's i have 10 of there 20c 3300's and have yet to have a problem with them and they all have about 50 to 60 runs on them.. they stay in balance even after 5 to 6 charges. and the cost $17. They also offer $ flat rate shipping.

Now i will prob get flamed for this but hey what ever. I have a hot bodies d8 for gas which in the end cost me a tade over a grand. Then for electric i have an exceed madfire RE that i paid $287 ready to run. even has 2 25c 3300 lipos that come with it. (no charger) Now i race both buggys every monday. The d8 is a better buggie by all means but for the money the madfire is a hell of a car. On avereage i will brake my d8 about ever 6th heat. my madfire about every 4th to 5th heat. Now here is where the difference comes in my local hobby shop does not offer parts for either so i order for both cars. But when i brake the madfire it cost me on aver about $6 to fix it and the d8 on aver cost me about $50 to $60. you do the math.

For a starter elec 1/8 you cant go wrong i place in the top 3 if not higher every week with this car. It has its down points but its price make up more than enough for it.

Looks ok for the money. For a first 1/8th scale buggy for the OP it might be fine, especially if you're having good luck. You don't work for Exceed do you? (Kidding).

I just got an Ofna Ultra roller but I estimate > $500 to complete it with radio, servo, esc, motor, batteries and charger.

The 1/10th scale suggestion is pretty good to. OP could get something like an E-Firestorm flux and batteries/charger and be well under $400. They are very durable too so you won't be spending much later or have much down time.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:58 PM
sbrond

lol no i dont work for them. when i was looking for an elec 8th scale i looked all over at all brands.My money was tight somost were out of the ?. I took a chance on the exceed and have to say am not disapointedin the least! No its not a top notch buggy, but i can hang with the rest of them on the track. driving skill is more than the car. so if looking for somthing cheep that is not a bad set up. my props to exceed on this one.

One thing to mention is the car is not made by exceed, Nanda racing makes it for them!

Just my 2 cheep cents
Old 03-14-2010, 07:03 PM
ScottStaypuff

I hear you, we're all not made of money. Well good luck to you and your Exceed!
Old 03-15-2010, 12:03 PM
pheanix11

ORIGINAL: sbrond

lol no i dont work for them. when i was looking for an elec 8th scale i looked all over at all brands.My money was tight somost were out of the ?. I took a chance on the exceed and have to say am not disapointedin the least! No its not a top notch buggy, but i can hang with the rest of them on the track. driving skill is more than the car. so if looking for somthing cheep that is not a bad set up. my props to exceed on this one.

One thing to mention is the car is not made by exceed, Nanda racing makes it for them!

Just my 2 cheep cents

is it just the madfire thats not made by exceed or every exceed is not made by exceed?
Old 03-15-2010, 03:26 PM
sbrond

Not 100% sure but i belive none of there cars are made by them as alot of there models are the same as red cat and himoto. but i do know that the mad line is made by nanda racing who makes alot of parts for the bigger name companys.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:19 PM
pheanix11

hmmmm, so should i take a chance with the madfire (considering i have no income so ill have to run it 3-6 months without replacement parts )
Old 03-15-2010, 11:02 PM
sbrond

All buggies brake just be aware of that more so the 1/8th scales they go twice as fast as most 1/10 so u hit something hard enough expect broken parts. but the parts for the mad line are cheep cause they are not riding on there name
The only thing i have broke it a rear lower arm and rear hub... that was from takeing a triple and landing way on the other side almost 15 feet on the rear tire. cost me 9 bucks both parts!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:46 AM
lez1troubles

You could also just go to your local track and see if anyone is selling there buggy. You can some times find guys with more than one buggy and you will have some one with the no how about the set up and tuning. A complete set up second hand is a good way of getting into the hobby.
Welcome to the club dude. Have fun.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:36 AM
pheanix11

well i do have one friend is into this and he has quite a bit of those 18th buggies, he does let me drive quite a bit so i do have experience with the fast ones, not sure if hes selling any but i think ill go with the madfire because i could just use interchangable parts from himoto or red cat if i break anything,what other companies does nanda racing make parts for?
Old 03-19-2010, 03:35 PM
zeo 1

the exceed madfire buggy is fine i have ad mine a little while now and love it i also have a review on this site and a few others just click my name and you can see how i really feel about it :d