Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Helimax Axe CP Tail Motor Brushless

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Helimax Axe CP Tail Motor Brushless

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Quany1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helimax Axe CP Tail Motor Brushless

Has anyone tried installing the Electrifly Ammo GPMG5105 12-30-3850kV brushless motor on a Axe CPv3 tail? It looks like it will be a perfect fit. Iwas thinking it would improve the tail motor reliability. I have had many brushed motors overheat and burn out in flight....
Old 03-17-2010, 10:48 AM
JEMFLYER

Default RE: Helimax Axe CP Tail Motor Brushless

Quany1,

I would not use the Electrifly motor. The specs show it can only handle 2 amps continuous.

I am using the Blue Arrow BL1230 in a geared tail configuration. With any luck a picture will be attached.

The BL 1230 can handle a 6 amp load and it costs less. You will also need a brushless ESC. In the table below I've listed the parts I'm using for both the mail and tail motors.

These parts are available from www.hobbyking.com.

If you are using a stock helimax radio, you may have problems. I have not tried using brushless motors with the stock radio. One thing that will probably happen with the esc listed is
it will not arm until you hold full left rudder. This is equivalent to having the throttle a zero to arm a main motor esc.

Once armed, the tail motor will be running if you center the rudder. You have to hold left rudder until the main rotor spools up and starts to produce lift. Then you can let the rudder center
and once you have trimmed the tail, all will be well.

You will also need a gyro. I'd get the HK401b. Well, here is the table. Good luck.

MAIN MOTOR
KA400H
ESC FOR MAIN MOTOR
TR_P25A
TAIL MOTOR
BA-BL1230
ESC FOR TAIL MOTOR
TR_P10A
PROGRAMMING CARDESC
TR_PC
GYRO
HK401B
Hobby King 401B AVCS Digital Head Lock
AM1002A
PLUG CONNECTOR
2mm Gold Connectors - MAIN MOTOR
HXT0-8
PLUG CONNECTOR
0.8mm Gold Connectors - TAIL MOTOR

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10574.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1399997  
Old 03-18-2010, 04:31 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

I've been using a 10 gram outrunner from Hobbyking.com with a GWS 4.5x3 prop and it works great. I feel the original tail motor is too small which is why it burns up.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Quany1

Thanks for the feedback. I will start looking for another motor. Iwas hoping there would be one that would be a direct fit without much modification for my CPv3 direct drive. Im trying to stay away from the geared option.

Q
Old 03-20-2010, 09:58 AM
JEMFLYER

Quanyl,

The BA 1230 motor will fit the direct drivemount. The mounting holes are the same as for the stock tail motor, you can use the stock mounting screws.

The shaft on the stock motor extends 5mm beyond the bushing. The BA 1230 also had a useable shaft length of 5mm.

If you wanted to trysomething else, a motor which I have but have not used is theTR-B1230-4100. The mounting hole alignment is the same, but you might have to drill out the hole in the
direct drive mount because this motor uses larger mounting screws. This motor has a 10 mm shaft.

If you do buy another Helimax tail motor, get the one that comes with a pinion gear. You can pull off the pinion and save it in case you ever do decide to try the geared tail. 8 tooth 1.5mm brass pinions
are hard to find and expensive.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:46 AM
crtmmac
My Feedback: (12)

What esc did you use and do you know which RX connector is the rudder/tail control?

Thx
Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 AM
crtmmac
My Feedback: (12)

Did this gyro work OK? How did you wire it into the tail motor circuit?

Thx
Old 04-02-2010, 08:50 PM
PilotLight

ORIGINAL: crtmmac

Did this gyro work OK? How did you wire it into the tail motor circuit?

Thx
Here's the Manual for connecting a HH gyro. http://manuals.hobbico.com/hmx/hmxe04-gyro-manual.pdf
Old 01-02-2011, 11:51 AM
PNWFlyer
My Feedback: (5)

Ok, so I'm a little late to the party, but I didn't want to start a new thread. If this is too old to get a response, then maybe I will.

I am new to cp flying. Out of dumb luck, I ended up with an Axe cp.

I have read that the tail motors burn out. I haven't experienced a burned out motor (yet) maybe I won't...(or maybe Iwill)...I just thought I should try to get more understanding if/when motor burnout day arrives.

Is the verdict in on a final solution?

I'm so new to this, Idon't understand all the technical details of which esc to get if you change motors, how to select the correct esc motor combo, what does kva mean, in terms of power consumption, heat, amp load, etc...

I'm hoping that someone with an Axe has stumbled across the "perfect recipe"

Thanks.
js
Old 01-02-2011, 12:36 PM
dragus359

You will know when your tail motor is failing when the heli seems like it's losing the ability to counter it's disposition to rotate to the left. In the later stages of motor failure, your heli's tail rotor will still spin up, but no matter what you do, once in the air, the heli will constantly spin to the left. As for brushless set up, you should search around on the forums. I personally went with the belt-drive option, but, on this forum, I've come across what seem like pretty complete and robust solutions to the brushless set up.