Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

axe cpv3 better battery and upgrades

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

axe cpv3 better battery and upgrades

Old 03-23-2010, 08:16 AM
plank420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axe cpv3 better battery and upgrades

I just bought a cpv3. Love it. I was wondering what is a good battery for longer flight times, and a better charger. I dont know much about lipos. I want to upgrade the motors and servos. Any suggestions thanks.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 AM
dragus359
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: axe cpv3 better battery and upgrades

I'm not at home right now, so I can't tell you my brushless setup, but as far as lipos go, I'm currently using and very happy with the Blue Lipo 1300mAh 25C batt from X-Heli. I haven't used it for very long, so I don't know much about its longevity, but as far as performance, it's rock solid. In addition to this, X-Heli sells them pretty cheap. Turnigy batteries are another brand of batteries I use, and I really like them. I've used Turnigy for a bit longer, and I can really reccommend them. You can get that brand from hobbyking.com. They ship from Hong Kong, so it might take 2 or 3 weeks for delivery; however Turnigy is another brand you can get at a pretty low price, so I think it's worth the wait.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:00 PM
PilotLight

1300 mah 3 cell lipos work great. There are two sizes, so be sure to get the shorter of the two. I've used Thunderpower and Flightpower and find the TP are smaller, lighter, and last two, if not three, seasons with care.

Motor- Get a 3500Kv +/- motor with a 14,15, or 16 tooth pinion brushless of course. Helidirect.com has some cheap.

Servos- Hitec HS-55s, or any 9 gram servo. Metal gears will hold up to crashes better than the plastic ones.

If you are going this far, get a HH gyro too.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:07 AM
Jlem
My Feedback: (12)

Just a note about Hobby City and their Batteries. it depends on the time of year you purchase batteries from Hobby City. I bought two batteries over the winter and one arrived with crystallization and puffed up. I believe this was caused in transit by extreme cold weather but can not prove that. I inquired about a refund but Hobby City wanted me to send it back. The price of the battery was so cheap that it did not make sense to send it back plus I was not willing to accept the responsibility and danger of sending a battery in that condition in the mail. The Ternigy Batteries are in my opinion a good buy and are available at local hobby shops as well as mail order from stock here in the USA. Just a caution to you on buying lipos. Cheaper is not always better.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:01 AM
dragus359

I've bought 2 Turnigy batteries from them this past winter and they were delivered with no issues, so I don't think the season has anything to do with the puffing. I think that your battery was probably mishandled. Yes, cheaper isn't always better (learned that lesson on ebay), but if it's cheap and has tons of good reviews don't think twice about buying it ;-D
Old 03-25-2010, 12:51 PM
JEMFLYER

plank420,

Here is a table with the parts I'm using on my brushless Axe, except for the gyro which I have not tried yet. I'm using an MKS 191 gyro which works ok but is too expensive. The HK401B is a Futaba clone and should work very well.

MAIN MOTOR
KA400H
ESC FOR MAIN MOTOR
TR_P25A
TAIL MOTOR
BA-BL1230
ESC FOR TAIL MOTOR
TR_P10A
PROGRAMMING CARDESC
TR_PC
GYRO
HK401B
Hobby King 401B AVCS Digital Head Lock
AM1002A
PLUG CONNECTOR
2mm Gold Connectors - MAIN MOTOR
HXT0-8
PLUG CONNECTOR
0.8mm Gold Connectors - TAIL MOTOR
ZIPPY13003S20C
BATTERY 1300 20

These parts are available at www.hobbyking.com.

With any luck a few pictures will be attached showing my first modification to the frame to mount a 1300mAh battery upright and a second mod to mount the battery closer to the rotor plane.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11539.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1404577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80231.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1404578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87401.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	1404579  
Old 06-04-2010, 09:07 AM
crtmmac
My Feedback: (12)

How did it go. I tried the same, but the HK401 didn't work with the Plush 10A. The ESC worked without the gyro and the gyro worked with servos, but not with the ESC. When I replaced the RX with a Futaba the Gyro and ESC worked fine.

cheers
/colin