Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Old 03-24-2010, 05:30 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

ORIGINAL: Brendan Lugo

ORIGINAL: LQUAN

I just looked, there is no digital servo that fit the slot of the HS-225MG.
The HS-5245MG is the digital version of that servo.
Ah, thanks. I was look at Tower website. Didn't see it there.

Not that I am complaining about Optima 9 design. I think the design of having SPC for telemetry is great. Those are just the nature of things when we have too many new nice features such as telemetry and digital servos and, yet, the power supply remain unchanged.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:08 PM
GizmoMadMax

Aurora 9 HELP - Not sure if my question is listed in other threads, so please point me to them if so...

Question, I own a JR X9303 and am thinking about selling it for I this Hitec Aurora 9 (w/9 channel), BUT....
1. will this work with my indoor bind-n-fly Vapor and MCX and other 2.4 mini R/C toys?

2. Also, I don't think I can buy this until the 4 CHANNEL park flyer receivers are on the market, this makes NO sense, why the heck would this be out and NO 4 channel park flyer receivers, this seems really odd and not too smart on Hitec's part? When will they be out and how much will the cost and will there be package deals to buy 3 or 4 or 6 or four-channel receivers to convert my fleet???

3. Am I STUPID to sell my awesome, perfect, great, beautiful, slick, sweet JR X9303 for the Aurora 9???? Am I crazy??? Am I stupid??? I need to sell my x9303 to raise the money for the Aurora 9, but has the Auroro 9 been proven? has it BEEN at the MAJOR R/C shows, like Joe Nall, WarBirds and are there more reviews and testing of it by MAJOR magizines besides the only one I found by Fly RC magazine(who I never heard of until now)? HELP, am I stupid to sell my JR X9303, this has me in a sweat, my head is spinning, or do I sit tight until this spring and summer to see how this Aurora 9 works out at all the shows and R/C meets and rags and reviews???? HELP, stressing on this 3/31/2010 deadline???

Thanks so much!!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

Like ...................... don,t loose any sleep over it , it,s just a hobby ................. right . Geee , I thought we were all sick in our own special way

go get a good night sleep

Michel
Old 03-24-2010, 09:59 PM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

1. no

2. no 4s yet, beats my two pair

3. a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do
Old 03-24-2010, 11:49 PM
zero244

GizmoMadMax: I moved over from Futaba to the A9. If it were me I would sell my 9303 while people are still willing to give you a decent price and buy a A9.
Until the competition catches up the A9 is a very attractive system. Decent prices on the RX's and very intuitive programming.
I dont think I have heard anyone say the A9 is hard to program.
The touch screen is so much easier to use than wheels and buttons.
And the coming telemetry is just icing.
If you look around at the forums lots of JR and Futaba people are liking the A9.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 AM
PlaneInsane
My Feedback: (5)

I just did my first flights with the new A9 today in my 40% 260. It has 6 Hitec 7950's and 2 5955's, Jr 8411's on throttle and choke. Using 2 3350 Lipo's going into 2 Optima 9 receivers, regulated to 6.5 volts. My initial range check went over 350', incredible! It was rock solid all day.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:20 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: GizmoMadMax

Aurora 9 HELP - Not sure if my question is listed in other threads, so please point me to them if so...

Question, I own a JR X9303 and am thinking about selling it for I this Hitec Aurora 9 (w/9 channel), BUT....
1. will this work with my indoor bind-n-fly Vapor and MCX and other 2.4 mini R/C toys?

2. Also, I don't think I can buy this until the 4 CHANNEL park flyer receivers are on the market, this makes NO sense, why the heck would this be out and NO 4 channel park flyer receivers, this seems really odd and not too smart on Hitec's part? When will they be out and how much will the cost and will there be package deals to buy 3 or 4 or 6 or four-channel receivers to convert my fleet???

3. Am I STUPID to sell my awesome, perfect, great, beautiful, slick, sweet JR X9303 for the Aurora 9???? Am I crazy??? Am I stupid??? I need to sell my x9303 to raise the money for the Aurora 9, but has the Auroro 9 been proven? has it BEEN at the MAJOR R/C shows, like Joe Nall, WarBirds and are there more reviews and testing of it by MAJOR magizines besides the only one I found by Fly RC magazine(who I never heard of until now)? HELP, am I stupid to sell my JR X9303, this has me in a sweat, my head is spinning, or do I sit tight until this spring and summer to see how this Aurora 9 works out at all the shows and R/C meets and rags and reviews???? HELP, stressing on this 3/31/2010 deadline???

Thanks so much!!!!
1. If you choose to change brands, you WILL have to commit to the new brand's receivers since each brand has it's own matched RX's for binding. While I don't know for sure because I've just gotten into 2.4ghz, I "think" the Spektrum receivers will work with the A9 so you "might" be able to use your current receivers. But don't take my word on that.

2. All products start with a certain set of accessories, and I would imaging that Hitec will eventually come out with 4-channel RX's. If having 4-channel RX's right now at this moment is a deal-breaker, then stay with the JR and be happy.

3. In "the old days" before computer radios, the hardware made a difference. Now, not so much, because every manufacturer has managed to build a box with levers and switches that feels pretty good in the hands. So today when people compare radios , they usually discuss programming features, adaptability, and ease of programming (once initially learned) because it's the programming that differentiates most radios from each other.
You've already read reports by many others that the Aurora 9 has found a top-end nitch specifically in the area of programming, and that's why you seem to want one so much.
But at this point in time, you have learned how to program your JR easily enough, it seems to have enough features that work for you, you can get 4-channel receivers (although I don't know how much a difference in cost they are from the $69 7-channel Hitec RX's), and best of all, what you have is all paid for.

Sounds to me that you're pretty well set up already, and the only reason you'd want to change to the A9 is if you want to commit to another system with it's full assignability of channels and easiest programming I've seen in a radio since my Multiplex EVO/12 (now replaced by the A9), least expensive (comparable # of channels) RX's on the market, and backed up by a company that has already demonstrated their committment to the hobby for the long term.
If those things aren't enough to change the brand of system you use, then the JR should continue to serve you well.
As you've seen, choosing a 2.4ghz system is a real committment due to having to (possibly) change out all your RX's, and that could add up to quite a bit if you have a lot of airplanes. So when someone does make a choice, you should make that choice for all the right reasons and not just because someone else says you should. If it is possible to use your existing RX's, then moving to the Aurora 9 might be a no-brainer.
I held off going to 2.4ghz right up until this last couple of months because I wanted to let things shake out and see which system I was willing to commit to. I finally chose the A9, so now the spending begins, replacing all the RX's and even batteries because I'm going with 5-cell RX packs on everything.

If we gave our wives so much attention to detail by exploring all their features and ease of use before committing ourselves to the "system", there wouldn't be so many divorces.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:10 AM
ExcaliburIII

We made the jump to a really cool radio, now why would anybody stay with old technology Batteries. I no longer own any old tech batteries, only A123's and LiPoly's(TX battery)
Recycle those old NiCads it's the Green thing to do.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:27 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: zero244

GizmoMadMax: I moved over from Futaba to the A9. If it were me I would sell my 9303 while people are still willing to give you a decent price and buy a A9.
Until the competition catches up the A9 is a very attractive system. Decent prices on the RX's and very intuitive programming.
If you look around at the forums lots of JR and Futaba people are liking the A9.
I hope the prices do come down! I'd like to pick up a 12 channel for a reasonable price for flying jets.
I wish that hitec would have followed futaba and made the aurora a 10 channel minimum!!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 AM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch

ORIGINAL: zero244

I hope the prices do come down! I'd like to pick up a 12 channel for a reasonable price for flying jets.
I wish that hitec would have followed futaba and made the aurora a 10 channel minimum!!
Me too. I am pretty sure Hitec got an Aurora 12 cooking in the oven. The price on the A9 is too attractive for me to pass. I am not going hold out on the A9 while waiting for the A12. Marketing won't tell you what's coming anyway.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:16 PM
czaiss

I think this radio was taylored for the (non micro airplane/heli crowd), who were dying at the mercy of overpriced radios and receivers. It was also meant to shift all the hitec 72Mhz users to 2.4 and along the way convert a few competitors. However I'm sure once they catch up with supplying the current backorders, they will start working on some extras.

You can however strip the case off the 6ch receiver, they get pretty light weight.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:41 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

I recieved mine from Toms Rc in Ca. Yesterday and I will be replacing my JR 9303 2.4 with this one if everything tests out OK. I still have one on back order from tower and will keep it on order, Our clubis going to raffle it off when it comes in.

I am very excited to get this reciever into one of my planes and test it out before i go to Joe Nall this year. Is ther anything i should do when flying at Joe Nall with this system?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:48 PM
MaineBear

Suggest you look at the Joe Nall web site: http://www.joenall.com/2010pilotinformation.html. Should answer most questions.

Dick
Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Meyer1811

Some one asked a question about using the A9 with the Vapor and other small bind & fly type planes where the receiver, ESC and servos all reside on a single circuit board.

The answer is that the A9 will not work with those planes because they all use brand S Tx/Rx logic..

That is the only reason I am keeping my DX7 around.

John
Old 03-25-2010, 09:42 PM
GizmoMadMax

Hi MaineBear,

That link fails, could you supply us with another link, thanks
Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 PM
GizmoMadMax

So are you saying it works OK if you turn the Tx on first?
Or is this issue a problem for ALL folks with analog servo's, yiks????
So help me understand, does this mean if we have the A9, the trims for analog servo's may never really stay where you setup you plane and will change each time you go out to fly becuase the crazy thing causes analog servo's to move around randomly? scary?

Does our Hitec tech support have some tech feed back here for us?
Thank you!

Mike,

I found an issue with the Optima 9 receivers.

This may not be an issue if you use ONLY digital servos. I currently have analog servos on throttle, choke, retract valve, and bomb drop on my scale warbirds. Having a combination of Optima 9 and analog servo on my retract valve is a major issue for me. EVERY TIME I SWITCH ON THE RX, ALL ANALOG SERVOS MOVE CW ABOUT 10 DEGREE. I currently have HS-225MG servo on my retract valve and Futaba S9001 coreless on choke and throttle. Every time I switch on the the Rx before the Tx, these analog servo move CW about 10 degree and stay there. If I turn on the Tx first, then turn the Rx, all analog servo move CW about 10 degree and move back to neutral positions. When the retract servo moves, it colapses my landing gears. Even with the Tx turned on first, the servo's forth and back movements also cause the landing gears to colapse. With a 35lbs warbird, there is no way the temporary valve movement cannot react fast enough to lock the gears to hold the bird.

I have rebound the Rx and Tx many times. I even waited 30 seconds for it to rebind before shutting off the Rx. I have 4 Optima 9 receivers. They all do the same. If you leave the Tx off and turn on and off the Rx enough times, the servo arm will move until it hit the hard stop limit. And it will continue to twitch at the limit when turn the Rx on/off. Please help.

The HS-225MG is a mini servo. I cannot fit a standard digital servo into the same spot without some difficult mods.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:51 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: GizmoMadMax Hi MaineBear, That link fails, could you supply us with another link, thanks
dates for the 2010 Joe Nall are: May 8th - May 15th!
Pilot Pre-registration form

Many web pages referenced on newsgroups do not allow some browsers to access without going via relative homepage
- simply drop of the end of provided URL = http://www.joenall.com/2010pilotinformation.html. and enter via homepage as above.

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 03-26-2010, 12:01 AM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

I recieved mine from Toms Rc in Ca. Yesterday and I will be replacing my JR 9303 2.4 with this one if everything tests out OK. I still have one on back order from tower and will keep it on order, Our club is going to raffle it off when it comes in.

I am very excited to get this reciever into one of my planes and test it out before i go to Joe Nall this year. Is ther anything i should do when flying at Joe Nall with this system?
Yea... wring it out like Brandon did last year shown here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDG1kgNtvO8[/youtube]
Old 03-26-2010, 05:35 AM
Highflight

ORIGINAL: GizmoMadMax

So are you saying it works OK if you turn the Tx on first?
Or is this issue a problem for ALL folks with analog servo's, yiks????
So help me understand, does this mean if we have the A9, the trims for analog servo's may never really stay where you setup you plane and will change each time you go out to fly becuase the crazy thing causes analog servo's to move around randomly? scary?

Does our Hitec tech support have some tech feed back here for us?
Thank you!

Mike,

I found an issue with the Optima 9 receivers.

This may not be an issue if you use ONLY digital servos. I currently have analog servos on throttle, choke, retract valve, and bomb drop on my scale warbirds. Having a combination of Optima 9 and analog servo on my retract valve is a major issue for me. EVERY TIME I SWITCH ON THE RX, ALL ANALOG SERVOS MOVE CW ABOUT 10 DEGREE. I currently have HS-225MG servo on my retract valve and Futaba S9001 coreless on choke and throttle. Every time I switch on the the Rx before the Tx, these analog servo move CW about 10 degree and stay there. If I turn on the Tx first, then turn the Rx, all analog servo move CW about 10 degree and move back to neutral positions. When the retract servo moves, it colapses my landing gears. Even with the Tx turned on first, the servo's forth and back movements also cause the landing gears to colapse. With a 35lbs warbird, there is no way the temporary valve movement cannot react fast enough to lock the gears to hold the bird.

I have rebound the Rx and Tx many times. I even waited 30 seconds for it to rebind before shutting off the Rx. I have 4 Optima 9 receivers. They all do the same. If you leave the Tx off and turn on and off the Rx enough times, the servo arm will move until it hit the hard stop limit. And it will continue to twitch at the limit when turn the Rx on/off. Please help.

The HS-225MG is a mini servo. I cannot fit a standard digital servo into the same spot without some difficult mods.
I'd like to get an answer from Mike or any Hitec rep on this as well.
As a sport/giant flyer, virtually all my servos are analog. They've worked fine for me since the beginning and I see no reason to spend the big bucks to change any out.
So this is a question I'd like to see addressed.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:43 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I think the analogs move if the TRANSMITTER is not transmitting RF....my experience with the A9 to this point is that it is TX "on" first, THEN Rx....and reverse at end of flight.
Isn't that in the instructions?
Old 03-26-2010, 06:51 AM
JIMF14D

I have one plane set up with A9 so far while I wait for more Rx. It has HS-81 analog servos. I turn TX on first and then RX. Shut down is RX off first and then TX. Same procedure as always wiht 72MHZ.  Unless I have pushed a surface off neutral when the power was off, there is no surface motion when the RX is powered up.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Highflight

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

I have one plane set up with A9 so far while I wait for more Rx. It has HS-81 analog servos. I turn TX on first and then RX. Shut down is RX off first and then TX. Same procedure as always wiht 72MHZ. Unless I have pushed a surface off neutral when the power was off, there is no surface motion when the RX is powered up.
That's always been my procedure with 72mhz as well, but I'm certain that I've seen more than one reference where it's been said that you start up and shut down 2.4ghz systems just the opposite; RX on first and RX off last.
I never did understand why that would be the case with 2.4ghz, but it was on the internet so it has to be true, right? .... well, evidently not.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:37 AM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

I recieved mine from Toms Rc in Ca. Yesterday and I will be replacing my JR 9303 2.4 with this one if everything tests out OK. I still have one on back order from tower and will keep it on order, Our clubis going to raffle it off when it comes in.

Yea... wring it out like Brandon did last year shown here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDG1kgNtvO8[/youtube]
I have not read all the way through the manual yet but my question was about the Normal vs the scan mode- which should i use at the event? Sorry for not being more clear before!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Brendan Lugo

Same start up procedure as 72 guys. If you fail to follow that procedure of Tx on first and off last you run the risk of driving the servos over to the locks and damaging them since there is power to the Rx but no signal from a Tx to tell the servos where to stay.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

ORIGINAL: Brendan Lugo

Same start up procedure as 72 guys. If you fail to follow that procedure of Tx on first and off last you run the risk of driving the servos over to the locks and damaging them since there is power to the Rx but no signal from a Tx to tell the servos where to stay.
Thanks, Brendan! That's what I have been doing, and never had any issue at all. Always good to get "the Word".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.