Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Spektrum DX3S RPM telemetry radio install

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:54 PM
CX_ONE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX3S RPM telemetry radio install

Just some photos of my Spektrum DX3S telemetry RPM radio install, i am going to use some of that JB weld glue to reinforce the bracket at the bend-line. I am also going to silicone the circuit board of the sensor to give it more protection. I will post pics of the finished install and testing once it is all back together. I have completely rebuilt the chassie, motor and shocks with all new seals and bearings as required. i am very impressed with the amount of compression that is back in the motor.

EDIT.... OMG, I feel like a bone head, I went to install the engine with its new rpm sensor and it did not fit. lol I have had the truck and engine completely apart since fall, I didn't realize that the engine is so close to the sides. It looks like it is back to the drawing board for me I will post some pics of the install when I figure out a better location.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ig13006.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	4.27 MB
ID:	1399756   Click image for larger version

Name:	ie98365.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	3.81 MB
ID:	1399757  
Old 03-23-2010, 06:09 PM
lightning73

Default RE: Spektrum DX3S RPM telemetry radio install

hey cx_one...i have the dx3s setup too, and it should have come with 3 different mounting brackets for the speedo sensor, if your havin issues try using one of the other mounts, i had issues getting mine just rite!...i also hooked mine up while the motor was in the truck to be sure i was using the right mount...wasnt easyits a tight space...but it worked out...cant tell you how cool it is to see a speedometer on my transmitter its awesome!!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:56 AM
nordstuff
My Feedback: (2)

Iam running it as well and love it.I used the same bracket as you but flipeed aover and used it on the other side of the mill.I had to do some dremeling but it worked great.It took me forever to figure out the best way.I also had to order some servo wire extensions off of ebay so that the wiring would reach the rx.I'll throw up a pic when I get a moment.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:03 PM
lightning73

lmao.....nordstuff....sounds like you went thru exact same process as me.... the dx3s wasnt exactly made for the savage, so i had to order the wire extension too!!...thats funny seems like we had to deal with the same problems with set up!!...but after all is said and done these systems are well worth the efforts....they offer a world of information on exactly how your truck is performing... temp, speed, trim, throttle punch, and many other options right from the l.c.d. screen....this system is the s#@*!!.....extremely fun to use!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:32 PM
nordstuff
My Feedback: (2)

LOL,true story man.Its well worth it indeed.Loven it.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:45 PM
lightning73

ok so anyone who has the dx3s system knows that it comes with a port fora battery charger, but does not come with the recharger itself, it has to be bought seperately....well i did that, and in fact i bought the exact type of charger recommended by the manual...however the charger is a piece of crap, i mean it doesnt even have an led light on it to let you know its actually charging...anyway i plug the terd in to try and charge my transmitter for the first time, with a set of rechargeable batteries that have never even taken a charge they were new! and nothing batteries still dead after hours and hours of charging!...granted they sat around for a year because i didnt have a need for them till now...has anyone else hadthe sameproblem trying to charge their batteries?...could new unused rechargeablebatteries go bad just from sitting for long periods of time?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:52 AM
crop

Lighting, I had some problem too, and I checked instruction, it said (can't remember which page) that poles of its charging jack is reverse to normal charger, I think you probably got a "Normal charger", so you are actually charging the batteries in reverse! I didn't bother modify the charger, but took battery out and charge them in a 4 cell battery box with my HPI charger.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:49 AM
lightning73

no...the charger i got was not a "normal charger"....like i said it was in fact the exact charger recommended by spektrum in the users manual, same part number and all, i checked to be sure when i realized the batteries werent charging....i know i could charge the batteries in other ways, but after spending twenty bucks on this useless piece of crap, i figured i would at least ask around to see if someone else had the same problem, before i throw a twenty dollar bill into the trash can!...bottom line the dx3s system is great!... wouldntsmack talk onit for a second!...however just want peoplewho read thisto know not to waste the money on the charger for it...its worthless!!!!