Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

HAND LAUNCHING JETS

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:38 PM
N215PB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HAND LAUNCHING JETS

Bought several of the NITRO EDF jets, Exceed F-4E, 70MM F-16, F-18, Banana Blitz F-86 Sabre. Been handlaunching since i only have grass fields to fly from. Have had 75% crash rate on hand launching, both F-4 and F-86 have crashed more times then not, any other method to this.............hand launched F-4 today and lost it 4 times, broke wing off...............F-18 did OK....F-86 is iffy..............batteries are up to peak......just a hairy event..........any options???
Old 03-25-2010, 04:17 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HAND LAUNCHING JETS

I bought an A-10 that I upgraded to brushless and removed the landing gear. I am unable to hand launch it and have to have someone else toss it for me. 100% success doing it this way. I got one flight out of 3 using launching it myself. Do you have a partner that could help you?
If not, make sure you are launching into the wind or if you have a slight rise or hill to toss it from. My problem is getting my hands on the sticks in time to catch the plane as its heading for the ground. Maybe some trim in the elevator (slight, just enough to keep it heading at least parallell with the ground) that as soon as you gain control you can get the jet up in the air and then retrim the elevator for smooth flight.
You may also need to check you CG and see if you are not slightly nose heavy. When you launch does the plane head straight for the ground or does it try to roll?

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:41 PM
inedesca

I learned the hard way but finally came to the best procedure:

Hold the model from above and a little ahead of the c.g. so it hangs pointing up.

Hold it on to your side

Flex your knees and rest the tail in the ground

Now toss it upwards at about 30 to 45 degrees and at the time you extend your knees

This gives it enough speed and altitude so you can hold the control and give it down elevator to recover.

And there you are.

But please rehearse many times so it leaves your hand clear. Avoid particularly touching the wing with your body, so separate it as far as possible.

I never had a mishap so far.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:22 PM
N215PB

I hand launched my F-86 fine tonight, tried the F4 off the road.........crashed several times after liftoff...........got pissed off and threw it into the air as hard as i could and it flew.................did this twice...................it dove in after flying for 2 minutes from high speed flight..................who knows........tried my F-16....70mm.........took off from grass...flew real nice..........engine kept cutting out..........lost it on return for landing..............2nd flight. Been doing this for 25 years.........i realize that these things China junk.........some work well and some don't......F-16 ESC must have failed......the F-4............well.........who knows. I'll say one thing..............it took a hell of a beating. I think maybe we/I expect to much from a $150 foamy from China, now we'll see if NITRO stands behind and replaces the ESC for me.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:04 AM
jesses151
My Feedback: (1)

Here's my two cents, I've only been flying EDFs for a couple years. However, I've watched endless reviews on Nitroplane, Banana, RC Powers, etc. From what I've seen on both the F86 and F4 these look to be ground take off only. Try searching youtube for the F86 and F4reviews from rc powers. In watching these two reviews it seems like both of these planes need a lot of  runway/speed to get up in the air,that's if you rec'd a good plane ( I realize that the quality from plane to plane is in question with some of these manufacturers). I've also found that you cannot be cavalier about launching any EDF planes. Even in a little wind I still launch with full throttle at about a 30°-45° angle. On the other hand there'  always the slingshot method. This would allow you to keep both hands on the sticks and use your foot to release the plane.
-Jesse
Old 03-26-2010, 08:44 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Grass take offs...........EAT LOTS OF CURRENT...........runs the battery down FAST..............also heats the daylight out of the ESC. Can cause overheat shutdown at anytime after takeoff...........Can be some of your problems.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:30 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with inedesca a launch from your side (like bowling) gives more controllable results than an overhand throw (like a baseball).

Here's a video which shows what can often go wrong with the overhand launch:

http://www.tufflight.com/tiger_crash2.wmv

Old 03-26-2010, 06:22 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

you can put a bungee hook on just about anything. way better than hand launched.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:31 PM
cyclops2

Bungee hooks & launchers are the best. ................IF.....................

You can work with someone who knows where & how much you will need to reenforce the hook area to take accidental overly strong launches.
The wings & tails sometimes do not launch with the front of the plane.

IT IS ALWAYS THE SAFEST WAY........For you............. Not many people realize that fact when they fly alone or have inexperenced helpers.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:36 PM
N215PB

does anyone sell these launchers?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:43 PM
b16a2sir
My Feedback: (3)

I have had success with overhand one a phase 3 ef-16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvtyAaaRx8U
Old 03-27-2010, 01:09 AM
raido56
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: N215PB

does anyone sell these launchers?

Here you go. Just ordered the large one last night.

http://shop.rc-electric-jets.com/Jet...uncher_c17.htm

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
Old 03-27-2010, 07:38 AM
cyclops2

I would ask the same question about WHICH launchers are known to be good for YOUR sized planes In the Glider & sailplanes forums.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:06 PM
stoneenforcer

gotta learn sometime.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:00 PM
N215PB

THANKS, I just ordered mine, that baby really launches!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:34 AM
krproton

Guys, I’m relatively new to small EDF jets. But I learned a lot when developing the Great Planes Evader sport jet we just came out with. We had successful hand-launches, but it’s also not uncommon to get a “bad†launch even with experienced pilots doing the launching. They can toss it sideways, in a roll, too hard, too slow, nose high, nose low. The harder you try to throw something as unwieldy as a model jet (with no really good hand hold) the more likely you are to lose control. Therefore, we came up with the bungee launch. The bungee is “brainless†and gives you a perfect, “drama-free†launch every time. For the Evader, we use about 15’ of surgical tubing and about 20’ of line—when laid out at the field it doesn’t take up much space at all. The tubing and line are connected by a ring, with another ring on both ends. Steak the tubing end into the ground and hook the other ring on the end of the line to your hook on the plane. The hook location is important. We experimented and found the best location (for the Evader, your model may be different) was about 1-1/2†ahead of the C.G. This gives the necessary balance between lift (so the elevator can override the pull of the bungee and it doesn’t just draw the model toward the steak in the ground) and stability (so the nose doesn’t get too high causing the plane to veer off to one side or stall). You’ll have to experiment with the amount of pull. For the Evader it just takes about fifteen paces. It also helps to give the model a good push—don’t just let go. For testing, we just used a DynaFlite Up-Start (for 2M gliders). It has the smaller (5/16â€) tubing.

We got some bungee launches recorded when we were filming the video a few weeks ago and this should appear this week.

I sincerely hope this helps.

Tim
Old 03-29-2010, 11:33 PM
focusproduct

Tim I would surely like to see the videos of the Evader flying and being launched. I'm extremely interested in seeing this plane perform and am eagerly waiting to hear/see how the pilots respond to it!

jon r.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:01 AM
stoneenforcer

The Evader is an attractive LITTLE edf. Too bad it has cheater holes and cost is high, otherwise I'd pick one up.
Sporty looking though.....
Old 04-03-2010, 08:56 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

go with a bungee launcher. i made my own from 3/4 pvc pipe and fittings. i wasn't that hard. you have to get the elastic tubing from home depot. comes in ten foot lengths. i made my launch pipes 55" long, and it has to fastened to the ground with 100 penney nails, or spikes. 24" rise from front to rear. i made a gear setup so i can step on a switch and it turns the rod which is notched with a flat spot to hold the bungee tubing.....then a nylon 1/8 cord goes from the tubing to the planes hook. it releaces the bungee when i step on the motor pedal that turns the release shaft. the bungee must be stretched twice it's length to have enough power to wisk it into the air. then get on the throttle within a second and it works. the motor is powered by my 12 volt start battery. only to turn the notched shaft 1/4 turn to release. i used to hand launch too, but with a bungee there is little if any chance you will crash if done right.. i'm pretty innovative so i looked at picks and thought up my own ideas about how to automatically have a foot switch and both hands on the transmitter. you can't have the pull always on the plane hook or it won't work it will rip it out. there has to be a slack line in between so the jet can set on the rails without any constant pull on it. you can try pulling the plane back , like a rubber band launch ,but it takes alot of pull and also to hold it there. otherwise the plane won't go very far and will crash or break after hitting the ground. i'm talking funjets here which are foam. seven launches so far without a mishap. take the time or money and buy one or build one. you won't be sorry. one funjet busted apart costs the same as buying a launcher. i built mine in two nites for 40.00. i'll have pics tomorrow if you want them. happy launching...RON [ forget that df pick. it's something for sale.] here's some pics. notice the flat spot on the steel shaft. also the notch in the dowel rod that hooks over it. there is stress on the lastic tubing only. then there is a white cord connected to the funjet. the motor turns the shaft over when i hit the switch which is foot operated. it only has to turn 1/4 to let it go. hit the pedal and let go, or it will keep spinning, which won't hurt anything........but. full up elevator or[ elevon] in this case and some right [elevon] on takeoff then full throttle when she leaves the launcher. it goes straight as an arrow about 6 ft off the ground. it's pretty to watch, and i have more fun launching than flying it at 100 mph. my next will have the ducted fan mounted to it. the one in the pic. who knows whats next...................RON
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18948.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1411221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47795.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1411222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90466.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	1411223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98837.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	1411224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85584.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1411225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wi59570.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1411226  
Old 04-03-2010, 10:41 PM
krproton

ORIGINAL: focusproduct

Tim I would surely like to see the videos of the Evader flying and being launched. I'm extremely interested in seeing this plane perform and am eagerly waiting to hear/see how the pilots respond to it!

jon r.
Hi Jon.

The video should be up any day now...next week I guess. I got the opportunity to view it at work and there is only a few seconds of flying of just one or two passes. We flew it several times for video, but it's just so dang difficult to capture that thing on film. There's a bungee launch too.

Tim
Old 04-04-2010, 09:06 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Tim, You did a great developing the Evader ..... I saw it fly at Florida jets ..... and was so impressed, I pre-ordered it as soon as GP/Tower started taking orders.

Stoneenforcer, don't let the cheater hole scare you away, I saw it fly twice and did not even notice the cheater hole (I only found out had a cheater hole when I physically picked it up to get a closer look).

As far as handlaunching, generally, it is the marginally-powered EDF's that are difficult. The ones that have plenty (or even excess) power, are usually not a problem.

Bob
Old 04-04-2010, 09:28 PM
krproton

ORIGINAL: BalsaBob

Tim, You did a great developing the Evader ..... I saw it fly at Florida jets ..... and was so impressed, I pre-ordered it as soon as GP/Tower started taking orders.

Stoneenforcer, don't let the cheater hole scare you away, I saw it fly twice and did not even notice the cheater hole (I only found out had a cheater hole when I physically picked it up to get a closer look).

As far as handlaunching, generally, it is the marginally-powered EDF's that are difficult. The ones that have plenty (or even excess) power, are usually not a problem.

Bob
Hey Bob,

thanks for the kind words! EDFs are new to me and I had a lot of fun working on the Evader! I had no idea it would be so fast. For the first flight I had about 40% expo programmed into the controls, but found my self waaay behind the dang thing so when I dialed out the expo it was much better.

We've taken quite a beating over the cheater hole on the Evader thread on one of the other sites - not guys just stating opinions, but unnecessary (or at least unfriendly) criticism. It kinda hurts a little actually - I am a person after all! [&o]

I too was disappointed with the cheater hole in the Evader - until I flew it that is! Hey, it is what it is - a relatively inexpensive, 100+mph EDF sport jet with a fiberglass fuselage. You can take it or leave it.

For launching, I much prefer the bungee - it's consistent and drama-free. But down at Florida Jets where Frank Noll flew it he had guys doing the under-hand hand-launch with no problem.

Tim
Old 04-05-2010, 09:34 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

My guess is that if you designed it without the cheater hole it would still fly good .... but maybe at 25-35 MPH slower. Well, there are dozens of EDF's out there in that speed range ...... I'll take the cheater hole any day and fly FAST ! I was also amazed at the vertical performance. Can't wait for mine to arrive. Bob