Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Hooray! Finally a shielded spur for EPXs!

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Hooray! Finally a shielded spur for EPXs!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Squidbait

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooray! Finally a shielded spur for EPXs!

I just checked out the latest Volcano/Vortex EPX and EPX Pros at the LHS, and they all have a shield around the motor pinion and spur gear! Great mod! I want to add it to my old Vortex EPX Pro - what are the part numbers, and are they backwardly-compatible? They don't show up in the online parts search (not that I know what to call them) or in the schematics.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:55 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hooray! Finally a shielded spur for EPXs!

Yes Squidbait, it is covered....sort of. I still got small rocks in there somehow... They lay in there waiting for a jump and then get thrown ito the gears. I drilled a small hole in the chassis right under the gears and that has seemd to work great. Contact Kurt at urchobby.com He will be able to help you..
Old 03-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Mickstix

Yea, after discussing this a while back, I think unless you can fully seal off the chassis and body (from getting "any" debris in there) a cover under the transmission spur is a bad idea.. (If that's the area Squid is talkin about?)  Like Billy said, small rocks and stuff just sit in there waiting for an opportunity to get tossed into the gear mesh, and ruin stuff..
Old 03-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Squidbait

Ok... Duh... I think. I've found part 03401 Spur Gear cover for Tornado EPX/EPX Pro.

Is this what I'm looking for?
Old 03-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Mickstix

I "think" this is the part. But its from a foreign site, so I couldnt understand the writing.. But if this is it, it should fine.. I dont see it causing any issues with trapped debris..

Old 03-27-2010, 09:56 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mick, thats the parts that you need... There is a small spot for stuff to get in believe me. I had that problem on my Vortex... once I made a small hole under the spur I have not had a problem yet.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Mickstix

Yea, I personally wouldnt put it on my car, but Squid was asking about it so I figured I'd post the pic.. Hopefully he'll see the tip to open a small hole under it, to let out debris..
Old 03-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Mudguppy

I picked up a Vortex Pro about a month ago and was pleased to see the shield,but if you look just below the center driveshaft there is a open slot about 1/8"x 1/4" on the chassis that passes under the aluminium motor mount that will allow dirt/pebbles,I just cut a small 1/2" x 1/4" piece of foam and forced it into this slot,have not had a problem with any dirt getting into the gear area..
Old 03-28-2010, 06:47 AM
Squidbait

Stuffing something in the gap makes more sense to me than cutting another hole... another hole may let debris out, but isn't it also a route for stuff to get in?
Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Mickstix

Yea, if you can get the chassis and body sealed up where nothing can get it, your good to go! Just seems like little pebbles and debris always find a way in?