Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

what motor do you recomend

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

what motor do you recomend

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:08 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: what motor do you recomend

Would a 4-stroke engine be acceptable for a first-time trainer/pilot? I have experienced and hear a lot of people good things about 4-strokes. And now you can buy some at reasonably good prices.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:13 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

bigedmustafa, I have been curious about Enya's for a while.
I'd better give you fair warning, hsukaria, that Enya engines can become addicting!

I bought my first one last year because I was curious about them. I picked up a new 45CX off of E-Bay, and put it on my GP Rapture 40 kit. To say I liked it would be an understatement! I now own an 09-IV, the 45CX, two SS40BB G7s, and a new .60 4-stroke.

They're powerful, user friendly, reliable, and miserly on fuel. The only draw back to using Enya engines that I've found is that they tend to be REALLY LOUD, but in kind of a good way.

Would a 4-stroke engine be acceptable for a first-time trainer/pilot? I have experienced and hear a lot of people good things about 4-strokes. And now you can buy some at reasonably good prices.
The Magnum XL .52 RFS 4-stroke is on sale (today may be the last day) at Hobby People for $79.99. It's as user friendly and easy to tune as any 2-stroke I've run, and it would be a great match for most 40-size trainers.

With the carburetor being on the back of the engine instead of the front, you may have to modify the throttle linkage a bit to get a 4-stroke to work. Also, do not use an all-plastic spinner with a 4-stroke as they can be broken apart and thrown by a 4-stroke's powerful torque. Use an aluminum-backed plastic spinner or a safety nut instead.

Other than that, if you have some help setting up and tuning your 4-stroke from another pilot or club member, you should be fine.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:35 AM
hsukaria

I have already bought a Magnum 52 4-stroke on sale from Hobby People. I plan on putting it in my Sig Rascal 40 to improve the nostalgic effect. But you are right, the throttle linkage is an extra work for the 4-stroke in the Rascal. But surprisingly, the weight of the Magnum 52 4-stroke is the same as my old 2-stroke 40.

That Enya 4-stroke diesel is making me drool!!

As far as spinners, I have only been using aluminum spinners on all my planes, including 2-stroks. For safety and looks.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:11 AM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can afford the 4 stroker get one. They swing a larger prop at a lower rpm and generate more bottom end tourqe. This translates to more thrust, not speed. I had a 46ax on my kadet mk2 and on 15% nitro it was a bullet in level flight. Fast planes can be intimidating to a beginer who hasn't master the left stick. Do you notice your self flying wide open lots? The 4 stroker won't pull it like a rocket but will give more static thrust. Something in the 50 rage like a saito fa56 will be fine for the plane yer using. Plus they consume less fuel than a 2 cycle. It will be very comfy to a newbie with power to spare to "get out of trouble" I think my buddy was turning a 12-5 mas on his fa56 (15%) on a 6 lbs midstar and it was surprisinly very perky.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:23 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
No!
Best newbie engine is a plain bearing engine like the OS LA.46 or TT.42!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:16 AM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But surprisingly, the weight of the Magnum 52 4-stroke is the same as my old 2-stroke 40.

I bought a Saito 82 (4 stroker) for my somthin extra, it is lighter than my 46ax. With literally twice the power. I spin a 14-6 mas on 15% and a apc 14-4w on 30%. As far as user friendly, 3 years ago once I burned in the engine I tuned the low and high needles with the pump. In the first 2 years I put 1000+ flights on her and I bet that I only touched the high needle 3 or 4 times. This year in February I took the plane to Grinod for their fun fly. After a year of sitting I made some minor adjustments to the high needle and she was performing great again. ( I love this plane, I can make her go back up in a flat spin!)

There are not many 2 cycles that I prefer now. I really like the 4 strokers. However, I'm running a 120ax in my goldberg ultimate. Turning a 15-8 on 15% and she is WILD, 100+ mph and vertical like there is no tomorrow! The 120ax is a perfect match to the ultimate. Honestly I could use more because I'm a power junkie but I have no complaints. The OS 120ax is another engine that has needed little to nothing for needle adjustments. The 46ax was like this too. All of my Saitos are like this.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:40 PM
tony0707

HI I HAD 3 AVISTARS IN MY EARLY DAYSENGINE POWER HELPS THE PLANE FLY AND ADDS CONTROLTHE BEST ENGINE FOR A 40 SIZE PLANE IS A 50 ISH SIZE BALL BEARING ENGINE STAY AWAY FROM THE LOW POWER LA TYPE ( DO NOT GO TO A 61- WILL BE TO MUCH NOSE WEIGHT AND KILLS THE WING LOADING ) YOU CAN ALWAYS THROTTLE BACK-POWER ADDS STABILITYAND GETS YOU OUT OF TROUBLE THE MAGNUM 52 OS 55AX OR THE SUPER TIGER 51 ARE VERY GOOD CHOICESDO GET HELP SETTING UP ANY GLO ENGINE IF YOU ARE NEW TO HANDLING THEMTHERE IS A LEARNING CURVE ASSOCIATED WITH HANDLING A GLO ENGINE CORRECTLY OR YOU COULD DAMAGE THE ENGINE AND SEVERLY REDUCE ITS LONGEVITY- THE OS WILL BE THE MOST USER FRIENDLY TO A GLO ENGINE BEGINNER AND MORE DOLLARSBUT CONCIDER YOU ARE PROTECTING YOUR INVESTMENT IN ALL YOUR EQUIPMENT AS YOU NEED AN ENGINE TO PERFORM WELL WITH YOU HAVING THE LEAST AMOUNT OF GLO ENGINE EXPERIENCE -YOU NEED A RELIBLE GLO ENGINE TO KEEP YOU IN THE AIR ENJOY REGARDS TONY
Old 03-31-2010, 05:35 PM
Wingspam

If you are considering a 46 of any brand just stop... If you are looking for more power for now and more later on then just get the OS 55AX. It has the exact same bolt pattern as the 46 size motors.
I use the Avistar with a 55ax turning a 12x8 prop, to do training at my club. Fly it slow or fly it fast its a great motor for this plane.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:42 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

I've been waiting today for my Magnum 46XLS 2 Stroke and gonna use it for the first time. UPS's delivery time is from 9AM to 7PM and it's 5:40PM and they are still not there, it looks like they would stretch the time all the way till 7PM and deliver. I can't wait to mount it on my Escapade.

Welcome to the Addiction.

Mike & RCKen are Mentors here plus many most senior flyers. My best regards to ya'll, I learned a lot from ya'll.

Mody
Old 03-31-2010, 05:43 PM
RVman

The avistar is not a big plane. You will have trouble balancing the aircraft with a typical ball bearing 46. An engine like an OS 35AX or the OS 46LA would be far more suitable for an Avistar than the larger 46's.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:27 PM
Fs one

i would definately go with the O.S ax .Great reliable power plant for that plane.Lot's of power!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:45 PM
albsurfer

ORIGINAL: Wingspam

If you are considering a 46 of any brand just stop... If you are looking for more power for now and more later on then just get the OS 55AX. It has the exact same bolt pattern as the 46 size motors.
I use the Avistar with a 55ax turning a 12x8 prop, to do training at my club. Fly it slow or fly it fast its a great motor for this plane.
I, and about 8 other guys at my field, can't get a 55AX to run for long on a 12x6 or higher prop. 12x6 & higher props just don't provide performance in speed or aerobatics. A couple of guys had engines overheat from running 12x8 props in 70 degree weather. Many suffered from dead-sticks. A 12x5 cuts speed & vertical from it, but will usually run OK. I haven't tried the 12x4 yet for aerobatics.

The most successful props we've run on the 55AX are APC 11x7 & 11x8. I tried a TF 11x7 - it wouldn't idle and would cause a dead-stick in the air if I backed off the throttle quickly. I switched back to the APC, and it idles fine. All engines were tuned correctly, some, including mine, were tuned with the aid of tachs.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 AM
Insanemoondoggie

I have a GMS .47 on my Avistar , the extra power ,helps make the plane much more fun . A GS 40 well fly it very well also but they take some time to break in and can be a little un-user freindly . Going with a larger engine , gives you more room to play with ,if you decide to use the engine on a hotter airframe . For a hassle free engine , the OS .46AX is hard to beat , but they are spendy .
Old 04-08-2010, 07:15 AM
mclina

ORIGINAL: albsurfer

I, and about 8 other guys at my field, can't get a 55AX to run for long on a 12x6 or higher prop. 12x6 & higher props just don't provide performance in speed or aerobatics. A couple of guys had engines overheat from running 12x8 props in 70 degree weather. Many suffered from dead-sticks. A 12x5 cuts speed & vertical from it, but will usually run OK. I haven't tried the 12x4 yet for aerobatics.

The most successful props we've run on the 55AX are APC 11x7 & 11x8. I tried a TF 11x7 - it wouldn't idle and would cause a dead-stick in the air if I backed off the throttle quickly. I switched back to the APC, and it idles fine. All engines were tuned correctly, some, including mine, were tuned with the aid of tachs.
I run 13x4 props on my 55AX and it has always performed great. This is mostly for 3D flying, but I think it would work well on a trainer as well, to keep the speed down and give you plenty of pull when needed.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:15 AM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I'd just like to point out that:

''Motors'' run on electricity

''Engines'' run on liquid fuel

I know it's only semantics, and the words ARE interchangable, but generally those are the perferred usages of the words - at least in this sport they are

mo·tor audio (mtr) KEY

NOUN:

1. Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts motion.
2. A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy,
especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power.

Sounds spot on to me. Otherwise I guess we would have to call General Motors and tell them that they need to change their name. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 04-08-2010, 10:07 AM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: albsurfer

Had the same issues with my OS 55 AX mounted to a 40 size super decathlon. I'm spinning a 12.25 X 3.75 APC and now and it will hover!!!! prior to this had three flights end with sticks I think I was trying a 12X6 APC at the time, which was based on what the 55 AX manual. Great for practice and skill enchancement, but not fun!!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:27 AM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

I would recommend a .46 stroke or a .56-.70 4-stroke. The problem with going with too large of a 2 stroke is that you will spend a lot of your flying at less than 1/2 throttle and you will be having to clean it out frequently to avoid loading up and dead sticking. If you want to have power without the loading up be as much of a factor do a 4-stroke.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:30 AM
carrellh

You've had many opinions so I'll add mine.
The OS 46LA and Thunder Tiger GP42 are perfect engines for a trainer plane.
You say you are a beginner, so, getting something that is reliable and user friendly is a lot more important than having tons of power.

Do not try to buy an engine today for the "next plane." Keep the Avistar intact even after you start looking at a second plane. Buy the powerful engine at that time.

Carrell
Old 04-08-2010, 11:33 AM
DenverJayhawk

I would highly recommend you choose an O.S. product. There is NOTHING more frustrating than dorking around with an engine when all you want to do is get up and fly as quickly as possible.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:26 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

I got my Magnum 46 XLS and it screams, I have not yet completed the break-in process but I know this motor would make the grade. I have installed it on my Escapade, and this Sunday I'm gonna break-in at the flyingn field and fly this baby. I had a great experience of ASP .46 as well, ASP is a great motor as well, and I heard that Magnum makes ASP too. If I'd like a big motor and lower in price, I'd go for ASP .52.

Good luck & happy flying
Old 04-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Stick 40

ORIGINAL: IFlyEm35

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I'd just like to point out that:

''Motors'' run on electricity

''Engines'' run on liquid fuel

I know it's only semantics, and the words ARE interchangable, but generally those are the perferred usages of the words - at least in this sport they are

mo·tor audio (mtr) KEY

NOUN:

1. Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts motion.
2. A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy,
especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power.

Sounds spot on to me. Otherwise I guess we would have to call General Motors and tell them that they need to change their name. [sm=lol.gif]
fuel is not a energy.

what are you going to tell MICRO SOFT????? could be a sp, don't care!

sticks
Old 04-08-2010, 09:22 PM
spidr_01

I really thank everyone for the advise. you guy's have the experiance we beginners need to draw from. I am going to apply for a AMA membership and then apply for a club membership. do any of you know if club trainners charge a fee to teach beginners to fly?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Stick 40

generly there is no charge, you should listen and do you best.

I generaly get a nice meal, after a student solo's and thats enough. I like helping , its nice to see someone enjoy the hobby.

sticks