Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

diff problem i think

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:44 PM
BigDave09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff problem i think

well my rc (tornado bb) wont move i changed the owb in the tranny still wont move changed the shoes in the clutch bell still won't move what could it be all info willl be helpful
Old 04-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Mickstix

Default RE: diff problem i think

With the wheels off the ground, what does it do if you manually spin the spur gear? Do the drive shafts spin with it? If not, check your set screws on the drive cups. Then, alsowith the wheels off the ground, try to spin both rears or both fronts at the same time and see if it spins the main drive shafts.. If a diff is bad it'll be locked up or just wont turn the drive shafts when ya turn both tires at the same time.. But if one diff went out, the other should still giveya 2 wheel drive..Good luck!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:51 AM
BigDave09

That's the thong they spin off ground and when I turn both wheels it turns but only sometimes and I tightened all the cups so I don't think that's it could something in side the case where the main diff gear is have broken cause I don't wanna tear in if I don't have to yah know what I mean
Old 04-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Devils-Reject
My Feedback: (8)

i have had mine, diffs bust out. tranny
and the problem with the wheels not spinning was once the tranny plastic right behind the spur welded to the plastic of the tranny.
then when it would not spin again, the internal gears of the tranny were fried.
take the tranny off and apart.
your going to have to do it any how might as well get it over with
Old 04-01-2010, 07:31 PM
chevyderek72

Go down your drivetrain stating at the motor and see whats spinning and whats not. Where is stops moving is where your problem is.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Mickstix

If it's intermittent problems, your gonna have to tear it all down and see whats goin on.. It's a pain, but lets ya learn about the models ins and outs.. I have to tear my Tornado down tonight some time.. The rear wheels quit pullin this afternoon, so I've got a diff or dogbone problem myself.. Im hopin the ears just sheared off the rear-main dogbone, but it was gettin dark and I couldnt see what was goin on.. Looks like it's that time of year for the drivetrain on these things..
Old 04-02-2010, 03:56 PM
BigDave09

well i'd like to thank u all for ur info and the problem was the iternal gears of the diff was stripped
Old 04-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Mickstix

Bummer, but glad ya got it solved! I wonder if anyone has found a HPI or Traxxas diff (or other brand) that'll fit in the Redcat diff housing??? Although I remember seeing some "upgraded" diffs when looking at parts for some of my redcats, so maybe they sell a heavy duty set for your car?? Iv'e still not pulled mine apart to see what's up.. Rear wheels spin awefully freely though, and dont feel connected to each other at all.. Ruh Roh..
Old 04-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Devils-Reject

i am going to the local hobby shop to see if i can find something that interchanges so ill let yall know
Old 04-03-2010, 12:31 AM
BigDave09

ya that'd be nice they are durable though had mine for a couple yrs and it's the first time they messed up on me it's usually my tranny going bad or pullstart bearing in my sh.18 going out
Old 04-03-2010, 02:26 AM
Mickstix

I just pulled the rear end assembly off my TornadoS30.. Looks like all it was, was a busted dogbone.. Snapped it right where the ball is attached to the shaft.. (Tell me that dont sound painfull! EEK!!)
Old 04-03-2010, 03:32 PM
BigDave09

Painful but what it also says is nad***** tourqe
Old 04-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Mickstix

I think it was actually due to a groove that the dogbone "ear" had worn into the drive cup. Most of them wear on both sides of the cup, (both ears make a groove) but this one only has the groove on one side, and  I "think" it made it easier for the bone to twist, and break?? When I order my new bones Im gonna get some new drive cups too, just incase..

Old 04-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Devils-Reject

same as mine.... only 1 side of my cup is  smashed. but it didnt bus my dog bone at all, although 2 of them have a bend in them from crashes, minor crashes i must say too
my BD  is down, needs both front and rear diffs, and a new tranny now. sux because its finally warm and i been waiting to go to the beach and a bunch of outdoor places around here
Old 04-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Mickstix

BD.. Is that for Back Draft? Did you ever hit the LHS and see if you could match up another make of DIFF to fit the Redcat housing?
Old 04-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Devils-Reject

no not yet i will though soon its a 45 min drive to the closest one to me and with easter  just havent had time yet
Old 04-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Mickstix

I hear that! Oh well.. Happy easter!