Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Spitfire 50 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Kyosho Spitfire 50 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 03:33 PM
paulg71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kyosho Spitfire 50 Build

hi all well finally installed the engine today and is looking really good, she is all but ready n weather permitting will be doing the maiden flight next week!! will put some pics on tomorrow when is all complete, again many thks for a really good building thread has helped loads happy flying all cheers paul.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:50 AM
paulg71

hi all well just got bk from the first flight ,was a lovely day a slight wind maybe 5-10 mp once fueled up i put her on the runway ,i opened thethrottle n she was all in a straightlineand there wasno tendency to tip over n the noseas i ave seen other kits do , pulled throttle bk to half nand all i can say is wow, totally awsome to fly oncetrimmed was flying hands off, the engine i insalled was a sc52four stroke and was flying no problem at half throttle, on the first landing we used the flaps an was ammazed how slow n stable the spitfire was and the landing was so smooth n slow too and agai didnt tip on to its nose !!!!! so i got to say this has got t be the best spitfire kits i have seen and the first one i have had !! and would recommened this to anyone 10 out of 10 to kyosho so do yourself a favour go get one n be ammazed for yourself , willput pics on once i find the lead , happy flying all cheers paul
Old 06-14-2009, 02:25 PM
paulg71

pics as promised cheers paul
Old 06-15-2009, 01:16 PM
paulg71

well trying to put pics on but this frigging site keepscrashing so will keep trying
Old 06-15-2009, 01:23 PM
paulg71

finally got em on here cheers paul
Old 06-15-2009, 02:18 PM
paulg71

here they are
Old 06-15-2009, 02:24 PM
paulg71

here they are
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57279.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1218815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36075.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1218816  
Old 06-24-2009, 09:06 AM
RappyPilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all

Very very nice thread!!!

May I ask a question. Of what quality is the covering? I once assembled a Kyosho Calmato Sport, loved the plane and a friends was so impressed by how it flies bough it off me, was a dumb mistake so I bought another one

Kyosho seems to make awsome planes that are childsplay to put together but the covering of the Calmato was TERRIBLE, started peeling loose everywhere. And after carfully ironing it back averytime ends up coming loose again and ends up being un-ironable [:@]

Due to that I am faitly hesitant to buy another Kyosho plane. But it seems that the new 50 class Warbirds are covered wityh something else?

Marcel
Old 06-24-2009, 12:15 PM
chaddiemac

I find the covering to stick to the surfaces very well. The only knock I have on it is it seems to easily show wear. The spots where the cowl contacts the fuse started to "rub" through the color on the covering after the first couple of cowl fittings. It does not remove the covering all together, but takes it down to just a white film.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:05 PM
rcstinker

Hey everyone,

I just had the firewall come loose on mine. I guess one side was not glued in very well. Not the box that the engine mounts to but the plywood that attaches to the sides. It's hard to get in there on the GP version but you should check it out to make sure its glued well.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Qld Flyer

Has anybody flown this plane with a Saito 82 and 3 bladed prop? I'm keen to find out what would be the best size 3 bladed prop for it.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 10:37 PM
stallwart

I'm planning to use a Master Airscrew 12x8x3 on my 82 powered Spit. MA only offers 12x6 and 12x8 3-blade props in 12" diameters. I'm not sure about Graupner or APC offerings. I have a 12x6x3 on my Kyosho P-40 that works well, but could handle a little extra speed from the 12x8.

I use the 12x8x3 / Saito 82a combo on a Hangar 9 T-34 and really like it.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:36 AM
Qld Flyer

Thanks,

I'll give that a try.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:11 PM
jimbogringo

It is a very nice plane. I have my second by now because I lost the first one when I stalled it and it went into a tailspin which I couldn´t stop. As it was on it´s first flying day and after it survived 4 flights - on the first flight the engine cutted off, 2nd flt left aileron servo quitted, 3d flt right aileron servo quitted, the 4th flt was fine but I didn´t notice that the elevator was trimmed down quite far. I think the recommended CG is a bit to far back, is that possible? I flew it with the CG at 110 mm... Anyway - I just bought a second one because it´s such a beautiful plane and flew it the first time now with the CG at 95 and I think it´s more stable. I use an OS 70FS2 engine which is good for this size. I put it in with the cylinder down as recommended with no problems so far.
I don´t know if the CG was the problem which made the model tailheavy and caused the tailspin which I couldn´t lead out and which didn´t stop. Do you know if the spitfire is supposed to do this if it´s stalled? Here is a video link of a guy which looked quite similar to what I had to face - at the end of the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIRmQ-Dog7E&hl=de
Old 04-01-2010, 08:16 AM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,

Not sure about starting a new thread as this seems a bit old now.
I have just started buildong mine - OK so it took a bit of time to find this bird - but one thing I have found is that the flaps do now want to come down to about the 70 or 80 degrees used for landing. I can get them to a take off position although the real one never used one per se apart from a wedge if my information is correct, so it would not have used alot for take off. Does anyone have any ideas as to increase the throw? I have extended the cut out in each wing where the lever moves and finaly stops.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:30 AM
abufletcher

Maybe there's a reason why Kyosho designed the flaps with the range of movement it has. I wouldn't mess with it. And I'd just put it together as quickly as I could in a stock configuration. It took me 5 days to put together my Black Horse Chipmonk ARF. It looks great.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:54 PM
jeffski

ORIGINAL: ntsmith

Not sure about starting a new thread as this seems a bit old now.
I have just started building mine - OK so it took a bit of time to find this bird - but one thing I have found is that the flaps do now want to come down to about the 70 or 80 degrees used for landing. I can get them to a take off position although the real one never used one per se apart from a wedge if my information is correct, so it would not have used alot for take off. Does anyone have any ideas as to increase the throw? I have extended the cut out in each wing where the lever moves and finaly stops.
Hi nts, you will be unable to increase the flap movement beyond 30' without a lot of work, the mainproblem being the method of hingeing and the beval on the front of the flap. However,they are still effective at slowing the landings down in other words,leve it as is !
I think they are made this way for ease of production and also to maketheir use suitable for those with limitedwarbird/flap experience.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41721.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1409529  
Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 AM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,

Hi,
Pleased to see some responce as I thought this thread may have died.
The real spit had an 85degree full flap deflection which aided, not so much in creating lift, as providing a brake. I have got mine perhaps to about 70 degrees, perhaps slightly more and I will try it gradualy to see if it has the same effect. A spitfire with 30degrees flap on landing looks stupid. Its as bad as not having a pilot in the office. I'll give feedback on this after flying.
The other question is that after seeing such a wide variety of engines used I am wondering what one to use. ASP fourstroke 52 or 61 - both have the same crankcase or a ASP 52S 2 stroke or last but not least a J'en 61 s stroke. All the two strokes could be side mounted and an incowl pits type exaust fitted. The 2strokes are smoother running but don't sound as good as a four stroke. Above all, smooth and easy to operate (its enough with the retracts and flaps) are a prime consideration. The ASP52 is a prime contender but I hate to see those huge silencers hanging out in the breeze. What have others used. can suggest, recommend and give knowlegable comments based on their experiences?
Old 04-02-2010, 08:33 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: ntsmith
The real spit had an 85degree full flap deflection which aided, not so much in creating lift, as providing a brake. I have got mine perhaps to about 70 degrees, perhaps slightly more and I will try it gradualy to see if it has the same effect. A spitfire with 30degrees flap on landing looks stupid.
Maybe, but then the real Spitfire didn't weigh 3.5kilos.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:26 AM
ntsmith

At least I could reduce the flap movement if required but if made to the 30 degress as per the standard set up I would be unable to change it. They are in effect speed brakes rather than lift enhancers. Not sure what they would have used for take off; perhaps only 10 or 20 degrees at the most. I agree the size/weight difference is rather appreciable but the model spits I have seen that have all flown well have the very marked 85degree setting for landings. Tne proof of the pudding may rest in the eating so I may have to say "you were right"
Old 04-03-2010, 07:02 AM
abufletcher

As a total newbie to flap use myself, I'll be very interested in what you have to report. Typical "heavy metal" WWII warbirds are indeed heavy (for models) and really need the flaps. But this Kyosho series (I have the Me109 without flaps) is designed to be very light and therefore easy to fly (and land). As such the flaps are probably not actually needed as they would be on a heavier model.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:20 PM
ntsmith

You are totaly correct about their actual usefulness on a model like the 50 size spit by Kyosho but I am pretty much certain by having the larger throw the angle of approach should be able to be increased on the approach without abuild up of speed. In fact I found an example on Utube demonstrating my point and on this model to so I am not alone.
Even though it is billed as "easy to fly" it is not really a beginners kit by any means and I guess many people have put faults of its flying capability just because it didn't fly like their low wing trainer did. Kyohso have done all they can with the dihedral (increased) tail feathers (Increased substantially) and retracts location (Placed more forward of the CG) and yet still have a plane that looks like a Spitfire in the air. OK the kit is not perfect but for the price its pretty damned good value although I am in favour of a modest price increase and get rid of some of the kits shortcomings. (eg cheap retracts, covering, gluing)
Old 04-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

I really wanted a Kyosho Spitfire, but couldn't find any source for them other than direct from Kyosho. Where did you guys buy yours?
Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 AM
ntsmith

Sure makes a change for us here in the UK to have some thing the americans havn't got.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:20 PM
stallwart

ORIGINAL: Eplane65

I really wanted a Kyosho Spitfire, but couldn't find any source for them other than direct from Kyosho. Where did you guys buy yours?

Try here:

http://www.rocousa.com/kyosho.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.