Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

I cant belive this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

I cant belive this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:36 PM
ryansiki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I cant belive this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dad once explained this to me. Every time there is a cop or conversation officer, or anybody similar, there's gonna be two types of people. The first one is usually the kind who is very nice, and really wants to make this world a better place( this is most the common type). The other is the kid who was bullied and pushed around in school or at home. These types of people like to have jobs that give them power over the public to give themselves the feeling of strength, and revenge for all those bad years. These types of people also abuse the public and lie. True story:Back when the new bicycle helmet law was introduce in BC, my dad almost got ran over and tackled to the ground by some cop. He went to court,where the cop said that he was just "protecting his head from hitting the ground". Well the funny thing is my dad is a very good biker.Biking in PG is extremely popular and my dad used to race with his BMX.Anyhow my dad asked the cop to take a lie detector to prove who was lying. Of course the cop did not want to take the lie detector test.Now this story gets really interesting because a couple of months ago,the cop was charged with assault. SO my point in most of the times youshould obey the law when an officer or anybody with power tells you to,but if they have no proof, well you should still stop running but at least ask for the paper work eventually.Personally I think you got to deal with the "other" type of ranger.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:43 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ryansiki

My dad once explained this to me. Every time there is a cop or conversation officer, or anybody similar, there's gonna be two types of people. The first one is usually the kind who is very nice, and really wants to make this world a better place( this is most the common type). The other is the kid who was bullied and pushed around in school or at home. These types of people like to have jobs that give them power over the public to give themselves the feeling of strength, and revenge for all those bad years. These types of people also abuse the public and lie. True story:Back when the new bicycle helmet law was introduce in BC, my dad almost got ran over and tackled to the ground by some cop. He went to court,where the cop said that he was just ''protecting his head from hitting the ground''. Well the funny thing is my dad is a very good biker.Biking in PG is extremely popular and my dad used to race with his BMX.Anyhow my dad asked the cop to take a lie detector to prove who was lying. Of course the cop did not want to take the lie detector test.Now this story gets really interesting because a couple of months ago,the cop was charged with assault. SO my point in most of the times youshould obey the law when an officer or anybody with power tells you to,but if they have no proof, well you should still stop running but at least ask for the paper work eventually.Personally I think you got to deal with the ''other'' type of ranger.
come where I live were loaded with cops that like to throw their authority around
they probably outnumber the good cops by 4:1
Old 04-01-2010, 11:28 PM
The Hedgehog

Think of all the crap the cops have to put up with in Chicago.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

The one great thing about here in Wyoming is you have so very many places to run a RC boat or a RC car or plane, I Can drive over to the flying field about 6 miles or I go out by the gun range about a mile and fly all the time! It is nice because the way the road is or the big lot there with nothing around I can take off and land any direction! We have a great chief of police and he just stops to BS sometimes! If I go camping I can always find a place to take off and land. It is a pilots dream, But I fly early mornings or evenings to beat the wind!
Old 04-02-2010, 01:34 AM
thef@st1

ORIGINAL: FieroMan121

ORIGINAL: thef@st1

. sounds like florida isnt to rc friendly.
we only have like a ton of roar and ifmar races (snow bird nats for one) and like tons of tracks but yeah very unfriendly

like i said, if yall come to the miami-dade/ palm beaches and want to have a ball we got what you need... tracks tracks and more tracks[

actualy palm beach county wants to make a huge rc center over at south county regional park in boca, like drag, touring, rock crawling, off road, dirt oval etc so if you live anywhere near there id check out the park
i wasnt talking about tracks and i dont think everybody else was ether( im sure someone will say something bout that spelling)so as far as bashing is concerned ya unfriendly sounds about right. of course you can drive on an rc track, im pretty sure thats why they are made.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:25 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Think of all the crap the cops have to put up with in Chicago.
No matter how much crap they deal with doesn't mean they have the right to abuse their authority, which most do...
Old 04-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Usually sheriffs are cool.... On the other hand CHP (california highway patrol) are complete jerks.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:19 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I dont know if this was already said since I only very briefly skimmed over the 1st and 3rd pages.

What I would do in this case is find out what law the officer was talking about. You can find all laws for your state even on-line, possible under your state's secretary site.

I am thinking the law in question deals with private property or company property. the land owner, be it a company or a person, has the right to deny RCs from being run on his land.
There would not be a specific law that directly prohibits RCs, it would be a much broader law that grants the land owners the right to prohibit certain activities on his land.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:06 PM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hairy46

I would run there until she could come up with the law that keeps me from it! Wow the Gov sure is in the face hard anymore!
I try to stay out of these arguments, but having family members in the PD as well as friends as PR's. I can tell you this is VERY BAD ADVICE. Check your local laws, most states a Park Ranger has the full authority of the law, the same as a Police Officer. Is does not matter if it is legal or not, if they asked you to stop and move on, then do it until you get the right permission to do so. Failing to comply with a Police Officers reasonable request can land you in jail !

If you refuse to leave and demand the exact statue number, guess what. You go to jail for refusing to comply and more than likely disturbing the peace.

I think the OP did the right thing, comply and contact the proper authorities for a clarification. Most walking trails in parks have rules/laws against motorized vehicles on trails where horses or people can walk. The Park Ranger was more than likely using that law and making a "in the field" decision that your RC car classified as a motorized vehicle.

"Motorized vehicles are not permitted on trails and pedestrian walkways EXCEPT FOR: maintenance purposes, motorized wheelchairs, and—when State or local regulations permit—snowmobiles and electric bicycles. Electric bicycles are defined for the purposes of this Act as a bicycle or tricycle with a low-powered electric motor weighing less than 100 pounds with a top motor-powered speed not in excess of 20 miles per hour."

(The Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users, P.L.109-59 Available from the Government Printing Office or online at www.dot.gov. Title 23, United States Code. Available from the Government Printing Office or your local library system.)

http://www.house.gov/transportation_...0Book%2006.pdf
Was there a sign that said "NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES?"
Old 04-05-2010, 12:18 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: ryansiki

My dad once explained this to me. Every time there is a cop or conversation officer, or anybody similar, there's gonna be two types of people. The first one is usually the kind who is very nice, and really wants to make this world a better place( this is most the common type). The other is the kid who was bullied and pushed around in school or at home. These types of people like to have jobs that give them power over the public to give themselves the feeling of strength, and revenge for all those bad years. These types of people also abuse the public and lie.
This is accurate, but in many places, the bad apples significantly outnumber the ones with helpful intentions.

It should also be noted that cops typically have average, ordinary knowledge bases, and in a specialized case such as an R/C incident, most officers don't know how to respond accordingly. They end up having to make a judgment call based on intuition, and in many situations, it is the wrong decision. You can't really blame them; when your job involves dealing with as wide a variety of individuals as society offers, it's impossible to understand the specific circumstances of each one.

Holy crap, I just realized that ryansiki lives in the same city as I do.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:38 AM
hairy46

It is a small world!
Old 04-05-2010, 02:22 AM
ryansiki

Yup. I even think i saw  a member from Vanderhoof!
Old 04-05-2010, 02:33 AM
hairy46

Well maybe you have found some new freinds that live close by! I sure have made allot of good freinds on RCU we now keep in touch by phone and will be going to War-bird over the Rockies and some of them I will be meeting for the first time! I know that we sure share the love for these aiplanes! Take care Ryan! Bob
Old 04-05-2010, 06:29 AM
Access

ORIGINAL: magnum
ORIGINAL: hairy46
I would run there until she could come up with the law that keeps me from it! Wow the Gov sure is in the face hard anymore!
I try to stay out of these arguments, but having family members in the PD as well as friends as PR's. I can tell you this is VERY BAD ADVICE. Check your local laws, most states a Park Ranger has the full authority of the law, the same as a Police Officer. Is does not matter if it is legal or not, if they asked you to stop and move on, then do it until you get the right permission to do so. Failing to comply with a Police Officers reasonable request can land you in jail !

If you refuse to leave and demand the exact statue number, guess what. You go to jail for refusing to comply and more than likely disturbing the peace.

I think the OP did the right thing, comply and contact the proper authorities for a clarification. Most walking trails in parks have rules/laws against motorized vehicles on trails where horses or people can walk. The Park Ranger was more than likely using that law and making a ''in the field'' decision that your RC car classified as a motorized vehicle.

''Motorized vehicles are not permitted on trails and pedestrian walkways EXCEPT FOR: maintenance purposes, motorized wheelchairs, and—when State or local regulations permit—snowmobiles and electric bicycles. Electric bicycles are defined for the purposes of this Act as a bicycle or tricycle with a low-powered electric motor weighing less than 100 pounds with a top motor-powered speed not in excess of 20 miles per hour.''

(The Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users, P.L.109-59 Available from the Government Printing Office or online at www.dot.gov. Title 23, United States Code. Available from the Government Printing Office or your local library system.)

http://www.house.gov/transportation_...0Book%2006.pdf
Was there a sign that said ''NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES?''
Under common lexicon, a RC truck is not a vehicle.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/vehicle
"A conveyance; a device for carrying or transporting substances, objects or individuals."
Your typical RC does not carry anything at all. It's basically an entertainment device, it's primary function is amusement.
Other dictionaries have a similar definition. To be called a vehicle, it's function must be to carry _something_ or _someone_. Logically, it must be the primary purpose / function, otherwise I could say a person is a vehicle, since a person can (in many cases) carry another person. But clearly this isn't true.

If the official asks you to stop, then stop, but don't stop just b'cos of a sign that says 'no vehicles'. Those signs are typically to stop (powered) dirt bikes and scooters, off-roaders, and the like. If a cop asks you to do something illegal, you have a right to refuse, but they can use their own judgement to ask you to not do things not covered or explicitly allowed in the law.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:57 PM
magnum

Under common lexicon, a RC truck is not a vehicle.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/vehicle
''A conveyance; a device for carrying or transporting substances, objects or individuals.''
Your typical RC does not carry anything at all. It's basically an entertainment device, it's primary function is amusement.
Other dictionaries have a similar definition. To be called a vehicle, it's function must be to carry _something_ or _someone_. Logically, it must be the primary purpose / function, otherwise I could say a person is a vehicle, since a person can (in many cases) carry another person. But clearly this isn't true.

Remind me not to have you represent me in court if you are going to quote a random website that has no authority

It doesn't matter what a dictionary say's or wikipedia or you or I think. I is what the "legal" definition of a motorized vehicle is. And that definition is generally any vehicle where it's propulsion is provided by an engine (gas) or motor (electric). Doesn't state that it has to be something someone can ride in.

LEGAL NOTICE: I am not a lawyer, not pretending to be one, but I did stay in a Holiday in last year.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:01 PM
atraumanurse

Hi im the original poster. I had wrote the division on why we couldn't use that area and below is the answer I received

I live in florida and there is a trail head down the road from us. We have been using it's huge parking lot to do high spped runs with our slash. For all the time we have been there one time when there was 1 car parked there. So this last Sunday we were running our cars and a ranger comes up to us and says she doesn't know what regulation it is but was against the law to run our cars there because horses might come there. I can't belive that our government has come down to this level. Comments on this or has anyone had this happen to them? Me and my wife are 47 y/o and this just blows us away

I finally got an answer back from the district supervisor and here is the regulation that was quoted

Division 6. Recreation Regulations Sec. 25 1/2-21. Games/activities.
No person shall take part in or abet the playing of any games involving
thrown or other wise propelled objects except in areas set apart for
such forms of recreation

Think of how broadly this regulation can be used. RC, Lawn darts, T-ball, palying catch just to name a few. Laws do not protect us. They only limit frredom. I am disgusted how how broad laws can micro -manage reacreation.

I was also told that rc cars are not permitted on ANY area that is not posted specific for that use. They did give me some direction on how to petition for land use. So onward and upaward
Old 04-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Access

ORIGINAL: magnum
Remind me not to have you represent me in court if you are going to quote a random website that has no authority

It doesn't matter what a dictionary say's or wikipedia or you or I think. I is what the ''legal'' definition of a motorized vehicle is. And that definition is generally any vehicle where it's propulsion is provided by an engine (gas) or motor (electric). Doesn't state that it has to be something someone can ride in.
Semantics do matter. A child may refer to a doll as a person (and in fact a doll is a representation of a person, the same way an rc truck is can be a representation of a real vehicle) but that does not mean that the doll _is_ a person. The child may believe it is, but in real life, the doll is just an object.

To the OP the laws in your area kinda suck. I've honestly driven my rc cars/trucks with a cop standing right there and all the cop did was ask if I'd been drinking and then left when I told him no (the truth). My basic rule is to drive only in areas where people aren't present b'cos of the danger. Irl I know people who have been busted for outlaw ball (and the cop just gave them a talking to and a warning) but never anyone who's been busted for ground RCs. I always stay aware of my surroundings and if it looks like someone else wants to use the area, I'll stop and let them b'cos those public areas are for everyone's enjoyment.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Pinolelst

ORIGINAL: atraumanurse

such forms of recreation
Boy that's a stretch...talk about selective interpretation ....that regulation is clearly there to keep baseball games and the like in their proper areas...ie: no playing baseball in the campground where an innocent bystander might get beaned or otherwise hurt.

Good Luck
steve
Old 04-06-2010, 01:06 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Pinolelst

ORIGINAL: atraumanurse

such forms of recreation
Boy that's a stretch...talk about selective interpretation ....that regulation is clearly there to keep baseball games and the like in their proper areas...ie: no playing baseball in the campground where an innocent bystander might get beaned or otherwise hurt.

Good Luck
steve
Agree never seen where bashing a RC was considered a game
Old 04-06-2010, 09:49 PM
quietnas1

So I got pulled over by a Dade County Officer for having a tail light out. No big deal he was pretty cool. We started talking about the Savage on my front seat and I asked him if there were any laws keeping me from running my truck at the park. He actually took the time to look through his little book with all the laws and statutes and he could not find any thing. He told me he would prefer I run it at a park instead of on the street or something.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:10 PM
moe7404

iam in wichita ks. we have two different parks that has areas set aside for rc trucks on different sides of town. one is an actual race track, that they hold races on. heres the thing if they tell you cant run, then they are obligated to set aside an area to run rc trucks. do they have a place for airplanes? have they set aside an area for skateboards? fishing? running? scale boats? full size boats? kites? they cant open the door for just one. they have to open it for all. i run on an abandoned parking lot, there is NO signs. ALWAYS check for signs if the lot has a sign DONT use it also a school lot on sat or sun morning works good.