Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

**Official Yokomo Touring Car Thread**

Old 11-14-2009, 03:23 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: **Official Yokomo Touring Car Thread**

I'm about to break down my MR4 for cleaning and inspection. I noticed a crack on the rear gear housing. I will take pics and maybe shoot a small vid while breaking it down. I'm having a hard time finding parts for this car, though.

Nice car. Why are you doing a conversion? Bored with on-road?

Old 11-14-2009, 03:59 PM
ElectricGuy007

Nowhere to run on-road, unless im just bashing it. I have several sets of tires to try on the oval.
Yep parts are gonna be hard to find for me also, I'm just gonna have to be careful with it.
If I break the bulkhead or something I'm screwed....[:'(]
Old 11-14-2009, 08:45 PM
rast4man

Yeah I hear ya' and I feel the same way with my MR4. I luckily just fell into a hell of a deal on 3 nitro cars so I have more options now. Check out this thread I just made and good luck on the conversion. Post pics when you're done or as you're going.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9254081/tm.htm
Old 12-10-2009, 01:50 PM
ElectricGuy007

A freind of mine at the track ordered me a Mcallister dirt oval body for my car.
I've seen these bodies in person and they are thicker lexan than you would see on a regular touring car body.
I will be posting picks when I convert my car over to oval. I'm not gonna change much because the car
felt good the last time I was at the track.

This is the old oval layout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxFyCA17DZA

They took out the white pipe and put in some small black pipe, looks 20 times better.
You could swing your car around much easier, kinda like drifting so it is challenging.

I ran my slider for 7 months almost 2 times a week on this layout when I had it.
Shortly after I quit slider they started running silicones. I will make me some silicone tires later on for this car.
You go to autozone and buy the stuff to make them.

Only thing bad is most tracks dont allow silicone tires because it's kinda cheating a little.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:29 PM
ElectricGuy007

Here's the finished dirt oval car.
Tried to get the yokomo logo on the best I could as I made my own stencils long process but I feel I did a good job.
Guys at the track said it looks like a graphitti wall.[:-]

Old 12-13-2009, 07:32 PM
rast4man

Good job man. How's it run?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:18 AM
ElectricGuy007

Have not drove it yet, but I'm betting it will be fast.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:41 PM
ElectricGuy007

My first official race with the yokomo was this past wednesday night. I qualified 4th beating 1 TC4 and 1 TC3.
I got 63 laps in 6mins in the A-main on the oval. Still trying to beat my slider record, I got 76 laps once with the slider.
I'm running the slider brushless system I was using in this car. A.I. Pro 9.5 eraser
This track gets so loose its like driving a drift car, one bleep on the throttle and your in a tornado-like spin,
a different type of driving is needed. Still it's alot of fun and will be attempting this feat on my own, because TC3 body
mounts also fit this car, so this car was out probably when the TC3 was starting to get really popular.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:48 PM
rast4man

Awesome job on the race. I'm glad the car went to good use. I do miss it but I'm stoked you're racing it.

BTW - I *think* I have some airplane motors for you. Shoot me an email to [email protected] and I'll tell you what they are if you're interested.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:18 PM
ElectricGuy007

I bought the car from tamiya club back in 2007 from a guy named SHODOG. He has a vast collection of RC's on tamiya club.

Here's a direct link to the guy I purchased this car from, but he hasnt been on tamiya club since 2007.
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=34

So yea, the car came from california, not florida.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:24 PM
rast4man

Yeah now I realize since you posted in the General about the LHS, you don't live in FL. My bad. I just sold the identical one to a guy here and he loves it. Either way, I want another one for electric racing. I regret getting rid of it but what goes around comes around.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:08 AM
ScottKelly911

what a great thread! I'm in the process of getting my old Yokomo running again! It's a YR4M Pro pre-production car. So since it's a pre-production car, it's got white bulkheads instead of black, but the full graphite chassis and running gear. I'll post pix hopefully over the weekend since I'm going to put in my new gear. Here's a list of what's in it now, and what's going in.

Out with the old:
-Futaba Magnum Jr. AM Transmitter
-Novak Polaris receiver
-LRP ICS electronic speed control
-Team Orion 2000 mah NiCad matched batteries (saddle pack)
-Trinity D2 10-Turn, quad-wind motor

In with the new:
-Airtronics MX3-FG 2.4GHz Transmitter/Receiver set
-Novak GTB & Velociti 3.5R Brushless motor/electric speed control set
-Reedy 5100 mah LiPo battery pack (saddle pack)

Also I picked up a ProPeak Galant charger and some new HPI rims and tires since my old ones are all dry-rotted. Still gonna use my old body. It's a Porsche 911 (993) I think it was from Hot Bodies, and added the Tamiya GT2 rear decklid/wing that I painted like the Arizona state flag to match a race car that was featured on the cover of Excellence magazine. I still have pix of my car next to the magazine somewhere. I'll have to find them and post them up. I can't wait to get all the gear into the car over the weekend so I can take it for it's first spin in probably 10 or more years lol With the advances in electronics, I'm hoping this car is gonna scream!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:01 PM
yokomo1

where are you guys getting your yokomo parts when you need them? i have an older mr-4tc and i really dig it. i heard yokomo usa is gone so everything is to be done from japan and there arent any dealers that sell yokomo even close. there is one shop in arkansas but it was bought out by another guy and he said he very likely wont re up his yokomo dealer status.

being i live out in the middle of nowhere on 2 acers which is a perfect place for a track i have been thinking about getting a 4wd buggy from yokomo but if getting anything parts wise is a problem i'll go over to the associated camp.
if it comes down to it my next choice of car is a TC3or 4 and a B44.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:47 PM
ModMYrdCatShkwv

HEY HEY I JUST GOT A YOKOMO YR-M4 II SUPER COMP 1997 MODEL AND IM DESPERATE TO FIND PARTS ITS BONE STOCK I JUST NEED BODY MOUNTS AND BELTS O AND A SPEED CONTROL ANY INFORMATION ON THE WHERE ABOUTS OF PARTS FOR THIS CAR OR HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY TO ABOUT IT PLEASE LET ME KNOW I WANA KEEP THIS THING FOREVER, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME
Old 04-05-2010, 02:37 AM
ScottKelly911

ORIGINAL: ModMYrdCatShkwv

HEY HEY I JUST GOT A YOKOMO YR-M4 II SUPER COMP 1997 MODEL AND IM DESPERATE TO FIND PARTS ITS BONE STOCK I JUST NEED BODY MOUNTS AND BELTS O AND A SPEED CONTROL ANY INFORMATION ON THE WHERE ABOUTS OF PARTS FOR THIS CAR OR HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY TO ABOUT IT PLEASE LET ME KNOW I WANA KEEP THIS THING FOREVER, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME
The body mounts should be easy to find. Ithink you can probably use almost any universal body mount posts and just cut them down to size. If I remember correctly, thats what I did and still have them on. But I'll take a look at my car when Iget home from work tomorrow. I have no idea where to fina belts for this car though. You can use any modern speed control and motor combo made for 10th scale cars. I recently purchased the Novak GTB speed control along with the Novak Velociti 3.5R motor as a combo from Hobby People. This thing should be a monster with that combo along with the Lipo that I bought for it! Post some pix of it if you can. Good Karma for resurecting an old Yokomo rather than letting it die a sad and lonely death lol BTW here's a pic of mine

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91166.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1412153  
Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 PM
ModMYrdCatShkwv

hey thanks, thats more then i thought id hear . these belts r cashed  though the back one more then the front its all kinda off center sides of the belts r worn bad enough.i should make belts outa rescue tape or rubber bands.. thanks for ur reply this thing should be going in a couple days ill try to get picks up..o and is that the arizona flag on ur car, i live in yuma,az 
Old 04-05-2010, 09:57 PM
ModMYrdCatShkwv

what kinda spur gear and pinion gear can get for my yr m4

Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 AM
ScottKelly911

ORIGINAL: ModMYrdCatShkwv

hey thanks, thats more then i thought id hear . these belts r cashed though the back one more then the front its all kinda off center sides of the belts r worn bad enough.i should make belts outa rescue tape or rubber bands.. thanks for ur reply this thing should be going in a couple days ill try to get picks up..o and is that the arizona flag on ur car, i live in yuma,az
No problem, you're welcome.Hopefully we can get these bad boys back on the road and be able to find parts for them. Iwas thinking about it, and the Tamiya cars use belts that might work for our cars. Kimbrough or Robinson might still make spur gears that will fit also. Yep, that's the AZ flag!I'm a huge Porsche guy, hence the 911 in my screen name. Excellence is a magazine about Porsches and the cover car was a racecar run by an AZ based team. Ithought it was such a great idea and scheme for a race car that I had to emulate it. I also lived in Phoenix for a few years, so it made sense to use that body for my Yokomo back in the day when I used to race it. My first day putting it out on the track, someone immediately recognized that as the Magazine car and gave me tremeandous props for it lol I still have that body on it, but am about to paint a new HPI 911 GT3RS body for it. It'll look like this one that I photochopped to pay homage to the Gulf Racing 917's that won LeMans in the early 70's. Here's the body by HPI http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/17541/

Name:	Db85513.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1412838  
Old 04-06-2010, 03:57 PM
ModMYrdCatShkwv

this thing should be rolling tonight or tomorrow for sure..thanks again its been tough finding anything on this car ,i find less and less every time i search. 0 and i dig old porsches and old vw's ive gotten to work on a 1956 porsche 356 alittle ive taken the motor out a bunch and the tranny i took out like once maybe more i was stoned outa my mind every time,it belongs to this hippy worked for here vw fanatic im vw noob kinda but that car is awesome! dual carb 1600cc stroked and if only it would move :..(  tranny problems.. anyway dig ur paint and that 911.   0 so this yoke was it a good car in its day u think?

Old 04-07-2010, 02:15 AM
ScottKelly911

Very cool. I love old 356's and old Veedubs. Infact quite a few people were known to put modded VW engines into 356's in the 70's because you could get quite a bit of power from them and not have to risk breaking the 356 motors. I have a 1972 Porsche 911 with a 1991 3.6 liter engine with mild mods. just about 300hp in a car that only weighs about 2300 lbs. such a fun car. here's a pic of it. Yokomo YR4M series Sedan cars were pretty much the best 1/10 scale electric cars money could buy back in their day. They were usually the majority of the top 10 in the IFMAR and ROAR Professional and Amatuer championship races. Looking at current cars, they're not all that much different and I think would still be quite competitive with a good driver and modern electronics. The only problem is trying to find parts for them when they break. I've got a bent front right side dogbone. I used to have a spare set of Titanium dogbones that I never put in, but I can't find them. Bodies are easy to find though, you can use any 190 or 200 mm sedan body. Mine is from HPI.

Name:	Sq48049.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1413599  
Old 04-13-2010, 02:08 AM
ModMYrdCatShkwv

im glad i got to even got the chance to work on these these cars,the hippy i meet here restores them..a ''german'' beaner with Hinekin for blood and weed smoke for air..doods cool,we put sum v dubs on the road..busses bugs 0 and i got work on his porsche 915 he sold. im greatful to hvae had that experiance..he's still got that 356 full resto,the motors acouple years newer  $100,000 running o and its a hard top if u want vw's he's got busses bugs one 56' oval window one vert acouple others, a thing, all for sale if u know anybody tell them andy agular yuma,az
by the wayur car sounds wild dooood hah im rockin a 40horse in my 60' baja bug lol its almost enough

ive been haven wayto much fun burnin my yoke up the past few days, i put ABS pipe on my wheels ands its saweet still has the original motor pinion gear worn to hell spurgears toast but its workin fine without the load of the grip,i think even tthis futaba controler mighta come with this car back in the day..thanks again for your help im lucky to have showed up right on time lol thnx
Old 12-16-2010, 06:50 PM
ElectricGuy007

Put a Rally car shell on my YR4MII.
Gonna hit the track with it against TC5'S and TC3'S next month...

Name:	Ez83381.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	1535075  
Old 01-08-2011, 08:18 PM
ElectricGuy007

Successfully Raced the Yokomo YR4MII Pro last weekend.
I have a picture of me holding the car in Second Place....
My freind Tim Hall got first with his Xray...
I usually show sportsmanship at these kinda things..I shook his hand and congradualted him.
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2011, 03:11 PM
ScottKelly911

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007

Successfully Raced the Yokomo YR4MII Pro last weekend.
I have a picture of me holding the car in Second Place....
My freind Tim Hall got first with his Xray...
I usually show sportsmanship at these kinda things..I shook his hand and congradualted him.
That's awesome that these little cars can still hold their own after all these years! Even if you're a Hot Shoe driver, it says a lot that they cans still keep up. What running gear do you have in it, such as batts, ESC and motor?Did you have to upgrade the gears if you're running Lipos and brushless?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:39 AM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: ScottKelly911

What running gear do you have in it, such as batts, ESC and motor? Did you have to upgrade the gears if you're running Lipos and brushless?
Novak XBR 8.5, 5000kv
XBR is no longer made, the Havok esc took it's spot, it's still roughly the same as a Havok system.
Not running lipo> 4000 nimh saddle packs. That touring car is the only one of it's kind that runs saddle packs.
I'm gonna be in a points series with it soon. Starts at Madisonville this friday. 6 week points series, gonna be fun!
Im just gonna run this car until it falls apart I guess. Im tearing the car down today for inspection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.