Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:12 PM
crashcrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Had to laugh at this one... How do you evaluate a radio by looking at it... The only thing that matters is flying it... so hold your opinion for a couple of weeks or months until you have flown the radio for a while.

I fly 2-DX6i's and a JR9303's never a problem with any of them. I did break a DX6i Antenna, you cannot replace it yourself, you must send it in for repair. The e-Flite antenna EFL-1058 will ruin the RF Deck. How do I know that???

ORIGINAL: jauguston

I got my new Hitec Aurora 9 last week and LOVE IT! Haven't flown it yet but the setup with the touch screen is easy and I am a old guy with no previous experience with these new fangled computer radios. Interesting to look at the screen on the transmitter and see the transmitter battery voltage - AND - the receiver battery voltage. That is neat!

Jim
You're absolutely right. I base my judgements of a radio system on USE. I've found Spektrum to fail easily at inoppertune times, the HiTec Eclipse 7 will loose signal momentarily if you're in a "bad" area and is a tad complicated to learn the programming. The 7c has come through for me without any bad traits to date, I've been using it for a year.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:21 AM
babyhuey

Thanks for the replys guys. I have a Futaba 6exh and a 7C both in FM now and they work great but I didn't know about the 2.4 ghz versions. I have heard that the Futaba 2.4 is better than most but don't know from experiance!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:09 AM
victorzamora

The FASST 7C is definitely better than the 72MHz 7C (which is good anyway). It has a couple better functions (at least for planes) and the 2.4GHz link is second to none. You just feel more connected to whatever you're flying.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:27 AM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

The FASST 7C is definitely better than the 72MHz 7C (which is good anyway). It has a couple better functions (at least for planes) and the 2.4GHz link is second to none. You just feel more connected to whatever you're flying.

Where have you been hiding? I haven't seen a post by you in like forever....HBK tuner thread?

Old 03-26-2010, 07:03 PM
midntpumkin

ORIGINAL: babyhuey

Thanks for the replys guys. I have a Futaba 6exh and a 7C both in FM now and they work great but I didn't know about the 2.4 ghz versions. I have heard that the Futaba 2.4 is better than most but don't know from experiance!
its is so easy to set the throttle curves and pitch curves , in the menu i just go into throttle curves and set the percetages and follow the arrow with my stick, on pitch curves i put the pitch gage on and go from 1 to 5 and set it up that way for -11/+11. its so easy a caveman can use it . i always had jr and futaba and always go back to futaba for ease of use .

Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: midntpumkin

its is so easy to set the throttle curves and pitch curves , in the menu i just go into throttle curves and set the percetages and follow the arrow with my stick, on pitch curves i put the pitch gage on and go from 1 to 5 and set it up that way for -11/+11. its so easy a caveman can use it . i always had jr and futaba and always go back to futaba for ease of use .

I'm running the Futaba 7c converted to 2.4 with the Assan hack module. The RX's are cheaper, I've been using it for a year. I had one Assan hack module die, and I replaced it, and it's working good. Should this Assan module die, I'll just buy the Futaba 7c in 2.4 and be done with it. The 7c is way easier to program than Spektrum or Eclipse 7 by HiTec. I haven't had a problem with the 7c at all, just the stuff I put into it. So far, so good on the second hack module.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:50 PM
babyhuey

I considered converting to 2.4 with the Assan unit but I've heard that they aren't reliable. Currently where I fly FM is no problem at all so I'm in no hurry to change.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:05 PM
crashcrash

I considered converting to 2.4 with the Assan unit but I've heard that they aren't reliable. Currently where I fly FM is no problem at all so I'm in no hurry to change.
I bought my first hack unit about a year ago. The first one just quit working after 6 months, and I've never read where they have problems. I put the second one in, it seems to be OK, but I am skeptical of it and fully prepared to buy a new Futaba 7c 2.4 FAAST and a couple of the 6 channel recievers if this Assan does go bad.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:10 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sooner 72mhz is banned, the better. Joe Nall this year has banned them. Right on!!

Another year or two and almost all will agree with me. Get rid of that old radio and get a programmable radio. Dx6i is a great starter radio... the only thing that I have found that it won't do is the landing flaperon, elevator mix when you are splitting ailerons and elevators.

Great 6 channel CCPM heli radio until you can afford better.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:09 AM
babyhuey

I can see them not used at the big events but why would you care what I use in my backyard or at a small flying field? My 7c FM PCM is a lot better than the DX6i.
I couldn't even fly my 50 with a DX6, not enough channels!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:50 AM
crashcrash

I can see them not used at the big events but why would you care what I use in my backyard or at a small flying field? My 7c FM PCM is a lot better than the DX6i.
I couldn't even fly my 50 with a DX6, not enough channels!
I agree...who cares what you use at a small field or in your back yard? I know I don't. Remember in 1991 they banned any radio that wasn't 1991 certified at AMA sanctioned fields? A lot of people with the older Futaba and Kraft radios were highly upset. But you know...there's always SOMEONE who wants to CONTROL people. If your radio works and is safe....USE IT...screw the AMA.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:08 AM
babyhuey

Went to join the AMA yesterday, $58 for a year! Not worth it to me just to fly once or twice at an AMA field. I know that you get a magazine but for me that's about all I'd get.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:41 AM
on_your_six

Well your situation is different than mine, I want to fly larger 55cc planes and I am not out on dad's farm in NE... Space here on the East coast is at a premium. An RC club can teach you to fly at a facility that is properly designed and maintained for the purpose of model aircraft. It provides like minded individuals to get to know as friends and sources of parts when something breaks or you forget something. Just so happens that AMA has the franchise in this area, so $58+ club dues is not much to pay for many hours of entertainment. When I divide it by the hours that I fly, it is about 5 cents an hours. Cheaper than a movie or cheap date. Others might not see the value, but you can try to fly small foamies in the public parks or soccer fields. You will probably get asked to leave at some point.

If it does not work for you, then don't join. Everyone's situation is different.

As to the 72mhz radio situation, I find it intolerable that users have to depend on the DAs around them not to turn on their radios and shoot them down. Losing a $2,000 plane because of a careless action of another would really piss me off. So I say the sooner they are banned, the better off the hobby will be... again everyone's situation is different and if you are flying by yourself away from everyone, you can do your own thing. The right thing to do would have been to have made 72mhz spread spectrum radios... 2.4 is so crowded with other devices. That would have junked a lot of equipment overnight.

Went to join the AMA yesterday, $58 for a year! Not worth it to me just to fly once or twice at an AMA field. I know that you get a magazine but for me that's about all I'd get.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:20 AM
babyhuey

It's not that AMA isn't worth joining, it is if you have a field close enough to take advantage of their insurance and other perks.

Why should they "outlaw" anything? If 2.4 ghz is so good won't everyone use it anyway? And if you don't want to use it and everyone else does, how does that cause anyone else problems? If you are using 2.4 ghz and I'm on FM, how can I "shoot you down'?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 AM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Well your situation is different than mine, I want to fly larger 55cc planes and I am not out on dad's farm in NE... Space here on the East coast is at a premium. An RC club can teach you to fly at a facility that is properly designed and maintained for the purpose of model aircraft. It provides like minded individuals to get to know as friends and sources of parts when something breaks or you forget something. Just so happens that AMA has the franchise in this area, so $58+ club dues is not much to pay for many hours of entertainment. When I divide it by the hours that I fly, it is about 5 cents an hours. Cheaper than a movie or cheap date. Others might not see the value, but you can try to fly small foamies in the public parks or soccer fields. You will probably get asked to leave at some point.

If it does not work for you, then don't join. Everyone's situation is different.

As to the 72mhz radio situation, I find it intolerable that users have to depend on the DAs around them not to turn on their radios and shoot them down. Losing a $2,000 plane because of a careless action of another would really piss me off. So I say the sooner they are banned, the better off the hobby will be... again everyone's situation is different and if you are flying by yourself away from everyone, you can do your own thing. The right thing to do would have been to have made 72mhz spread spectrum radios... 2.4 is so crowded with other devices. That would have junked a lot of equipment overnight.

See...you're absolutely RIGHT, everyones situation is different. When I lived in the Chicago metro area, I did belong to the AMA and I flew at a sanctioned field. That didn't give me the right to tell someone in southern Illinois or Iowa what they could fly their plane with. It was none of my business. I remember the old days, CB'ers would shoot down modlers if they flew too close to an interstate highway cause their radios were AM, so were R/C radios.

Happy Easter ALL!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 03:48 PM
on_your_six

I believe 72mhz was set aside for RC model airplanes. If the hobby is not using the frequency, it will revert back to public use and sold at auction to others. The simple fact that I can shoot down your airplane by turning on a transmitter is reason enough to ban it when better technology is available. It would be nice if we were not transitioning to 2.4 ghz... which can be shot down by a wireless router node among other devices. There are a lot of devices sharing 2.4 ghz band... Potentially giving up 72mhz is a mistake.

So when the technology changes for a better option... I am sorry to see the old stuff go, but go it must. Sorry if you placed your bet on the wrong technology... but that is the way the world works now... Computers, Television, cameras, and video recording devices. Expecting 10 year life out of a $150 item is unreasonable. too bad!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:31 PM
babyhuey

Heck. I even still use an old Futaba AM radio on my foam slow flyer with no problems! I guess they can outlaw anything they want but I'll still be flying my stuff as is until or if I want to go to a sanctioned meet!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:37 PM
crashcrash

Heck. I even still use an old Futaba AM radio on my foam slow flyer with no problems! I guess they can outlaw anything they want but I'll still be flying my stuff as is until or if I want to go to a sanctioned meet!
Yup...that's what I'm talk'in bout.[>:]
Old 04-06-2010, 02:20 PM
sly the dogman

Capable of a very ugly hover (sim this week), got a telebee gyro, on a EXI 450
installed a G401B just to see the difference, when in use it double flashes.
Tried it outside, very hard to control. Direction says : neutral position of tail
rudder is moving, and you have to reajust and set it.
Ok,how do I reajust and set.
I know they're posts here on this gyro, can't seem to find them.
Or maybe just stick with the telebee for now and
get a better one later.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:48 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: sly the dogman

Capable of a very ugly hover (sim this week), got a telebee gyro, on a EXI 450
installed a G401B just to see the difference, when in use it double flashes.
Tried it outside, very hard to control. Direction says : neutral position of tail
rudder is moving, and you have to reajust and set it.
Ok,how do I reajust and set.
I know they're posts here on this gyro, can't seem to find them.
Or maybe just stick with the telebee for now and
get a better one later.

The G401B is a little drifty sometimes, check your zero position that it's proper on the servo, check the gain on the TX settings, make sure the two pots on the G401B are at zero as well. Gain should be between 33% and 65% on a stock bird. I'm using the G401B now, yeah, through the flight I have to trim a little
Old 04-06-2010, 03:56 PM
sly the dogman

0 position on the servo, that's 90 right
Tx gain is 32 (futaba 7c),
Will set both pots at 0.
The tail rotor does not respond like it responds with the telebee.
When I move the left stick, the servo horn just sits there either all left or all right,
like there's no creep to ajust .
Will give it a shot with what you told me to do.
Later and thanks
Old 04-06-2010, 04:19 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: sly the dogman

0 position on the servo, that's 90 right
Tx gain is 32 (futaba 7c),
Will set both pots at 0.
The tail rotor does not respond like it responds with the telebee.
When I move the left stick, the servo horn just sits there either all left or all right,
like there's no creep to ajust .
Will give it a shot with what you told me to do.
Later and thanks

OK...now I know you got a 7c, crank up your D/R on the rudder to 120% (all three positions), put the rudder expo at 65% on all three. What kind of servo are you running? You may have to reposition the servo on the boom...your setup is screwy, you gotta find it. I had a telebee, I MUCH prefer the G401B to the telebee as far as hold goes.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:18 PM
babyhuey

Make sure that you have the heli set up where it will hold the tail neutral in a hover in rate mode by adjusting the mechanical setup and then when you start up the next time make sure that you're in HH first. The light should be solid on start up.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 PM
jauguston

If you are in HH the gyro will expect the tail to move as a result of its actions. If the tail doesn't move it will keep increasing pitch until it is at the limit of travel. Put it in rate mode and see what happens.

Jim
Old 04-06-2010, 09:46 PM
sly the dogman

Ok, let's see if i got this right ;
D/R and expo is on switch D, therefore only 2 positions.
rudder is at 120% on D/R, expo at + or - 65 ? on both positions.
For info ; ail and ele at 100% D/R and - 30 on expo.
I got a 3155 futaba on the tail. So, I set the servo at 90 by hand, with the "slider"
center on the tail shaft. Then initialise gyro on hh mode.
(would someone come back to me for the + or - on expo)
If I missed something please feel free to comment.
Many thanks
later

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.