Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

WHAT MOTOR AND PIPE SHOULD I GET FOR MY REVO????

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

WHAT MOTOR AND PIPE SHOULD I GET FOR MY REVO????

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:53 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT MOTOR AND PIPE SHOULD I GET FOR MY REVO????

I only bash and would like some more torque and speed in my revo 2.5r. I want to stay small block so I don't have to do the conversion. My price range is $200-$250.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WHAT MOTOR AND PIPE SHOULD I GET FOR MY REVO????

why not get the 3.3 and a stock pipe.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:15 AM
t-max97

Yeah I could do the trade in program but Don't the 3.3 have some problems?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Omega4u

the trade program is not worth it. the 18tz is your best bet. as far as pipes go. id go with the ths. the 3.3 is an ok mill but with that setup itll run like a raped ape
Old 04-04-2010, 02:32 PM
absolutemayhem

18tz with either a stock pipe or trinity pipe...here is a vid of my 18tz

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj5LqzDjyZo[/link]
Old 04-04-2010, 09:07 PM
t-max97

Which tz should I get? Whats the difference? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHLV6&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHLV9&P=0
Old 04-05-2010, 01:21 AM
Mr Max Wheelie

dude you can buy a ofna picco .26 red dot for $200.......its a mid block with .7 more horsepower then these os engines,the picco works just fine with the new traxxas resonator pipe
Old 04-05-2010, 07:59 AM
ArloRogers
My Feedback: (1)

I have never used this engine but when the Traxxas drivers run in the unlimited class they use the OS 18tz mill.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Mr Max Wheelie

ive been hearing a lot about these os 18z's but ive never used one myself........i find it hard to believe that its better then the picco though,the picco specs out higher in everything......id love to race one head to head and settle this once and for all
Old 04-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Mr Max Wheelie

well ive been searching around on youtube and other forums and i gotta tell ya,the os 18tz really doesnt in my eyes stand out to be a very impressing engine......i found one youtube vid that that showed a 18tz modded only running 48-51mph.......my picco stock hits 58mph not to mention the amazing torque that it produces!! im trying to be bias here as i would like to hear a true answer as to which engine is better???  i have found absolutely nothing on the net that tells me the os 18tz is even comparable to the .26 picco...........i think the os would be a great upgrade from a 2.5 as a better option then the 3.3 but the 3.3 is boring and quite lame compared to  picco power i still have to say IMPO for bashing,wheelies,spinning tires doing donuts,and top speed PICCO .26 RED DOT ALL THE WAY..........im not bragging them up cause i own one i just really havent seen any evidence to prove otherwise.......if someone knows something i dont im open minded and if you can change my mind this be the time...............there have been 5 or 6 posts on here in the last 2weeks all pretty much the same and i have yet to hear anyone pipe up and say why they think the os is better then the picco or show any kind of proof ..........someone please get a radar gun or a gps and tell me that their os is going faster then 58mph.......someone step up anytime now and show me an os 18 hitting 2nd gear at half throttle then punching it to WOT and flipping it self over backwards
Old 04-05-2010, 03:06 PM
ArloRogers
My Feedback: (1)

I' have seen both good and bad posts on most every engine out there. I'm just saying that given the chance to run any of them Traxxas drivers ran the OS engine, why???. Some deal with OS?? or do they think that the red dot is to much engine for the Revo as it relates to turning fast laps/ fuel consumed in a race?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:56 PM
t-max97

Thanks for the help guys, i'll do some more research and figure out what I want to get. What would I have to do to put an axial big block in my revo? I didn't want to do the conversion but if it's simple and easy then I might.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Omega4u

the picco is to strong. the tz is the most power you can put in the truck without having to change the drivetrain. i run 2 revos. one with 18 tz and its prety much stock and runs fine. my second is a project revo running a os 28xz and i get about 5 min of runtime b4 it pwns a driveshaft. so if you dont care bout upgrading to cvds picco away. but for bashing and racing the tz is more than enough motor
Old 04-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Mr Max Wheelie

ok i see your ur point there i guess,and 5mins is pretty accurate on how long stock rear drive shafts last....i guess for me half the fun in this hobby is breaking stuff to upgrade it and see what works best.........when you said ''enough motor'' did you mean to say ''you can never have  enough motor''.....lol to each their own i guess..............good luck with what ever decision is t-max97,let us know what you choose
Old 04-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Omega4u

correct. you can never have to much motor. like i said i run a 28xz. put a spool in the rear and giggle like a little school girl as the stock driveshaft cry. for cvds try tiller-store.com. ill have to get a couple more updated photos
the red dot is a good mill, but the best for drop in and still being able to use traxxas parts and stock fuel cell is the tz.bigblocks are thirsty. if you dont mind me asking but what gear are you running to get 58mph. i run 20/36 and dont see see that. i still need the wide ratio i guess
Old 04-06-2010, 04:03 AM
absolutemayhem

im one of the few who spent the money so there REVO can handle a OS.28XZ...here are some vids and pics of the BADEST motor ever made, put in a 9.45lbs revo.

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8V20Ey5vPo[/link]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93107.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	1412912  
Old 04-06-2010, 05:48 AM
Mr Max Wheelie

absolutemayhem that os.28 looks pretty fun,i love that bb torque.......omega4u we were doing the high speed runs with a super light revo(carbon fiber chassis)......20/36gearing rrp steel wide ratio kit......engine was maxed out lean as it would run on 33%nitro.......the revo is not what i run normally,i run a tmaxx,we were running my picco in the revo just so we could compare it to a losi 4.27bb(which beat the picco by the way)...i really dont notice the picco being  thirsty,i switched to the proline fuel tank and i get about the same run time as the 3.3 with the stock tank........i have some new e-maxx diff cups coming for my tmaxx and a set of steel mip cvds(on back order) but should be here by the middle of the month......i wish when i got into this hobby i knew what i know now about being limited on what engine you can run with a stock tmaxx chassis,my next truck for sure will be a revo
Old 04-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Omega4u

mayhem i never get tired of seein your revo.i definatley used it for a model for mine. i had to change some things didnt want a carbon copy. truetrak rear 250cc fuel cell 2.5 chassis. havent had to do anything to the tranny, if you set the slipper to give a little it works fine.anyone who said the revo cant handle BB is a liar.it cost a littlebit of money but in the end[>:] you know when your onto something when the truggies kick you out of their class. lol they let me run at first
Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 PM
absolutemayhem

thanks bud,..i just finised modding my 28xz. and im looking to hit 65mph with slayer gears.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 PM
t-max97

Post some vids of your revo hitting 65
Old 04-07-2010, 02:16 PM
snoking16

IMO the best engine for a tmaxx or revo is the RB 523. It is a .23 that will beat a picco .26 and the os. 21. It comes as a kit with a motor mount, tuned pipe that is a perfect match for the engine and a header. Its a little more expensive at just over $300 but like i said, it comes with the mount pipe and header. Its super easy to tune, holds a tune great and has a ton of power with a great power band. I have had 2 and they both lasted over 7 gallons. My second one lasted over 10, still had great power when i sold my revo. you can change your gearing and run a little bit taller gears so you will be looking at about 45-50 MPH and will still pull wheelies. Like i said before and in other threads. I think the RB 523 is the best upgrade for any tmaxx or revo. If your looking for one just make sure you get the one for the tmaxx.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Mr Max Wheelie

do you have a link to the 523 you speak of? id like to check them out!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Omega4u

the rb 523 and os 21 tm arnt worth what they cost. they both run well and are strong mills but for 300 bucks you will be pissed off. all they are doin is putting a bb piston and sleeve into a sb case and personally piss poor design. anything more than a 18 you need to upgrade your mount. if your interesed in something along the 21-28 line the i would look at the alpha z852. between that engine and the traxxas bb kit your out the door 250 bucks with a real turbo head bb. with money left over for cvds or a pipe. a lot of us have been the bigblock route and its mostly personal prefence but there are way better options than the rb 523 and os 21tm
Old 04-07-2010, 10:28 PM
nitro stan

i got a TZ in my revo, Big block power and small block fuel milage, got to love it