Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

R/C pilots please don't do Lasik!

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

R/C pilots please don't do Lasik!

Old 03-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: R/C pilots please don't do Lasik!

Well I know that for military aviators, we are only authorized PRK. This was actually the first type of laser surgery to debut, however it's still considered the better choice overall since 1, they don't breach the structural integrity of the cornea and 2, there's no flap to come loose/fall off/get infected. The drawbacks are longer healing time, since the top layer of the cornea is ablated effectively creating a new lens, and not everyone is a candidate since doing the operation hinges upon corneal thickness. The more nearsighted you are, the more ablation is required. RK was the first vision correction surgery, and used actual scaples to make pie-shaped cuts in the cornea. I don't think anyone gets this procedure done anymore. BTW, disposable contact lenses have really come a long way and are much safer/cost effective than years ago. A doctor once told me "As long as the contacts still work for you, I wouldn't bother getting surgery."
Old 03-30-2010, 08:07 PM
fly3

New videos about lasik!
Lasik: Eye doctor says: "Don't go near it!"
Lasik VS Contact Lenses
Is Lasik surgery safe? What do you think?
Lasik, the flap never heals!
Best of Lasik Eye Surgeries
Old 04-08-2010, 05:39 PM
SunnyFlyer09

More opinions from rc pliots that have had Lasik please
Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 PM
brewski

ORIGINAL: SunnyFlyer09

Best money I have ever spent. Did it 7 years ago and still 20/20. I am 47 so the reading thing...............that is becoming another story. I am starting to use Walmart cheaters for the close up stuff but my lasik Dr. warned me that that was coming either way. I wore contacts for 25 years before lasik. Would certainly do it again!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:06 PM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

Brewski: I was using the wal-mart cheaters also. Then I went to the optometrist and got prescription glasses. I can see about a million times better with my prescription glasses and will never use the cheaters again.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:39 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stripes

The original poster joined RCUniverse the same day as this thread was posted and currently has four posts all in this thread.

He's a troll looking to stir up trouble on the lasik issue

So What!

I for one appriciate his posting and well as the others both the success stories and the failures.

To the other poster who complained this is not RC related could not be any more completely wrong. This is important no, its even vital information for any pilot model or full scale.

John
Old 04-12-2010, 11:35 AM
SunnyFlyer09

I second that !
Old 04-13-2010, 06:24 PM
fly3

More information about Lasik:

www.lasikcomplications.com
www.lasikdisaster.com
www.lifeafterlasik.com
www.lasikmemorial.com
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...aringVideo#g/u
Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 PM
fly3

Two more videos about Lasik:

Lasik: eye doctor says: "Don't go near It!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCic_...eature=channel

Lasik VS Contact Lense
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edXHN...eature=channel

Old 04-13-2010, 08:25 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same experience here Brewski. I thought you had copied an old post of mine since I have said the same thing many times.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 PM
fly3

Something will come out about lasik soon.

http://lifeafterlasik.com/LASIK%20Mo...%204152010.pdf

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/vid...urgery-9935811

See Lasik corruption at the fda.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dkantis

Old 04-19-2010, 08:35 AM
w0mbat

I had my lasik done about 13 years ago and haven't had one problem - 20/20 vision to this day. My wife had hers done about 6 years ago and she has 20/15 with no problems. The only thing I can tell people is to skip the discount places and go to a good doctor - any time you do a procedure like this, references are a good thing!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:41 AM
brewski

I don't want to misinterpret any of your post so is it safe for me to assume that you do not recommend Lasik?

Gez, your post are all alike. So what gives?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:03 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm guessing he has stock in Lenscrafters
Old 04-19-2010, 01:17 PM
SunnyFlyer09

ORIGINAL: w0mbat

I had my lasik done about 13 years ago and haven't had one problem - 20/20 vision to this day. My wife had hers done about 6 years ago and she has 20/15 with no problems. The only thing I can tell people is to skip the discount places and go to a good doctor - any time you do a procedure like this, references are a good thing!
How is your distance vision when flying?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:19 AM
w0mbat

How is your distance vision when flying?
I didn't notice any change from when I wore contact/glasses.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fly3

Hi

In this hobby we need good vision, many people are happy with lasik, and have 20/20, but that doenst mean perfect vision.
If you are considering lasik, read everything you can, there's no urgency to do it, so make sure you understand the worst that can happen to your eyes and you can live with the worst.

MUST-SEE
Is Lasik surgery safe? What do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZhOt2ka91Y

best
fly3

Note: I had to stop flying r/c after Lasik

I had catract surgery 2 years ago and been through 2 sets of glasses and looks like everything has settled and wil start flying again soon i hope.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:47 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: brewski

Best money I have ever spent. Did it 7 years ago and still 20/20. I am 47 so the reading thing...............that is becoming another story. I am starting to use Walmart cheaters for the close up stuff but my lasik Dr. warned me that that was coming either way. I wore contacts for 25 years before lasik. Would certainly do it again!
that's really strange that your eye doctor let you go through with it at that age.......most all eye doctors (that care) would never recommend Lasik at that age for your condition.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:49 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fly3,

thx for posting here and glad you joined the site.
i was considering Lasik in a couple years (i'm 55 now) as that's the age my eye doctor considerede the right time for me............not no more.....
Old 04-28-2010, 06:30 PM
brewski

ORIGINAL: summerwind

ORIGINAL: brewski

that's really strange that your eye doctor let you go through with it at that age.......most all eye doctors (that care) would never recommend Lasik at that age for your condition.
Age isn't as important as stability of vision. You need a couple of years with essentially the same prescription and that usually happens for most people in the mid-20s. For me, my prescription had changed very little from 30-40.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:28 PM
fly3

More news:

http://lifeafterlasik.com/LASIK%20M...r%204152010.pdf

Ex FDA Chief of Medical Devices, Mr. Morris Waxler, PHD letter to Dean A. Kantis/LifeAfterLasik:
This letter shows all areas of perpetual failure and inability by FDA to provide "Reasonably Safe and Effective" FDA Approved lasers and devices related to LASIK elective surgeries.

http://lifeafterlasik.com/LASIK%20F...2019%202010.pdf

FDAWeb Editor/President, Mr. Jim Dickinson, letter to Dean A. Kantis/LifeAfterLasik:
This letter questions the FDA's ability to provide "reasonable assurance that FDA Approved devices are safe:"

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING LASIK DON'T DO IT, WAIT!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 PM
fly3

News about lasik:

http://lifeafterlasik.com/LASIK%20M...%2005012010.pdf

Ex FDA Chief of Medical Devices, Mr. Morris Waxler, PHD letter to Obama, Eye Societies, Congress, Eye Doctors, and Ophthalmologist, showing his concerns with LASIK and why he's trying to issue a Public Health Advisory:

May 2, 2010 Draft
Dear XXXXXXXX:
I am Morris Waxler, a former Food and Drug Administration (FDA) official in charge of evaluating PRK and LASIK between 1996-2000. I have awards from the agency and the American Society for Cataract and Refractive Surgery to prove it. Enclosed is my resume.
LASIK is a major public health problem. Thousands of eyes are being injured every year for the chance of having a couple of years free from glasses and contact lenses. Fifteen to thirty percent of LASIK patients suffer from eye pain, glare, halos, dry eyes, night vision and other problems even if their visual acuity is normal. Almost 1% of LASIK patients have corneal ectasia, twice the rate of eyes without LASIK. Between 700,000 to 1,000,000 people will have LASIK in 2010. Your sons, daughters, parents, and friends may be future victims.
Some of you already are aware of these facts because you treat LASIK-injured patients. Please join me, onymously or anonymously, in my effort to eliminate unnecessary LASIK. Join my voice for:
ï‚· Transparency about the short-term “wow” effect versus the reality of permanent vision problem.
ï‚· Simple and accurate informed consent about the risks and benefits of LASIK versus glasses or contact lenses.
On the Fourth of July 2010 I will run an open letter to FDA Commissioner Hamburg in major newspapers in the United States urging specific actions by the agency to stem the tide of unnecessary LASIK eye injuries. Please contribute to this effort:
ï‚· Read the attached scientific literature, comment and pass it on to others.
ï‚· Communicating this message to friends, loved ones, and colleagues.
ï‚· Sign the Draft Public Health Advisory attached below.
ï‚· Send one dollar to help pay for the Open Letter To Commissioner Hamburg.
ï‚· Send ten dollars to the Fund to Treat LASIK-injured Patients
Etc….
Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 PM
fly3

See the pdf to know thelasik complications rate from the fda clinical studies, with the links to the fda webpages with those results.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ec89527.pdf (4.08 MB, 6 views)
Old 05-13-2010, 11:18 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I know 4 people who've had LASIK. One is glad he did it, no significant problems after 8 years, one RC flyer I worked with for a while had it at about 20, and has needed eye drops ever since, or at least for the two years I associated with him, as did one other person (non-flyer). And the fourth, a flyer, has lost significant depth perception, field of vision, and even has to wear sun glasses in a normally lighted room. The couple I know who had RKT have had fewer less serious problems.

Everybody's response will be different, just like with many other medical treatment. In 1964, because of the vision in my left eye, I was offered the opportunity to cancel my AF inlistment. I became a draft dodger. Got my notice at Lackland AFB. I told them that if I had the choice, get me on that bus. Passed up 2 years active duty in the Army for 4 in the AF. Been wearing glasses since I was 13, ain't going to change now, especially with the apparent overall high complication risk of any eye surgery.

Besides, my glases have prevented possible eye injuries a number of times in the last 53 years.

This type of discussion needs to happen. Glad the topic was posted. There's too much 1-sided ranting going on nowadays.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:56 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Of all the other concerns, one bothers me the most....and that is...................they claim the 'latest and greatest' is so much better than the 'procedures' of long ago......when will it end? Current today, obsolete next week...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.