Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DL engine has a mind of its own!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Bretd123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DL engine has a mind of its own!

I am breaking in a DL 50 on the ground. Its gets good fuel flow, I have a 30:1 mix ratio, and the ignition battery is fully charged and yet the engine will only start sometimes. I have run about two liters though the engine and it is still hard to start. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have a solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: DL engine has a mind of its own!

It sounds as if the low end needle might be leaned out to much. You did adjust the needles correct?
Also are you using the choke to start with? Also make sure the plug cap is pushed on the sparkplug all the way,they do go on there failry hard.
Some more info would be nice
Old 04-09-2010, 08:31 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

Are you running the stock plug? If so try a cm-6.
No sense in breaking it in on the ground. That's 2 liters of flying you've missed out on.Lol
Old 04-10-2010, 06:35 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was hard to start when I first got it and as Jim mentioned above the plug was changed out to a genuine NGK CM-6 which helped. Also, the timing was set at 39 degs from the factory which is WAY TO MUCH lead. They need to be between 27 and 30 degs BTDC. You can extend the elongation of the mounting slots in the Hall Effect Holder in order to get the needed timing if yours is off. After resetting the timing mine runs as good as the best DA50 I've seen and better than most. On a good day mine turns a XOAR 23X8 6900 and a 22X8 7500. Good luck with yours.