Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DL-50 engine

Old 04-11-2010, 09:04 PM
mando
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DL-50 engine

Hey Fellas, seems like I've been chasing my tail this afternoon, and maybe you guys can steer me in the right direction.
I've been running a new DL50 since last summer at 30:1 with a 22B Vess with great results, smooth transition on throttle up and a touch of low end burble that was hardly noticable. This spring, two weekends ago, I switched to Belray at 50:1 with even better results for engine power and the burble went away totally. Remember I've had nothing but great luck with this motor. This weekend I switched the prop to a Vess 23A, with no carb adjustment. About 4 mins into the first flight it spit and sputtered a little and died, deadsticked and landed safely.
Maybe a little lean? RPM checked at 7500-7600, tuned the high needle down to 7200 RPM and fiddled with the low end for smooth transition and burbble. Each time before adjusments, I shut it off, adjusted, and it would restart with one or two flips, running great I shut it off to cool and get a drink. When I came back to it 10 mins later it didn't want to start and would only run with the choke on. So I opened the low end until it would run, 1.5 turns out, would not run very well and I couldn't get any RPM out of it.
I don't think I should be chasing the needles at this point, What else should I be looking at?

Thanks much..................
Old 04-11-2010, 09:32 PM
The Big Kahuna

Hi Mando, sound like you picked up some **** in your fuel. I would clean the sive in the carby at this point.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 AM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: mando

Hey Fellas, seems like I've been chasing my tail this afternoon, and maybe you guys can steer me in the right direction.
I've been running a new DL50 since last summer at 30:1 with a 22B Vess with great results, smooth transition on throttle up and a touch of low end burble that was hardly noticable. This spring, two weekends ago, I switched to Belray at 50:1 with even better results for engine power and the burble went away totally. Remember I've had nothing but great luck with this motor. This weekend I switched the prop to a Vess 23A, with no carb adjustment. About 4 mins into the first flight it spit and sputtered a little and died, deadsticked and landed safely.
Maybe a little lean? RPM checked at 7500-7600, tuned the high needle down to 7200 RPM and fiddled with the low end for smooth transition and burbble. Each time before adjusments, I shut it off, adjusted, and it would restart with one or two flips, running great I shut it off to cool and get a drink. When I came back to it 10 mins later it didn't want to start and would only run with the choke on. So I opened the low end until it would run, 1.5 turns out, would not run very well and I couldn't get any RPM out of it.
I don't think I should be chasing the needles at this point, What else should I be looking at?

Replace you spark plug first. If it still does it clean your carb.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:00 PM
SOLO_48
My Feedback: (8)

Hello,I got DA 50.I have been getting some problem lately,after 1 or 2 fly screen on carb.get dirty,engine will run on the primer,not more than,I change all fuel line,,got filter before tha carb,still happening,take screen out there is some more trash on screen., Any help will be apreciate
Old 04-13-2010, 08:10 PM
mando

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

ORIGINAL: mando

Replace you spark plug first. If it still does it clean your carb.
I'll start there....if I can find the time before the weekend, Thanks........
Old 04-13-2010, 10:20 PM
FOOPED
My Feedback: (8)

Mando and Solo 48 I found out the hard way that if you change from dino to syn oils and do not clean out your fuel tanks and field tank you can get a type of flim type of build up on your filters and screens in the carb. Now it may not happen with all oils but I do know that lawnboy and Ehco syn leaves a thin flim in the system when I switched over. I am staying with pennsol air-cool two cycle oil from now on. Just my two cents worth. I drained and cleaned the field jug but not the fuel tank and lines to the carb when I ran into this problem.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use a different type of gas filter in the can and somewhere before the carb. If anything is getting into the carb it's telling you the filter does not handle the smaller particles well enough. You should be using a filter that will stop particulates down to a minimum of 10 microns. If your filter has a screen, it can't do that.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:33 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All sorts of weird stuff can happen in your fuel. I had Hayes neoprene for clunk line, penz air cooled, and my local gas cause a weird silt in my carb screens....two different engines, same exact setup. Changed to tygon and problem is gone. I now also use a Walbro felt clunk and a Dubro final filter right before the carb. My engines have never run better (thanks Jody). I switched to Stihl Ultra 50:1 as well.....Jody again.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:35 PM
69 roadrunner

Hey guys need some help I have a DL 50 it ran last week this week no start. I pulled plug flouded can I put plug in wire and ground against the head to check for spark. I also read where guys are changing ign. systems on the DL 111 and DL 222 if so what ign. I would also like to overhaul the carb any big deal to do so any help would be great. Thanks RoadRunner
Old 04-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

You don't need to ground it to the head. The plug wire is already grounded. Make sure you have the cap all the way onto the plug, it is very hard to push on. You should not be able to see any of the hex around the base of the plug if it is on all the way. I haven't heard of anyone changing out Rcexl ignitions for another brand. They are very good units and very inexpensive to replace. A 4.8 volt battery is more than enough. Do not use 5 cell batteries.....
Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 PM
69 roadrunner

SUPER8 thanks I guess I lost spark for what ever reason I will talk to jody and see if I can get a new box and carb kit. Have you ever rebuilt carb and is a very big deal to do. Thanks RoadRunner
Old 04-24-2010, 07:45 PM
weezle

here is what my spark plug looks like after 5 flights. does it look lean to you?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17125.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1424240  
Old 04-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Super08

I have never done a full rebuild on one yet. What repairs I have had to do were no problem. There are some very small parts to deal with. If you are talking to Jody you are in good hands....much better than I by far.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:00 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weez, Yep. Looks a smit lean and the reason I say that is if you get into a Situation were you go any leaner, you may sustain damage. super8 and the bunch could tell you better but for me I like a little safety margin on that. Some engines for other uses I have had, I would call that a clean burn but not in an aircraft. Mabey a few more will comment. Blue Skies.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Super08

Definitely a funny grey color to it and it looks very dry. I am not the most knowledgeable at reading plugs. Pe, Pat, and Jody would be the ones to ask.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 AM
weezle

Is there any chance I caused damage to my DLE? You know started right up on the first flight of the day but after that it took 10 to 15 flips to start, is that a sign of being to lean?
Old 04-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Super08

Here is a copy and paste of a post by Pe it is a very well written set of instructions on how to tune your engine properly...

The balancing act between low and high needle seems to be the most difficult thing about gas engines with floatless carbs.
There is a simple rule about this.
If the engine is easy to start, the low probably still is too rich. Lean out the low until starting without choke in a warm engine becomes impossible. That is the "too-lean" setting. From there, open up, but no more than 1/4 turn.

Other method according to Walbro instructions:
At slightly high idle (about 1800 rpm), find the L-needle setting with best rpm, by finding the lean rpm drop and the rich rpm drop. Best setting is in between.
Then set the high needle for best rpm. Find the rich rpm drop of the high needle. Stay just clear of that rpm drop.

Now a cold engine should not accept throttle until well warmed up. Once warm, throttle response should be crisp. If not, richen the L-needle slightly. This will improve the hot starting, and also add to the idle shake. This is normal, and just the thing that two stroke gas engines do.

P.S.
fine tuning the L-needle should not be done hamfisted. Turning the screw a hair makes a difference. Using 1/4 turns, or even 1/8th turns will probably overshoot the ideal setting. In some carbs with steep idle needle taper, 1/16th of a turn is too much.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:56 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

That plug def looks lean. It should have a light brown color...tan. Gray is lean. White is really bad...a melt down waiting to happen.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:06 AM
weezle

alright back to drawing board[]. My oil mixture was 32:1, I'll just richen up a little bit on both needles. does anyone here know off hand what factory starting postions should be for the needles.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Super08

The so called factory settings are too lean on the high. Try starting with 1.25 low and 1.75 high and tune form there. That will put you very close to start...
Old 04-25-2010, 08:40 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: weezle

here is what my spark plug looks like after 5 flights. does it look lean to you?
For a two stroke engine that plug looks fine, I do not think its lean. It also depends on what you mean by lean a lean fuel to air ratio??? Or a lean oil mixture?? Plug is darkened and not white that is what you want to see with hardly any deposits on the plug.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:14 PM
jedijody

That plug doesn't look lean, it looks pretty close to maybe a little rich. The grey color makes it a little difficult to read accurately in just a photograph, some fuel additives give plugs that color but so does detonation. Before making a definitive call I would like to know what oil you're using,how you go about adjusting your carb, what your needle settings are,and your altitude. Super8 posted some great information on tuning.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:34 AM
weezle

I was using stihl ultra at a ratio of 32:1. I started with the low needle... I leaned it until I lost transition, then richened so transition came back. high needle leaned until max RPM was achieved then backed off 200 RPM. This engine ran great the whole time no dead sticks or anything. it was a little hard to start 2nd and 3rd flights, so maybe my low needle was lean right? I think I am ready to move to a ratio 50:1.

let me know what you think

josh
Old 04-27-2010, 09:35 AM
hillbillyexpress

Hey guys, finally after almost a year, i got my cap 232 27% with the dle-55 in the air. First time i started my dle-55, it took 3 spins with the choke on, it sputtered, i turned the choke off and 3 turns later she was running. i ran it on the ground for a tank with 32:1 lawnboy ashless and will for 2-3 gallons. i love this engine, even not fully broken in, it has all kinds of power, in fact after three flights, i have yet to do anthing other than 1/2 throttle, except a few quick hits upto full. my questions is, when should i fine tune? this engine runs great with the facotry settings with very little effort to start. how do i know if it needs tuned? i have a very smooth transition from low to high throttle and my idle is very nice.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:37 AM
arobatx

Fine tune immediately....the lawnboy isn't doing your engine any favors. Excellent tuning advice in post 6009. As your engine breaks in, you will find further fine tuning necessary at times, just as you will if you decide to change props, mufflers, oil ratio....etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.