Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Nitro engine won't turn over?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 04:57 PM
arok89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro engine won't turn over?

Theres an odd and loud whistle sound in the video that doesnt occur when i try to start it...i think its the microphone in the cell phone. so that really loud sound ...ignore it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLh0bV5cbMM

Ihaven't started this thing in 5 years, so i know its a bit rusty. Icleaned everything out though and tried starting with the glow plug off and put back in, the little "wand"thing when i put it on the glow plug says its almost maximum power or w.e and its brand new fuel n everything

any ideas? *tear* thanks in advance!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:08 PM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nitro engine won't turn over?

It sounds like the nylon gears in the easy start gearbox. If the white lithium grease is dried out, the gears may seem to "squeak" or whistle.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your title is a bit misleading.....it turns over fine....it just doesn't start!!

Remove your glowplug and ground it to the engine. Leave the wire on the end. Operate your starter and make sure the glowplug glows bight orange.

Set your mixture screws back to factory settings. Usually the HSN factlory setting is very rich, so you can screw in the HSN 1/4 to 1/2 turn from the factory setting.

When you prime it, you put your finger over the exhaust and watch the fuel get to the carb. Keep cranking for 1 more second after the fuel reaches the carb so that the carb fills and a bit gets into the engine.

Increase your throttle a bit when you start it. This really helps a lot. I just rotate the throttle trim on the transmitter until I see the carb bellows just begin to move. Be ready to throttle back if it starts and revs too high.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:30 PM
skrilla

ORIGINAL: Argess

Your title is a bit misleading.....it turns over fine....it just doesn't start!!

Remove your glowplug and ground it to the engine. Leave the wire on the end. Operate your starter and make sure the glowplug glows bight orange.

Set your mixture screws back to factory settings. Usually the HSN factlory setting is very rich, so you can screw in the HSN 1/4 to 1/2 turn from the factory setting.

When you prime it, you put your finger over the exhaust and watch the fuel get to the carb. Keep cranking for 1 more second after the fuel reaches the carb so that the carb fills and a bit gets into the engine.

Increase your throttle a bit when you start it. This really helps a lot. I just rotate the throttle trim on the transmitter until I see the carb bellows just begin to move. Be ready to throttle back if it starts and revs too high.
excellent advice. Based on your video, it is definitely turning over. An additional bit of advice....if it hasn't been started in 5 years, it's time to clean out the carb. At the very least, remove the carb, then remove the low and high speed needles and spray carb cleaner in them. They may be gummed up with old oil. I have this problem after letting my engines sit over the winter or for just a few weeks. 5years is a long time. Do that, then set the needles to factory settings, confirm glowplug is working, and it will most definitely fire up
Old 04-11-2010, 06:00 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: skrilla
if it hasn't been started in 5 years, it's time to clean out the carb. At the very least, remove the carb, then remove the low and high speed needles and spray carb cleaner in them. They may be gummed up with old oil. I have this problem after letting my engines sit over the winter or for just a few weeks. 5 years is a long time. Do that, then set the needles to factory settings, confirm glowplug is working, and it will most definitely fire up
Yes, I find the same thing. I had left that out as the OP said he had cleaned everything, but as he wasn't specific about what he cleaned, your comment is a very good point.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:13 PM
arok89

ugh, i hate taking this hgrtingh apart haha, i took the engine off to clean out the inside of the ezstart motor(which worked, because before that it hadnt been turning over, and sorry about ther name i guess i confused myself at the time of post), i'm definately going to try your guyses advice today as i have nothing else to do I am a bit confused though about the pins, i thought it was just 1 pin next to the fuel line / the filter. are there more? I'm sorry i'm not too familiar with these things, but the advice is very very much appreciated, i can't wait to get this thing movin! i put 100 bucks into the other day now i'm broke, so hopefully i won't need anymore money into it. maybe a glow plug. I'ma gonna take apart the carb n clean the crap out of it, i also cleaned out gas tank from old gas, lines, and it looks actually like when you take the filer thign off (whihc includes that needle i spoke of) it looks like there maybe be a little dirt or something actually inside the engine itself, so maybe i'll have to take it all apart and make sure its all sparkling clean hoped a lil old mud wouldnt have been a problem but i guess it is >.<

I'll let you guys know how it went in a couple hours!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:17 PM
arok89

1 more problem,  when i try to start it i don't see the fuel even attempting to move through the fuel line, i see a little airbubble that seems to be vibrating but no fuel is going INTO this carb, it just sits there , maybe since its not actually started it wont be sucking it through the fuel line? it doesnt look like fuel is even trying to get in there, and fuel line isnt pinned or anything it should be clear for movin, again blew out fuel lines no obstructions inside, and i turned the pin the fuel line is next to (going into the carb) 4 full turns from totally closed, so it should be open. any ideas?
Old 04-11-2010, 04:59 PM
arok89

~update~

Well i was foolish and after i cleaned out the carb i noticed one of the pins on the ezstart thing was comming out, i tried to push it back in and only made it worse, then it totally came off (and the end snipped off so the black cable is useless) so now i need a new red/black/blue/yellow cords and the little white box on the end-part again...what would that cost me? If i didnt explain myself correctly i'm sorry, but the black wire on the end, that little pin that goes into the white plastic piece, got snipped off of the cable so i cant put it back together)

other than that i think this thing might be in working order....when i cleaned the carb there was muck in one of the tiny holes, so i don't think any fuel could have gotten through it, but now its clear :O! so i just need that power cables thing for the eazystart motor thing.

how much?!
Old 04-12-2010, 06:06 PM
tuner_mx6

wow this sounds just like my prob. except the wireing prob. i cant get mine to run either the gas will not go into the carb some times it wants to start and it will rev really high and than die again but i have to put sum, fuel into the carb. cause the gas will not go in can someone please try to help me out i really need it i took the motor apart  cleand it a few times i just got a new glow plug so im going to go try that rite now
Old 04-12-2010, 10:59 PM
arok89

Did the new glow plug work for you? mines old.

ALSO! someone mentioned to me that in the vid it sounds like there barely any air compression, that everything must be airtight, so i started to look around, and i noticed the blue plunger thing on the engine is torn! pretty bad. I'm wondering if this part is part of what needs to be air tight or irrelevant, because when i hit the throttle it has no probnlem opening just as it would if it wasnt torn.

here's a picture i took of it, So to replace or not to replace? (im broke so i hope i don't have to) but if its absolutely necessary i guess i'll have to.

http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/v...&current=1.jpg

Let me know guys, thanks!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 AM
tuner_mx6

well i tried the new glow plug and still the same thing it started for a few seconds than died again but i still had to put the gas into the carb i was watching a video on youtube and it says to take the glowplug out and take sum wd40 spay just a verylil in by the piston so im going to try that  i went to the hobby shop and man were those guys dick heads as soon as i told them i had a thunder tiger just like that i could tell they wanted nothing to do with this car for sum reason so now here i am stuck gettn broke and dont no wht to do next  lol so i think i might try a new gas tank to but i dont no where to get one at
Old 04-13-2010, 02:01 PM
arok89

a gas tank you'd find at another hobby shop, see if they have a "Hobbytown USA" near you, i go there and the people are very friendly and easy to work with.

Maybe you're not tuned well? i don't know anything about tuning but i'm pretty sure if you're tuned wrong (i believe its the low speed pin that affects idle) maybe if your idle is too low...it shuts it self off? high and low speed pins affect some sort of mixture of the gas and stuff.....

look on youtube how to tune your specific engine.

im heading to the store now to pick up my new parts and hopefully i'll update this thread with a happy face!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:07 PM
papy_yosh

ORIGINAL: tuner_mx6

well i tried the new glow plug and still the same thing it started for a few seconds than died again but i still had to put the gas into the carb i was watching a video on youtube and it says to take the glowplug out and take sum wd40 spay just a verylil in by the piston so im going to try that i went to the hobby shop and man were those guys dick heads as soon as i told them i had a thunder tiger just like that i could tell they wanted nothing to do with this car for sum reason so now here i am stuck gettn broke and dont no wht to do next lol so i think i might try a new gas tank to but i dont no whereto get one at
If your engine dies on idle, by reving up then dies your are to lean on your LSN. open it 1/8 more (conterclock wise) then try. do that untill the engine old the idle for 15+ second. When you ahve that, rev it up and see what it does. take a look at that chart to help you on the tuning.
Hope this help.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:15 AM
arok89

so the glow plug was the culprit afterall, i bought new EZ start cords since i accidentalyl ripped mine out of the harness thing... and also the glow plug.

NOW MY TMAXX STARTS!

however, it sounds very funky. like theres too much spaec between the engines mini gear and the big main gear. listen to it, i video'd. sound wierd at all to you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg_yRf-Js50
Old 04-14-2010, 12:16 AM
arok89

oh, and also, i noticed it looks like a lot of fuel is spewing out of the exhaust, not a ton, but more fuel than smoke is comming out. what do i do?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
papy_yosh

is it spewing fuel at idle or when the throttle is open?
you are to rich. close you LSN 1/8 of a turn if at idle or the HSN if at opened throttle .
Check if it is only oily or if what is comming out is also cooling your finger. if just oily this is normal. if cool when you are touching it, your mix is too rich.
the extra fuel spewing reduce the temperature of the combustion. you should not see smoke or really few.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:36 PM
arok89

at idle, it won't kick into gear very easily and when it does pops right back out and idles very loud when i hit the throttle instead of moves the gears and goes.

i bought a new carb and everything is fine, i don't know why its doing this to me and i want to cry, thats like 165$ i spent on this thing so far sincei  pulled it out of storage and it still won't go! they are only 350 new now! > it starts...but hard to kick into gear, and spewin too much fluid from exhaust.

P.S. its very hard to keep it running if i take my finger off the ez start button or pull it out it doesn't stay idling, just shuts off.

bought:
controller, crystals ($70 ish)
carb ($16)
fuel($25)
glow plug($7)
mutant cooling head (just liked it at the time, and  $20 instead of $50)
EZ start cords+harness ($7)
Old 04-14-2010, 10:50 PM
papy_yosh

How open is the carb in idle? 1 to 2 mm?
You might need to adjust the idle the lower screew with the spring around it.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:52 PM
arok89

if i turn that screw totally clockwise so its closed, how much do i open it? i just installed everything in the new carb body i bought and i have no clue how to tune, all i did was put HSN 4 1/2 turns out.

help me out! i can't afford any more parts and its so close to working!
Old 04-14-2010, 11:30 PM
papy_yosh

for the idle screew, you have to check without the filter en mesure the 1mm. the thickness of a credit card.
on mine, I have a HSN at 3 turns to start and 4 1/2 turn for LSN

Old 04-15-2010, 02:21 PM
arok89

check it out, sounds wierd,. what do you detect?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FavzoQDHS2A