Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLA 56

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:36 PM
laudy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DLA 56

before you get excited look at my last post on what about the dla 112 buyer beware
Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Malcolm Kay
My Feedback: (11)

badazzmax.. yes i finally received a new backplate in the mail together with a new crankcase all in anodised blue color , i don't know if this is any stronger material , however I have fitted the new backplate and as a precaution i re tapped the mounting posts to take 5mm bolts and lockwashers... i refitted the motor in the P47 and ran it this afternoon it seemed fine and and idled nicely , so I will fly the plane in this coming week and let you all know what happens......... in Fairness to DLA they explained that they had been at a Shanghai Toy Fare for three weeks and they hadn't really understood my E mails , but on their return they were able to send me the part.... the downtime has been almost five weeks.....MK
Old 04-18-2010, 08:45 PM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Malcolm Kay
My Feedback: (11)

Flew the bird yesterday had three flights ....... had a deadstick landing when the motor stopped after i pulled the throttle back to idle after a high manouver, and floated the plane back to the runway.... motor was performing very well with plenty of power and starting easily but i could not get the idle right the third flight and after 10 minutes flying on approach stayed on idle and at finals just as i opened the throttle it quit and pancaked in sad....
Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 AM
slopoke76

I think it is saft to sayit is a stay away from type of engine.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:04 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: slopoke76

I think it is saft to say it is a stay away from type of engine.
What nonsense. They are being imported by McGregor in the UK, I would not think they would be inporting them if this were the case.

Re the mounting lugs you could add a metal plate connecting pairs of lugs to see if this would help

Dennis
Old 10-27-2010, 04:07 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

I Have one of these and have noticed that the muffler is simply an exhaust deflector. Is anyone fitting an additional muffler.

Also do you guys disconnect the spring on the throttle

Dennis
Old 10-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Mikecam

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=111099
Old 10-31-2010, 07:01 PM
bbrown2828
My Feedback: (76)

on the dla 56 what is the starting point on the carb i have one and we have been messing with it for about a month now and still cant get it to run right

Old 11-01-2010, 02:04 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: bbrown2828

on the dla 56 what is the starting point on the carb i have one and we have been messing with it for about a month now and still cant get it to run right

Make sure the bolts holding the head on are tight. Others have reported this as a problem

Dennis
Old 11-01-2010, 08:11 AM
dla_engine

This message gave us rather a shock.But we have already sent the prop hub to HK after receiving your last email and asked them to offer you after-sale service. They promised to send the spare part as soon as possible, but I do not know why they have not sent it until now, I will hunt out all the facts and give you a satisfied reply.Although we have stated clear that our warranty only supply to the original purchaser in our manual, but this matter is because of our dealer failing in their duty, we want to solve this problem, So please offer me your detailed address and your tel No, I will offer you the spare parts as soon as possible.For more professional service, pilots in USA please buy from Mike /Ibcinyou rc, he will offer you best service.Sorry for the inconvenience
Old 11-13-2010, 12:53 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Well I have a sore shoulder and a twisted neck and I am totally fed up. I have spent 3 hours with this engine and I have started it once and it ran ok for about 2 mins. We adjusted the throttle trim to reduce the tickover and it stopped. It had been terrible eversince. It has started a few times but it splutters and dies. It even runs in reverse for a few revolutions. If anyone can offer me any help it would be much appreciated cos I am getting to the end of my tether with this one and almost jumped on the whole plane. whicis a 90 inck corsair........................ which because of this engine I now hate

Dennis
Old 11-20-2010, 12:35 PM
pulsar110
My Feedback: (5)

guys i have 2 things here. first i broke my hall sensor in a mishap with my plane so i need a new one. wondering if the DLE will work for this engine as i need to make an order from TBM anyway.

second for those having trouble getting thier engines to start and run i too had issues until i went to this website:

http://indianatinygasengines.com/page3.aspx

this cat seems to know his stuff as this page has helped me alot. i totally reset my carb to his start settings and followed his directions for tuning and now my engine starts and runs fine. hope this helps those havin a hard time.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:58 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

That is very useful information but my Engine is on its way back to the importer. I changed the spark plug to the NGK CM6 as suggested and the thing is still being a pain. It will start but only after loads of effort and then stops after about 1 second of running. I have to say I am very fed up indeed with this engine and also have a sore arm, back and neck from swinging the prop for approx 2 hours + 2 hours + 1 hour on three separate days. If I had any inkling it was going to be this much of a pain I would never have tried it and stuck to Turbines, Glow and Electric. People told me Petrol/Gas engines were reliable and easy to start oh and of course clean. I have to say I have not found this to be the case at all. I will await the report from the supplier but I aint holding out much hope. If they send it back saying it is ok and it still wont work I will smash the dam thing to bits with a large hammer and put the pics up here.

We should not have to go throu all ths with a new product. It is simple if we buy an engine it should work regardless of what make, model, cost etc. If it dont work it is just so much wasted space.

Dennis

Dennis
Old 11-20-2010, 01:46 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

Dennis,you got started off on the wrong foot with the DLA.there is only one china made engine worth buying,they can keep the rest.as you and i and a lot of others have found out.
gasser's are a lot cleaner than glow and they sound much better than elec.and i haven't seen a turbine 3d yet.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:50 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: closetguy

Dennis,you got started off on the wrong foot with the DLA.there is only one china made engine worth buying,they can keep the rest.as you and i and a lot of others have found out.
gasser's are a lot cleaner than glow and they sound much better than elec.and i haven't seen a turbine 3d yet.
Ali can 3D a Turbine . Which is the one worth buying then............... Either way for £260 they should work

Dennis
Old 09-27-2011, 12:46 PM
steen49

Got a DLA 56 a few months ago. Engine runs (ran) fine, no problems what so ever........... untill 3 of the mounting lugs or ears or whatever they are called, broke for no apparent reason on the 7th flight. I killed the engine and dead stick landed it 20 seconds into the flight. Pure luck that it did not cost my me Hangar 9 Carden Yak and everything inside it.
Will get a new engine from the dealer here in Denmark free of charge, but I'm not sure I will risk putting it into any of my planes. Perhaps I can sell it for $ 5 on eBay, if I am lucky.

Apart from that............. the engine was a beauty to start and ran excellent - for 6 flights at least.

rgds
Schaff
Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 PM
BadAzzMaxx

ORIGINAL: steen49

Got a DLA 56 a few months ago. Engine runs (ran) fine, no problems what so ever........... untill 3 of the mounting lugs or ears or whatever they are called, broke for no apparent reason on the 7th flight. I killed the engine and dead stick landed it 20 seconds into the flight. Pure luck that it did not cost my me Hangar 9 Carden Yak and everything inside it.
Will get a new engine from the dealer here in Denmark free of charge, but I'm not sure I will risk putting it into any of my planes. Perhaps I can sell it for $ 5 on eBay, if I am lucky.

Apart from that............. the engine was a beauty to start and ran excellent - for 6 flights at least.

rgds
Schaff
I have seen the ears break on about all brand engines and most of the time it is caused by putting stress on the stand offs when mounting the engine, If the bolts do not go into stand offs with out forcing the stand offs just make the mounting holes a little larger.

Pulling the stand offs to match the mounting holes will put a strain on the ears causing them to fail.

Milton
Old 09-28-2011, 02:38 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: closetguy

well i felt i had to up date this one.bought a new dla56 here in the US from VirginaModelBuilders.
money not as easy to make as it was few years ago,so i bought the dla56 to save some money.
been happy with it sense day one,have about four gals. of fuel through it and starts and runs great and just as smooth and as strong if not stronger than the dle55 i have.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
My Feedback: (6)

Well here is my 2 cent about the DLA 56 I bought one last spring and put it in a peakmodel yak 54 I broke it in on 32-1 at first then went to 45-1 and have been running at that all along with good resuts sure I had to tune the carb alittle I live 3000 feet above sea level.I have tryed all kids of props starting with the zoer 22-8 and 22-10 run great then zoer 23-8 and 23-10 lots of pull then vezz 22-8,22-10,23-8 and 23-10 with good to great resuts then I tryed hawk 23c-8 and 23c-10 works good to.So when it comes to power and performance there is no doubt that this engine has great power to it.How ever the problem is with the mounting lugs they are not strong enough to take what this engine can put out and they just are not big enough thick enough they are thinner and smaller then then the ones on the DLE 55 and the EVO GX 45.I think that if they were to fix this problem there would not be a problem and it would be just as good as the DLE 55 if not better.as you can see in the picture this has happened to me twice first time broke 2 off and the second time I broke 3 off in both case's I was able to put the plane on the ground with out problems.So thats my 2 cent for the day. Doug
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76832.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	1675806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80243.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	1675807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96253.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	1675808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49085.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	1675809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rd42684.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	1675810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh65259.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	1675811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xz52837.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1675812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ih24080.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	1675813  

Old 10-18-2011, 06:12 AM
captainron

Question Guys.......

Is the DLA 56 basically the same engine as the SE 56 that I bought from SE Models Products? Which at this point, I'm not very impressed with.

PLEASE TIRED OLD MAN, please don't chew me out for asking a dumb question and not researching before posting.............

LOVE THIS STUFF......... CAPTAIN RON
Old 10-18-2011, 06:53 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Yes

Milton
Old 10-18-2011, 07:22 AM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: captainron

Question Guys.......

Is the DLA 56 basically the same engine as the SE 56 that I bought from SE Models Products? Which at this point, I'm not very impressed with.

PLEASE TIRED OLD MAN, please don't chew me out for asking a dumb question and not researching before posting.............

LOVE THIS STUFF......... CAPTAIN RON
Yes, it's exactly the same engine.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:16 AM
captainron

Thanks for responding Jody.............I was hoping you would chime in.

OK Now, I know the SE 56 is probably a good engine and it seems to run extremely well on the ground static. Good Transition, great idle, lots of power. That being said, I have it on an Aero Works 50cc extra. The take off is awesome but once she gets in the air, it goes rich....it seems. I get that rich tale tale sign of the burble....just doesn't run smooth as it does on the ground. HOWEVER......When I go inverted, it smooths right out....GO FIGURE. Now, I've been around gas engines for many years. I've done all of the usual things. Set the needles for a smooth transition, no hesitation on the ground what so ever. Idles smoothly, no signs of smoke or richness on the ground. Thinking the carb is pressureizing, I even drilled and tapped into the plate on the top of the carb. installed a nipple and ran a piece of Tygon into the fuse. Still the same results. SE Model products has been very helpful, even to the point of sending me his UPS account number to return it and their expense to see what's wrong. I don't want to send it back if I don't have to.

PLEASE.......EVERYONE..........don't be mislead here. I AM NOT UNHAPPY WITH SE MODEL PRODUCTS OR THE ENGINE..............I'M JUST MISSING SOMETHING HERE AND NEED TO FIGURE IT OUT!

Jody, your the best there is out there when it comes to these motors...........Your help here would be much appreciated!

THANKS, CAPTAIN RON
Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

You might try this site and see if your needle and seat settings is set up correct from the factory
http://tech.flygsw.org/walbro_tuneup.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.