Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLA 112 ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:09 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DLA 112 ???

that sucks for sure.....i just bought a dle55 not long ago and i am EXTREMELY impressed with it, i see no reason to not get a dle111 at this point, my choice between these 2 has been made, thanks for all the info on this thread, i dont think i need to follow it much more
Old 04-19-2010, 01:36 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: laudy

well here are the results, furst of all I'm a normal rc flyer with machine shop experience. just want to have a good reliable engine. So I bought a DLE 111, DLA 112 ,, Missed the fuel 32:1 started both and ran 5 gallons of fuel through each of them. both using a 27b vess prop. well we never made it to 5 gallons of fuel. After about 2.3 gallons of fuel the DLA began to run hot and finally seized and stopped. The DLE 111, ran through the five gallons and has since had 17 gallons of redline mix 40:1 with no issues runs great. I took the DLA 112 to my machine shop friend who is an aerospace engineer and he took the engine to work and tore it down. Here was his findings, Poor Bearing choice, Poor machining the cyclinder spacing, Poor crank machining. Then for comparison I gave him my trusty DLE 11, he tore it down, He is his report, Good Lubrication. Good having Cage Bearing, Good overall machining. Put this engine back together and it continues to run. So I'm sold on DLE 111, I also have a DA 100 and it runs great also with no problems, I just wanted to compare the two DLA and DLE products. DLE one in my little uncontrolled experiment hands down. I think if is a real test done by a modeler who just wants an engine to run. No college degree just read the manual, mix the fuel and fly and the DLE 111 and DA 100 have been going strong. As for the DLA 112, sent it back with a explaination asking about the warranty. Here is what I received. Engine was returned not accepted by receipiant. Well what do you think about that . So I wrote a letter and sent it via email. Guess what I was told. Since I'm not a engineer I did not know how to test the motor thus I ruined it. No Warranty. How do you like that, I'm justg a joe blow modeler running an engine. So IF you want my two cents DO NOT BUY A DLA I got screwed but I figured that when I bought it.

Happy flying

Laudy
Did you get this from a dealer or the factory. ???
Old 04-19-2010, 01:41 AM
laudy

From the dealer in austrailia I believe
Old 04-19-2010, 01:42 AM
laudy

It was the one on on rcu that was pushing these things so I bought it and tried it. bad investment but I was able to learn allot and wrote it off with business expenses. good deal after all. ;}
Old 04-19-2010, 01:44 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Was there damage to the cylinder and piston.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:45 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Is he the one that would not warranty it.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:49 AM
laudy

I was told to contact the factory direct. -
Old 04-19-2010, 01:52 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Just trying to get the full picture of what went wrong with it, if it seized up did you see what made it do it.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:57 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Was it one of these
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=624584
Old 04-19-2010, 02:21 AM
dla_engine

I am the factory of DLA engine,oh,I haven't received any reply from u ?pls do offer me the dealer's contact infos!

I think u were very clear ur DLA112 from,just wonder why u wrote"From the dealer in austrailia I believe "?

pls let me know ur contact number ,I will solve ur problems here!!!!

Old 04-19-2010, 02:27 AM
BadAzzMaxx

This post has really got me confused, How did you know who to send it to, The only dealer I have seen selling them here on RCU is from Maplewood MO ??

Old 04-19-2010, 03:38 AM
dla_engine

Hello all,in order to offer urgent after-sale service to our customers,Now I list my after-sale contact info here for ur convenience!

email:[email protected]

Tel: 0086-02982197815

DLA will do as they promised!!!!!

I was told to contact the factory direct. -
Old 04-19-2010, 03:43 AM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Who is the Australian dealer?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:28 AM
BadAzzMaxx

well here are the results, furst of all I'm a normal rc flyer with machine shop experience. just want to have a good reliable engine. So I bought a DLE 111, DLA 112 ,, Missed the fuel 32:1 started both and ran 5 gallons of fuel through each of them. both using a 27b vess prop. well we never made it to 5 gallons of fuel. After about 2.3 gallons of fuel the DLA began to run hot and finally seized and stopped. The DLE 111, ran through the five gallons and has since had 17 gallons of redline mix 40:1 with no issues runs great. I took the DLA 112 to my machine shop friend who is an aerospace engineer and he took the engine to work and tore it down. Here was his findings, Poor Bearing choice, Poor machining the cyclinder spacing, Poor crank machining. Then for comparison I gave him my trusty DLE 11, he tore it down, He is his report, Good Lubrication. Good having Cage Bearing, Good overall machining. Put this engine back together and it continues to run. So I'm sold on DLE 111, I also have a DA 100 and it runs great also with no problems, I just wanted to compare the two DLA and DLE products. DLE one in my little uncontrolled experiment hands down. I think if is a real test done by a modeler who just wants an engine to run. No college degree just read the manual, mix the fuel and fly and the DLE 111 and DA 100 have been going strong. As for the DLA 112, sent it back with a explaination asking about the warranty. Here is what I received. Engine was returned not accepted by receipiant. Well what do you think about that . So I wrote a letter and sent it via email. Guess what I was told. Since I'm not a engineer I did not know how to test the motor thus I ruined it. No Warranty. How do you like that, I'm justg a joe blow modeler running an engine. So IF you want my two cents DO NOT BUY A DLA I got screwed but I figured that when I bought it.

Happy flying

Laudy
I was just wondering if you could clarify a few things so we all know what is going on with this engine.

You say you sent it back for warranty repairs and say later you think it came from a dealer in Australia, Who did you send it to for repairs, A dealer in the US or in Australia. ???

You said that they told you because you were not a engineer there was no warranty on the engine but then say later you were told to contact the factory, Have you tried to contact them, They are trying to contact you so they can try to solve your problem.

You said you mixed 5 gallons for each engine and the DLA only made it through 2.3 gallons and the DLE finished the 5 gallons and then another 17 gallons
So if my math is right the DLE has had 2.2 gallons plus 17 gallons of fuel through it sense your problem with DLA.
5 gallons less the 2.3 gallons = 2.2 gallons and another 17 gallons = 19.2 gallons @ 128 ounces per gallon = 2,457 ounces plus at 32 to one oil would be another 4 ounces per gallon make a total of 2,533 ounces, If all of this is right at a average of 24 ounces per flight that would be about 105 more flights on the DLE, So I am guessing it has been a few months sense your problem with the DLA

You said your friend the aerospace engineer said it had poor bearings, could you tell us what brand name is on them and if you are talking about the crank pin needle bearings or the case bearings. ??

Would like to also know what actually failed on the engine, was it case bearings, crank pin needle bearings, rings, piston or did the whole thing just fly apart.

Thanks, and really appreciate your input on this.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Ronny Hightower
My Feedback: (1)

Its really hard for me to believe any of this story when you consider I have had personal interaction with DLA reps and the service and warranty have been more than I could hope for. For them to refuse the engine is completely opposite my experience. I have several gallons now through mine, maybe 5 or so and it is preforming exactly like the DLA and as I said in my last post, the DA 100 will not keep up as it shouldnt because of the difference in HP. We are at about 11.5 and the DA right at 10 if memory serves me. I can also tell you the name and phone number of the DLA guy and give him a hearty hats off for constant emails and concern to know that I have a product I am proud of. There is just something very wrong with this info!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:07 AM
edwal07

I totally agree. To many instances of "hard to believe", "don't know, maybe Australia", "how many gallons", "lots and lots of flying". There is no explination of how he ran the engines, was it a normal break-in or just firewall it and let her rip? There is a proper way to break in an engine. Also sounds like a lot of money to shell out just to "see". Also I would know who, where and when I bought it. Plus I would try to find out what, when, and why it failed. I think there is a lot of "shucking" going on. I've shucked a few ears of corn in my life and can dang well tell you if there's worms in the corn. It looks and sounds pretty wormy to me.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 AM
edwal07

Forgot. Also if I understand correctly the DLA bearings are not China bearings. They are Japanese bearings. I have the DLA 56 and took it apart and looked. I was impressed with the machining it does have a DLE piston. I have ran the engine thru a gallon of fuel and have no overheating or problems, I also used a heat gun to check head temps, all normal. This engine was the first engine to enter the US and was previously run by another well qualified person for over an hour and never had a problem before he sent it to me. I do not have the 112, but from looking at the 56 I am happy and impressed. Still a wormy story to me!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:14 AM
BadAzzMaxx

ORIGINAL: edwal07

I totally agree. To many instances of ''hard to believe'', ''don't know, maybe Australia'', ''how many gallons'', ''lots and lots of flying''. There is no explination of how he ran the engines, was it a normal break-in or just firewall it and let her rip? There is a proper way to break in an engine. Also sounds like a lot of money to shell out just to ''see''. Also I would know who, where and when I bought it. Plus I would try to find out what, when, and why it failed. I think there is a lot of ''shucking'' going on. I've shucked a few ears of corn in my life and can dang well tell you if there's worms in the corn. It looks and sounds pretty wormy to me.
[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Old 04-19-2010, 10:22 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

yeh its a bit strange he is not following up on any unanswered questions as well, if i had an issue and took the time to let everyone know about it, id defend myself when people question my integrity
Old 04-19-2010, 10:36 AM
BadAzzMaxx

I have one of the 56cc engines and have not run it a lot or broke it down, but did pull the prop hub and it has NSK Japan bearings in the case, That is why I do not understand the statement about poor bearings,

I am going to do a lot of running on the one i have to see how will it holds up,
Old 04-19-2010, 11:43 AM
laudy

Ok I want to clarify, All I am is a older flyer with to much money, I obtained the engines through a mutual friend. all we did is mount the engines on a stand and fired them up and let them go. I wanted this to a be a test of "the guy that is not an engineer and just a guy that wanted to try an experiment" All I know is the DLA failed. My Friend took the engine and to work tore it apart and told what he found. All I know is the DLA failed. That is good enough for me to know that I don't want another. No Lab test, No Controled enviroment. Just two old guys trying to see if one would fail or not. One did fail. End of story. My Firend attempted to contact the distributor and he was told to contact the factory. We are two old vets that don't really give a crap. Just all we know is the DLA FAILED. Ebnd of story. I wish we would of just left it alone now. We got the idea sitting around with the weather not good enough to fly. as ofr 105 flights. The engine never left the ground. THe DLE has since been nounted and continues to perform. Sorry I'm not a lab expert. Make your evaluation.

I will now un suscribe
Old 04-19-2010, 11:49 AM
laudy

FYI I have sent an email to the factory. End of Story

thanks
Old 04-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Ibcinyou!
My Feedback: (850)

Hello fellow r/c enthusiasts! I am a dealer for DLE & DLA.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and statements about DLA. I am trying to make sense of it all! Are they clones, not clones, copies of DL, DLE, and the like! From my understanding DLA used to work for or work with DLE.
There are four (4) basic differences between DLA & DLE
1) 2-year replacement warranty. Which I take care of at my location in Missouri (DLA)
2) Aluminum magnesium cases & mufflers. (DLA)
3) Japanese bearings not Chinese. (DLA)
4) Choice of case colors, i.e. red, blue, silver, gold. (DLA)
Slightly more h.p. (11.5) and 80grams lighter.
I am NOT partial to either engine! I have been very pleased with performance & quality of both engine mfg. I can only tell you what I KNOW! Which is not hearsay or speculation, I am an end user of the products that I sell! I do have experience with both of these mfg. DLE & DLA. I have been doing some experiments with the DLA 112 in particular. I have a 42% Shoestring 28-30lb with a DLA 112 and 18x18 APC prop turning 9980 rpm. On the bench! Engine sounds awesome! I plan on flying this particular aircraft with this engine & prop combination on it very soon. I will keep you posted on the results and performance. I would be happy to answer any other questions related to this topic. E-mail me @ [email protected]

Sincerely Ibcinyou! (Mike)
St. Louis, Missouri
Old 04-19-2010, 11:57 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Do you want to sell the DLA that failed, I would like to see what failed in it.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:48 PM
edwal07

Ok I want to clarify, All I am is a older flyer with to much money, I obtained the engines through a mutual friend. all we did is mount the engines on a stand and fired them up and let them go. I wanted this to a be a test of ''the guy that is not an engineer and just a guy that wanted to try an experiment'' All I know is the DLA failed. My Friend took the engine and to work tore it apart and told what he found. All I know is the DLA failed. That is good enough for me to know that I don't want another. No Lab test, No Controled enviroment. Just two old guys trying to see if one would fail or not. One did fail. End of story. My Firend attempted to contact the distributor and he was told to contact the factory. We are two old vets that don't really give a crap. Just all we know is the DLA FAILED. Ebnd of story. I wish we would of just left it alone now. We got the idea sitting around with the weather not good enough to fly. as ofr 105 flights. The engine never left the ground. THe DLE has since been nounted and continues to perform. Sorry I'm not a lab expert. Make your evaluation.

I will now un suscribe
I have only a few things I would like to address. In my earlier post I talked about break-in. In the bold above, in my experience (over 45yrs) with gas, diesel, racing engines, .049 to 24cyl big boys, you NEVER start em up and let em go. I know those who have and paid the price! Sounds familiar!
Maybe the DLA had closer tolerences, ie: ring gap, bearing preload. These need to be thoroughly broken in to achieve a long dependable life. If a piston ring has a narrow gap when new, as heat builds up in the head and piston area everything expands and being dissimiliar metals expands at different rates. ie: steel ring, aluminum piston and head. In a new state nothing has completely sealed or mated. Even though they are run at the factory, they still need a time of break in. Start, idle till up to temp, then increasing throttle to mid-range for 10 to 15 secs and then the same amount of rest back at idle. After 10 or 15 min. you can then go to full throttle for a short time then back to idle. Do this for a couple tanks of fuel, let it cool down between tanks. Above all keep it rich, do not start tweaking on the needles trying to get the highest rpm possible. With a new engine the head and cyl temps will go thru the roof, remember, you don't get as much air over the fins as when its in the air. After a gallon your engine will be happy to get a little tweek or two, but stay rich when you fly. At least 5 or more gallons before you tweek it till it screams, but it will be ready to do what you ask. I have had engines that took 10 gals to break in, you will notice they run better and better as you progress.
I have followed what I just wrote with all my engines, guess what? They continue to give me great performance, very little if any downtime. I started with .049s up to Fox .35s on control line, K&B .21 outboards on 50% YES I SAID 50% Nitro then 26 to 50cc gassers (have a 100cc coming) and enjoyed each and everyone. I also build and repair heavy diesels. I am retired Air Force with alot of NDI testing, plus as a Foreign Vehicle Specialist worked on Russian vehicles. So I do have just a tad of experience. Break it in on 24-1 for a few gallons, go to 32-1 for a few gallons, then 40-1 synthetic. Whatever your engine calls for. But the first few minutes of its life should never be, "start it up and let it go."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.