Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

EDF jet motors

Old 04-19-2010, 09:28 AM
blkz2801

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDF jet motors

Im trying to research what kind of EDF motors i can use for EDF fans and I am getting frustrated. Ultimately i want speed. With that being said, what motors should I be looking at from Hobby King or any motor in general. KV rating? Please help, I just dont understand.....
Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: EDF jet motors

Yea, help me out too. Heard a lot of negatives about low powered ARFs.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Gikks

I have purchased and used several inrunner rc motors from shenzhen lander technology co. and Ihave been having a lot of problems with them. The rc aircraft configuration has two of these motors driving ducted fans and each time Ifly one of the engines brakes. Here is a link to the website with the ducted fan setup:
http://www.rclander.com/default.aspx...b-4aa817d6a7e0
Iwas wondering if anyone else was having trouble with these motors or had any suggestions on what could be causing them to brake to easily. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 PM
mark_d

Picking a motor needs to start with the fan you intend to use.  Once you know the fan and figure out the model you want to run it in research the fan unit on forums and find the power required to give you at least 75% thrust to weight.  You can go a little less for planes with lower wing loadings and need to go higher for more heavily loaded ones. (think A-10 vs. F-104)
The trickiest thing about EDFs is you can't adjust just select a different pitch or diameter to match your requirements, you have to match your power system to the fan in increments of cell voltage.  for instance; say you have a 64mm fan with a 4000kv motor that pulls 25 amps on 3S and 40 amps on 4s, if the plane needs 300 watts to fly  and the motor can only handle 30 amps you can't use that motor on this setup.  You will need to either get a motor with the same Kv and a higher maximum amp draw (heavier) or a higher Kv for use on 3s or a lower kv on 4s. 

A word about motor selection;  in general heavier handles more power (wattage);  outrunners have better cooling so handle more watts per unit weight;  higher Kv motors handle higher amps but higher voltage is more efficient.

Test your fan setup on the ground to be sure what it will do.  flying by at 100+ mph is a bad time to find out your setup is cooking your ESC.  Test your setup on the ground by using a wattmeter and an IR temp meter or temp probe.  run up the motor and check your readings to make sure your within reasonable parameters.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:32 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

you need to give some details first. Mark gave you some good info, but if you want specifics, provide us with what fan, craft ect....
Old 04-26-2010, 10:07 AM
topgun600
My Feedback: (41)

If you are looking for speed and thrust on a 3s or 4S battery for either a 64mm fan or a 70mm fan Hoffman Magnetic Mighty mite or Beast EDF motor. The Mighty Mite is rated at 2.2LBS of thrust with a castle 60amp esc.The beast is over 4lbs with a 100amp esc. I have both motors in stock www.ascforithobbies.com
NOTE I'M MAKING KILLER DEALS ON THESE RIGHT NOW
Old 04-27-2010, 12:48 AM
mark_d

$79.00 is a deal?  $199 for a 70mm fan and motor?
you can get the equivlent motor to the mightty might for way less than 79 and a Wemo minifan and a Nue motor to fit it would be less and a lot better  than the Hoffman  Beast. 

You might want to check out this thread before buying one too.  Hoffman is out of the RC business.

Since your a vendor you really should have it listed on your signature.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:54 AM
topgun600

Mark D Im selling my remaining stock of Hoffman motors the beast is 65 shipped, mighty mite 60 shipped I would say those are killer deals!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:15 AM
mark_d

Okay, that's not what your website says.  Don't you think selling a discontinued product to a noob without mentioning it is unethical?  
Yes those are killer deal though, especially on the Beast.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:19 AM
topgun600

Mark D just because a product is discontinued does not make the product no good Hoffman went out of the RC business from the economy not because they built junk motors. what is unethical about selling out my stock. the man asked for a killer speed that is not junk! and these are brand new in the box!!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:27 AM
blkz2801

Ive heard nothing but good things about these motors. Its just alittle out of my price range. Broke military guy
Old 04-28-2010, 12:37 AM
mark_d

There is nothing wrong with selling out your stock but a noobie won't know they're out of prodiction and they would be the most likely to need replacement parts. They are good quality but not worth anywhere near the MSRP. The competition is fierce right now with good quality outrunner EDF motors coming out of China for 1/5 the price.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:06 AM
topgun600

MarkD you get what you pay for you want a edf motor for 10 bucks you gonna get about that much performance, you wanna scream through the sky it cost$$$ no matter if it electric or nitro or turbine far as parts you burn a edf motor I dont care if there in business or not there gonna tell you sorry pal you did it's not our fault.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:09 PM
mark_d

Have you tried any of the chaper alternatives?  topgun600  too bad that's not the truth, you don't always get what you pay for.  I have several of the cheap motors and they work fine and will perform The equal of Hoffman; they're not on par with a Nue but neither is the Hoffman.  Nue will stand behind his and rebuild it for a reduced cost even if it is your fault. 
The main point is that outrunners can easily be repaired if parts are available for purchase which is not the case with a discontinued product.

The motors I'm talking about are herehere and here.