Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4 upgrade question

Old 03-23-2010, 04:19 PM
weskel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 upgrade question

Hey guys,

I have a Futaba 9CAP and have loved it since the day I bought it, but would like to buy a 2.4 module for it.

Should I bite the bullet and pay the hefty price for Futaba or should I buy a Spektrum module?

The thing I am looking at is I can save alot of money if I go with the Spektrum (probably enough for a new plane), but I have lost to many good airplanes to faulty equipment over the years.

I dont want to go cheap but that is a substansial savings.

I fly fixed wing aircraft only in the mideum to large size, the largest being a 1/4 scale cub with a gasser in it.

I hope you experts can help me out, I want to buy one in the next week or so.

Thanks for the input,

Weskel
Old 03-23-2010, 04:22 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 341 Likes on 273 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 upgrade question

They are both good systems and both work.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weskel, take a look at the 10C before you make the jump.Iwas looking at the cost to go to 2.4 this last summer. I priced a Futaba module for the 9C, and the price of two receivers (the 14 and 7 channels that were on special at the time). The 9C 2.4 module plus the two receivers was only $50 less than the 10C with the same receivers. At the time, the 10C was still modular, so I can still use my 72mhz stuff, including the 9CRFmodules with the 10C. I'm happy with my jump. The math might not be there today, but it was then.

The big price tag for 2.4 is the receivers. I fly bigger planes, so the cheaper park flyer stufff won't work. Also, you have to match the Reciver to the TX or RFmodule. There are no cross brand setups that Iknow of. Each brand uses it own protocall.

Don
Old 03-24-2010, 12:03 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Actually, weskel, you might want to consider Hitec for your 2.4Ghz upgrade:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXCZ2&P=0

The Hitec Spectra 2.4Ghz RF Module is compatible with most modern Futaba transmitters with a removable RF deck, including your 9CAP. Extra receivers are considerably less expensive than those compatible with Spektrum or Futaba 2.4Ghz modules.

The Optima 6 2.4Ghz receiver is a full range, 6-channel unit sold everywhere for $49.99. The Optima 7 is commonly sold for $69.99 and the Optima 9 receiver is typically priced at $99.99.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Grampaw

After reading Weskel's query about getting a 2.4 module conversion in his Futaba, plus the replies on
same pushed me to jump in with a query of my own. After we moved into our new home and began
unpacking all the moving crates, I found a 5 Ch. Ace Olympic V Transmitter, Ch. 48, 72.75, (the one with the Single Stick for Rudder and Ailerons.) I had completely forgotten having it, and flying with it!
Opening the TX case I found it to be immaculate inside. The Battery is missing, but taped in there was a date in my hand, "July 14, 1996." That triggered memories of having sent it to Ace, most likely for a Check up and perhaps to get a "Gold Sticker" Update. There is a Gold Sticker on top of the case with "R/CMA, AMA RF CHECK, and the date 02 on it. I probably wanted to start using it again??
Once I found it I began thinking of getting it back in Flying condition, but with some new "Innards."
Then I saw Weskel's Post the brain cells began to churn. Is it possible I may be able to install a 2.4
Module in my Ace, or have it done? Any advice would be appreciated as the 2.4 arena is a totally Greek subject with me. I had and flew a Heath SS for many years, (and evidently this ACE for a time also,) and it would be a kick to get back to SS again. Is is it possible? And for the heck of it, what kind of expense may be involved? Whadda y'all think? Grampaw.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:29 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

You can install 2.4 in almost any transmitter if it has a separate RF chassis. Most of them do.
ASSAN at HobbyCity.com makes a hack module that can be connected to the trainer port. Then you remove the RF chassis. If it does not have a separate RF chassis just remove the crystal.
The ASSAN module sells for $100 with two receivers. Extra receivers are less than $30.
If you don't want to buy Chinese, XPS has a hack module for the Multiplex EVO that can be installed if you are handy. It costs about $200 with only one receiver.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:56 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Unless the Ace has a removable Tx Module (and if memory serves I don't think it did) you would have to have the entire RF section changed out and converted to 2.4. Is it possible? call Radio South and ask them they should know.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:27 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

You do not have to remove the RF components. Just disable them by removing the crystal.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:27 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

The ACE Olympic has a separate RF deck mounted to the top of the case.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:47 PM
flicka5

The Olympic Tx. is an easy 2.4 conversion as I did on my vintage ACE last week with the Corona DIY conversion kit for $28.00 plus shipping. The old RF deck was removed completely to make room for the new 2.4 binding switch and lamp. Attached two images show the simple conversion. The only complaint is the need to mess around manually with the throttle and throttle trim pots and their respective arms to zero the ESC position for zero throttle at end of idle trim travel. The reason why they invented computer control digital adjustment in the first place!
Flicka5
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62477.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1426553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49853.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1426554  
Old 04-28-2010, 05:52 AM
Franco2fly

I think we are gonna be having this discussion for the next couple of years.  I labored over the decision for about a month, and for each individual you're gonna have to create a check list in order to see what fits best.  Here's a sample of my own:

With just 2 hobby shops in the region, which brands are in the two stores?  Answer in my case Spectrum and Futaba only
What planes will be mostly used?   Answer in my case  6 or 7 electrics, 3 or 4 sports gassers 6lbs to 9 lbs
How much do addition receivers cost, can they be swapped easily?  Answer  Spektrum  has best range of cost to function Rx's
Features, which Tx has the featurs that I like best?   Answer...  it was close, but in my price range Spektrum won this
Button'ology  Which Tx is easier to program ?  Toss up, slight edge to Spektrum.

I suppose you could expand on this list, but do yourself a favor and create one  then go to a store and handle the product.

KKKKFL
Old 05-01-2010, 01:45 PM
flicka5

ORIGINAL: flicka5

The Olympic Tx. is an easy 2.4 conversion as I did on my vintage ACE last week with the Corona DIY conversion kit for $28.00 plus shipping. The old RF deck was removed completely to make room for the new 2.4 binding switch and lamp. Attached two images show the simple conversion. The only complaint is the need to mess around manually with the throttle and throttle trim pots and their respective arms to zero the ESC position for zero throttle at end of idle trim travel. The reason why they invented computer control digital adjustment in the first place!
Flicka5
An update is I now have 5 or 6 flights on the Ace Olympic/Corona 2.4 conversion and it works flawlessly in the air with no glitches. It also binds instantly!
All positive at this point for a minimum price!
Flicka5
Old 05-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I just came from the local hobby shop where I was discussing my options for converting my 9C to 2.4. I was told there is FASST, Spectrum, and now Hitec. Is the Hitec module actually compatible with the 9C? I'm having a hard time finding definitive answers one way or the other, though biged's reply above (post 4) seems pretty certain of it.

If it isn't I suppose I'll go with the FASST setup, though I'm not sure which one yet. I don't want to lose too much functionality of the 9C and limit myself with the TM-7, but if I'm being honest with myself I've never even needed 7 channels let alone 8, so I might as well go with it and save the 100 bucks by getting that instead of the TM-8.

On top of that, if I were to get the TM-8, is it compatible with all FASST receivers or will I need the exact 8 channel receiver? At 50 bucks a pop over the 7 channel (and 80 more than the 6 channel ones), it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have to throw those in all of my 4 channel airplanes. It seems like even if I do get the TM-8, as long as I can use the 6 channel receivers they would cover just about all of my planes for much cheaper.

Anyway at this point I'm just trying to educate myself on what the options are and what is compatible with what. I've been fighting this conversion for long enough, and it's time to embrace the technology and ditch the frequency pins.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:07 PM
MikeMayberry

Yes, the Hitec AFHSS system is 100% compatilbe with the 9C. If you only need 6 channels the best value is the module w/(2) Optima 6 RX combo for around $115.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXCY8&P=7

Mike.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Franco2fly

I had the same multi-aircraft dilemma.  Many 3 and four channel planes, most with older analog Futaba servos.  That drove me into Spektrums line.  Plus, and I say this advisedly, I was told that Airtronics 8000 would not work with the old servos.  Don't know about backwards compatibility for Futaba's 2.4 line, but I was not going to replace 20 or 30 servos to make the switch.  The AR500 rx is only 40 bucks, its full range and fills the bill for most of my aircraft.

KKKKFL
Old 05-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Auburn02

So if I got the Hitec 7 channel module, would I have to use the 7 channel receivers on all planes? Meaning I couldn't use the less expensive 6 channel receivers if I had the 7 channel module?

And I didn't know anything about the 2.4 modules not being compatible with certain servos. I wonder if the Hitec module has an issue with those as well. I have a lot of Futaba and Hitec analog servos in my planes, in fact in 8 planes and one helicopter, I might have 5 digital servos.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Auburn02

For another bit of fuel for my research fire, I just thought about the fact that eventually I am possibly going to want (or NEED) to replace my transmitter. And since I'll probably want to stick with Futaba as Futaba is all I know, I could see a 10C or other such in my distant future, which would be incompatible if all I have is Hitec receivers. In other words, if I go the money saving route now, then if/when the day comes whether it's 2 months or 2 years from now that I need to replace my 9C, I'll pretty much be forcing myself to get a new Hitec transmitter (or hunt down another used 9C). Not so sure I like the sound of that.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:45 PM
MikeMayberry

The Hitec module is compatible with the Optima 6, 7 & 9 CH RX's as well and any servo, and is also compatible with the 10C if it is the moduled version; I will offer that the Hitec Aurora 9 is far more capable and it sells for $200 to boot, but that's another subject!

Mike.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Auburn02

Hey thanks Mike, that's the kind of definitive answers I like! And to be quite honest I didn't know the 10C was moduled at all, I had kind of assumed since it came out in the 2.4 age that it may have been built with 2.4 from the start, thus not having a need for a module.