Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Newbie with a new toy..!!!.Couple of questions..

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Newbie with a new toy..!!!.Couple of questions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:07 PM
delorean123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with a new toy..!!!.Couple of questions..

Hi all.....Just bought a T-Maxx 2.5...and had a quick couple of questions for the group...
The T-Maxx is like new shape...It has had 9 full tanks of fuel through it since new,,(Including break in procedure)....It's on it's way to Canada from Texas...So I'm anxious to receive it..In the mean time...I was wondering how quick this truck is..??..I have never seen a T-Maxx 2.5 in action..!!
Will it wheelie....??.....Is it a good basher truck..??...Any immediate upgrades required..??...How well do the clutch's hold up..??..(I own the TNX 5.2R monster truck and it eats clutch's)......How would you guys compare the 2 trucks..??
Is the 3.3 a good upgrade..??..I mean..do I actually need to upgrade to enjoy this truck..??
Sorry for all the stupid questions....But.....I'm very curious on what I just purchased..and thought I'd ask the experts..!!
Thanks in advance...
Jamie
Any other info or advice would be greatly appreciated...
Cheers
Old 03-31-2010, 01:04 PM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie with a new toy..!!!.Couple of questions..

I have one and it does 38 MPH. It will not wheelie, or at least Mine won't. The 3.3 is a good upgrade but I put an OS .18 in mine and it is real quick.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:09 PM
delorean123

I'm surprised it won't do a wheelie...It comes with a wheelie bar..???..Wonder why then.??
My TNX can't keep the front tires on the ground..!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 04:05 PM
snipermaster
My Feedback: (19)

mine wheelies all the time, but i also have an sirio 18tx in it too. and mine is only 2wd as well. but before you go spending like $150 for a traxxas motor you can go buy an sirio 18tx from a site for only $90 (will have to find it again) and that to me is a better deal then the traxxas motors for more.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:24 AM
cmaxx25r

upgrades may need for a tmaxx after using it would be a set of aluminum bulkheads , cause over time you will jump ,roll, run into something that pushes your arms back snapping the plastic composite bulkheads, aluminium bulkhead will never have to replace them..running FLM (fastlane machine) on mine..the stock shocks that come on tmaxx will over time bend or leak, I have Integy MSR5 piggy shocks and work great , somepeople say replace the smallstock air filter with a motor saver fliter,my friend has one on his and seem to work,I havent used onepersonally but I guess it works,, may seem craybut a air breather from aauto parts store probably does the same as any other air filter..I think the sponge air filter just smuthers the motor acts like a choke I may be wrongon that little theory. but the 2.5and 3.3 suck in alot of air.. and if the motors are anything like a car motor moreair is less heat and stress on the motor at higher temps. IF the trucks not doing wheelies gear it down or lean it out little bit , too rich bogging the throttle response.. hopefully this helps some..
Old 05-03-2010, 03:00 AM
cmaxx25r

T-maxx and TNX from tamiya are two different trucks tmaxx is 1/10 scale to were tamiya is 1/8 scale and its a big blockTNX 5.2 .32  to a 2.5 or even a .20 3.3 a better comparison would be a Revo or a savage  in 1/8 scale.. If you are just starting out tmaxx would be a good starter truck to get in the hobby , some of you may argue is but you dont have the luxury of a EZ starter with a TNX for a begginers point of view.. charge your glow bug ignitor  and blister from a pullstarter can be a pain..Tmaxx would be plenty fast , if not  they make a three speed conversion that they claim can take the tmaxx into the 50's but with proper gear set up , your tmaxx can do 50's I have an older tmaxx with black  transmission with foward only conversion, geared low, so it shifts within about 50 feet... everyone has there preference what they like ,, I never had my maxx clocked but i dont want to be in way when its going fast , I like my ankles/shins
Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Snook Man

Depending on the gear ratio you run 35-40 MPH.

Some 2.5 T Maxx’s will wheelie on occasion most will not unless it’s a bump wheelie.

A lot depends on the suspension setup, gear ratio you run and traction.

With a few upgrades (aluminum bulks, aluminum chassis braces and shocks) it is a decent basher.

The stock clutch holds up well with the 2.5 engine.

If you install the 3.3 the 2.5 drive train will suffer and inevitably need upgraded as well.

You don’t need the 3.3 to enjoy the truck.

My advice is to upgrade parts as you break them. If in doubt of the upgrade part just ask before you purchase.

Stay away from air filters not designed for nitro engines…1:1 air breathers are not designed for nitro engines.

The stock 2.5 Maxx did not come with a wheelie bar; it was installed as an add-on.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:25 PM
dspaeth4

do you have the 18/72gearing in it?
Old 05-03-2010, 03:00 PM
delorean123

If that's the stock gearing...Then Yes....The whole motor/trans/drivetrain are stock....I have only upgraded the arms/bulkheads/bumpers/...
Old 05-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Snook Man

20/72 is stock gearing.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:30 PM
delorean123

Ok..then that's what I have...
Old 05-03-2010, 06:50 PM
rooker
My Feedback: (1)

I have a 2.5r in my maxx. Not sure the exact differences in the racing 2.5 and a regular 2.5.  The owner of LHS says only cooling head?  I am not the tuning expert, I like to run mine a bit rich, but mine will do wheelies if you catch it just right.  I have really enjoyed my truck.  I am having a issue with shifting into 2nd gear now.  It is plenty of fast for me with 1 gear!!!!  I know it will blow the body off of my little girl's Acme with a sh 18 engine.

Like Snook said, upgrade when it breaks, unless you have too much money??  Show us pics when you get it.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:36 PM
dug44
My Feedback: (2)

The owner of the lhs is right... a blue cooling head. That's the only difference....
Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 PM
cmaxx25r

rooker- the difference in the 2.5 and the 2.5R is the ports in the sleeve and I believe the RPM's are higher, yes the cosmetics of the cooling head is blue like the 3.3 head,,2.5R head may be oversized little bit compared to 2.5to cool faster,,I have the 2.5R in my s-maxx/ Tmaxx truck and it starts and runs everything,

im also running a Dynamite pipe they say it gives more torque through the full range,, seems to have more punch then the stock 2.5. Im waiting on some FLM parts bulks arms motor mounts for my maxx truck ordered directly,, sadly the lady says there on back order guess the demand is bigger then what a cnc machine can chew ..I have a question what does everyone thing of RD logics parts like chassis and meterial they use?? curious on what everyones 2 cents is???
Old 05-03-2010, 09:44 PM
dug44

the difference in the 2.5 and the 2.5R is the ports in the sleeve and I believe the RPM's are higher, yes the cosmetics of the cooling head is blue like the 3.3 head,,2.5R head may be oversized little bit compared to 2.5??????????

when you get the piston and sleeve, they ask you for a 2.5 or a 3.3........ no?

Old 05-04-2010, 07:23 AM
only1battman

If it is not doing wheelies after you leaned it out then check the slipper clutch nut, it may be loose and when you hammer the throttle to do a wheelie it may be slippin like it is supposed to but of course you dont want it to.  you will want to tighten it down all the the way then back it off 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn, that will be the best setting.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:34 PM
dug44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPfLk_vQvoU

this kid has a 2.5 in his, be patient and watch for the power....
Old 05-04-2010, 06:49 PM
rooker

I need that kid to come tune my tmaxx 2.5r!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 PM
dug44

lol, he is right on!!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Snook Man

If you pause the vid at a few opportunistic locations the engine appears to be a 3.3 to me.It also has the front center shaft removed, most likely the front diff and wheel shafts as well making it an <place>S Maxx</place>.  Which will very easily pop a wheelie.
A stock 2.5R will not snap the front up like that  in a T Maxx unless geared way down.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:31 PM
only1battman

No offense to that kid but he has super bad luck cuz he breaks stuff every 5 mins. and he isnt that great of a driver. but that is my opinion (so dont judge me)
Old 05-04-2010, 07:48 PM
rooker

I wonder what his gearing is if it is a 2.5
Old 05-05-2010, 11:18 PM
HHOTek

I have a bone stock 2.5 TMAXX and it has had at least 8ish gallons of fuel run through it and it will stand up to the point i added weight to the front to keep it down BUT i did treat the motor with XADO which makes alot of difference.

You can learn a little more about XADO here http://hhotek.com/products_auto_xado.php
Old 05-06-2010, 05:33 PM
dug44

XADO? And is this a fuel additive? What's that go for?
Old 05-06-2010, 05:38 PM
HHOTek

XADO is an engine treatment my company sells to fleet cars and trucks.  but is tried some in my tmaxx and the results were very impressive.

www.hhotek.com/xado.php for more details

its cheap and 1 tube will last forever in a  small rc engine. 

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.