Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What pinion to use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:14 AM
breezerboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What pinion to use?

I have the Hyper 10SC. with the HV4.5 motor. The 14T pinion seems to make it run a little hot. What do you recomend?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 AM
ludeman

Default RE: What pinion to use?

I have the Hyper10 with HV 4.5 as well. Im using the stock 14t pinion and even here in Palm Desert its already getting hot outside but after a full pack my temps are only about 130f. What are your temps after running?
You are only running 2s right?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:51 AM
sammich

ORIGINAL: breezerboat

I have the Hyper 10SC. with the HV4.5 motor. The 14T pinion seems to make it run a little hot. What do you recomend?
DROPPING DOWN IN PINIONS UNTIL IT DOESN'T RUN HOT. SIMPLE
Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 AM
breezerboat

^^ thank you. How much speed will I lose going down from a 14T to a 13T?

I am really a nitro guy. This is my first Electric.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Electric or Nitro, gearing works the same. Now going from 14t to a 13t pinion really will not be a noticeable difference, but if you do the math it'll be about 7%-8% slower, but inversely have that much more torque, which *should* relieve some load on the motor and reduce the temperatures.

However do keep in mind, that free revving an electric motor (brushless usually) at WOT at relatively high voltage or for that matter underloading one is supposed to heat them up as well. That means if you go down in pinion size and almost to the point of the smallest possible, and the motor heats up even worse... you know the motor is not running with any kind of real load on it. What that means is you'll notice your motor top out in like 2 seconds and your truck will move pretty slow (it will have butt load of truck-pulling torque though...). Just a little reminder.

But yes try a pinion 1-2t smaller and see if that helps. I'm assuming this is the HV Maxx 4.5 motor, so I'm a little surprised it would heat up running in a 1/10th 2wd truck, unless the internal gearing is taller than I am aware of.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 AM
ludeman

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

I'm assuming this is the HV Maxx 4.5 motor, so I'm a little surprised it would heat up running in a 1/10th 2wd truck, unless the internal gearing is taller than I am aware of.
The Hyper 10sc is 4x4
Old 05-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Slo-V Flyer

I stand corrected, however I'm surprised it's overheating (if it really is) in that, when it's designed for an Emaxx and other heavy trucks. Well actually, we don't know what temperature the motor really is running, so maybe the OP can get back to us about that. What feels hot to our finger tips may just be 130-140*F, which is OK.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:07 PM
breezerboat

It's actually not the motor that felt hot. It's the speed controller. It was hot to my touch. Too hot to keep my finger on it for more than a second or half second. How hot is too hot for the speed control?
Old 05-04-2010, 12:09 PM
ludeman

Yeah Im suprised as well because I have the same truck and after a full run mine is only 130 or so.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:26 PM
genitor

What esc are you using?
and what batteries?
Old 05-04-2010, 12:46 PM
breezerboat

ESC is an LRP SXX
Battery is a Hyperion 2S 5000mah
Old 05-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Slo-V Flyer

I'm not familiar with that ESC, but a general question, do you often drive at mid and low throttle? Usually driving at WOT or close to it will under normal situations keep the ESC cooler, while low throttle driving (most of the time) will tend to heat the ESC up a bit more.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 PM
breezerboat

^^ really? I would have thought the opposite. I just race it at my local track, and I am not used to the truck yet, so I am not using WOT that much.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Yeah I don't know the exact technical reasons but it has to with the ESC running more efficiently when close to full throttle. I experience this myself with some brushless setups of mine when they are too fast to drive at WOT, so after a few minutes of driving around at low throttle the ESC heats up even if the motor is just getting warm.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:58 AM
etaeniura

how much airflow is your esc getting? You may want to try opening up the back end of the body to let heat out, or open the front to let more cool air in. In that case, driving at higher speeds will help cool the esc more as more air will flow over the heatsinks. trying to keep dirt and grime out while letting air in can be a little tricky.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:49 AM
ludeman

I fan on your ESC goes a long way in keeping things cool, That said is your truck stopping on you in middle of a run (thermal shut down)?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:39 PM
breezerboat

No, it has never stopped in a run. I really need to take a temp gun out next time and test it.