Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Four engine model

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Terror Dactyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Four engine model

ORIGINAL: twinman

BillS
Saw your idea on the four engine Pheonix.
Check the picture attached. Something like that??? The plane weighs 6.5 pounds empty,,four .32's?? or LA 40's??
The nacelles can be moved in and glued closer, but the original screws for mounting will not have much to grab...Uh..If you cut into the wing..under the nacelle mount, where could not be seen, you could install blind nuts inside the wing, bolt and glue then!! Mmmm
Twinman
PS,,no, at this time building as twin, but...

http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...73/Om33706.jpg
I notice that you did not say anything at the time or I would have tried to get you to try a twin BV-141B which have meant the elevator would have to be offset to about 75-80% on the opposite side of the rudder from the engines

but you could still do it on the latest bird you are doing???
Old 01-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Terror Dactyl,
My goodness man...change you brand of beer. I gatta see this....photo's please.
Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 01-23-2007, 04:30 AM
stewaustralia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Bob i supose you are talking to me down here in Australia, i am just finding my way with using this chat room so i will try to get a photo on here of my tripple engine, it is not designed on any real plane but i imagine it to be a unlimited racing class plane built for speed but it will look prity silly if it only goes slow when i eventually do fly it. for a few more photos look at my galery i just put them there today.[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90285.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	604781  
Old 01-23-2007, 04:36 AM
Bob Paris

stewaustralia,
I have to admit I had no idea what your new model would look like...but once I took a good look at your new model...I must admit...though very unusual in layout...it looks like it's gonna work just fine. Starting that rear engine may be a little interesting...but I would love to see the finished product. Keep me posted...

Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 01-23-2007, 04:41 AM
stewaustralia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK the photo worked. I have the 2 engines off the frount at the moment as the engine mounts broke when i test taxied it so i am making 2 new much beafier mounts and will have it back together in a couple of days. the wing extensions are not made yet as i want to get all the bugs out of this lot first and there are a few. 93cc combined engine power is orsome and more than a little scary?
Old 01-23-2007, 07:07 AM
Trundle

93cc in a model that size is both awesome and scary! I don't think you'll have to worry about that thing going slow!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Terror Dactyl

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris

Terror Dactyl,
My goodness man...change you brand of beer. I gatta see this....photo's please.
Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
I was basing the jibe on the M.A.N. construction article where Nick Ziroli did a BV-141B. Blhom und Voss were on some really good stuff with some of the birds they came up with. The 141 had everything off center lines. The wing layout was screwy, fuse was off to the left and an observation pod was off to the right while the elevator was offset even farther to the left in the fuse.

Yes it was a production bird but none were salvaged after the war.

I have the M.A.N. plans and upsizing it another 50% will make it 82" wingspan

One of these days I will build it, retirement is only a few years away.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:57 AM
Sir Fliesalot
My Feedback: (2)

Electric is the ultimate for multi's . Yes the initial outlay of cash hurts a bit but the payoff in smiles and confidence while flying are priceless. Consider this- Instant on of all four motors, very low idle, never do you need to tune a motor, never need to sync a motor, never worry about an engine out, lots of power for the size and weight, can turn a bigger prop, the balance doesn't change during flight, need more power?, add cells, motors fit in small cowls and nothing sticking out, no need to fuel proof. Need I say more?

My B-24 is a joy to fly and I can only imagine the nightmare it would be if I had four .25's turning small props.

Mark

b24project.com

Name:	Us53159.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	610581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15578.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	610582  
Old 01-31-2007, 11:37 AM
ps2727

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, Mark that looks nice. How 'bout some more info on it!
Paul
Old 01-31-2007, 02:04 PM
Sir Fliesalot
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Paul,

Weighs 20 lbs ready to fly, 110" wingspan built from Palmer plans, with 4 x AXI 2820/12 motors, 4 x CC45 ESC's, 4 x PQ-4000SP-3S Batteries, 3 blade graupner 10/7 props, one set in each nacelle. Cost around $1200 for the power system. $500 for the batteries. Around 250 watts each and that setup pulls her around no problem for about 10 min., I fly for 6 min timed and then set up for landing which gives me 4 min of reserve power for go arounds if needed. Takes off in about 200' which is impressive in it's self to see how fast it accelerates. It's wonderful to not worry about the motors. All the info you could want plus video of the flights on my build web site at www.b24project.com.

We need more multi's in the air!

Mark
Old 04-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Yury

I did it.[sm=cool.gif]
[link=http://rutube.ru/tracks/3192913.html?v=706d74d239deaad31ef0069e74ff43a2]maiden fly 4x4[/link]
Old 05-05-2010, 12:52 AM
ps2727

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations Yury, it looks nice, and the sound!!!
Paul
Old 05-05-2010, 02:03 AM
Bob Paris

Hay Yury,
Nice flight and airplane. Four engines sure sound wonderful to the ears don't they. I just finished a three engine ugly stick...came out to ten pounds and flys on three MECOA .32's. Yes...multi engine R/C aircraft take time to set up and to build. But the pay off is in the flying and the joy of having accomplished something quite unusual.

Now...what is next on your building board... ?

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Name:	Ki19249.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	1431053  
Old 05-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Yury

Hay Bob.
Nice looking plane.
My one weights 4800 grams - a few heavy as your one.
Engines are Magnum 30 four strokes.
Mine is combined old F3A plane, 60 size(modified fus and fin+rudder) and GP Extra 60 (wing -enlarged span on one section, each side).
I had to spend last Sunday to setup engines and engine's servos.
There were a lot of spectacular on maiden fly.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Bob Paris

Hi Yury,
Yes...it did take some time to set up my engines so all worked in unison. I ended up using two servo's to run all three engines, with one for the wing pylon engines and one in the fuse. I made special hatches to get into the wing and do any repair or fixes to the wing engine servo too, and it was worth all the work. My model is so fast, it was a surprise, for at ten pounds, it was no light weight. I needed to add a bit of weight to the tail, and I ended up placing a fuse access hatch aft of the wing and installing a large five cell Ni-Cad to help the balance. I used 9x5 wood propellers first and then went over to 9x6...the props recommended for the engines. The 9x6 made the model even faster... : ) ... but I ended up going to 9x7 three bladed props to slow the aircraft down enough to land it. I had so much residual thrust at idle with the 9x5 & 9x6 props, I was not able to land it until the engines started to run out of glow fuel. I have now set up my Tx that at full down throttle, the out board two engines quit running and the center engine continues to operate. The model will fly on one engine well enough to land safely. My center engine has the largest fuel tank...and I ended up beefing up the landing gear to handle the 10 pounds of airframe. It handles the wind well and very solid in the air. All Ugly Stick type models fly well...and this one holds true to the type.

Because I mounted my engines horizontal, and with the props so close to the glow plugs, I mounted remote glow head assemblies on all three engines.

The hump near the center of the top of the wing, is the fairing I made for the out board engine servo. I mounted the servo flush with the top, underside of the wing, so I could mount Dubro Easy connectors to the enigne servo arm.

If you would send me a P.M. with your address, I would love to send you a few American model airplane magazines.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Name:	Qn38495.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1431515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12311.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1431516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80549.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	1431517  
Old 05-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Yury

Hi Bob,
I did not try to turn engine into unison. Each engine was turned to its own optimum.
For throttle I use 4 separate servos in one channel.
Now I have one fly only and I don't have full opinion about fly ability of the model. Than I flow it seems that its slowly flying model but it seems too speedy on video.
I have 9x6 props now but I thinking to try 9x7 after convenient with the model. Now the thrust is a little bigger as weight model but two central engines aren't broken fully yet.
Thank for the magazines. I studied English reading such magazine. I was a seaman and bought such magazines in Canada.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Bob Paris

Hi Yury,
You misunderstood my procedure for setting up my engines. What I do first is, tune each engine to run its best...by itself. I then set up the idle, so all engines idle the same...be consistent in the idle to each other, with RPM and transition to full power. I do not care if the top end is not the same...but I do want the idle to be rock solid and all of the engines running evenly. I usually set the idle cut off to be the same with all engines, so I can shut them down if needed, all together.

To me a reliable idle is most important in my multi engine R/C models. I want a consistent idle and thrust from my model so I can land it with more finesse. Just getting them down in one piece is enough...but with a consistent constant idle, you can do it almost each time you land. There is a lot of drag on most these type of models, so I always carry a bit of power in my landing approach.

Give me a few days to pack up the magazines...I'll let you know.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Yury

Thanks Bob.
I through look your message some time and understand clearly how and why you turn engines such way.
My two central Magnums have enough high idle yet. Now I don't know how my multy will land on four engines. My first landing was with out one engine.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Yury,
I mailed off your magazines today, airmail. I have no idea how long it will take to make it from Hawaii to St. Petersburg. Let me know when they arrive.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Yury

Thanks Bob.
Usually it takes around one month from USA to Russia.
I have one more fly on 4x4. 6 minutes in the air. I did not have any strength to have one more fly.