Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 06:22 AM
JIMF14D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

MadMax, Ihave followed this NZ guys testing for a while and Ithink he is pretty through and probably the best source of test data around. He has a real test set up and examines how the system works under specific conditions. Yes he makes some judement calls about the Rx BODA thing and the external TX RF lead but Idoubt most Hitec A9 owners consider those system details a big plus for the A9 but they work fine.

Funny, you rap him about his 9 channel Rx comment of being better without testing it. But a while back here you called the 9 channel Rx junk Ithink. Did you have any test results to back that up then or now. The 7 channel Rx seems to work fine. I know of no reason that the 9 channel would be not be better.

Hey in engineering there is an old saying: One test is worth more than 1000 opinions.

Ok back to waiting for my coupon Rxs.............................................

Jim D
Old 05-08-2010, 06:28 AM
JIMF14D

Mike, the new voltage high/low monitor functions sounds great. Can you give us any idea what the sample rate is for the down link data.

Also, besides having two antennas hanging out and 9 channels what is the major performance advantages of the 9 channel Rx? Are there two Rx hiding in there?

Thanks,
Jim D
Old 05-08-2010, 06:37 AM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

Yep ,...................... me too , waiting for my RX,s . It,s been a while now . You can buy them , and the coupon RX,s , haven,t been delivered [sm=confused.gif] I still have Warbirds , that are waiting to get into the air . One reason why I bought the A-9 was the price of the system and the price of the receivers . I,m expecting a big disappointment on the telemetry delivery . Tower has it in June , plus the hype of the delivery , I figure , hmmmmm,............. late August . Just hoping
Old 05-08-2010, 06:42 AM
Tcat1000
My Feedback: (34)

Hi.........Sent in my first coupon for the RX's on March 16th & the second one on March 26th. (Two systems) Nothing yet.

Flying season is here in Michigan! WAAAAAAA.............I want my receivers!

I guess that I can wait another few days as I just looked out the window & it is blowing at 30 + MPH, rain, snow flakes & 34 degrees!

Tcat
Old 05-08-2010, 06:46 AM
Michel

Hi

You,re weathers great.................................... trade ya
Old 05-08-2010, 06:48 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

Mike, the new voltage high/low monitor functions sounds great. Can you give us any idea what the sample rate is for the down link data.

Also, besides having two antennas hanging out and 9 channels what is the major performance advantages of the 9 channel Rx? Are there two Rx hiding in there?

Thanks,
Jim D
Data refresh is 2 cycles per second I believe.

Essentially none; the boards are identical in all the Optima RX's. Maybe I should start calling them TRX's since they are transceivers and not just receivers. Also note that the range is equal to and from so you will never fly out of range of the telemetry unless you fly out of range of the radio which could only be done with FPV.

I believe we just got a large shipment of Optima 7 TRX's so they should be shipping shortly. Sorry for the delay!

Mike.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:49 PM
wildhairman
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Brendan Lugo

ORIGINAL: GizmoMadMax

Folks, I had a strange glitch this eve???

Ok, I was setting up my new 9 channel optic 9 with my new A9. I binded it and it worked ok, as i exercised the rear servos split elevator & dual 'y' rudder.
I turned things on and off a few times, then on my last time, all of a sudden, the everything went into a uniform stepping motion and I lost all control. Everything or all the servo's all started stepping in one direction, step, step, step, step, step, then after all those methodical steps, it stopped and I got control back????

what the heck was that?

Setup, or rather this was a new setup.
No motor in the plane yet, just servo's...
the radio was hanging outside the plane.
The 9-channel antennas were hanging down and touching each other, while the antenna's were touching the wire going from the battery back to the receiver?
[:'(]

Thanks in advance

The only time I have seen the step, step, step movement from the servos is when my battery was low or not big enough for the load the servos were pulling. [sm=confused.gif]
I concur. I had that same behavior crop up on a different brand of 2.4GHz equipment. This was after I'd been flying the rig for over a year. One day it just started doing that step-step-step every time, at turn on. It took some experimenting with another Rx and another battery to figure it out. The battery checked good under load, but even fully charged the Rx would step the servos several times at turn on. Swapped out the Rx pack and it's worked fine ever since. I have no idea how or why that other battery started causing such behavior, but I disposed of that pack.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:57 PM
czaiss

There is something to note, as mike said the telemetry for the battery voltage is only returned every 0.5s and is probably heavily filtered to reduce eronious values, however an intermitent short or voltage drop would not be detected and if you think about the speed of digital electronics, if you drop the voltage below nominal for even 1ms you might start getting odd behavior. It might recover or it might lock up, requiring reboot which unfortunately takes more than 1ms. On top of it, the low voltage error may never be sent if the receiver has already lost power.

I have seen a number of pylon racers install large capacitors on their batteries, to help ensure continuous flow, especially since they try to fit the smallest batteries possible in the planes. Its also common practice in high speed digital electronics to place a capacitor right next to the power leads as close to the IC as possible to make up for the voltage dropof the supply lines during switching/transmitting etc. Although under normal cicumstances you probably shouldnt need to do this, but as chancho said, you have a lot of large servos, and relatively small wires supplying 1 to 3 amps for short bursts.
I'm not suggesting this is a great option, but it should be informative in understanding that what you see on the telemetry or the multimeter is not necessarily what happening, and that battery leads should be short, sized correctly for the current, and connections should be tight.

It does seem odd that you are reading a full 0.5V less out of the battery backer then the battery itself.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:32 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

I went back to page 65 of this thread to look at the list of upgrades for version 1.07. I thought these 2 bugs (read next paragraphs) were on the list but they weren't. I recalled that someone had already reported these bugs somewhere on this thread:

1. After binding and setup a model to an Rx in Normal Mode, I went back to rebind the same model for the same Rx at Normal Mode again. I loose my channel assignment settings. I had to go back and reassign the Aux channels again. And I had to setup NORMAL/REVERSE for lost channels again. However, the EPA and program mixes are still there. I would like to rebind my model on Normal Mode once in while when I see lots of radio traffic at the field, especially at large events.

2. If I want more than 1 model setup in Scan Mode, I will loose bind on the first model when I bind the second model. If I go back and bind the first model, I will loose bind on the second model. I can only have 1 model bind saved when in Scan Mode? How do I retain binding when have more than 1 model in Scan Mode?

Can someone run a check to confirm my sanity please? Oh, before you do, please save your models on your PC to be safe. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:40 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Received my coupon receivers today. My check was dated 3-15 so it was probably mailed on the 16th. I believe I will try one of them in a PZ Corsair and see how I like it.
Fred
Old 05-09-2010, 05:27 AM
JIMF14D

I see that Hitec charged my credit card Friday so Iguess my Rxs are on the way!
Old 05-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Michel

Hi

I soon as I seen youre post I checked mine ,[] , nope . Maybe if I wish harder
Old 05-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Tcat1000

I'm sorry, but I am wishing harder than you are! That means that I should get mine first! SORRY

Tcat
Old 05-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Born2Fly
My Feedback: (21)

Greetings,
I got my A9 and now I am finishing my PA Katana to install it. I only had a chance to fly my friend’s plane with A9 with the perfect result. Radio is great and my personal feeling that it performs better in term of speed and resolution then my F 9CAPs, it also very nice and smooth on the controls. Anyway, I read a lot of treads, articles, etc. for A9 and I think this is one is really a big hit. I did not see anything else (on RCU) that has more hits. One question, if I am flying electric setup and I do not have BEC on my ESC, is it ok to put y-connector and connect battery to SPC (to power receiver, or should I say transceiver) and to the batt port to power servos. Will it make sense?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Yes, very cool, Mike. Any idea on when 1.07 will be available??? The beeping is driving my dogs nuts (wife already there)....

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

The Optima RX's can pull a fair amount of current at start up... An old 4 cell 600Mah Nicad?!?!? I strongly believe it is the battery; charged doesn't mean a thing if it cant handle the load. Change the battery or use another battery in the SPC and I'll bet you a dollar the problem goes away. The antennas touching won't hurt a thing.

FYI: Here's a new feature in the upcoming V1.07 firmware. It allows you to select a custom low voltage alarm (per model) and logs the highest and lowest voltage realized during the flight. The advantage here is if you are powering your servos and the receiver together (no SPC) you will see how low the battery was under full load in flight. If you fly electric, you can tap power off the main flight battery to power the SPC (eliminating a brown out if the BEC sags) and then you can set a low voltage warning when the power pack got to a certain level.

I think it's way cool!

Also, at start up... you know how if you don't have the right model selected you have to say no, and then tap the model name to get to the select screen? Now just tap the model and it goes to the select screen making it easier to change models if the wrong one is selected.

There is also a mute function (You can have your wives send me a thank you card) and the ability to deactivate the throttle stick and/or condition warnings.

There's other stuff too but those are the things I like the most.

You like?

Mike
Old 05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
JIMF14D

Got my two coupon Rx today!
Each included a BODA mount with screws, some decals and a nice power connector with leads.

Iguess we should all take the hint and start using the SPC power input..............................

I noticed that a new A9 Tx only went for $284 with free shipping on Ebay over the weekend from Tom's RC. Not bad. Prices are easing a little Iguess.

Also a 2.4ghz A9 Tx module is bid up to $48 so far. So if you buy a combo pack of module and two 7 channel RXs for say $120 and sell the module for $48 you have two Rx for less than $40 each.

Jim D
Old 05-10-2010, 05:01 PM
tom3097
My Feedback: (2)

Well I've done a lot of reading before making a decision.I currently have a 72mhz 9303 and a DX7 but wanted to upgrade to a better 2.4 so I called my LHS and asked about a price and availability of it with the 7 channel receiver.He said he could have one by Friday and he would give it to me for 329.00.It's on it's way and it will be in a plane that night and weather permitting in the air Saturday.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:36 PM
JIMF14D

Great to see a guy who goes for the good stuff quickly. Great price, you will love the A9.
Good luck with it!

Jim D
Old 05-10-2010, 07:47 PM
20/20 Hindsight
My Feedback: (1)

Two Optima 7 TRX installation kits in today's Priority Mail, from coupon Priority Mailed with M.O. March 16. Sincere thanks to Hi-Tec for a great deal on an amazing remote control system. I have 40+ flights in the past 3 weeks, and nothing resembling a radio-related problem or issue.

SHE'S REAL FINE AURORA 9!!!

Snell
Old 05-10-2010, 08:13 PM
RR24

Still waiting mailed on March 9th[&o]
Old 05-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Michel

Hi

Well you,er not alone ....................... I feel neglected ,...................... I need a hug []
Old 05-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Tcat1000

Got mine today in the mail. Ya just got to wish harder.................I tried to tell ya.................

Oh.........I forgot to mention this..............You have to go out in the front yard at high noon...........kneel down........bow westward towards Poway Ca (Hitec) three times while chanting "I want my receivers"..........& they will be on the way!

One more thing..........Ya got to be naked.................[:-]

Tcat
Old 05-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Minnreefer

I will admit that the coupons are the only real grip that I have with the Aurora, but I do wish that Hitec cared a bit more for their customers in this regards, I think they just don't care once you buy it. That is just my bitter thoughts while I am waiting for my 2 additional rx's.

Jon
Old 05-11-2010, 12:02 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

Also a 2.4ghz A9 Tx module is bid up to $48 so far. So if you buy a combo pack of module and two 7 channel RXs for say $120 and sell the module for $48 you have two Rx for less than $40 each.

Jim D
If you look closely the heading says module but everywhere else in the item it documents module and receiver and it went for $52(for module and 7ch rx, yes for sure). Good deal for the buyer. A bare module went for $20. Not so good for the seller.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:01 AM
mehrshad

I am waiting to test my Aurora 9 on Friday.
It's relatively new in IRAN .Actually I exchanged it with my multiplex royal evo 9.(650$ here)
I set up everything without any manual browsing except for the fail safe.
It seems awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.