Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

TBM ShockJet Questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

TBM ShockJet Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:55 PM
blainer48
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TBM ShockJet Questions

I just got a brand new ShockJet and was wondering if someone could give me some pointers or if anyone else ran into this same issue. Now, with that said, this is the newer 2 piece fusealge with the updated aluminum spar. After getting the plane, I was inspecting the parts and noticed that none of the hinge slots were cut. That seemed rather odd for a ARF that they seemed to have put some thought into the design. The factory does a few things to make the build easy, except for the lack of hinge slots. The only real problem I have is where to hinge the flaps since I have no plansor anything in the instructions to help with this. It is one thing to hinge a plane that you are building from scratch before it is covered, but it is another when the plane is already covered. Mainly because I have no idea how many hinges per surface, where they are located or what is actually under the covering for me to cut the hingle slot. Are there hard points and if so, where? Anyways, if someone could give me some ideas or help, it would be greatly appreciated. You can email me at: [email protected] or just responde on here.

Blaine
Old 05-08-2010, 11:05 PM
rocketman-RCU
My Feedback: (73)

Default RE: TBM ShockJet Questions

You need to contact Gerry Hinshaw at [email protected]
Old 05-08-2010, 11:22 PM
SinCityJets

The wings used to come pre-hinged. I think they had a few issues with the hinging not being done properly, so maybe they let the user do it now.

Chad
Old 05-09-2010, 04:58 AM
rolsen12

The one I buildt was hinged, but the hinges needed a lot more thin cayno.
You need at least six in each flap and five in each aileron.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:32 AM
blainer48

That is what most people have said is that theirs came pre-hinged or at least had the hinge slots cut.  Like I said, TBM's manuals leave a lot to the imagination because there isn't a lot of details.  My only thought is, if you are expecting the customer to hinge the plane, then there needs to be information in the manual that describes the wheres, the hows and so forth.  Don't just leave guys hanging.  This is a great looking jet and from what I have seen is a blast to fly.  I am not at all disappointed with it, just the lack of thought that was put into either the building process at the factory or TBM's quality control check on the products they are getting.

Blaine
Old 05-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Gene Margiotti
My Feedback: (4)

Take a look at the Shock Jet thread and keep in mind the spar/gluing issue found on pages 19-22. TBM came out with a fix for the issue - yours probably has that included in the arf kit. Otherwise, have fun.

Gene
Old 05-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Bill Hatcher
My Feedback: (2)

Blaine, This is a first. All the Shock Jets that I know of have been pre-hinged. Some one at the factory took the afternoon off when your plane was built.
No big problem to hinge a shock jet though. The flaps hinge at the bottom of the hinge line and the ailerons hinge in the middle. The Rudder and Elevator hinge from the center also.

Did your plane have the CA hinges included?
Old 05-09-2010, 12:08 PM
blainer48

Bill, I am glad someone from TBM wrote in. I have built several planes in my life both kits and ARF's, and this has no hinge slots cut at all. On these ShockJets, do they cover over the top of the slots, or should they be open? Also, it came with flat Du-Bro style pin hinges. They are the ones that are flat and white in color with the brass pin. Everyone I know that has these say they came with CA hinges so that is a little different. I mean this thing is new in the box and unstarted. I can take you some pictures of the hinge lines of both the wings, rudder and elevator and you can see that they are not slotted. When you say the flaps are hinged at the bottom of the hinge line, what do you mean the bottom? Do you have any sort of measurement? Gerry Hinshaw told me something like an 1/8 inch up from the bottom. I just need to know an exact measurement so I do not screw it up. Also, can you tell me is there a measurement where to drill the hard point for the rudderand elevator control horns? These were not drilledeither. I want to make sure I get things correct . Thanks again and I may give you a call tomorrow and touch base with you.

Blaine
Old 05-09-2010, 12:22 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blaine. Mine was covered over and I had to look very close and feel for my slots. They are very thin. heat your covering iron up to at least 220 and run it down the hinge line a few inches and rub the balsa with your thumb to make the slot show up. The idea is to make the covering turn dark so you can see it when your thumb presses it. I used the Du-Bro hinges with mine So I could cut the pin and take the surface off If I ever needed too. I'v used these type hinges for years and there's not a thing wrong with them.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:15 PM
laudy

Ok, Lets look at this, I have owned three shockjets, The one in question is the one that I traded for a 40% Yak, the first two were both pre hinged with CA type hinges. Anyone of us who has really built any type of aircraft has hinged a control surface. The Shock Jet is a trainer plane with a Turbine. Hinge it like any other plane. Keeping in mind that this is a little faster than your normal trainer. Therefore more hinges. It is just building 101. Get the hinging tool and put a little effort into it and guess what. your hinged in one evening.

I would hing it for your in three hours if you like. I have a power hinging tool.

Good Luck Blaine in Hadar.......

Laudy