Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Buggy suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:34 AM
rchamburger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buggy suggestions?

Hey guys, i just recently discovered how much fun buggies are but being only 14 i have almost no expirience with them. i do have a bit of expirience with nitro engines though. at the moment im just looking for a durable, fast nitro buggy at a reasonable price that i can run mostly on grass. any suggestions would be great, thanks.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:50 AM
Ozmick

Default RE: Buggy suggestions?

Buggies aren't fun mate....... They are bloody awesome!
What is your price range and do you have any decent hobby shops around you as freight would be killer to NZ.
If you do have a hobby shop near by see what they have to offer and what spares they stock.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:33 AM
big_poppa49

I agree with Oz, you would want to get a buggy that your local hobby shops carry parts for. Although I mostly order my parts from ebay, which should ship to your area as well, my local hobby shop stocks Losi, Associated, and I think Ofna, so I went with the Losi and I love it.

If your shop carries Losi, I would suggest a Losi 8ight 2.0. You wont be disappointed
Old 05-12-2010, 09:11 AM
jmaxey51

whats your budget??
Old 05-12-2010, 12:03 PM
lez1troubles

Yo dude, if your local hobby shop stocks ((((KYOSHO)))) get yourself the KYOSHO MP7.5 complete set (RTR). It has every thing already installed apart from the batteries and fuel. Check it out on the net.
Prices should be around $350 which aint that bad.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

Yo dude, if your local hobby shop stocks ((((KYOSHO)))) get yourself the KYOSHO MP7.5 complete set (RTR). It has every thing already installed apart from the batteries and fuel. Check it out on the net.
Prices should be around $350 which aint that bad.
my vote is for the kyosho as well. i got my us sports 2 for 315.00$ new.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:37 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

or a Hong nor X1x
I got the jammin X1x(USA rename) and its a tuff buggy
Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 PM
rchamburger

I will try check out my hobby shop in the next couple of days.
as for price i was thinking about 300-500 usd... maybe a bit more if need be, thanks for the replies.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:38 AM
jmaxey51

get a Hotbodies D8 if you plan on racing, its one tough and good buggy. and its 275 for the KIT!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:14 PM
BIGMANE42

you can get the ofna picco rtr for like 300 from www.amainhobbies.com a spektrum 2.4 ghz sport radio 99.00, 2 hi tech high torque servos 35.00 a piece.that will keep you under 500.00 .and if you want a good pipe go with the jammin jp 3 pipe 77.00,this is all you need my friend this combo will scream.i suggest until you get the art of tunning an engine down, purchase some bluethunder 20% sport blend until you get more familiar with temping your engine.hope this helps.one more thing order the odonnells purple sport glowplug for 5-20% nitro fuel. your from new zealand ,blue thunder may not be available in your area but go with th equivalent of it in a sport formula. you need the extra oil for your engine to run a lil leaner.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:55 PM
rpg711

ORIGINAL: BIGMANE42

you can get the ofna picco rtr for like 300 from www.amainhobbies.com a spektrum 2.4 ghz sport radio 99.00, 2 hi tech high torque servos 35.00 a piece.that will keep you under 500.00 .and if you want a good pipe go with the jammin jp 3 pipe 77.00,this is all you need my friend this combo will scream.i suggest until you get the art of tunning an engine down, purchase some bluethunder 20% sport blend until you get more familiar with temping your engine.hope this helps.one more thing order the odonnells purple sport glowplug for 5-20% nitro fuel. your from new zealand ,blue thunder may not be available in your area but go with th equivalent of it in a sport formula. you need the extra oil for your engine to run a lil leaner.
While more oil forces you to run leaner to achieve the same results as less, there is less actual combustable fuel, which means you will be running erratically. For example, running Crapxxas top fuel(the #1.. in crappiest fuels ever made) made me tune the engine super lean, which meant it ran at around 280F(for a force .21 P4 that I had at the time, was bad), burnt plugs like no tomorrow and had all sorts of gunk building on the engine. High oil content isn't what you are looking for, what you are looking for is either 100% castor or otherwise high quality oil, and less of it(8-12%), so in other words, sidewinder race, byron's race gen 2, odonnell race.

Race blend fuels are cents more expensive than RTR/Sport blends, for example O'donnell RTR 20% may be 13$ a quart... O'donnell Race 20% is 13.59$ a quart. Race blends have less oil but enough(if you are running odonnell, that is) to keep your engine in great condition.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:19 PM
BIGMANE42

good point i started to tell him byrons but i figured blue tunder was made more for the newbie .but you are absolutely correct. thanx for having my back.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rpg711

ORIGINAL: BIGMANE42

While more oil forces you to run leaner to achieve the same results as less, there is less actual combustable fuel, which means you will be running erratically. For example, running Crapxxas top fuel(the #1.. in crappiest fuels ever made) made me tune the engine super lean, which meant it ran at around 280F(for a force .21 P4 that I had at the time, was bad), burnt plugs like no tomorrow and had all sorts of gunk building on the engine. High oil content isn't what you are looking for, what you are looking for is either 100% castor or otherwise high quality oil, and less of it(8-12%), so in other words, sidewinder race, byron's race gen 2, odonnell race.

Race blend fuels are cents more expensive than RTR/Sport blends, for example O'donnell RTR 20% may be 13$ a quart... O'donnell Race 20% is 13.59$ a quart. Race blends have less oil but enough(if you are running odonnell, that is) to keep your engine in great condition.
thats not nessaraly true. i ran wildcat 20% nitro and 18% oil for years and it ran awsome and idled great in fact it almost never flamed out for any reason.
Also i ran this in my traxxas 2.5r and i kept normal temps and my plugs lasted months.
I would still be running it now except its getin hard to get arround here so i decided to try out byrons gen 2.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:08 PM
jmaxey51

the more oil there is, the hotter it will run! its a myth that more oil makes it last longer. but less than 8% or 9% oil is bad.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:03 AM
lez1troubles

Yo RCHAMBURGER, check out the ((((KYOSHO))))MP7.5 U.S SPORT MK2-MK3-MK4, they are complete ready to race buggies at a great price for a top of the line racing machine. A-MAIN is now having a sale and they cost around the $280.
Do your self a favour and check them out.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:25 AM
rchamburger

I checked out my LHS today and they stock losi, kyosho, team associated and most other brands, im thinking i might get the losi 8ight.
i found a local race club as well which i'll check out sometime and get some advice from the people there. Thanks for the replies
Old 05-16-2010, 01:34 PM
lez1troubles

((((KYOSHO)))) all the way dude. Dont make the same mistake that the rest make. Just go get the best there is. KYOSHO unless it's a 1/10 scale electric buggy, then go for Tamiya.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Tom76

Kyosho is the best in your mind, Leztroubles. Sorry I have to say this, but it is getting quite annoying when you costantly tell everyone this baloney. Different buggies are suited to different track and different buggies can win on any given day. The only reason Kyosho won everything previously, was because there were very few other manufacturers at that point in time, compared to today. I'm not trying to attack you and I get that you LOVE Kyosho 7.5 but it's just a little too much sometimes.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:00 AM
lez1troubles

HOBAO or a LOOSI, but if I was RCHAMBURGER and my local hobby shop stocks (((KYOSHO))) then I'd GET THE KYOSHO. (which is what I did and havent regretted it yet).
Then again MUGAN aint bad, but if my LHS stocks KYOSHO, GET ONE.
The new TAMIYA 1/8 buggy looks awsome, but get the KYOSHO.
What ever you do though do not go for the PICCO, they SUCK major time, We have 3 at the track I go to and they never finish a race due to always breaking, if a buggy cannt finish a race on a track whats it going to be like bashing around a sports field or quarry??? GO (((KYOSHO))) unless you want to learn alot about how to fix your buggy, in which case just get one of the inferier makes and drive for 15 minutes and then spend lots of $$$ and time just fixing busted up parts.
Save some money in the long term and get the MP7.5. unless your dad is rich or you have a great job with lots of cash to blow.
I am a 39 year old ships mechanic with around 30 years of xperiance in the RC field and yes I tell every one who wants to get in on the sport to get the best they can which just so happens to be the (((KYOSHO))). If it was anouther make or brand that was worth the money and you are young (14) then I'd just say go get that one, but as the case may be it's NOT, so get the (((KYOSHO))).

TOM76, I dont know how long you have been in the sport but back in the day there where makes loke ROBBE, GRAUPNER, PB, SERPENT and a couple of others but it was KYOSHO who kept on winning and still do today, so what wrong with that??? NOTHING. Peace out bro.