Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Another battery question from a newb

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Another battery question from a newb

Old 05-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Fuzzydog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another battery question from a newb

Hello all, I surf here more and more these days as I am getting back into the hobby. Mostly I am flying nitro planes, but have recently picked up a Blade CP Pro heli. It has an 11.1 lipo and balance charger. I have a couple of questions

1. with the balance charger - it is plug and play, right? I don't have to worry about overcharging or anything because the charger will cut off in time? Here is the charger I have:

2. Can I use as big of a mah battery as I can get on the heli? The one I have now is a 3s, 11.1v, 800mah, 15C. If I were to use a 3s, 11.1v, 1600mah, 15C battery would I get twice the flight time? I guess motor cooling might become an issue with extended flight times?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Just as an aside, a while back I picked up a beautiful twin rotor chinook indoor heli from London Drugs for about $30 and absolutely love that little thing for flying in the house. Once it is trimmed out right it is easy to fly, and gives decent flight times. This is what got me looking at larger outdoor helis.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92926.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	1435379  
Old 05-13-2010, 04:09 PM
fmw

Default RE: Another battery question from a newb

I'm almost certain your charger will not overcharge the batteries. The small ones like that usually have some sort of LED that blinks or changes color when it's finished with the charge. It shouldwork justfine. Batteries with a larger amp/hour rating will certainly give you more flight time. They will also give you more weight so you need to consider that. Doubling the amp/hour rating won't quite double the flight time because of the added weight and other factors but it will certainly increase it.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Fuzzydog

Default RE: Another battery question from a newb

Awesome, thanks very much for that info. [sm=thumbup.gif]