Community
Search
Notices
Model Rockets & Rocketry Discuss all aspects of model rocketry here, including r/c rocketry.

This is great!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 03:58 AM
The Codfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is great!

I've been flying model rockets for years (mostly Estes) and have always thought that RC would be a marriage made in heaven. Saw a few videos of rockets and RC gliders married together. I'm sure there are a thousand other ideas out there, this forum will be a great place for them to come to life. Thanks Folks!
Old 01-26-2008, 08:31 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: This is great!

R/C boost and rocket gliders - high performance gliders, not just "for effect" gliders like the Shuttle models - are a part of the hobby. There is even an FIA international competition category (S8). I have several, including a kit-built Estes twin boom rocket glider (can't remember the name but they sold an ARF version called the "centurian", I think) and a Cuda, both no longer available. There is a very simple, single or two channel boost glider kit from Edmunds Aerospace called the "Arcie II" which flies well.

I will post some pics. First is an Arcie II flown by my friend and fellow RCer and rocketeer, Craig B.

barry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12712.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	861901  
Old 01-26-2008, 08:42 PM
dbarrym

A glider that launches and lands with the rocket motor still attached is called a "Rocket Glider", and a glider that separets from the motor is called a "Boost Glider". This makes for higher gliding performance, as the weight and drag of the motor and associated structure needed for the boost phase need not be carried during the glide phase of the flight. Note that the booster/motor is recovered using a parachute or streamer.

Here's an example of a typical (non-R/C) boost glider (BG). Note the hook mechanism of the front of the glider - the glider basically "hangs" on the hook, and when the rocket motor's ejection charge fires at or near apogee, the glider is released.

Barry

Name:	Db86106.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	861906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28877.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	861907  
Old 01-26-2008, 08:49 PM
dbarrym

Here are some pictures of high-performance FAI S8 and S4 class rocket gliders, and a plan for one that uses a common technique for reducing drag during the boost phase - a "flop wing" or folded wing design.

Swing wings and combination swing/fold wings are also made. I can post detailed pics of some of mine if people are interested.

Barry

Name:	Mk27308.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	861918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82251.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	861919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35099.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	861920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18083.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	861921  
Old 01-28-2008, 10:21 AM
The Codfather

Great posts Barry! Thanks for the pics. Yes please show more. I have an idea for a folding wing design too I have had in my head for a few years, will be cool to see other peoples ideas. I'll take some pics of my rockets and other flying things to post here. I have kites, balsa gliders, rockets, paper aeroplanes that do light aerobatics, rubber band powered planes and heli's, and an electric heli. If it flies, I love it!!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 01:29 AM
The Codfather

Here are a couple of pics of my hanger. LOL

Old 10-30-2008, 11:34 AM
CHN_dragon

dbarrym:
I want with you ask once, concerning in the world forerunner of the S4 A creation method.You can deliver some pictures more to see for me, thanks.
Especially this year in Spain of world aerospace game, I has much of interest to it

Complement once:I come from China
Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 AM
KitBuilder

Dbarrym...
If your listening.. that looks like the Quest Flat Cat though my hookup area per instructions does not look the same (unless its not flat cat). The glider has no pod connection other than a cutout in the fust to accept the "hook". Did you modify based in flight tests?

Name:	Ig11968.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1402048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76019.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1402049  
Old 03-21-2010, 03:10 PM
dbarrym

It is from an old MPC kit (I think a lot of the old MPC designs became Quest)? I bought a pile of them when a local shop closed down. I used to lose many of them to thermals and the water near where we fly here in SD.

The hook is a molded unit from a competition rocketry parts supplier, either ASP or QCR...

http://www.cybertravelog.com/qcr/gliders.html
http://www.asp-rocketry.com/

The molded hook releases much cleaner than the notched fuselage and peg in the pod method, and that is crucial for maximizing the altitude gained before glider release. It's pretty common for the pod/glider to go past apogee and not release until the ejection charge goes off. This hook pretty much lets go as soon as the deceleration slows to zero (i.e. apogee).

Barry
Old 04-03-2010, 04:54 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For some higher powered RC Rocket Powered boost gliders, Aero-Tech manufactures (or maybe used to manufacture) a couple reloadable motor casings in 29 and I think 32 mm diameters. They had a kit for a very fast and aerobatic RPBG using the larger motor. Reloads are (were?) available for up to a G sized propellant grain. These RC Specific loads differed from the regular reloadables in that the kits do not have either time delay or ejection charges, only propulsion charges.

On both gliders (The Phoenix) I quickly found that even with F loqads, I had to stand back about 30' from the launcher or I'd loose sight of the plane for several hundred feed. It accelerated fast. My son tried to capture a launch using the auto exposure on his Cannon EOS, and he got a great sequence of about 10 pictures from ignition to the plane just clearing the launcher. That was the last either of us saw of it until I got it back in sight at burnout.

One was stolen from my car, the other experienced terminal flutter while under power at about 200' altitude.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:22 PM
dbarrym

re the AT Phoenix - I agree, they fly great. I would stand back 100' or so for the reasons you mentioned. Set up an old 3 channel radio to act as a remote ignition system using two switches mounted separate servos, one on ratcheted throttle channel for a safety and the other on one of the spring loaded stick for a momentary 'on' to fire. Had an observer to launch on my command - never a lack of volunteers!

I've had several over the years. I still have a NIB original kit, as well as one from the limited run of reproduction kits produced by Skybench RC last year. Will probably be selling one soon, PM me if anyone is interested.

Barry
Old 05-16-2010, 01:37 AM
drivedog

Thought I would include some pics of a Rocket Powered Paper Airplane that some friends and I built for a show called Master Blasters

Name:	Ki18046.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1436817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93129.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1436818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx59866.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1436819  
Old 05-16-2010, 01:49 AM
dbarrym

Very cool - a number of my buddies were on that show, on various teams. Can't remember all the team names but several EX and HPR people I used to fly/launch with participated.

Were you on the ROC team? If so, we probably know each other.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Hoostas
My Feedback: (1)

I had an Arcie 2. Worked well.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:19 PM
jerry0503211
Banned

it's great!!!!!