Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Here kitty kitty kitty...PPB Skater QD25HT build

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Here kitty kitty kitty...PPB Skater QD25HT build

Old 05-15-2010, 10:43 AM
FlogginHarvey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here kitty kitty kitty...PPB Skater QD25HT build

Well, I had to do some horse trading but I stumbled into a deal on a PPB Skater with some help from the other side of the Pond (THANK YOU!!!!).

It will be the last build for quite a while I fear but no biggie...plenty to keep me busy... AND VERY SLOW GOING for sure.

I am VERY impressed with Paul's layup and molds...the lines are razer sharp and everything seems true. LOVE that the NACA Ducts are molded-in!!!

It will be getting the QD 25HT, MTC Rudder and Race Strut III. I also ordered a HendricX QD style silencer as they do not use packing like the QD silencers and I have heard GREAT things. 82dB's can't be too shabby and is is completely stainless steel construction!

I ordered the boat with Paul's Radio Box installed (you GOTTA do that) and his special hatch lock design installed (AGAIN, another GOTTA do item in my book).

For those that have not seen a PPB hull in person out of the mold he builds and ships them in primer so you will need to do a little light prep work and then have a friend or a body shop throw some paint on it. Most of us do this anyways so I thought it was no big deal. A friend in STL said it best: "...His Drag Cat hadn't earned her stripes yet. When she does, THEN AND ONLY THEN, will I paint her." That makes perfect sense to me. She better earn her paint!

Anyway, here are some quick pictures of the boat outta the box and some of the hardware I will be dropping on her.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65558.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	1436382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15670.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	1436383   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26072.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	1436384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59683.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	1436385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny26216.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	1436386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz37951.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	1436387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb59857.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	1436388  
Old 05-16-2010, 01:34 AM
RhesusMinus

Default RE: Here kitty kitty kitty...PPB Skater QD25HT build

Congratulations, the Skater is a great looking scale cat, with racing capabilities.. Pauls glasswork is first class, everything is sharp and straight. I finished mine this winter, also with a Quickdraw HT and their deep-V pipe. I didnt know he offered
the radiobox anymore, so I had to make my own. The preinstalled hatch lock is a must for sure, it is very strong, you can easily launch the boat by yourself by sticking two fingers in the airscope and throw it in. I also made a muffler from Hendricx´s
specifications, probably the same as you have, and it sure works well. We have to be below 82db, and this is probably one of the quietest boats I have ever heard. I had my first run this week, unfortunately a short one, I had some problems with the butterfly valve sticking at half throttle sometimes, but the boat performed great. Good luck with your building.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:10 PM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: RhesusMinus

Congratulations, the Skater is a great looking scale cat, with racing capabilities.. Pauls glasswork is first class, everything is sharp and straight. I finished mine this winter, also with a Quickdraw HT and their deep-V pipe. I didnt know he offered
the radiobox anymore, so I had to make my own. The preinstalled hatch lock is a must for sure, it is very strong, you can easily launch the boat by yourself by sticking two fingers in the airscope and throw it in. I also made a muffler from Hendricx´s
specifications, probably the same as you have, and it sure works well. We have to be below 82db, and this is probably one of the quietest boats I have ever heard. I had my first run this week, unfortunately a short one, I had some problems with the butterfly valve sticking at half throttle sometimes, but the boat performed great. Good luck with your building.

SWEET!!! Congrats on the Maiden Voyage and thank you for the post! PLEASE post some pictures and video of your boat if you don't mind!!! I would love to see it and try and use it as a muse for my build as I progress. What props did you find the boat/motor liked?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:05 PM
RhesusMinus

I have only tried a couple of props PS 7016/2 and 7015/2, both worked very well. Since the carb got stucked at half throttle sometimes, i decided to call it a day.
I hope I will have the time to try some more next weekend. I have not adjusted strut heigth or anything yet, so there is some work to be done. I will let you know when I
have some more runtime with the boat.

Name:	Vt57022.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1437106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49216.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1437107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12982.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1437108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58929.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1437109  
Old 05-16-2010, 07:25 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trey's silencer looks like this on the inside : (Picture)

All my silencers with Rossi-style muffling are build the same way.

Difference between them are the flow-calculations , those calculations are depending on the stinger-size.

On the powerboatmeeting in Eersel for a few weeks , we had a 'over-seas' visitor from New-Zealand ,

he had a beautifull and very fast Lakeracer-hydro but after some laps he was called in because he was blowing

94 > 96dB , he was offered to lend a HX-QDstyle muffler from one of the other guy's.

He was very surprised that his boat and engine were still acting normal ... and he had only 81>82dB.

So ........ you see .. I don't need advertising ... they sell themselves :-) Just as T-mods from Mike Tyson.

Trey ... good luck with your build-up , and get her finnished before the "big-change'' .

I can tell you from a long time ago experience ... after the "big-change" you will NOT have any 'boating-time' left.

Name:	Vt56902.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1437251  
Old 05-19-2010, 12:06 PM
FlogginHarvey

Rheseus Thanks for the heads and the pics on the Skater BEAUTIFUL boat and VERY nice to see that the QD DeeVee Pipe will fit VERy easy I see. That is EXACTLY my setup. Paul mentioned to start with the bottom of the strut even with the bottom of the sponsons and try...if it needs anything it may need to scoot up 1-3mm at best.

Henk can't wait to get this started! I HAVE TO finish my wife's KAAMA Scarab prior to starting this and have been working like MAD to try and get it buttoned up. The FG work is KILLING me. Not hard, just SOOOOO time consuming.

Yes, the BIG CHANGE will bring all sorts of "changes" I hear and hear and hear and hear...and all for the best......I hear! I think I will need to get another of your silencers for my Rico Classic and QD pipe!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:28 PM
rcguy1411

looks like it will be an awsome build its good to see you have your priorities with your wife s boat also cant wait to see what you do with your 65 " Balintine hull
Old 05-21-2010, 05:43 PM
FlogginHarvey

THANKS! REALLY can't wait to get moving on this one...soon enough. The Scarab is getting there SLOWLY

Man, I wish I had a Ballentine hull. Not sure, but you may have confused me with another member.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:29 PM
rcguy1411

ya i did get mixed up with all the different sites it gets easy not the first time but wont be the last eather got a cool pic today

Name:	Bz77078.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	1439962  
Old 05-23-2010, 10:47 AM
FlogginHarvey

That is a nice looking Scarab, although the wakeboard tower on it is definitely not to my tastes. I think an old school arch would have been a little better fit for styling???
Old 05-23-2010, 11:25 AM
rcguy1411

ya i agree the the owner was cool started talking boats and found out he s into rc boats as well maby use the scarab as a rescue boat as i could have used it had a few radio problems and just got back to shore
Old 05-23-2010, 11:40 AM
FlogginHarvey

Most boat people are very cool people...and I am finding a lot are into RC!

I have SEEN that Apache before on JRCBD. Nice boat. I think it has a MHZ S6 drive???

Sorry to hear about your radio issues anything that is easily solved?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:48 PM
rcguy1411

the 57" capricorn hull is mine ya it has the s6 drive fixed the radio problem used a y harnes to get 6 volts to the 1/4 scale servo hope that will turn the drive it is rated at 330 oz it seems to have alot more tork and speed hope to get her wet on the 24 th ive also gat a 65" Balintine that i now have no idea what to power her with ,with all the ? with rcmk s and gizmomotors as i was scraping up the cash to gegt a pair of cr engines
Old 07-03-2010, 01:00 PM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: rcguy1411

the 57'' capricorn hull is mine ya it has the s6 drive fixed the radio problem used a y harnes to get 6 volts to the 1/4 scale servo hope that will turn the drive it is rated at 330 oz it seems to have alot more tork and speed hope to get her wet on the 24 th ive also gat a 65'' Balintine that i now have no idea what to power her with ,with all the ? with rcmk s and gizmomotors as i was scraping up the cash to gegt a pair of cr engines

Hey, just saw the post. Bruce is back in with RCMK (or vice-a-versa?). Have you seen the RCMK 520 Twin case? That would be a fun way to power her with a splitter gear box (maybe a WD200 Clutch/Gear Box?) and twin drives??? There are some really cool mounts and mounts/clutch combos out there from MHZ and WSW Power in Germany for the RCMK EVO and EVO RX's...and Bruce will sell the RCMK mounts with the motors of course...Tony is doing a MHZ Skater mono with a pair of RCMK RX EVO's both in R and CR side by side...the boat is pretty much finished and he is doing the final rigging for test run in a week or so. I REALLY am excited to see that baby on the water. I bet it COOKS!

A little update on the progress. I ordered some 3-4mm CF from Central Hobbies and Tony has it cutting engine mounts and transom doubler now. Hope to get started on the build VERy quick. The Shootout is just aroud the corner!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:36 PM
rcguy1411

ya i have seen what gizmo had done with the 520 especially the one with the J&G cilinders that thing has to be close to 14 hp or more [X(] also the one where he turnrd the head to get the exhaust to go down each side that is the perfect engine for your PPB Skater and hopefully ive been looking at the new Skater Gizmo is going to be carring think its a little bigger than the PPB Skater if i can find a waay to get one past the gard at home its harder than getting stuff past customs at the boarder
Old 07-04-2010, 09:40 AM
FlogginHarvey

I hear ya on the Goalie...gotta be careful and not lie. She'll getcha every time! I do A LOT of trades...

I was thinking the MTC or MATHO billett case with a pair of J&G cyllies...but that is more than my hobby budget allows this year. This time I was thinking to keep it simple and stick with a single and the QD opp kinda fell in my lap through a friend. For a complete setup the RCMK 520 is a REALLY good buy. And, I did see the twin J&G one Bruce just did just about creamed my pants!!!

The guy with those "other" Skaters is not too far from my in IL (I am in MO...). A guy I run with was thinking pretty seriously about picking up one of those Skater hulls from Central. I would like to see one side-by-side both on the bench and on the water. Paul's work is going to be VERY tough to top in my book. I would put he and Hanspeter up in the same ballpark on tooling and layup quality.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:22 PM
HendricX

The MTC-twin has coupled Zenoah cranks , Matho has his own one piece crank.

Matho's crank is tested and good for 40HP .... :-) .. that should be enough.

The Matho twin is also the shortest twin on the market.

The centerbolts are so close together that I send a picture with measurements to Jack from J&G-motors.

He did let me know two V2 headkits will fit on a Matho twin-bottom , leaving a tremendous 0,4mm/0.015" between them :-)

Old 07-04-2010, 08:50 PM
rcguy1411

i have to agree with the quality of the PPB and everything i have heared about Hanspeter i really was waiting for Tom at ClassOne to start producing the PPB and i would love to have the money to put into a 72 " Skater but that would mean a new truck it gets hard stuffing in my 57" Apache in the suv it will be real fun gettin my 65" Ballintine in hope to order a 520 for the Ballentine maby i ll get her up and running and let the 57 go i really want another Skater as i used to crew a couple teams that ran them
Old 07-05-2010, 09:36 AM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: HendricX

The MTC-twin has coupled Zenoah cranks , Matho has his own one piece crank.

Matho's crank is tested and good for 40HP .... :-) .. that should be enough.

The Matho twin is also the shortest twin on the market.

The centerbolts are so close together that I send a picture with measurements to Jack from J&G-motors.

He did let me know two V2 headkits will fit on a Matho twin-bottom , leaving a tremendous 0,4mm/0.015'' between them :-)

SOOO, when ya gonna get one together? LOVE to see it. I really like the way the Matho Case looks...a PERFECT fit with J&G Hemi V2. What kind of Exhaust Cooling Flanges can you find that are that SMALL???
Old 07-05-2010, 09:43 AM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: rcguy1411

i have to agree with the quality of the PPB and everything i have heared about Hanspeter i really was waiting for Tom at ClassOne to start producing the PPB and i would love to have the money to put into a 72 '' Skater but that would mean a new truck it gets hard stuffing in my 57'' Apache in the suv it will be real fun gettin my 65'' Ballintine in hope to order a 520 for the Ballentine maby i ll get her up and running and let the 57 go i really want another Skater as i used to crew a couple teams that ran them

I hear ya on Tom doing the PPB here in the USA. I had some major help stumbling into a wonderful deal on this one! Shipping from Belgium to the USA is tough as Paul explained because he can't insure anything over $250 EU through the post.

Get that Ballentine going!!!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:15 AM
rcguy1411

i hear you on the Ballintine i really want to get another MHZ S6 drive and then a splitter geaarbox and the RCMK 520 there is just somthing i love about things looking scale fell into my 57 " Capricorn with the S6 got a ready to run hull for the cost of the S6 drive alone and it had just been serviced at MHZ USA new bearings and gears last fall IM still alittle gun shy on the 520 want to hear about all the teathing problems with it before i pull the trigger and get one shipping is a big cost factor when things cross the boarder and in only 45 min from the NY State need a good hobby shop close to the boarder
Old 07-05-2010, 07:46 PM
HendricX

ORIGINAL: FlogginHarvey
SOOO, when ya gonna get one together? LOVE to see it.
What kind of Exhaust Cooling Flanges can you find that are that SMALL???
Here's the MouseHouse bottom , with attached WD-200 splt gearbox.

My customer is waiting for the European delivery of the RCMK-520 ,
i'll use various parts of it , and selling the remains. :-)
(this is way cheaper as buying 2 cylinders/pistons/coils/starter etc.)

I've persuaded my customer to go for the new [link=http://www.power-spark.de/index_en.html]Power-Spark[/link] electr.ignition.
They have a programmable curve , so I can 'tune' the Evo cylinders somewhat more.
Goal is 18.500>19.000rpm and 12>14HP .. that should swing 2 Propshop 7016/4 L&R with ease.
Hull is a HPR-CT-04 ... that had a QD-35.
He submarined it at a awfull way .. repair would have been 900>1000us$.
Add 19% customs and 2% duty's , so now you can understand my customers point of view ,
buying the MouseHouse instead.

Coolingflanges will be 8mm SS/30*slanted ones , one re-milled to 10* (slanted UPwards.)
(Picture is of a 15* slanted-one)
Exhausts will be the QD-DeepV's ... with the ringed-flanges sawed off , and brazed into the flanges.
This way the 2 Deep-V's are on top of eachother , and will have more than enough 'space' .

Name:	Ge94837.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	1463654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11447.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1463655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85275.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1463656  
Old 07-07-2010, 02:13 PM
FlogginHarvey

LOVE that motor Henk!!! SWEET.

YIKES on the QD...looks NASTY! ;-( I think I follow your plans for Exhaust but having a hard time picturing the setup for hte twin???

Please post a couple if you don't mind when you have it mocked up.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:41 PM
PRO PAINTER

I'd love to paint it for you!! Check
out the pics in my gallery
Old 07-18-2010, 06:34 PM
HendricX

ORIGINAL: FlogginHarvey
I think I follow your plans for Exhaust but having a hard time picturing the setup for the twin???
Please post a couple if you don't mind when you have it mocked up.

OK .. you asked for it ... here you go :

Engine build-up almost done .. and the manifolds.

Name:	Sq46281.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	1469835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32076.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1469836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14285.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1469837  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.