Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF vs. ESM 1/5 scale P-40

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
ESM
21.54%
TF
78.46%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

TF vs. ESM 1/5 scale P-40

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:56 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF vs. ESM 1/5 scale P-40

Now that both Ever Soaring Models (ESM) and Top Flite (TF) have announced their respective 1/5 scale P-40 aircraft, I am curious which one you would buy based on current knowledge.

The TF will have the elevator counterbalances which is not shown in the current photos, but ESM has an actual painted surface.
TF has a full cockpit, I don't think ESM does.

Top Flite Info: http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0705.html

ESM Info: http://www.esmmodel.com/inc/Enproduc...?productid=211

So, which would you buy? (Note: even if you have no intentions of actually buying either, please vote for the one you would buy if you were to buy one of them)

Old 05-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: TF vs. ESM 1/5 scale P-40

I much prefer the TF airplane and have already submitted my order. Looking forward to getting the airplane and applying some "personal touches" to it.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:19 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I should have one of the ESM P-40's in this week. I will post pic's as soon as it gets here. I plan on doing a complete cockpit kit for the plane. One good thing about the ESM they are available now...

Ty
Old 05-17-2010, 03:42 PM
jmohn

I am getting one of the ESM P-40. I don't want a built up fuze and it already has panel line and other great details the Top Flight doesn't have. I can get a cockpit kit from Ty

I also don't want a shinny monocoat on my model. I know you can dull coat, but then there are still no panel lines and hatches. I am sure the TF P-40 will be a good flyer as all their are, but why don't they start selling some kits with glass fuzes?

Jeff
Old 05-17-2010, 04:11 PM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

i 'AM not to sure but from the pictures of both the ESM and the top-flite P-40 the cowl seems to be more scale on the ESM then the Top-Flite . That would be a hard fix if that is correct . The Top-Flite looks like they lowered the thrust line which changed the cowl to more of a down slope on top and the air intake was raised on the bottom. Does anyone else see the same thing ?

thanks bob
Old 05-17-2010, 04:27 PM
jmohn

Top Flight is the top one. See if you can see anything better/worse between the two.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Zw69680.pdf (122.2 KB, 106 views)
Old 05-17-2010, 06:21 PM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

They both look the same in that shot. The carb. intake has to much curve in it and the rad. intake is to shallow. They alomost look like they are from the same mold.

thanks bob
Old 05-17-2010, 08:26 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is definitely a nice problem to have! This spring/summer is sure turning out to be a great one for the giant scale arena. I think both are nice, but have always liked top flite.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The ESM is missing guns and the wheel pods are more scale.Compared to the TF, the spinner is not as scale. i like the paint scheme on the ESM. I guess its truelly is a preference for glass or wood and the extra detail . I think I would go for the ESM....but I havent seen either one in person and I dont know the cost of theESM
Old 05-18-2010, 12:19 AM
77chickenhawk

id have to say that all and all the ESM looks more scale, the wing pods is what sets the two planes apart
Old 05-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

It has a flat monokote finish, not shinny.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Pippin

TF P-40: Thumbs up! Great ARF which is on my shopping list.

ESM P-40: Thumbs down! I don't know that the Chinese thought choosing this particular paint scheme. IMO, this is not very funny but offensive.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:46 AM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: Pippin

ESM P-40: Thumbs down! I don't know that the Chinese thought choosing this particular paint scheme. IMO, this is not very funny but offensive.

Not the best scheme for a P-40, but what do you find offensive?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 PM
jmohn

I think Pippin's commnt was in reference to the guys pi$$ing on the rising sun on the tail of the plane.

It is a little strange that they would put this on a plane, but not the swastica on the German planes. I don't have a problem with it as long as it was on the real planes since it's "scale".

I down loaded the instruction manual for the ESM P40 and it does have a two-piece wing that bolts on. Good for me since it probably wouldn't fit in my car otherwise.

Jeff
Old 05-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

They probably leave the Swastika off of German birds simply because they are not allowed in Germany. If you have any plans to sell to the German market that is one concession that has to be made. No such issues with the markings on the P-40.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Speedracer2112

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

I much prefer the TF airplane and have already submitted my order. Looking forward to getting the airplane and applying some ''personal touches'' to it.
Same here.

I posted this on the ESM thread. Its a copy paste.

Cool how everyboby has different factors they see in a plane as good or bad. If I buy a plane with a two part wing I glue it together day one if possible. One less stress point to me with a ridgid, strong platform to bolt a fusalage to. Less assembly at the field and fewer problems. I do love removable wing tips though!! TF's B-25 and ESM B-25 are great to transport with the nacelles still on vs H9's B-25 with a total mess at the field.

I was about to order the ESM P-40 when TF dropped theirs on the market. Seriously, you cannot find another plane with the quality of TF. Plus it cost less ($629 plus $99 shipping for the ESM and $579 minus $60 with a Tower coupon so its $728 for the ESM and $519 for the TF), free shipping, full cockpit included, red aluminum spinner, beefed up wing with aluminum reinforcement at the retracts and a good line on replacement parts. And the scale? Almost perfect. Its not shinny. Its dull Monocoat like on the TF B-25. Just look at the photo of the model next to the actual plane!! I cant give all of that up for a two part wing. I would buy a bigger truck! : )

I did pick up four of the models from TBM. Their B-25, LW-190, LA-7 and the Ki-84 all with retracts. (They are located 30 minutes south of me so its worth the drive) This will finish me off for a long long time. I gotta find a place to hide them in the house. LOL! It takes so long for them to come in I just bought what I though I might want and spin the rest if I can part with them. No dice on the P-40.

I have started a build thread here and have preordered the plane. If your going to built this plane please subscribe to this thread below. I need others building also for more ideals.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9729550

Cheers!!

SR

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50517.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1438888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24567.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1438889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53789.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1438890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93123.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1438891  
Old 05-20-2010, 04:19 AM
Pippin

The problem I have with the /§&(/% kid and the flag is that I do not need &%/&& kids on a plane. Furthermore the rising sun is still displayed in the ensign of the Japanese navy. Even if the plane replicates aviation history I do not like the graphics.
If the Chinese would put a similar pic on a bird but with an American or British flag some people might find that strange too.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2010, 05:55 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The open cowl flaps make a differance in the way the cowl is perceived .
The gear pods on the TF are a very interesting observation , the botton can be fixed with depth ect by simply adding doors , the shorter moon that should go back further is not a deal breaker but interesting none the less .
I like them both but prefer a P40 with counter balances in the tail considering this is a very obviuos omission on the part of ESM and the plane close to $200 more .
One thing we know about TF , they are built to fly , the reports on esm are good , but some like the Dauntless have yet to receive steller review in the air .
So I dont know the record of ESM overall in the air
Old 05-20-2010, 12:03 PM
jmohn

LDM, the ESM does have a counter balance in the tail. See my attachment above. I have four ESM (KMP or VQ) flying and haven't had any issues other that the usuall when you convert a plane to electric that was ment for gas. All are good fliers and have many hours flight time with no incidents.

I did get one of the ETM Avengers and it was horrible! Terrible flying and built like cr@p.

BTW I have watched four Top Flight planes (60 size P51) crash at our field. At least two were from dumb thumbs, but the other two were from CG issues as recommended by TF. My TF Stearman was one of my favorite planes. Got hit midair and it's gone

Jeff
Old 05-20-2010, 12:18 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: jmohn

LDM, the ESM does have a counter balance in the tail. See my attachment above.

Jeff

Your photo shows the rudder, not the elevator. It was stated in the Top Flite thread that the production version will have the counterbalances on the elevator even though current photos do not show them.

I haven't seen anything from ESM saying theirs will have these.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:21 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: Pippin

The problem I have with the /§&(/% kid and the flag is that I do not need &%/&& kids on a plane. Furthermore the rising sun is still displayed in the ensign of the Japanese navy. Even if the plane replicates aviation history I do not like the graphics.
If the Chinese would put a similar pic on a bird but with an American or British flag some people might find that strange too.

Ahh. O.K.

I have no problem with it since it did appear on that aircraft in the war. I don't know of any chinese aircraft that had a similar pic on the full scale, so your right, that probably would get some strange reactions.

I do also agree with you that there were other better schemes to select.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:20 PM
jmohn

It's pretty easy to tear off the graphics on the planes. I did this on my Stuka to convert it to a desert scheme.

It would be nice to have an RAF version of the P-40.

Jeff
Old 05-20-2010, 05:25 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

LOTS of people dont like the swastika either! But I have them on my FW190 be they BELONG there..

The people who put that graphic on the P40 may have had a partucilar reason? Ever hear of the Rape of Nanking in China? Or the other brutalaties that happend to the chineese at the hands of the japaneese? I'm simply providing another point of view. Think about it.

I'm not making a judgement here I'm simply stating that the world doen't revolve around your particular point of view or your sensitivities

Old 05-20-2010, 06:54 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

The ESM is missing the counter balance in the elevator , not a deal breaker but it should be correct for close to $700 . I am not a scale snob by any means or I am anal about outline ect , but come on the counter balances are very obviuos on the P40 and this is stand off scale , well when staning off at 10 ft I can see there elevator is incorrect .

As far as 4 crashing and two being based on CGs , I have never , yes never ever used the CG suggested in a warbird ever - I start with 25% of the mac and go from there .
Old 05-20-2010, 08:38 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: jmohn

LDM, the ESM does have a counter balance in the tail. See my attachment above. I have four ESM (KMP or VQ) flying and haven't had any issues other that the usuall when you convert a plane to electric that was ment for gas. All are good fliers and have many hours flight time with no incidents.

I did get one of the ETM Avengers and it was horrible! Terrible flying and built like cr@p.

BTW I have watched four Top Flight planes (60 size P51) crash at our field. At least two were from dumb thumbs, but the other two were from CG issues as recommended by TF. My TF Stearman was one of my favorite planes. Got hit midair and it's gone

Jeff
Top Flite made a Stearman? Hummm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.