Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Rustler Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:31 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Rustler Thread

i have a rustler xl-5 with the metal rear diff but stock drive shafts/axles.
today i was running it with the ez-run brushless combo for about 40 min before i blew out the rear bearing on the axle.(heres a pic to show you whats left...)
those stock bearings are so small it didnt suprised me !

the bearing also enlarged the hole in the hub so im loking to upgrade the rear to VXL stuff.

i will be getting VXL hubs and bearing but i would like to know if the stock axles will fit these.

thanks for your help.

Impala

edit : never mind, i went to my LHS and got the hubs and bearings for 14$ and everything is fine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96132.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1438460  
Old 05-18-2010, 11:02 PM
jbrobertsonjr

has anyone used the pro ball diff is it any good or a waste of time
Old 05-19-2010, 01:47 AM
momogt

just fired up my rustler xl5 this thing is pretty fast stock i was running it around my basement i cant wait to put my brushless system in its a tacon 4420kv motor and a cc sidewinder esc with a 3s venom lipo 4000mah but i have alot of upgrades on the way tires,links,steel idler gear,cvds,lock diff but this truck is fast stock im all about speed im making this more for wheely popping speed runs no off road
Old 05-19-2010, 09:15 AM
dakotanut

I would go with some aluminum chassis stuff if you are making speed runs. Plastic will flex to much in my opinion. Plus it will look cool. Just don't hit anything. Your Rustler is gonna scream like that. Make sure you get a wheelie bar thing. Your gonna need it.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: dakotanut

I would go with some aluminum chassis stuff if you are making speed runs. Plastic will flex to much in my opinion. Plus it will look cool. Just don't hit anything. Your Rustler is gonna scream like that. Make sure you get a wheelie bar thing. Your gonna need it.
You mean kinda like this one.

Yea, you know I just had to put it up.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:38 AM
momogt

how easy will your truck wheely with your brushless set up
Old 05-19-2010, 09:42 AM
momogt

i forgot to add wheely bar i have one on the way and im gonna get a custom painted body this truck is fast stock but i love to modify cant wait till my parts get here so i can go to work
Old 05-20-2010, 04:47 AM
Mazda ute

Any know of the strongest diff gears that will fit in a rustler diff? Are the VXL ones the same as the ohturs or stronger?anyone know???
Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 AM
birdman1968

how fast does the rustler go on 3s LiPo . I have a vxl and I am getting bored with 2s . I even out the 28 pinion in for speed . Still bored .
Old 05-20-2010, 09:59 AM
DrDaywalker

ORIGINAL: birdman1968

how fast does the rustler go on 3s LiPo . I have a vxl and I am getting bored with 2s . I even out the 28 pinion in for speed . Still bored .
It depends on how you gear it man. Good luck keeping the wheels on the ground though. You need to set the whole car up different to just do speed runs. But everyone will be different. You can go on youtube and see people doing 70+ with it. But in my opinion its a waste of time. Speed does only two things. Ruins your chances at being able to drive off road because you have to set it up so different. And worst of all..... MAKES YOU BREAK EVERYTHING! Trust me, I was running the 11.1v 3s and I ended up breaking everything at least once on it. If you search my posts you can see everything I did. Now I dont drive it anymore. I got so much money into it im afraid to break it...lol

People like warheadforever can attest to it.

Good Luck.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: momogt

how easy will your truck wheely with your brushless set up
It will flip over backward on to its lid with the wheely bar, so yea, it does them all day.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:48 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: DrDaywalker

It depends on how you gear it man. Good luck keeping the wheels on the ground though. You need to set the whole car up different to just do speed runs. But everyone will be different. You can go on youtube and see people doing 70+ with it. But in my opinion its a waste of time. Speed does only two things. Ruins your chances at being able to drive off road because you have to set it up so different. And worst of all..... MAKES YOU BREAK EVERYTHING! Trust me, I was running the 11.1v 3s and I ended up breaking everything at least once on it. If you search my posts you can see everything I did. Now I dont drive it anymore. I got so much money into it im afraid to break it...lol

People like warheadforever can attest to it.

Good Luck.
Agreed, speed a very relative thing, once you get over like 40 MPH, it is just about uncontrollable.
Does that mean you shouldn't get a 3S no, I want one, but there is really no use for it other than going in a straight line. [:-][]

By the way, I have a whole truck in spare prats in a box, so yea...... That is what speed does. LOL
Old 05-20-2010, 03:04 PM
cbaumler

If you are bored with 2S, i say go for it. 3S won't break anything. It's the driver that does the breaking. Just learn some throttle control...and although 3S isn't really needed, it sure is nice to have there when you want it. I don't even bother running my 2S now. My 7 year old runs it in his rusty.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:04 PM
birdman1968

Well , I pulled the trigger on a Hobbyking 3s 35 C 5000 mah LiPo today .

I have been running 2s 35c LiPo in my trucks for about 3 months and want a little more speed for fun .

I have a Rustler VXL , Pede VXL , Slash VXL , and a Slash 4x4 PE with a MMP 4700 Motor and MMP ESC.

I can use it in all 4 trucks . Ready for some serious crazyness .

Not sure if it will fit in the Rustler or Pede without modification ?? But I will make it fit !! Not afraid to put the dremmel to work .

My Slash's are set up for racing so not sure if they will get the 3s on board , but the Rusty and Pede are gonna take some abuse for sure .

Any tips for set up or upgrades that help the trucks handle the 3S LiPo ???

Just gonna do speed runs with it at the local stadium parking lot . Till it get bored with that and do a 70 MPH launch off my homemade ramp . I have been doing that on 2S at about 40 MPH . LOL
Old 05-21-2010, 01:37 AM
Mazda ute

Anyone know???

ORIGINAL: Mazda ute

Any know of the strongest diff gears that will fit in a rustler diff? Are the VXL ones the same as the ohturs or stronger?anyone know???
Old 05-21-2010, 09:39 AM
warheadforever

Anyone know???

Um, sorry I didn't see your post, I missed it. [sm=red_smile.gif]

Any way, I have never really had a problem with the VXL diffs as it is.v Beside toughing a locker in there I am not sure you could really make it much stronger.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:56 AM
warheadforever

Well , I pulled the trigger on a Hobbyking 3s 35 C 5000 mah LiPo today .

I have been running 2s 35c LiPo in my trucks for about 3 months and want a little more speed for fun .

I have a Rustler VXL , Pede VXL , Slash VXL , and a Slash 4x4 PE with a MMP 4700 Motor and MMP ESC .

I can use it in all 4 trucks . Ready for some serious crazyness .

Not sure if it will fit in the Rustler or Pede without modification ?? But I will make it fit !! Not afraid to put the dremmel to work .

My Slash's are set up for racing so not sure if they will get the 3s on board , but the Rusty and Pede are gonna take some abuse for sure .

Any tips for set up or upgrades that help the trucks handle the 3S LiPo ???

Just gonna do speed runs with it at the local stadium parking lot . Till it get bored with that and do a 70 MPH launch off my homemade ramp . I have been doing that on 2S at about 40 MPH . LOL
Actually Traxxas makes a battery try expansions kit, that lets you drop a 3s right in.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTKH2&P=7]Link[/link]
Old 05-23-2010, 10:21 AM
dug44
My Feedback: (2)

My son with his Rustler vxl, he is 9 and loves to jump it (better than me too)

Name:	Fd93145.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1440669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76182.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1440670  
Old 05-23-2010, 10:39 PM
justavillain

I have been running the rusty a lot lately and I have to say this....

1) I hate gluing wheels
2) it's an awesome starter truck.
3) basic upgrates makes it an awesome all around truck
4) the RPM front bumper is almost a must
5) Slash 3 - piece wheels in the rear help with #1

the bumper and slash 3 piece tires are the best parts i've ever bought.  I have had a problem with the motors lately but it happens running in the dirt. 
Old 05-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Finally got my new (used) rustler out for a test run  and was pleasantly impressed.  Quickly bought some new rear tires since it was setup for street running, got some road hawgz to help grip a little better than the balds i had on there.  Still hard to keep it straight out of the gate...lot of power with the vxl....dig the wheelies, and runnin all the way down the street on a wheelie...just cant turn it very well   Plastic rear Hex's didnt last long, so i had to order some aluminum ones from strc.....also broke a bottom shock cup (rpm), or lost.....so i replaced it with stock piece...probably the header i took into the curb.

Cool ride, lots of doughnuts lots of wheelies...dont have much for brakes though.....in reverse i hit the brakes and it locks up real good, but going forward to brake there isnt much stopping power...just slowly slows down...tried re-prograqmming the esc to my hitec AM Aggressor several times. but it didnt change anything......would race mode on the esc have anything to do with it?  I know race mode cuts off the reverse, but it shouldnt affect the brakes.   Ill just do spin outs to stop until i find a solution
Old 05-29-2010, 12:52 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

went for a little bash session with my girlfriend's brushless rustler in a nearby construction site.

i had a great time, just wanted to share some pics.

Impala

Name:	Db83958.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1444323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75081.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	1444324  
Old 05-29-2010, 12:57 AM
blackdogafd

hey guys i just pick up a nice rusty vxl and its running 7.4v 5000mah 20c lipo batteries....it has integy aluminum piggyback shocks, aluminun caster blocks, talon tires....also has a custom made wingmount and traxxas downforce wing....

truck is just wicked cool...this is my first brushless truck so i wanna keep it going and upgrade some more stuff on it..i was thinking first about upgrading the chassis and trans
any other ideas i wanna keep the vxl system on it..but i also wanna get this thing wicked fast with the stock traxxas vxl esc...

should i go with the 11.1v lipo's and change the gearing like what is said on the traxxas website or have you guys found other ways? let me know!
Old 05-29-2010, 01:04 AM
blackdogafd

here's some pix of my rusty!!

Name:	Bz77964.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	1444326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93676.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	1444327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73996.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	1444328  
Old 05-29-2010, 11:27 PM
MurphJato

I have a VXL that I love to do wheelies and insane speed runs. One problem I find is wheel hop side to side. Would the straight axel piece they sell on ebay help? Thanks guys.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:11 AM
AL3xGR

They sell everything on ebay.I had this problem that you have,in two trucks.The best would be,when you buy new tires,to tape them(recommended,if you want)and to balance them.By doing this you can save your hub carriers and your suspension arms(the vibration from the wheels can destroy them...)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.