Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Build Thread-Scratch built for 8s

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:47 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Build Thread-Scratch built for 8s

Broke out the hinge line from the ribs, just like I did with the wing, then glued in pre-shaped stab TE/elevator LE.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:49 PM
dreadnaut

Pic's for previous post
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96945.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1358483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69114.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1358484  
Old 01-17-2010, 08:26 PM
dreadnaut

This whole weekend was devoted to finishing the dang thing. (i didn't) But I came close. I was setting the incidences when it started raining and I had to haul it all in. Over the next week I should get the controls hooked up, and get the plugs to the point where I can start pulling molds. I had to rebuild the turtle deck plug. This time I built it up, stringers and all, then sheeted it. It's straighter than the first try, and it was probably faster than trying to get the original to look good. I started on plugs to mold the wing tips from flower shop foam, but decided to rethink that too. I am having my laser guy cut some pieces so I can stack them into a more accurate shape.

The plug for the cowl is sitting on the ground next to it.right now it is plywood, flower shop foam, and light weight Spackle.

Name:	Zx70815.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	1358497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62746.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1358498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47364.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1358499  
Old 01-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Rendegade

Looking good dread, keep us posted!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Gaiotto

Hello Dread,

I really like this model and I wish I had the plans for building one like yours, really cool. I´m flying glow pattern planes for while and I looking for electric pattern planes and I saw this thread, could you please send me drawings or the plans by email?

Thanks and best regards

Old 01-26-2010, 06:20 PM
dreadnaut

I would be happy to provide plans, and laser cut short kits, but not yet. I have not flown the prototype. I am certain that it will fly; I just do not know exactly how well. As for the plans; the set I have been working on are just line work with no annotation, so are not ready for distribution. I have one sheet, for the wing and stab, in the proof reading stage. The fuse and rudder plan is quite a ways from being finished.

ORIGINAL: Gaiotto

Hello Dread,

I really like this model and I wish I had the plans for building one like yours, really cool. I´m flying glow pattern planes for while and I looking for electric pattern planes and I saw this thread, could you please send me drawings or the plans by email?

Thanks and best regards

Name:	Tq48995.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1365112  
Old 01-26-2010, 07:01 PM
dreadnaut

I hope you understand that due to the large amount of work that has gone into those plans, they are copyrighted, and I don't plan to give them away. As for the CAD files; I'll give those up as soon as Bill Gates sends you the source code for Windows.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I really wish I had CAD skills like you. Have many ideas bumping around in my head but just cannot wrap my head around 3D CAD for some reason.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Gaiotto

Dread,

Sorry for ask, I think you could send me the plans, anyway.

I really like this design because it seems to be very light (standart today for electric pattern) and this is not an old fashion (I like too) but this is better and I always fly models with that large one piece wing, and yours is two piece wing that´s really good for transportation.

I really understand that amount of work for this beautifull design that you made and I think it will fly better than you think. Anyway, I hope I can buy a set of plans or just the drawings, because you tell that is copyrighted. That´s ok for me if you could someday sell this plans or the drawings, because I do recognize the very large amount of work, research, test etc to design, build and flying a model like this.

As soon as you decide to sell this, I´ll be very interested.

Thanks and best regards

Old 01-27-2010, 09:56 AM
dreadnaut

Gaiotto

No problem.

I am building my own to keep costs down and the wife happy. I think she is coming to terms with the time spent too. I intend to sell some short kits, and possibly some ARC's. Hopefully It will generate enough revenue to make my hobby self-supporting, but I am doubtful it will replace my "day job". First I need to finish it, test it, and make adjustments to things like thrust lines, incidence, dihedral etc. My target is to be able to make it to a contest in March, where I hope to get input from some people who are much better flyers than I am.

I will have two planes by then. The second is with the laser cuter now, and has some design changes made while framing the first. I call them v0.1, and v0.3. V1.0 is on the drawing board, and is ready except for any aerodynamic adjustments I may need to make. I am now in the process of making plugs for the cowl, turtle deck/canopy, and wing tips. I decided on molded fiberglass tips not just to save weight (I do not think it will save that much), but also to insure dead ***** repeatability of the shape. Also, if I do build a few to sell as ARC, it will be faster than carving them, and I would want a little higher labor rate than a 14 year old in China would require.

The design has morphed a lot from the Gator Giles that inspired it, but the thing that I liked about that design was the simple, fast building fuselage structure. The design has been largely driven by that consideration, and DFM (design for manufacturability) is the big difference between making enough to support my habit, and it not being worth the trouble. Two piece wing and stab make it easier to transport in my small car.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:19 AM
dreadnaut

The top side plug is nearly finished. I wound up cutting off the aft section and rebuilding it using bulkheads, stringers and planking. I also have the cowl plug almost ready to paint. I got hurried and side tracked so didn’t get to document the process, but I am back to photographing the key stages.

Name:	Vt58509.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1377666   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45287.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1377667  
Old 02-13-2010, 03:27 AM
dreadnaut

I shaped the canopy and turtle deck back to the vertical stab. Then I positioned it on the fuselage. The two sticks and rubber bands are to maintain proper alignment to the fuse while the fairing is being formed.

I framed up the vertical stab, then Monokoted it. Then I brushed on some PVA and glassed the portion that would become part of the fairing.

Name:	Xv62986.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1377668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10718.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1377669   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28652.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1377670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87064.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1377671  
Old 02-13-2010, 03:31 AM
dreadnaut

The next step was to position the fin, then lay up some filler. I use a lightweight spackle you can find at a home improvement store.

Name:	Vs55710.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1377672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99790.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1377673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51370.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1377674  
Old 02-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Gaiotto

Hello Dreadnut,

I do like to view the plane taking form, wow that´s a great plane and beautiful design, great work man!

I really like F3A planes and this for electric is very nice.

I just want to know why you didn´t use balsa for " filling" the space in the vertical stab between the rear fuse and vertical stab and you use light filler? Maybe the balsa save you some weight...

Best Regards
Gaiotto

Old 02-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Rhilluk

rather than using filler for the fairing on the fin I would have used balsa block profiled to the fin and then sanded to shape as you did with the filler. Then you could have removed the balsa block and hollowed in out more.

Just thought that would have been lighter/
Old 02-13-2010, 09:51 AM
dreadnaut

I just want to know why you didn´t use balsa for '' filling'' the space in the vertical stab between the rear fuse and vertical stab and you use light filler? Maybe the balsa save you some weight...
rather than using filler for the fairing on the fin I would have used balsa block profiled to the fin and then sanded to shape as you did with the filler. Then you could have removed the balsa block and hollowed in out more.
The two steps here were; first use the fin to cast a thin fiberglass shell that would become the inside surface of the fairing-second, build up the fairing to match the contour of the turtle deck. I used the lightweight filler for this because it is very easy to shape, and it becomes pretty hard when you apply resin and fiberglass.

This is not the actual turtle deck that will go on the flying model. It weighs about four pounds so far. It is a plug that will be used to make a female mold (mould for our friends across the pond)

Thanks for the comments I hope to have more pictures up by tomorrow that will make it clearer what I am doing.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:18 PM
1bwana1

I saw the plane at the EMAC contest today.  It is coming out very nice.  I can't wait to see it fly!
Old 02-13-2010, 10:32 PM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: 1bwana1

I saw the plane at the EMAC contest today. It is coming out very nice. I can't wait to see it fly!
I have seen you post before, now I know your face, but can't put the two together. What were you flying?

I hope to enter it in the next EMAC. I was hoping to go to a pattern contest in Yuma next month, but to make it there, I should really be practicing by now.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:49 PM
1bwana1

I was flying the 2 meter Extreme Flight  Extra inAdvanced.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:37 PM
dreadnaut

Well, I kinda let this thread fall off the planet. That does not mean that I stopped working on the plane. I missed the first three contests I had planned to fly it at, and finally finished it last weekend. A rush job delayed the maiden flight till this morning. It was also my first stick time since about February.

The first flight I rotated at about 3/4 throttle and it climbed straight out. Made a couple of ovals and the thing didn't need a click of trim. Second flight was made with the great help of Steve (1bwana1) giving help trimming/tuning, and it was determined that I need to reduce the incidence. It is currently about 1.5 deg.

Some of the speed bumps I had to overcome.

Attempting to paint in mold with Nelson Hobby paints was a disaster. The stuff is water based, and soaked through the PVA and stuck to the molds, ruining them. I have a mixed review on the stuff. The finish without clear coat is a very matte like finish, and it was advertised to be a match for the monokote I used on the wings and turtle deck. See the picture for the results on that. The good is its low odor/toxicity and ease of use. I will use it again, next time I will clear coat. I didn't this time 'cause I was in a hurry to get it in the air.

The AXI 4130 I got from Ebay, and was advertised as "new in box", wasn't. After about one minute of run time it threw a magnet. (When I got it last year, there was a nick in the case where it appears to have been dropped.) Fortunately the U.S. Distributor for Scorpion is about three miles from my home, so I was able to get a replacement quickly. Unfortunately I had to choose between less power than the AXI, or a little more power which would have been too much load on the ICE 75, and would have required getting an ICE 85. The vertical performance is adequate for intermediate, but I will be looking to get the AXI repaired, or replaced.

The final weight is 8.1 lb with 3 oz of weigh in the nose. V1.1 on the drawing board already has the tail shortened by 1" and the wing moved back 1/2" It will also have fixed incidence once I get it tweaked out

Name:	Ca80595.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1439406  
Old 05-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Gaiotto

Hello Dreadnut,

Congrats for your building and your maiden on this plane . Do you have any videos of the maiden? Is this plans will be available for buying or downloading, I really like the design and I think I could build one.

Best regards

Gaiotto
Old 05-20-2010, 03:13 PM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: Gaiotto

Hello Dreadnut,

Congrats for your building and your maiden on this plane . Do you have any videos of the maiden? Is this plans will be available for buying or downloading, I really like the design and I think I could build one.

Best regards

Gaiotto
Gaiotto

I will offer it a a short kit that will include laser cut wood sheets, machine cut wood for ruder, aileron and elevator hinges, spars and stringers. I may or may not offer sheet wood for the wing, stab and rudder sheeting. It will also include fiberglass cowl, canopy turtle deck, and wing/stab tips. CF wing and stab tubes with FG sleeves. and CF landing gear. As short kits go, it is not that short.

You need to be a little patient. Test flights are revealing small changes that need to be made. The plans and laser cut files will need to be finalized. I also need to make a few more of the FG parts to be confident I can produce them at a good level of quality. For example, I got a canopy I could use on the third try. I am very happy with the finish and weight. (The first was 90g. The third was a FG/foam/FG vacuum sandwich that came out much stiffer at about 60 g). The quality is still not at the level I would be happy to sell. Each one is a learning experience for me.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:25 PM
1bwana1

Dave,
  It was fun to watch the maiden.  The plane is very straight as exhibited by the lack of trim adjustments required, and how well it tracked.  The flying weight looked just about perfect. Once you get the incidences set I'm sure it will be a great performer.  I'm looking forward to seeing the design progress.  Let's get together again, and get the plane and your thumbs tuned up for the next contest!  A;so, San Diego will be having it's first fully sanctioned AMA Pattern event in years this August.  Your timing is perfect!

Steve