Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Temp gun

Old 05-22-2010, 08:21 PM
rooker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp gun

My temp gun broke in the middle of tuning. I was tuning for the first time in a few months, trucks running fine but I was tuning b/c it has gotten warmer. Trying to get a little faster and make it shift to 2nd gear. I never have heard it go to 2nd since I hadit. So, I didn't want to buy another temp gun if the folks I purchased this one will make good on it.

My question is this, Would you guys feel comfortable with running your truck w/o knowing the temp? I have plenty of smoke coming out of the pipe, just worried about temp.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:36 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Temp gun

i only bought a temp gun 1 month ago, but been runnin' nitro for a lot longer than that.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:41 PM
rooker

so you feel comfortable with smoke out of the pipe, I have holes cut in the body and have the better cooling head on my 2.5r
Old 05-22-2010, 09:12 PM
RCCanuck

I ran without a temp gun for years....tuning can be done with sound,,performance and smoke trail with no issues......If you're really worried about it take a small medication dropper and fill it with water when the engine is up to temps drop a drop of water on the top of the cooling head and count how long it takes to sizzle away...3-4 seconds is about right....if it sizzles away faster its to lean.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:31 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: RCCanuck

I ran without a temp gun for years....tuning can be done with sound,,performance and smoke trail with no issues......If you're really worried about it take a small medication dropper and fill it with water when the engine is up to temps drop a drop of water on the top of the cooling head and count how long it takes to sizzle away...3-4 seconds is about right....if it sizzles away faster its to lean.
yup that's what used to do
Old 05-23-2010, 01:26 AM
Shabbernigdo

ive never had a temp gun i always just use the water method or check the temp with my finger.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:43 PM
rooker

sizzling water!! I would have never thought of that.  I hope the folks I purchased the temp gun will send me another, I only had it a few months and only used it a hand full of times.  It still shows a temp but the red indicator light quit. 

Thanks for the water idea, if it quits raining i will fire my truck up and try it.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 AM
ArloRogers

Sight and sound are the best when it comes to tuning a nitro engine. I have 27 years in the hobby and have had a temp gun and radar for only the last 2 years. At some point you will get to where you just know which way and when to tune. I find the temp gun good for reference and teaching. It is also good for monitoring performance after you tune. Once you have your engine tuned correct, check the temp. It should stay about the same for the rest of the day. Any real change will indicate a change in the weather requiring a new tune, Air Filter needing cleaned, Or a problem such as an air leak ect..
Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 PM
rooker

10-4, I am rather new to this and started out with a temp gun.  just feel safer with it!! 
Old 05-25-2010, 06:57 AM
only1battman

i never had a temp gun before and i dont plan to buy one.  i have always done my tuning by sound and sight but mostly from sound.  if it sounds screeching too high i rich it if it sounds kinda deep and bubbly then i lean it. i usally run a little rich.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 AM
gpix13
My Feedback: (4)

I haven't been in the nitro class for but two weeks. I was watching videos on the break in processes and whatnot quite a bit before I actually took out my truck and I bought a temp gun just in case because some of the videos suggested it. But in my opinion, its all about preference, I honestly do not use the temp gun and if your engine is running fine and you think it sounds pretty good I doubt you're running to high or too low of a temp. Trust your senses.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:06 PM
animalnut

The best temp gun is right there with you SPIT right on the engine head if it evaporates in a few seconds your good just sits there lean it up a hair theres more power to be had and if it dances off the engine richen it up a quarter turn, but if you are really worried about it IR temp guns can read way off depending on sunshine wind blowing and the surface itself(anodized or polished) If you want the closest reading possible get a mip on-board temp gauge and position the sensor on the lowest fin of the cooling head 180degrees opposite of the exhaust.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:33 PM
rooker

thanks guys for the ideas

I didn't even get a response from the company I purchased from, that's what I get for trying to save $2 from Ebay.  If I had purchased from LHS the guy would have just gave me another one, no questions.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:01 PM
nitro stan

ORIGINAL: rooker

sizzling water!! I would have never thought of that. I hope the folks I purchased the temp gun will send me another, I only had it a few months and only used it a hand full of times. It still shows a temp but the red indicator light quit.

Thanks for the water idea, if it quits raining i will fire my truck up and try it.

lazer pointer on it? if it still reads a temp then run with it. i have one with a lazer pointer on it,but i hold the gun aginst the head and read the temp at the glow plug.

DONT GET HUNG UP ON THE TEMP GUN THING. you wont have any fun checking the engine temp every 5 feet it runs. i use mine more on my electric trucks after a gear change than i do nitros