Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Hanger Nine Twin Otter build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Hanger Nine Twin Otter build

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 11:29 PM
WacoKidd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger Nine Twin Otter build

I just received my Hnger 9 Twin Otter and decided to post a build thread to get some input from more experienced modelers and to help out less experienced ones. I decided to build this model manly because I have two matching Thunder Tiger 46 two stroke engines sitting on my bench from previous crashesI have found that it is always my fault. I would have liked to put four strokes in but,money made up my mind. The box was very large, upon opening it I was at first, impressed. Upon further unpacking I found that the stabilizer/elevator assemblies were both damagedI read elsewhere that this was a problem with this kit. The packaging wasn't up to the usual Hngr 9 quality (are you listening Hanger Nine?) The three boxes inside the big box have all the misc. stuff just thrown in? and one box is glued on top so that you can't open the one under to get at the wing panels. Now some good, The fuse is a nice general build, I wasn't thrilled with the side door, The hinge had glue all over the outside, other than that it ispretty impressive. I like the fact that the control surfaces are already hinged(except the rudder) I didn't like the white control horns already mounted,I prefer to use better quality control linkage. I like the the way the servo's are hidden in the wings but not sure about how strong they are going to mount on the panels? I was impressed with the narcells wanted to see how they fit on the wing. At first I had a hard time trying to slide them on, tight fit then, I figured it out. If you put your index finger and thumb on either side of the top piece of fiberglass to "guide the slide" it goes on nicely. They look nice in place. That's about all I got done today, will post more as the build goes on, would love to hear of others building this model
<hr /> If you only have to pick up one piece,....it was a good day flying!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Pete Bergstrom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hanger Nine Twin Otter build

ORIGINAL: WacoKidd

I just received my Hnger 9 Twin Otter and decided to post a build thread to get some input from more experienced modelers and to help out less experienced ones. I decided to build this model manly because I have two matching Thunder Tiger 46 two stroke engines sitting on my bench from previous crashesI have found that it is always my fault. I would have liked to put four strokes in but,money made up my mind. The box was very large, upon opening it I was at first, impressed. Upon further unpacking I found that the stabilizer/elevator assemblies were both damagedI read elsewhere that this was a problem with this kit. The packaging wasn't up to the usual Hngr 9 quality (are you listening Hanger Nine?) The three boxes inside the big box have all the misc. stuff just thrown in? and one box is glued on top so that you can't open the one under to get at the wing panels.
<hr /> If you only have to pick up one piece,....it was a good day flying!
Yes, we are listening. We have heard reports of this in the first shipment run and have devised a method to stop this in the future. Generally by taping parts within the box so they cannot shift gets the parts to you in great shape. The problem as I see it is the nacelles should have been packed with the hatch pin covered with a foam block, and these pins facing to the inside of the box, not towards the stab/elevator assemblies. Please be sure to call our product support people (phone number in the instruction manual) and we will get some new tail feathers on the way to you.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the build!

Pete
Old 04-01-2010, 02:23 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

I am looking forward to the build. Any chance of posting pictures as you go?

Bruce
Old 04-02-2010, 11:12 AM
WacoKidd

I have to give credit to businesses that stand behind their products,Mr. Bergstrom was correct,I called Hanger Nine the next day and they said they would send me two elevators ASAP!
I finished installing all the servo's, the narcells mounted nicely. Last night I finished the rudder install(at two in the morning) I can fit my whole upper arm in thru the side door! helps with the pull-pull install. This model has great access to the huge fuse interior,three hatches and the large double door on the left. All the control surfaces are blow mold plastic I think and have nice panel lines. I temporarily mounted the landing gear to see the plane assembled, and get some photo's, looks great in my garage/hanger, the wingspan is 82" looks like it will fly great! if you look on the shelf behind it you can see my last model the Hanger Nine Sundowner. I'm very pleased with the model will start the engine install today. Hopefully I can figure out how to post my photo's,little new to this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11888.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1410087  
Old 04-02-2010, 11:48 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can never have too many photos. A pic is worth a thousand words, as you know.
You can upload as many as 6 per post.
Bring IT!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:19 PM
fly3789

hi, the evolution .46 power trainer is a good choise for the twin otter?
thanks
Old 04-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Pete Bergstrom

We recommend the 36's because they fit so nicely in the cowls and have plenty of power - very comparable to a good 40. The TPS 46's will of course work with the airplane but the extra power is unnecessary on this lightly loaded airplane. As a note to everyone, we flew the very first prototypes on the EFLPower 15's and it flew well. On the Power 25's the takeoff performace is awesome and the single engine performance leaves nothing to be complained about either.

Pete
Old 04-02-2010, 03:10 PM
fly3789

thanks, i have a .46 power trainer with the fly wheel and evolution 3 blades prop. and the sound is close to a turbo prop. do you know if the .36 can use the same fly wheel and 3 blades prop. is only because the sound is more realistic than the one in the video.
thanks
Old 04-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Pete Bergstrom

I've never tried to put the flywheel on the 36's. Use can use the three bladed props but you will likely lose some top end speed. Acceleration will be great.

Pete
Old 04-05-2010, 11:04 AM
fly3789

hi, the saito fa 40 is a good option if i use a three blades prop.? i want to get a very close turboprop sound but i dont like electric. do you think the saito 40 is better than the 2 stroke.
thanks
jesus escobar
Old 04-05-2010, 07:54 PM
fly3789

hi, any body knows the size of the wheels of the twin otter?
thanks
Old 04-05-2010, 10:22 PM
WacoKidd

The size of the wheels are 3.5 rear and I'm not sure of the front,it's a little smaller. All the wheels are already mounted on this model,it seams they keep doing more and more on ARF's Some things I like,some I don't. Because I'm using two stroke engines I wanted to try to make it sound more realistic,I've been told if I overprop the engines it might sound better,I've also been told that three bladed props are very quite,not sure that's what I want. I've also been thinking about the color of the props,wood or plastic. The nacelles are black on top and white on bottom with white plastic spinners provided. At first I was thinking about a yellow tipped wooden prop,then I thought about a black three bladed prop,still not sure. I had a bit of a hard time with the throttle servo's.Not sure if the holes were cut out correctly,I used a longer control arm to rectify this. The flaps are nice the way the control arms are hidden inside the wings.
I do like the servo's mounted inside on hatches,I built a Sig Waco SRE,very nice plane but,...all the servo's were mounted on the outside,wish they had hatch mounts. The fuse is huge, I was wondering if I could figure out a way to make parachuters come out of the side door!...any ideas??
Old 05-24-2010, 08:07 PM
jbettinelli

I just got mine as well. Ordered the servos, BUT I dont think Horizon was prepared to have the 36 EVO's to go with them, and I am not going electric.

Have to wait until July now for final assembly...

Joe
Old 08-03-2010, 11:54 AM
peterbrown

To Pete Bergstrom.

I have a pair of un-run Saito 45's (still in their boxes) which were reserved for a Partenavia Victor Twin but it never got built.

Looks like they would sit nicely inverted in the Otter.and probably enough power as well.

What do you think???

Regards. Peter. (U.K.)
Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 PM
p-80

idk saito 40s seem to small and the saito 56 everyone keeps saying is two long ? its a stale mate i want a first twin and ai want 4 stroke power
Old 08-03-2010, 08:44 PM
p-80

i looked at rcv 60 spas but their reliability is unknown to me i hav only read about issues with them
Old 08-03-2010, 08:46 PM
p-80

finally my optimum engines for this plane would be sati 62s or ys 70s both powerful and light the ys has short stoke and thus fits in smaller cowls more over the sati 62 is a shorter stroke than the saito 56