Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

hpi pro 4 can it hang with newer kits?

Old 05-28-2010, 01:45 PM
dragon2k2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hpi pro 4 can it hang with newer kits?

My friend is wanting to sell me a hpi pro 4 roller for $85, so is it worth it? Can it hang with newer kits, im just looking for a fun car that is easy to work on and can atleast hang with newer cars. i will be racing, but just for fun. i dont want a car that will just be getting smoked or break down every time i race.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:30 PM
rc18junky

Default RE: hpi pro 4 can it hang with newer kits?

there not bad cars the car you run is not the only factor a little skill will go a long way
Old 05-28-2010, 02:50 PM
dragon2k2

i kno that, but im just wonderin if i do my part will it do its part, like handle good and not break down every time i run it. and not be so outdated that the newer cars just fly by it.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:01 PM
FoamyVictim

I raced my Pro 4 for a couple years. With 19T brushed motors or equivalent, it's a great car. Anything more than that, and the shaft just vibrates like crazy. I'm pretty sure that's why most modern touring cars have belts. So if you plan to use a 13.5 brushless, you're good. Anything beyond that, it may not hold up.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:03 PM
dragon2k2

What is better to race a shaft driven or belt driven car?
Old 05-28-2010, 03:07 PM
rc18junky

is not really out dated just discontinued most of the serious racers will be running belt drive which is known to handle a bit better but the shaft drive are know to be a little more durable drive train wise. on-road car seem to hold up well providing you don't crash it . just keep and eye on the rear diff if you going to put a brushless motor in it. i never had a vibrating drive shaft problem in the one i had but i just might had been lucky with mine
Old 05-28-2010, 03:14 PM
dragon2k2

Well i had a trininty t spec and it was the biggest POS in the world no1 at my local track who had one (there was 4 others) ever finished a race without something messing up (usually drivetrain) and they were the hardest vehicles to work on; it was just a bad experience. so now im worry of what to buy now.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:34 PM
rc18junky

at the 85 dollar price range you could get a tc3 or tc4 that would hold up but not a big favorite at the tracks thats for sure. i guess the only way to be competitive it to get a tc5 or xray among others
Old 05-28-2010, 04:07 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pro4 was not designed the best, mine had some problems with the diffs slipping and the center drive shaft binding in the cups under load. You definitely want something belt driven, look at the losi touring cars, they are built like tanks and still extremely competitive. It doesn't have to be new to be good.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:34 PM
dragon2k2

ok thanks guys. im just going to wait and get a associated t4 or losi xxx-s.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:38 AM
FoamyVictim

There's also the Ofna car. Like I said, unless you plan to run hot mod motors to go 50+ mph, then a shaft is just fine. My 19T car went over 40 mph without issue. But once I put a brushless 5.5 in it, THAT'S when I started having problems. The shaft vibrated so much, it hit the battery and shot SPARKS! [&:] But that only happened at very high speeds. Everywhere else, it was a dream machine. I kicked much booty, and won several races with my Pro 4. Now I'm running it in VTA.

Here's the ofna I was describing. At about $120, it's a BARGAIN:

http://www.ofna.com/jl10e.php

Old 05-29-2010, 10:54 AM
dragon2k2

ya i have looked at it. but im wanting a car that i can upgrade along the way, and i havent seen any hop ups for it cause its suppose to be a spec car. i havent heard any news on whether or not its a good or bad car. do you kno any good forums about the jl-10?
Old 05-30-2010, 10:31 AM
FoamyVictim

There's a thread on RC Tech; I might end up with one. I like the idea of minimal maintenance, and easy driving. It'd be a great VTA or GT car. I got an Xray T2R Pro so I could start under $300, and upgrade my way to T2 009.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:53 PM
mindwreck

thats a good like piece of kit. got all the good stuff you want for a cheap price by keeping it simple. fiber glass construction makes it light and cheap.

for 120 thats a great deal
Old 05-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Willystylz

the JL10e does look like a super value..........was also trolling the thread on RCTech
Old 05-30-2010, 05:35 PM
dragon2k2

how durable is the fiberglass construction? i havent had a vehicle that uses that. im planning on running it in rcgt class with a 17.5 brushless. just watched the youtube video of jeffery linn winning the championship with his bone stok jl10. thanks i found the forum on rctech lot of good info, and i havent read to many complaints about it.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 PM
OLD-SCHOOL

get it the hpi pro 4 was sweet, it handled much like todays hot bodies cars (cyclone)..very smooth and they carried alot of corner speed when set up right..  and corner speed is key thats why the xray is so sikk.