Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 05:37 AM
ss40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

ORIGINAL: Highflight

ORIGINAL: ss40

SO there will be an Aurora 9''B: when everything is built in!!
Planned obsolescence
For a software change? Why?

All it would take is an update which the A9 is already enabled to have done by the user anyway.
I guess you didn't catch the "built in" reference which to me means version "B"!

As here
"I'm sure it's possible that we could change the binding process in the future when everything is built in. We'll just have to see what the future brings...

Mike."

That's a ..hint..hint...nudge..nudge comment if I ever saw one.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:00 AM
czaiss

even if one day they come out with a different version, you forget they have amazingly provided the ability to update the firmware for all the modules, transmitter, and receivers. Without having to send your radio in for service so for now we may be able to get just what we want without having to buy another radio.

Many of the features we are discussing, they may be able to change by updating the software.

It doesnt change the wire hanging out the back, I'm still not sure why people are so wound up about it, I've been using it since november and dont think ive even come close to breaking it off.

However it does seem the ease by which the module goes into scan (which requires relinking entire fleet) should be addressed and is worth the fuss.

Although I'm happy to say so far all the updates to the aurora programming have been super, Having a touch lock on the screen for example sure provides piece of mind,
Old 05-30-2010, 12:13 AM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: grinsv1

Hello

What is the antenne power of the Aurora 9 2,4 GHz?
Are all Aurora 9 the same. I mean sold in United States are the same as sold in Europe?
In other words. Is a Aurora 9 bought in United States allowed in Europe?

Regards
Arie
It's all the same world wide... 100mw.

Mike.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:24 PM
tankengine

ORIGINAL: udet1918

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

I am not sure about the intermittent power concern due to low battery-he runs a dual fromeco battery set up with tbm regulators-never had a problem with the set up and he was using a 10x-He has not found any reasons yet but the hull is laying on his bench and he states he has found nothing .
Did the ''stepping'' happen while in flight after everything looked good on the ground?

Ron
Hey Guys, I just read this. It reminds me of my experience with my new A9. I've not flown it yet, just setting up an AJ Slick 70 Gas. While installing servos on the bench I found myself turning off the TX while leaving on the receiver to make mechanical adjustments to linkage. When I turned the TX on again all the while wondering if I was supposed to turn off the receiver too then TX on Receiver on, all the servos worked but intermittently much like you say "stepping". My battery in the TX said 76%, the eneloop 6V pack was hot off the charger. I then turned the Receiver and Transmitter off then turned on the TX then the receiver and everything worked fine. I have not tried this again but I will just for the sake of the experience. I have read very little of the manual so I'm zero knowledge about this situation but if your not supposed to turn off the TX then back on while leaving the receiver on bla bla bla.

thanks,

tankengine/Tom Bufkin
Old 05-30-2010, 08:13 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: tankengine

I am not sure about the intermittent power concern due to low battery-he runs a dual fromeco battery set up with tbm regulators-never had a problem with the set up and he was using a 10x-He has not found any reasons yet but the hull is laying on his bench and he states he has found nothing .
Did the ''stepping'' happen while in flight after everything looked good on the ground?

Ron
Hey Guys, I just read this. It reminds me of my experience with my new A9. I've not flown it yet, just setting up an AJ Slick 70 Gas. While installing servos on the bench I found myself turning off the TX while leaving on the receiver to make mechanical adjustments to linkage. When I turned the TX on again all the while wondering if I was supposed to turn off the receiver too then TX on Receiver on, all the servos worked but intermittently much like you say ''stepping''. My battery in the TX said 76%, the eneloop 6V pack was hot off the charger. I then turned the Receiver and Transmitter off then turned on the TX then the receiver and everything worked fine. I have not tried this again but I will just for the sake of the experience. I have read very little of the manual so I'm zero knowledge about this situation but if your not supposed to turn off the TX then back on while leaving the receiver on bla bla bla.

thanks,

tankengine/Tom Bufkin
Hi Guys,
Just thinking out loud a little as all this type of discussion is making me think that it would be wise for all A9 owners to use the failsafe feature.
Reason I think so is that while setting my airplanes up I never turned off the Tx and just left the Rx on. Always followed the Tx / Rx On and the Rx / Tx Off rule. So Ive yet to have a "stepping" issue. IMO the Tx battery has ample capacity for playing around. Anyway...
Once the failsafe was setup I tested the settings by turning the Tx off and watched as the Rx commanded the throttle servo to go to idle while the other controls held neutral. Then the Tx was powered back up and everything checked out ok. Ive even demonstrated the failsafe feature to a couple guys at the field with all results being ok. (yeah I know failsafe isnt anything new, Ive used it for years with PCM stuff but a lot of folks still ignore it)
My thinking is that its best to go ahead and Tell the Rx in advance what we want it to do when its not getting input from the Tx instead of it going into a state of confusion.

Cheers,
James
Old 06-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Mavrik!

Mike,

Are there plans for an Aroura 10 or even an or 12 channel TX?? Is it possible to software update the Aroura 9 to add a few more channels? You would then only need to produce a RX with more cahnnels than the Optima 9.

Even 1 more cahnnel would help me out with some of my set up to save Y leading servos!

Mav
Old 06-01-2010, 11:48 AM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: tankengine

Ron
Hey Guys, I just read this. It reminds me of my experience with my new A9. I've not flown it yet, just setting up an AJ Slick 70 Gas. While installing servos on the bench I found myself turning off the TX while leaving on the receiver to make mechanical adjustments to linkage. When I turned the TX on again all the while wondering if I was supposed to turn off the receiver too then TX on Receiver on, all the servos worked but intermittently much like you say ''stepping''. My battery in the TX said 76%, the eneloop 6V pack was hot off the charger. I then turned the Receiver and Transmitter off then turned on the TX then the receiver and everything worked fine. I have not tried this again but I will just for the sake of the experience. I have read very little of the manual so I'm zero knowledge about this situation but if your not supposed to turn off the TX then back on while leaving the receiver on bla bla bla.

thanks,

tankengine/Tom Bufkin
Yep, I have seen that happen to me. One must turn on the Tx and select YES to transmit first before turn on the Rx for the whole thing to link properly. On one of my plane, I can get that to happen 20% of the time. By turning on the Rx first, I have no control on channel 5 through 9. I have relink a couple times already and still see that happen once in a while.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:36 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: Mavrik!

Mike,

Are there plans for an Aroura 10 or even an or 12 channel TX?? Is it possible to software update the Aroura 9 to add a few more channels? You would then only need to produce a RX with more cahnnels than the Optima 9.

Even 1 more cahnnel would help me out with some of my set up to save Y leading servos!

Mav
Sure there are plans.... but don't expect anything shortly. No, the current system is limited to 9 channels.

Mike.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:37 PM
JIMF14D

Why is this all such a surprise? Since there was RC the rule always Tx on first and off last.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

Why is this all such a surprise? Since there was RC the rule always Tx on first and off last.
Hi
Count me out of that one , ............................... I learnt this over 30 years ago , it,s called protocol ,
Old 06-02-2010, 05:30 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why can't the A9's Rx be switched on before the Tx and still have a reliable link?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 AM
JIMF14D

Ithink that is a extra cost option........
Old 06-02-2010, 10:29 AM
JIMF14D

Maybe Mayberry can unwind this one: Inoticed the bind proceedure in the A9 manual.....

Binding when Transmitter is in Normal Mode
a. For the Aurora, turn on the transmitter Press and hold the button on the module, and press Transmit Yes, red LED will flash,
release the button.
b. Press and hold the button on the receiver, turn on the receiver, red LED is on solid, release the button on the receiver.
After receiver is powered-up, the red LED glows solid and the blue LED flash's on the module.
c. Turn off receiver.
d. Turn
off
transmitte.
e Turn on transmitter, red LED is solid.
f. Turn on receiver, red LED is solid, after a moment the module will beep 4 times very quickly
g. You should now have control over the model as the transmitter and module are linked in Normal lylode.

is different from the instruction sheet that comes with the 2.4ghz module/Rx package....Which says press button on TXmodule first and then turn on TX. Maybe is the cause of some users binding problems?

Jim D

Old 06-02-2010, 10:37 AM
ExcaliburIII

That's just the way it is and some things will never change.

Them in-structions says to turn on the Transmitter thingy first then turn on the receiver thingy, how freakin hard is it to just do it the right way.

If you have to do it different just to be different you can expect a different outcome from the flight you are about to do differently.

LOLOLOL
Old 06-02-2010, 10:47 AM
JIMF14D

You missed the point wise guy. There are two different sets of words. Iknow the A9 words work. I did have problems binding when I got my module and Rx pair so maybe other people did too.

Hitec could comment who the situation and if the paper is wrong they could eventually make it right.

How hard is that to understand!

Have fun..........
Old 06-02-2010, 01:14 PM
gsoav8r

Hey Guys,
My experience binding Rx's suggest that the A9 manual is ok. Everything has worked fine for me just using the manual. I currently have one Optima 7 and one Optima 9.
The little quick shortcut cards that came with the Rx I never used. I glanced at em and then just stuffed em back in the box. Looked like something Id loose anyway. Hard to misplace that novel of a manual.

The second issue is why folks cant just follow the manual concerning Tx on first and off last. The A9 isnt just a dumb radio like the 72mhz stuff is that really doesnt care what the operator turns on first. The A9 might be better thought of as a computer system that requires a certain protocol for repeated successful use.

Cheers,
James
Old 06-02-2010, 02:24 PM
czaiss

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

Maybe Mayberry can unwind this one: Inoticed the bind proceedure in the A9 manual.....

Binding when Transmitter is in Normal Mode
a. For the Aurora, turn on the transmitter Press and hold the button on the module, and press Transmit Yes, red LED will flash,
release the button.
b. Press and hold the button on the receiver, turn on the receiver, red LED is on solid, release the button on the receiver.
After receiver is powered-up, the red LED glows solid and the blue LED flash's on the module.
c. Turn off receiver.
d. Turn
off
transmitte.
e Turn on transmitter, red LED is solid.
f. Turn on receiver, red LED is solid, after a moment the module will beep 4 times very quickly
g. You should now have control over the model as the transmitter and module are linked in Normal lylode.

is different from the instruction sheet that comes with the 2.4ghz module/Rx package....Which says press button on TXmodule first and then turn on TX. Maybe is the cause of some users binding problems?

Jim D

I idea here is that you have to still be holding the button on the transmitter module when it starts to transmit, on a prism or optic, simply turning the radio on is sufficient, on the aurora it doesnt transmit until you allow it. Its a problem with writers wanting to keep it simple, and having two types of procedures for different instalations. They should have said :

press and hold the module button then turn on the transmitter,(transmit yes), then release module button.

Although admitedly you almost need three arms to pull this off, one to hold the radio, one to press and holdthe button on the back, and a final one to turn it on,look at the screen and press transmit.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:08 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: czaiss I idea here is that you have to still be holding the button on the transmitter module when it starts to transmit, on a prism or optic, simply turning the radio on is sufficient, on the aurora it doesnt transmit until you allow it. Its a problem with writers wanting to keep it simple, and having two types of procedures for different instalations. They should have said :
press and hold the module button then turn on the transmitter,(transmit yes), then release module button.
Although admitedly you almost need three arms to pull this off, one to hold the radio, one to press and holdthe button on the back, and a final one to turn it on, look at the screen and press transmit.

FWIW relating to recent posts, Transmitter On First - Off Last has been well documented for many years.

Manuals for A9, Spectra Pro and Optima RX were written at the time of V1.03 and are still essentially correct.
"AFHSS - ID-Setup A.K.A, binding or linking & Range Testing Spectra Pro Module <> Optima Receiver " may be easier to understand for many users.

AFHSS - Normal & Scan Modes Explained includes Redundant (Dual) Receivers.
AFHSS - How To Select Optimum Channels - For Your Field
refer also to
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 06-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Michel

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Why can't the A9's Rx be switched on before the Tx and still have a reliable link?
Hi

I found this statement above very funny .

I guess if I want to talk to someone on the phone I,ll ask them to pick up the phone first .

It,s protocol for ALL systems ,............................... NO MATTER WHAT MAKE OR BRAND YOU HAVE ,................... PERIOD .

I guess he doesn,t do much reading
Old 06-02-2010, 10:43 PM
rctom

I've been flying R/C for 15 years. I have used every brand of radio that exists, and almost every model of 2.4 radios.

I have never paid the slightest attention to which component I turn on first and I always achieve a solid connection.

The only exception to this has been a few times with JR/Spektrum the transmitter and receiver would not link, some people on here say it "would not bind". But if I turn everything off and back on it will usually link up. I have found no correlation with which component comes on first.

When I saw the above statement I went out and tested a couple planes that have Aurora transmitter/Optima receiver. It makes no difference which side is powered up first, they still talk to each other just fine.

When I think about how I do things, I usually turn the plane on first, then I go get my transmitter and turn it on. I developed this habit when using 72 mhz. because turning the plane on first could possibly alert me that somebody else was using my channel, if the controls started moving in a controlled manner I'd know that somebody else was on. That never happened, but that's how my habits came to be as they are.

TF
Old 06-03-2010, 12:38 AM
MikeMayberry

That is my experience as well Tom... sometimes I just figure if someone feels more comfortable following the old school (72mhz) way then I won't deter them from it. Hey... "if it works for you!"

I have even turned off my transmitter while on the bench and have never had one hint of a problem relinking when I powered it back up. I do leave throttle lock on at all times though. I've also never set the failsafe nor have I ever experienced or even seen a system lock out.

This system has been beyond bulletproof... I guess it sure pays to be last to the market sometimes!

Mike.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 AM
JIMF14D

Well Ithink both of you guys are fostering bad RC safety habits!

But Idid enjoy seeing Mike go plane diving at the RC meet!

Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 AM
bss_rcu

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle

ORIGINAL: rudder turns

Hi Guys,I have 10,2.4 hitec receivers,so If I accidentally go into scan mode,when range testing, I than have to rebind all of my planes.[:@] If that is the case I would suggest that It should be allot harder to get into scan mode,possibly holding the button for 30 seconds.
I was also curious how many of you guys use Scan mode????Thanks ED
Hi rudder turns

Thats a good one , put it in the wish list ,............................ I agree completely [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Michel
I also faced this problem. In normal mode, while doing the range check the system shifted to scan mode (or I might have done something stupid to change the mode). Thought it was binding issue. I could only realise after I saw significant delay in rx response after switching on the tx. Managed to come back to normal mode using the manual. Later we did range check on a friends A9 without any such problem.

I still think it would be good idea to have alternate binding mechanism where you plug the rx to tx through wire and say "bind now".
Old 06-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Brendan Lugo

My own personal thought (from my 20 years in this hobby) on this "on" first "off" last is that it is bad practice and a lack of safety by not following the the procedure of "TX ON FIRST" and "OFF LAST". I've seen too many problems out at the flying fields over the years of people being bit by the prop on electric models and gears being stripped or servos smoking from being driven hard over by people not following these simple steps. You may get away with it for a while but eventually one or the other will bite you under the right circumstances. Is it worth taking that chance? By simply following the on first off last steps that every manufacturer preaches, you will NEVER have a bad issue.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:11 AM
gsoav8r

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

That is my experience as well Tom... sometimes I just figure if someone feels more comfortable following the old school (72mhz) way then I won't deter them from it. Hey... ''if it works for you!''

I have even turned off my transmitter while on the bench and have never had one hint of a problem relinking when I powered it back up. I do leave throttle lock on at all times though. I've also never set the failsafe nor have I ever experienced or even seen a system lock out.

This system has been beyond bulletproof... I guess it sure pays to be last to the market sometimes!

Mike.
Wow, I didnt know the failsafe feature was useless. That will save me a whole whopping minute when setting up my planes.
Seriously, minus 10 cool points for not promoting a safety feature that Hitec bothered to include.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.